The Interceptors: Issue #0

Dr Archeville

"Now that is a good question." Jack looked around. "I get the feeling we're maybe not all on the same page here. I didn't get a whole lot more that time and place, frankly." He turned to face the couch where Grim was lounging. "How about it, Magical Girl Sailor Jersey? Seems like you've got the inside scoop. Dish."

That information is limited, at best. Kristian came back into the living room and set his gaze on the petite brunette in Scooby-Doo pajamas. I wonder what she knows about this operation that I don't.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jack leaned against a nearby table as Grim shifted her outfit not once but twice. "Well, that's gotta be a time saver. So much for supers putting their pants on one leg at a time like everyone else." He made note when Velocity mentioned Blink's name, then gave a good-natured smirk when she introduced herself. "Yeah, I know. You're sort of a big deal, huh?" He placed his hands far apart, as if indicating distance, then drew them closer together. "I'm more of a think globally, act locally kinda guy. Jack of all Blades. Friends just call me Jack." The swashbuckler shrugged. "Well, friends and people looking to save time."

“Nice to meet you then Jack.†Velocity replied with a warm smile. She then turned back to Blink as the other woman replied.

Replying to Velocity she said, "I suppose it is... it's just usually that the people I deal with are a lot more reserved... and military. I think I just need to adjust my thinking a bit."

“It's not really as hard as you think.†She replied encouragingly with a small grin.

All-Star flashed his most winning smile. "Ah you've heard of me?" he asked. "Really The Captain and Lady Liberty?" He beamed, then his expression clouded with concern. "They're aren't still mad about the thing with the space moles right? Cause I think I cleaned up the mess pretty well."

Velocity giggled slightly. “Nah, they have moved beyond that one.†She replied with a dismissive wave.

He rubbed his chin ignoring the others. "So you're Velocity," he added as he walked along. "Johnny Rocket seems to think you're something special." He crossed his arms. The tone was lighthearted but there was an undercurrent of challenge.

The speedster then gave a broad grin. “Weeeeell, that’s cause I once KO’ed his evil doppelganger from another dimension.â€Â

It was then that Jack and All-Star got into a bit of a chest-thumping contest…

Jack's eyebrow twitched almost imperceptibly at All-Star's abrasive attitude. At least Lady MacParanoid over there is polite. When the caped man gave the swordsman an appraising look, clearly expecting an introduction, Jack snapped to attention and saluted smartly. "Captain Stupendous Magnifico, Scion of a Thousand Stars, Son of Admiral Awesomestien, Slayer of Chupacabras, long may his name sound in the hallowed halls of my people." He gave All-Star a grave look. "Far have I traveled to meet the one called All-Star. We face a terrible enemy, and our only hope is a weapon powered by pure ego. You are our only hope." The swashbuckler leaned back against the table. "That said, I also answer to Jack," he drawled, deadpan.

All-Star frowned. "Wow," he said. "That is a lot of names. I like Jack though nice and simple."

Velocity just rolled her eyes slightly (behind the visor) as she instead focused on the newest, and apparently youngest, arrival. While he did not look like much, she had learned long ago that things where not always what they seemed. “Hi Kristian.†She said with a warm smile. “I’m Velocity.â€Â

With her ears drinking up any scraps of conversation, it did indeed appear that this was the team that the rather vague letter had referred too. A collection of heroes... how did I end up here and who made that mistake. Frankly, the idea hadn't ever really crossed her mind; heroing that is. She had never been able to figure out a way to make it pay the bills. Although perhaps now there was a way. Several of the gathered heroes, of which a few she recognized from various interviews and intelligence briefings, certainly seemed to think that this team was a foregone conclusion. If that were the case, the sniping displayed was a bad omen of things to come. While seemingly minor, there were undercurrents of challenge in more than one introduction.

"I hope it is not. You seem to have some experience to draw from I take it?" she said quietly to Velocity.

Then more to the group she said, "excuse me, if you don't mind my asking. Do any of you know precisely why we are here? My offer was rather vague on details and high on promise. I just would like to know all of the cards on the table before leaping to other conclusions. I have already been wrong a number of times today."

"An excellent question, madame!" a voice called out from nowhere. Jack recognized the voice, as that of The Man From The TV. "And, I might add, an excellent lead-in for...."

One section of wall slid back silently, revealing a large flat-screen. On it was what appeared to be a gregarious talk show host, slightly tanned, with hair frozen by too much hairspray. The background was a talk show set, though a moment's study revealed it was obviously computer generated imagery, as if the speaker were in front of a blue screen.

"... me! Call me Vince, all the ladies do," he added with a wink. "You've all been made a very special offer, one that neither comes often nor should be taken lightly. But before we get into the details of what you'll be doing, let's see those fabulous prizes!"

More sections of walls slid away, revealing rows and rows of cutting edge computer and communications equipment.

"But wait, there's more!" Vince chimed as a 10x10 foot section of the floor in the center of the living room sank in and then retracted, revealing a set of spiral stairs down down. Lights soon shone up from whatever rooms were down there. "All the really cool stuff's down there - go on!"

When asked about being the cowboy at the carnival, Colt had simply nodded his acknowledgement. Through most of the conversation, he simply watched and listened, trying to get a feel for who he was dealing with. Though, he did chuckle audibly at the exchange between Jack and All-Star.

After the various computers, communications systems, and finally the strange stairwell revealed themselves, Colt finally spoke. "Reckon I've only really been in town fer less than a month. But one thing I learned is ta stop askin' so many questions. If'n y'all're patient, the answers'll come." He started down the steps, boldly being the first one. "An' I believe y'all just got yers."

Maneuvering around the others, Kris goes to where his duffel lay in the living room and shoulders the carryall. Without hesitation he follows the gunman and takes his first step down the lit staircase in the center of the room.

"You heard the man," he remarked to the others as he began his descent.

Tapping the cowboy on the shoulder as they traveled into the bowels of the brownstone he asked, "Remember me... 'Partner'?"

Jack let out a light laugh. "This guy again. Dude talks almost as much as I do," he observed. He walked about the room, taking a closer look at the revealed equipment. "Pretty swank, 'Vince', old boy. Alright, I'll bite." He shrugged to the others as Colt made his way down the stairs. "Cowpoke's got a point. Down the rabbit hole, eh?" Vaulting easily over the couch, he followed the withdrawn young man underground.

The speedster then gave a broad grin. “Weeeeell, that’s cause I once KO’ed his evil doppelganger from another dimension.â€Â

"What!" All-Star seemed genuinely surprised. "No way. You?" He looked down at the smaller woman and nodded. I wonder is she is like Lady Liberty, that woman could hit. "Well then I guess I better watch myself huh?" He added with another big grin.

After the various computers, communications systems, and finally the strange stairwell revealed themselves, Colt finally spoke. "Reckon I've only really been in town fer less than a month. But one thing I learned is ta stop askin' so many questions. If'n y'all're patient, the answers'll come." He started down the steps, boldly being the first one. "An' I believe y'all just got yers."

All-Star laughed at Colt's remark. "I'm not big on asking questions myself, but Freedom City or..." He paused looking at Colt. "Where exactly are you from any way? Out west right? I'm from Arizona."

All-Star gave an appreciative nod when he saw the hidden stair well. "Very classy." He looked over at Velocity "Alright little lady lets see what you got." He dashed down the stairs at super-speed dodging around the others, confidant he would get to the bottom first.

"Actually," Colt began to answer All-Star's question without turning around. "I ain't from around these parts at all. I'm --"

Then All-Star suddenly charged down the stairs. "Woah there, Big Fella!" Colt threw himself against the wall of the stairwell, just in time to get out of the way of All-Star who came barreling past him.

"Well at least now I won't have ta worry 'bout this bein' a trap. Reckon that one'll find out fer me."

As Colt leaned up against the wall, he looked back up at Kristian. "Reckon I do remember, partner. Saw you at the carnival. Don't get too far in my line'a work if'n ya can't remember faces."

A red, white, and blue blur flashed past Kris while the cowboy was talking, though he didn't realize it until the gunman threw himself against the wall. Looking up and down the stairs to gather what had just happened, he replied, "I got that impression. I know iron, and those aren't stock model arms. Where'd you come across kit like that?"

As the others walked down the staircase, Blink took a good look at the group moving and even rushing down the stairs. She supposed she should have expected the secrecy and the dramatics after the manner in which the letter had appeared. Their benefactor, or captor, seemed to have a bit of showmanship in him. As long as it didn't get in the way of the job at hand, it should be fine. Come to think of it, she reflected, the secrecy and layers of deception might just work to her advantage. She wasn't quite sure she was ready to fess up to anyone about her past.

The stairs beckoned... however, she couldn't help but think that it would make the perfect spot for an ambush. It's what she would have done.

Jack's coat flapped wildly as All-Star sped past. "...oh yeah, we're gonna be best pals, me and him," he muttered as he collected himself and continued downward. He pulled a face when Kristian inquired about Colt's weapons. Joy, gun talk. The swordsman glanced up the way he'd come, calling out, "You coming, ladies? We haven't blown up yet or anything, so, y'know, that's good."

"Nor would it mean it's a permanent state," Blink replied looking Jack square in the eyes. "I hate making assumptions and being in the dark. It leads to mistakes and carelessness. Yet, even so, you are right, down we go... and I'm sorry, trust is not something that comes easily to me."

She tried a feeble attempt at a smile, but her nerves were so amped up and rattled that she doubted it had it's intended effect.

Jack regarded Blink's shakily forced smile with a raised eyebrow. "You're kind of a scary lady, you know that? You've got a sorta ex-KGB thing going on." He gave her an easy grin as they walked. "Don't get me wrong, it's a totally hot ex-KGB thing; you make it work for you. As for trust," he added with a shrug, "I'm not wearing this mask because it accentuates my fantastic bone structure - although it does - but this all seems pretty elaborate for a trap, don't you think?"

"I got that impression. I know iron, and those aren't stock model arms. Where'd you come across kit like that?"

"Both Jericho and Marlin are custom made, actually." Colt said as he pointed first to the revolver and then to the rifle. He continued talking as he walked. "An' like I was about ta tell the big guy," he pointed down the stairs where All-Star had run off to, "I ain't from earth. I'm from a different dimension. Our weapons are quite a bit more advanced there."

For a brief moment the tense smile melted into a real one as she nearly laughed at Jack's comments. Yet years of training only let a fraction of the humor she felt show through. It didn't pay to show your hand early and even if she instinctively liked the affable hero in front of her, she didn't know what still lay ahead. However, if they all had indeed received the same offer than it wouldn't hurt to let her guard down a small bit.

"No, not KGB, they are soft and corrupt. They used the power of the state to do their dirty work. Spetsnaz." the last word she said with a note of pride in her voice. "As for a trap, I have known people who would go to any lengths to get what they thought was theirs. Even worse are the ones that would do the same to repay some slight to their ego. I hope this is not the case."

What she left off is that often she was working for those people and paid to acquire the things they could not easily get. As she walked behind Jack down the stairs into the cavernous basement, she had to berate herself as her eyes spent far too much time looking at the fit swordsman ahead of her. She really needed to be looking for the things that were not obvious, or quite so appealing. Like cameras, defenses, traps, and the like. If something were to happen, there would be little time and every bit of knowledge would make the difference between escape and capture.

Velocity had just been about to answer Blink’s general question when a voice began speaking from a flat screen TV. She was not sure why Doktor Archeville was playing mysterious like this, but had been told to not let the others know of his involvement until he reveled it, so she just smiled slightly and waited, not acting at all surprised by the revelation of spiral stairs which led down.

All-Star gave an appreciative nod when he saw the hidden stair well. "Very classy." He looked over at Velocity "Alright little lady lets see what you got." He dashed down the stairs at super-speed dodging around the others, confidant he would get to the bottom first.

The speedster grinned slightly. “Sure, your on.†She replied almost too quickly to be understood before she started off at top speed as well, easily weaving around others.

Jack took a moment to decide whether Blink was pulling his leg or not. She didn't really strike him as the joke-a-minute type. "Uh, yeah," he replied. "Soft and corrupt. Totally don't crack my top ten secret police list." The swordsman had wondered what he was doing on the same list of recruits as someone like Velocity or even All-Star, but a background in Russian special forces certainly widened the spectrum. Talk about covering all your bases... More than ever he wondered what their mystery host had in mind.

"I suppose it is... it's just usually that the people I deal with are a lot more reserved... and military. I think I just need to adjust my thinking a bit."

Grim nodded to herself; she definitely got the military vibe off of her, and something more as well.

This girl has played for the other side, maybe only for the other side. She's a total pro.

"I meant no insult Grimalkin, you are just not who or what I expected. I assume you are here for your talents as well. I seek no quarrel with you."

The diminutive shapeshifter couldn’t help but smile at the sincerity of the woman’s apology. She clambered up to her knees and shook her head.

“Hey, no worries; I’m just a Jersey girl pulling yer chain. I shouldn’t mess folks ‘til I know ‘em better, y’know?†She laughs. “Trust me, you’ll know if I’m really mad at you; I spit venom and smoke comes out my ears.â€Â

"Captain Stupendous Magnifico, Scion of a Thousand Stars, Son of Admiral Awesomestien, Slayer of Chupacabras, long may his name sound in the hallowed halls of my people." He gave All-Star a grave look. "Far have I traveled to meet the one called All-Star. We face a terrible enemy, and our only hope is a weapon powered by pure ego. You are our only hope." The swashbuckler leaned back against the table. "That said, I also answer to Jack,"

For the sake of obvious super-square All-Star’s feelings, Grim resisted the overwhelming urge to laugh her ass off at Jack’s performance, though her smile got awful big.

Jeez, what a stiff! Nice to know who the designated target for hijinx and shenanigans will be.

With the addition of newly-arrived Underage Boy, Grim starting to feel a little overwhelmed; you wouldn’t know it by her brash demeanor, but sometimes crowds got to her, especially meeting so many new people at once. She got a little quiet for a few minutes (though she smirked and giggled when Vince appeared), but got a bit more enthusiastic when the stairway appeared.

Cool, more to explore!

As everyone started down the stairway, Grim leapt off the sofa and made a point of catching up with Jack. “Hey Jack, wait up! Can I just say you’re beyond awesome? I want that to go into the official record.â€Â

Flashing him a rather potent grin, she scampered past him down the stairs; by the time she reached the bottom, she was back in her working clothes, minus her mask.

"No, not KGB, they are soft and corrupt. They used the power of the state to do their dirty work. Spetsnaz." the last word she said with a note of pride in her voice."

GRU Spetsnaz, here? He would have to take a better look at the girl when they arrived at there subterranean destination.

"I am pretty terrific," Jack replied reflexively. The petite woman's smile threatened to physically rock him back on his feet. Yow. That's, uh... yeah. This was certainly a change of pace. Part of Jack couldn't help waiting for the other shoe to drop. After quickly clearing his throat, he managed, "Now if only I could convince Wikipedia; 'not notable' my well-defined buttocks."

Hearing Jack's comment about his posterior Blink hesitated on the stairs. She truly hoped he was not some kind of mind reader as that would cause all sorts of problems. However, it did help her studiously remove her eyes from his backside as she set about trying to find the concealed defenses of the place. Behind her was the youth who had yet to speak much more than his name. If she had her way, she would have been the last one down, to avoid people closing behind her. However, a certain amount of trust was going to be required, even if all her instincts screamed otherwise.

"Now now, ladies," Colt began sarcastically, "Don't y'all jump him at once." Jack was a handsome man. No wonder the girls liked him.

As Colt became more adjusted to the group he was dealing with, he began to open up more. Before he had been silent, serious and wary. Now he was responding to people better, and laughing at jokes. He'd had a hard time in the city so far. It was time to loosen up and have some fun. "'Sides, my money's on Velocity beatin y'all ta' the punch."

As soon as the last one in gets about halfway down the spiraling stairs, Vince speaks again. "Good, good -- not afraid of a little mystery, a little excitement!"

The source of the lights seen from the living room above was a soft glow coming from more computer and surveillance equipment lining the walls of a large hexagonal room. Six long hallways radiated off the room; the hallways themselves seemed to glow softly.

"This here's the command and control room, or C&C. From here you can see almost anywhere in Freedom City..." Several monitors began showing various areas of Freedom City, and then switched to Vince in his talk show set. "... and I can use it to communicate with you! Isn't that neat! Oh, but this is just the tip of the iceberg!"

The hallway headed north began to shine brighter as arrows of light appeared on it, pointing down the hall. Vince was now lying on a bed, in satin pajamas.

"Down here are your living quarters, each tailored -- as best I could -- to your preferences. If you want anything changed, don't hesitate to ask! And here..."

The north hall faded to match the others, then the northeast hall began to shine brighter. Vince was now in sweats, with small barbells in hand, while a woman in a nurse's outfit looked on.

"... is a gym and infirmary. Don't worry about not knowing how to use it, the whole thing's automated, and if something goes wrong, a top-notch doc will be sent down to help patch ya up. Now, here..."

The northeast hall faded, and the southeast one glowed brighter. Vince was now decked out as a gladiator, and digitally superimposed into the movie of the same name.

"... is the combat simulator, for honing those skills the gym can't handle. It's got oodles of traps and stuff, but don't worry, it's got some heavy safety protocols, too. Now, here..."

The southeast hall faded, and the south one glowed brighter. Vince now wore a lab coat and glasses, and held a clipboard in one hand.

"... is something I'd advise against messing with: the power generator and life support systems. This place uses a lot of juice, so I made sure to provide you folks with the best generator I could get (wholesale). But you shouldn't need to go down there anyway, the thing's automated and shielded and all that, so no worries. But speaking of worries..."

The south hall faded, and the southwest one glowed brighter. Vince was in a cowboy outfit (with shiny gold star), and has roped a black-hatted outlaw.

"... you'll be facing a lot of tough hombres out there, and down here is where you'll store 'em, at least until the authorities can take over. Down here are several cells, which can be monitored and controlled from the C&C here. The locks will be keyed to your biometric data, so only you seven can open them. And finally, last, but not least...."

The southwest hall faded, and the southeast one glowed brighter. A rumbling sound, like a large vehicle's motor, could be heard echoing down. Vince was now in a huge vehicle which looked like a cross between an APC and a humvee.

"... is the garage, in which you'll find the MAVERIC, the Mobile Armored Vehicle for Emergency Response and Intercepting Criminals!"

The southeast hall faded back to the soft glow, and the monitors in the C&C showed Vince back at his talk show host set.

"Neat, hunh?"

Velocity had beaten All-Star down to spiral stairway by a few seconds, a difference which would not have seemed like too much to the casual observer. She was waiting with her arms crossed as the caped hero arrived. “Your fast.†She said with a smile. “But not quite fast enough.â€Â

They then had to wait for their potential-future-teammates as they made their way down at more normal speeds.

She watched, again with a bit of amusement, as the Doktor, through his computer generated front-man, began detailing the more unusual features of the building. The headquarters seemed to have most everything a fledgling super team would need. While it was not quite Freedom Hall (let alone the Lighthouse), it still was pretty impressive.

“Not bad. Vince.†She replied as the virtual tour ended.