Ranged Disarm on Move Object

Electra

I'm trying to model a Move Objects using plants effect that is capable of disarming opponents. I've gotten conflicting opinions on whether/what extras I would need to make this work without incurring a penalty for range. Do I need an improved disarm extra, or is disarming an integral part of what the power allows you to do anyway?

The Disarm action consists of two parts firstly there is a roll to hit Vs. the wielders defense. If this is done with a ranged attack it incurs a -4 to hit penalty. This penalty may be removed with a ranged disarm feat if the feat is allowed here. A perception ranged version of the attack would of course hit automatically.

The second part is an opposed check of your attacks damage bonus Vs. the wielders strength. This is the difficulty with Move object in this application. It has no damage bonus unless the damageing extra is purchased.

Additionally if the attack is with a ranged attack or weapon the item is knocked out of their hand not taken by the disarmer.

This all leads to the kinda odd situation that Move Object has a great deal of difficulty grabbing a weapon out of someones hand.

I think it would not be unreasonable to houserule/interpret that move object can make a disarm as if it was an unarmed attack with a bonus equal to the move object rank (not rank x 5). This follows the model of Move Object being used for grappling without the ability of useing the damaging option of a succesful grapple check.

The second part is an opposed check of your attacks damage bonus Vs. the wielders strength. This is the difficulty with Move object in this application. It has no damage bonus unless the damaging extra is purchased.

I think this can easily be interpreted to "damage bonus, or rank of TK if using TK."

Additionally if the attack is with a ranged attack or weapon the item is knocked out of their hand not taken by the disarmer.

This all leads to the kinda odd situation that Move Object has a great deal of difficulty grabbing a weapon out of someones hand.

I' fairly certain that ruling's in effect b/c you can't grasp a weapon with an energy blast or with another weapon. I don't see why a weapon disarmed by TK couldn't be "held" by the TK-er once disarmed.

Yea as I added at the bottom of my post I think treating the disarm as effectively an unarmed attack with TK instead of actual limbs would make more sense than the kinda odd way the strict rules work.

Would you say that ranged TK would still have the -4 to hit bonus to initiate the disarm? Also would the Precise powerfeat cover that (as it counts as precise shot already) or would you need the ranged disarm challenge feat?

Sometimes I don't know what you guys would do without me. :D

There is no penalty for using TK to disarm at range, because that is what TK is for - non-Damage applications of Strength, usuable at range. The whole point of the power is to be able to do touch-range stuff at normal range, without having to actually touch it.

To disarm with TK, you make an attack roll, then a contested disarm check (your TK rank vs. your foe's STR bonus).

There is no penalty for using TK to initiate grapples, disarms, or trips at range. Again, that is what TK is for.