At the Foot of the Master IC

angrydurf

After waiting around most of the morning at James room Mike decided to look elsewhere for his erstwhile friend. After asking around a bit, luckily James more socially outgoing nature meant he was noticed around campus, he managed to catch up to him as he crossed the gardens after one of his classes.

Hurrying slightly to catch up he spoke up, "Hey James you have a few minutes? I kinda wanted some advice."

He nodded to himself along with a tune in his head, a generally happy expression on his face as usual. Now if only he could avoid looking at his friends at certain times, he'd be fine. The power spikes, especially this reading people thing, was really damn annoying if somewhat insightful. And he didn't mind when it happened with most people but he didn't really want to have it happens with his friends.

One of which was heading his way. James slowed up, letting Mike fall in beside him. Walking the path would help keep his eyes forward. "Hey Mike. Sure, I've got plenty of time. What can I do with you?"

Mike smiled, "Thanks," He said quietly, "I couldn't really figure out who else to ask that wasn't either too involved or too ..." He paused trying to think of how to explain but decided that james would know what he meant regardless, "Too Eddie and Chris I guess."

Mike liked them both of course and appreciated their advice even, but this was a bit more delicate a matter and delicacy wasn't really their thing most times. "So I suppose you head about the thing in the quad the other day?" He asked, it had of course been all over the school almost instantly. Mike was still getting used to the different way the other students looked at him after his display, he wasn't sure he liked it really.

James chuckled. "I can understand that." Mike was a good guy. Probably too good in some ways. Defintely one of the nicest people James knew. Certainly not deserving to be messed with like he had been. But James had been working on that one. A little reciprocity; fine outright revenge, if by proxy.

James nodded his head a little in affirmation. He probably knew as much as Mike did at this point, if not a little more consdiering the macinations that led up to it. He didn't say anything, lettting Mike get there in his own time.

Catching the nod Mike continued, "Well, it kinda made me realize a few things about Alex and my friendship, well I guess more my feelings for Alex." Mike was clearly nervous about the whole subject, "Mark and I've worked stuff out thankfully." The relief in his voice was clear. "Alex and him aren't dating anymore, but he seems ok with it."

Mike realized he was dithering and refocused on the actual issue at hand. "Its really that the link Alex and I share is more than just talking you know. Its not really fair to anyone else because they can't have that same, I dunno, closeness I guess?"

He sighed a heavy sigh, "I didn't relive until after I lost it how strong that connection realy is, I just thought of us as good friends ya know?"

James smiled, nodding as he listened. "Glad you and Mark worked it all out." He already had hung out with Mark and talked about it of course. But Mark was incredibly less likely to obsesses and worry about, well, anything when compared to Mike. "You realized what you had, or more accurately could have, when you almost lost it. Its a common enough wake up call to me." He nodded again. "Good friends is a great place to start Mike. Makes things easier for most people later on. But the connection you and have is more than just the whole psychic bond. Much more than that. That alone is neat but not enough to guarantee anything." He stopped before saying more; this was Mike's time to figure things out after all. "Glad you're seeing things clearly. Happiness is good for you. So, what can I do for you?"

Now came the hard part, well hard for Mike at least. "Well, its Erin actually." He finally said. "I don't know when or where things are going with Alex but ... well there is something there."

He sighed finding the entire subject awkward, he didn't want to sound like he was complaining about having to choose between two girls but at least if his reputation was to be believed james would understand the basics of his dilema. "But Erin and I went out on a date the other day too. I think it went well and I was going to ask her out again before ... everything. But now I don't know that continueing something like that would be fair to her." he decided to explain the concern as cloasly as he could to Alexs explanation of the end of Mark and her Relationship.

James paused a moment. "Wait...you're concerned about Erin being upset or something that there is or might not be date number 2?" James really wanted to chuckled or grin but Mike was too sensitive about all this and, to Mike, the plight was very serious and real. "Ok, now admittedly, I could be way off base here and not even close, but I doubt it. You and Erin are friends. I bet you two had a lot of fun at the baseball game. No question. But I doubt Erin is concerned about the next date happening. I don't think she sees any guy as more than just a friend at this point. She not really there yet. No matter how hard you try or how much fun your date was." She probably didn't even think of it as a date but he didn't want Mike's feelings to be hurt. "Especially given the recent events. And I know she talks to Alex plenty and would happily 'step aside' for her." He shrugged. "Just my opinion mind you."

Mike nodded with only slight confusion, "I suppose you're right." He eventually replied. He he chewed his lip consideringly for a moment, "I still think I should probably talk to her about it though." He looke dup to James questioningly, "I mean even if she's fine with being friends and thats all she wants no one wants to look like they got dumped for their roomate right?" He frowned slightly at that knowing that was exactly what Mark had to deal with but Mark's blissfull optimism seemed likely to winout over any other issues.

"Of course. Talking with Erin was a given. I was just guessing at her mindset; a preview I suppose. Talking things is usually a good thing; assuming all parties involved are in the mood or mindset to talk." He smiled. "Erin doesn't care what other people think, least not as far as the populace goes. Her friends are different. She knows, you know, Alex knows. That's what going to matter in the end. But yeah, talking with her would be a good way to wrap that up."

He walked along quietly for a minute, letting Mike get his thoughts together. "So, what about you and Alex? Or are you still reeling?"

"Kinda I guess," The tall youth replied, "I dunno what to think in some ways, I know that I don't want any of this to be just because of Z... uhm what happened." He relized James may not be in the know and wasn't sure if Zoes actual past was his to tell. "I mean I know how I feel, and I think I know where she's at but its a kinda awkward situation."

He clapped Mike on the shoulder with one hand as they walked. "Relax Mike. I know. More than you think. But possible futures, the link you have with Alex and all that? It doesn't matter." He smiled; the funny part of this whole situation was that James had never had a relationship last more than 2 months. But he knew what he was looking for, what the goal was. "What you feel is what matters. Awkward and nervousness; it doesn't matter in the end."

Mike breathed a sigh of relief, he knew exactly how poorly he had covered that slip up. "Yea I guess you're right," he said with a nod, "It certainly seems to matter right now though." He added with a laugh. "I half expected Erin to hit me when I asked her out and I was less nervous."

"Of course it seems to matter. Your not even 20 yet. Nervousness and hesitation and being self-consciousness is pretty common among teenagers you know. Congrats, you're like most teenagers," he said with a grin. "At least in regards to that anyway. The powers and the true love stuff, not so much. But just enjoy and embrace it. The awkward feelings will settle." He nodded as he laughed. "I bet. Though I doubt she'd even considering hitting you. More like wondering what as going on. Now if you tried to kiss her, THEN I can see her hitting you."

Mike shrugged, "Yea Erin's temper isn't as bad as even she makes it out to be." He nodded, "As for being like most teenagers thats new for me, gonna take some getting used to even if its only in one small area."

He glanced around for a few moments he really didn't get how James could manage all the girls he went out with, Mike had one and a maybe half though perhaps that wasn't even really a date and it was too much. Really even the one didn't really count, at least not yet since he hadn't even asked Alex out. Shaking his head he thanks James, "Thanks for the advice, it's clarified stuff quite a bit."

James nodded. "You're welcome I guess. Not like I said that much. Oh, and with Alex? Just be yourself. Nothing has changed. Well, not what matters anyway. And you've been more aware and less emo/hesitant lately so you're all good there too." He shrugged and smiled. "But anytime. Glad to help out." He knew more about what was going on between Mike and Alex than they did in some ways. He'd give quite a lot to have what they did, even if they didn't realize what they had. But, they'd figure it out in time. And he'd have to keep looking.

Mike smiled at the advice, "Yea, I kinda realized that after the thing in Zoes room." He was still working off the demerits for that eavenings escapades but it had thrown into sharp relief just how little he wanted to actually seem like Eddie or Chris. "I wasn't even sure if I shoudl bother asking you about all this but I figured if anyone knew what constituted dating or a date or whatever it'd be you." It had taken some getting used to having friends to rely on other than Alex for mike but he was glad now that he had them even if he was sometime baffled by their behaviors.

James nodded. "I've been on more than a few, true enough. They don't really go anywhere long term so far, but I've definitely gone on a few. Doesn't make me an expert though. Not yet. But it seems I'm working on it." He shrugged. "That's what friends are for Mike. There when you need help. Nothing wrong with asking for it when you need and want it."

It was hard to believe in some ways that James dating had never gone anywhere serious but then again Mike couldn't really recall seeing him with the same girl more than once or twice. Not that he usually saw James dates at all. He smiled a chuckled to himself softly, "Well we'll say your an expert compared to me or my other options then."

"I'm sure you'll find someone, You're a good guy." He said confidently, "and with a sample size like you have statistics say it has to happen right?" He said with a friendly pat on the back.

James chuckled. "Well, I keep trying. Probability says I'll get there eventually, right? Sooner rather later hopefully. But honestly? Hones, heartfelt or True Love is rare. Really rare. And soul mates? Man, talk about beating the odds." He sounded a little wistful for a brief moment. "Enjoy what you got. But even if I never do, I suppose I'll just have to content myself with what I've got," he said with a wry grin.

Mike blushed slightly at the soulmates comment, that wasn't really what he and Alex had, they were best friends since forever maybe more now. Soulmates was a bit intense for any teen to admit too regardless. "I dunno about soulmates." He said nervously, "But I think I see what you mean. Its hard to imagine not having Alex around thats for sure."

James smiled as they walk, doing his best not focus on walking, keeping Mike in his peripheral vision. "It's not a bad thing man. Nor is it a guarantee that everything works out. Far from it. But it is special. Trust me, Mike." He nodded. "Yeah. Not having the other in your life would be like missing half of yourself I bet." Mike would get there eventually. But he was still shy and self-conscious. Give it 10, or even 5 years, and Mike was going to be one hell of a guy; way more than he is now too. Hopefully he'll have figured this all out sooner rather than later. Happiness shouldn't have to wait.

"Well that much has been made abundantly clear." Mike replied, thinking of how very different the whole situation could have gone. "I'm just glad I figured it all out before it was too late." Even Mike wasn't entirely sure if he meant too late for him and Alex or too late for him salvage his friendship with Mark either seemed near as bad as the other in its own way.

He shook his head with a smile. "It's never too late Mike. Especially when it comes to things that truly matter. Not when there even the slightest chance," he said sincerely. James might be/certainly seemed to be a 'playa' to the Nth degree, but it wasn't what he really wanted. He was doing all the right things to be one, but none of the right things to get what he truly wanted. Despite, or maybe in spite, of everything, James was at his core a die-hard hopeless/hopeful romantic. Even if no one, including him somedays, really realized it.

Mike smiled at that, "Well I suppose thats true too, how about I'm glad I figured it out before I made an even bigger fool of myself then I have?" He asked with a light tone to his voice. "Or before I did something really harmful at least." He added somewhat more sedately. Really what would he have done if it all had been true after all? Not that that would happen Mark wasn't that kind of guy but none the less the thought of what ends he coudl be driven to so easily frightened him a bit.