New Young Adult Super Hero Team!

quotemyname

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, Jack would be all over this. He's 21 and totally looking looking to get better connected with other superfolks.

As far as names go, I dunno about acronyms in general. Maybe it's just me, but acronym super teams always seem to be government funded affairs, y'know? Like, iron age, hyper-muscled strike teams where everybody has claws and/or guns. Possibly a gun that shoots claws. Regardless, there's a sort of implication that they're some sort of agency, like the FBI or CSIS or SHIELD.

These would be heroes who are a little too mature for the wacky, pizza-party-having teen teams, but not quite old enough to be taken completely seriously by the big leaguers, right? That seems to call for a vaguely confrontational, one word name, in the vein of The Outsiders or The Loners. Maybe just The Marshals? The Cavalry, The Coalition, The Dauntless, The Intrepid?

I guess it would make sense to see who's on the team first, get a feel for the tone and mission statement, as it were.

Here's what we drummed up in Chat last night:

We're a group that is secretly being backed by UNISON, and specifically Colnel Jennifer Ellis. (Freedom City p88) Jen is trying to establish teams like this all over the globe. We will be on a strict need to know basis. Most of the time this will mean, "You don't need to know." The only thing we in fact do know about the program is that we are being granted a base of operations, and a monthly check to use as a retainer. This check will cover living expenses so we will basically be allowed to do the hero thing 24/7, there will be no need for a job.

Colt is on board because this is exactly what he's looking for: A way to keep his skills sharp coupled with a paycheck that will put bread in his jar.

Razor Wing is there because it allows him a way to redeem himself (possibly coupled with a pardon/parole contingent on good behavior), as well as affording him a group of friends that will be there for him when one of his many enemies potentially comes a-knocking (Shadow Academy, and Ronin stick in my mind).

All Star is there because it makes his life easier. Now he doesn't have to worry about supporting himself, he can just fly around town cleaning up the streets. This directly fulfills his goals of getting more fame by showing off and being a hero, since he doesn't have to worry about where his next meal is coming from.

All of the founding member (RW, Colt, A-Star) have agreed to contribute a power point towards our headquarters. Other members will likely be expected to do the same.

We're going for a team of people that can post relatively often so we don't have to go and wait for people.

As we will likely be "stopping the bad guys" its likely there will be a good amount of fights with this group. (not everyone has to be in every thread, so don't worry.) But we are also going for a sort of bachelor pad feel. So we can easily have threads about a group of semi-college age kids trying to get along (and decide who's turn it is to clean the bathroom) etc.

All of this has yet to be looked over by the judges, but it's nothing too too far fetched that it's impossible. At the most it would probably need some tweaking, but I seriously think it could be done.

All in favor?

---

Names: (outsiders and loners sounds a little emo to me >_>)

League Against Wrongdoings -- LAW

Freedom's Innovative Super-Team -- FIST

The Marshals

The Cavalry

The Coalition

The Dauntless

The Intrepid

Anyone got picks? I like the second two (FIST and Marshals)

So it is a government funded strike team? Not to be the guy who cried iron age, but that's kinda toeing the line, isn't it? Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but are you saying the team would be given mission objectives without any explanation? That's pretty sketchy and definitely outside UNISON's purview as described in the sourcebook. They're not even allowed to be officially affiliation with the Freedom League; they're pretty much solely an intelligence agency with no actual authority.

I could maybe see it if UNISON was funding super teams under the table, providing them with intel but largely just telling them to keep doing what they were doing. That's still pushing it a bit, honestly.

As a side note, The Loners were a self-help group, but they also had a member who left behind unironic rainbows everywhere she flew, so...

So it is a government funded strike team? Not to be the guy who cried iron age, but that's kinda toeing the line, isn't it? Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but are you saying the team would be given mission objectives without any explanation? That's pretty sketchy and definitely outside UNISON's purview as described in the sourcebook. They're not even allowed to be officially affiliation with the Freedom League; they're pretty much solely an intelligence agency with no actual authority.

Sorry if I wasn't clear earlier. We decided to make it a government thing as of like 2am. I read the bit in the FC book about the Colonel's goals and trying to make UNISON a world wide organization that strives for justice, etc. I thought this would fit that goal.

I could maybe see it if UNISON was funding super teams under the table, providing them with intel but largely just telling them to keep doing what they were doing. That's still pushing it a bit, honestly.

Yea, that interpretation is more on target. This is almost exactly what I was looking to accomplish. "Here's a check to cover your living expenses, and a place to live. Now keep doing what your doing and protect this city!" Is probably all that we know about the operation.

I know that secretly funding a super team would be pushing it for UNISON as a whole. Thats why [A] this is under the table and this is more of a personal brainchild of Colonel Jessica. She uses her connections and contacts to put the money together and goes around her superiors for the greater good. Once the leaders of UNISON start to think, "Hey maybe that was a good idea after all," Jessica will step out of the shadows and say, "Yea. I did that."

Hope this clears things up and hope you're still interested.

Point of fact: This is NOT to be an iron age project. Period. I don't picture it as one, and I won't try to stray down that path. So I don't see how it could end up that way. Rest assured, I will do my best to make sure it does not.

Don't know how many you are looking for, but would you consider a redeemed villain? Blink is 23 and very much in the "bachelor" style of living. She is looking to turn her life around and this sort of thing would give structure to how she goes about life while still giving her an outlet for her adrenalin needs.

Ooh, I was real interested in this team for a bit, but sadly the international agency-sanctioned part would drive away Grim, if only because she once killed a guy and has never revealed this to the authorities. Given her aversion to anything that smells even remotely of law enforcement, t would take a lot of convincing to get her to sign on :(

We had planned for this being a post high school thing. Around 19-25 age group. Frankly allowing Razorwing in the first place was pushing it because he is 16. But he had extenuating circumstances being as how he couldn't join the Claremont team (having at one point been a part of shadow academy and their direct competitors. And with his status as a reformed villain and all.) But I think that because he was of "drop out" age we allowed it.

Those that are younger than 19 with no reason why they can't join a more age appropriate team will not be considered for this team. This includes Mongrel Angel and Tarantula. That is not to say that me and my compatriots here at won't participate in threads with you, we will. I like playing with you guys, but I don't think this is the team for you. It started as an age appropriate only thing, I made one exception, (Which may or may not have been fair, but what's done is done) and I can't keep doing that. I have to draw the line somewhere.

Bottom line: Sorry guys, this is a 19-25 aged organization. We are employing the up and coming heroes, not training the heroes of tomorrow.

I really don't like telling people that they can't be a part of something (especially in this type of setting) so I will say this. Most of these threads will in fact be open to other heroes that are not part of the organization we are making. The relatively rules-free way this organization is to be run provides us with the ability to team up with other heroes as long as the job gets done. So if you were looking to join, but find that your character is out of the age range, there may still be a chance for you to get in on the action :)

Once again, sorry for the miscommunication.

Current players/characters

quotemyname - Colt

Warmonger - All-Star

ex3lev3n - Razorwing

Players/Characters up for consideration

Gizmo - Jack

Blink - Blink

As per an in chat discussion, we have decided that we are also going to request that members considering joining make the commitment of "reasonable activity". Explicitly, please be willing to post at least 25 IC posts with that character/month. (Don't worry about not having the opportunity. We will give you plenty of chances)

If you are a new/newish player, then we will give you the benefit of the doubt here. But will reserve the right to fill your spot with someone who meets these activity requirements should you not fulfill them.

Part of our reason for doing this is the aforementioned HQ for the team. The refs have said okay to sharing an HQ (and the cost of one). However should one of our members/characters stop playing the others will be expected to pick up the slack in the price of the HQ (or get someone else to join) or we would lose it. In order to keep this from happening we are imposing a post requirement.

-MGMT

Getting in 25 posts per month seems pretty reasonable, assuming there's enough chances to do so. Less than once a day, as it were (math!).

Anyway, I think Jack would still be up for this. He could certainly use the added income. Of course, he doesn't need it quite so badly as Colt or Razorwing, and he'd be a little wary of the whole thing, which I think could actually be a good thing. Every good team needs the guy who questions what they're doing a bit and keeps everybody honest. Interpersonal conflict equals fun times, amirite?

... I think I just volunteered Jack to be The Chick.

Another side note: is it odd that every time I see "MGMT", I always read it as "TMNT" for a split second?

One of concerns people expressed (ourselves included) is why UNISON would over step their jurisdiction in this manner and what kind of tone that sets for the team. To clarify we are not black ops, we are white ops. If that is a better phrase. We would be a deniable asset in the event of failure all they really do is give us a paycheck and a beeper, but not deniable because we are doing questionable things. The reason why UNISON would come to Freedom is because UNISON is responsible for protecting the globe, and it is safe to say that the vast majority of world wide threats, in this setting originates in Freedom City. It has become increasingly hard to ignore that fact, so rather than leave it to AEGIS they simply want a small fire-fighting team that can head off some of these world threats before they become world threats. Since it is much cheaper than trying to pick up the pieces after Armageddon 54.

Also this isn't final. This is what we brainstormed up last night high on soda. We just went with it because we felt it worked, we are still open to brainstorming but we want to finish that by the end of this week. So that means we don't have to be a government organization, it is just what we came up with at the moment and the strongest candidate we have.

Congratulations, Gizmo (and Jack) due to your continued interest in our little team we here at would like to welcome you aboard. You have been approved for membership by a vote of the founding members!

What we will be needing from you in the near future:

1 pp to be spent on the Equipment feat to be put towards our hideout

I will PM you the current setup and we can discuss features that you might want to add to it.

Current Members

Quotemyname

Warmonger

Ex3lev3n

Gizmo

Potentials

Blink

As for posting schedule, 25 a month is no problem for me. I am around a computer for the majority of any given day. The only exceptions to this are Satuday (soccer day) and sometimes Sunday (family day). Even on those days, I should be reasonably able to get at least a post in. Otherwise, multiple posts a day are not really an issue if needed.

Congratulations, Blink (and Blink) due to your continued interest in our little team we here at would like to welcome you aboard. You have been approved for membership by a vote of the founding members!

What we will be needing from you in the near future:

1 pp to be spent on the Equipment feat to be put towards our hideout

I will PM you the current setup and we can discuss features that you might want to add to it.

Current Members:

Quotemyname

Warmonger

Ex3lev3n

Gizmo

Blink

We're still flattening out the formatting for that.

You can just include it in your monthly updates for October. Most of us already spent all of our PP so far so we have to wait for some to free up.

I am thinking we will do something like the following in the feats section of your character sheet.

Equipment 1 (or 1 more than you previously had)

Communicator [free]

Handcuffs [1ep]

4 Equipment Points allocated to the following:

FIST Headquarters: [4ep spent out of total 14ep value]

Size: Large; Toughness: 10; Features: Combat Simulator, Communications, Computer, Concealed, Defense System, Fire Prevention, Garage, Gym, Living Space, Power System, Security System

Defense System: Snare 10