Question for a Villian Concept

MBCE

Hello everyone.

I have a really interesting concept that I want to try out for the game, but so far, the way I envision the character, Power source plays a very big party in the motivation of the character.

So, I guess I'm wondering just how specific are the Power source descriptors for the characters here? Are people being clear as the source of their powers? Meaning, Alien, or failed experiment, or something else?

If not, then I may need to adjust the concept that I was thinking about before really getting down to specific details.

Thanks.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello everyone.

I have a really interesting concept that I want to try out for the game, but so far, the way I envision the character, Power source plays a very big party in the motivation of the character.

So, I guess I'm wondering just how specific are the Power source descriptors for the characters here? Are people being clear as the source of their powers? Meaning, Alien, or failed experiment, or something else?

If not, then I may need to adjust the concept that I was thinking about before really getting down to specific details.

Thanks.

Hello everyone.

Thanks.

Overall, I'd say not very specific, because some characters have very specific "sources," but some don't. We have largely left this up to the players, since this game is really player driven. There is not set, official list of sources that everyone has to fall into.

Overall, I'd say not very specific, because some characters have very specific "sources," but some don't. We have largely left this up to the players, since this game is really player driven. There is not set, official list of sources that everyone has to fall into.

However, descriptor awareness is something that's really important.

I saw go for it. I would love to see someone take the mechanics of the game and really go to town.

I say go for it too, but just be aware that without a fixed list of power sources and descriptors that would force some conformity, a descriptor-based effect will probably require a lot of discussion and compromise. We run into this all the time in another MnM-MMO I am involved in. We had a villain character with a power that targeted certain origins (e.g. Mutant), but there was an ongoing dispute/compromise about what constituted "mutant." We had several characters that did not have "Mutant" listed as a source or descriptor, but the villain insisted his powers should work on them: a genetically altered (mutated?) super soldier, a demon who was born with crippling birth defects (mutations?) who had to flee a hell dimension to stay alive, an energy controller who gained her powers after exposure to radiation (and was mutated?).

As long as the players are free to create their own origin stories, planets, dimensions, etc. there is really nothing to be done about this, except talk it out and try to compromise when disagreements arise.

I saw go for it. I would love to see someone take the mechanics of the game and really go to town.

I say go for it too, but just be aware that without a fixed list of power sources and descriptors that would force some conformity, a descriptor-based effect will probably require a lot of discussion and compromise. We run into this all the time in another MnM-MMO I am involved in. We had a villain character with a power that targeted certain origins (e.g. Mutant), but there was an ongoing dispute/compromise about what constituted "mutant." We had several characters that did not have "Mutant" listed as a source or descriptor, but the villain insisted his powers should work on them: a genetically altered (mutated?) super soldier, a demon who was born with crippling birth defects (mutations?) who had to flee a hell dimension to stay alive, an energy controller who gained her powers after exposure to radiation (and was mutated?).

As long as the players are free to create their own origin stories, planets, dimensions, etc. there is really nothing to be done about this, except talk it out and try to compromise when disagreements arise.

Well, it's a good thing I wasn't planning on going for his powers being limited that way. It was mostly his motivation for becoming the villian to begin with. Would also control how he reacts to other villians and heroes. Though it would be nice if something as simple as all characters stating their power source during creation.

Well, Hopefully after the Holidays, I'll be able to get something up to work with.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Well, it's a good thing I wasn't planning on going for his powers being limited that way. It was mostly his motivation for becoming the villian to begin with. Would also control how he reacts to other villians and heroes. Though it would be nice if something as simple as all characters stating their power source during creation.

Well, Hopefully after the Holidays, I'll be able to get something up to work with.

Okay, I've been doing some work on the Villian and am having trouble with the character's main power.

Looking at the UP, I don't see exactly what I want to use. They have something close, but not exactly what I'm looking for. So, I thought I'd put the question out to everyone here to see their thoughts on the subject.

Basically, the power is a Supersense.

The character is able to study a person and read their weaknesses and powers. Yes, I know Detect Weakness is in the UP which woudl work sightly, but isn't quite what I was looking for.

The power should allow him to do the following items:

--Detect any countering effects for a hero.

--Determine strength of hero's powers.

--The degree of knowledge gain should be done over a number of rounds. More study, gains more information.

--It should have an opposed roll to gain information, similar to the Assessment feat, but more detailed.

Those are the main points. I know the Detect Supersense with Assessment added on it would work to some degree but it doesn't feel right. Any suggestions?

Also is the descriptor, Detect Biological powers, a usable desription?

Okay, I've been doing some work on the Villian and am having trouble with the character's main power.

Looking at the UP, I don't see exactly what I want to use. They have something close, but not exactly what I'm looking for. So, I thought I'd put the question out to everyone here to see their thoughts on the subject.

The character is able to study a person and read their weaknesses and powers. Yes, I know Detect Weakness is in the UP which woudl work sightly, but isn't quite what I was looking for.

--The degree of knowledge gain should be done over a number of rounds. More study, gains more information.

--It should have an opposed roll to gain information, similar to the Assessment feat, but more detailed.

Those are the main points. I know the Detect Supersense with Assessment added on it would work to some degree but it doesn't feel right. Any suggestions?

I'm not a big fan of using Mind Reading to gain "metagame" info (like power strength), but a limited Mind Reading effect might be what you're interested in.

Something like Mind Reading 9 [Flaws] - 3 PPs.

It only works on one person at a time. It has an opposed roll, and you get one bit of information per round, so the longer you concentrate, the more you know. You could probably Extra and Flaw it some more to tweak it, but that's one other way you could try to get what you want.

Also is the descriptor, Detect Biological powers, a usable descriptor?

Sure. It would detect powers with the biological powers, and probably powers that were innate to "biological" creatures (as opposed to constructs, devices, and objects).

I'm not a big fan of using Mind Reading to gain "metagame" info (like power strength), but a limited Mind Reading effect might be what you're interested in.

It only works on one person at a time. It has an opposed roll, and you get one bit of information per round, so the longer you concentrate, the more you know. You could probably Extra and Flaw it some more to tweak it, but that's one other way you could try to get what you want.

Sure. It would detect powers with the biological powers, and probably powers that were innate to "biological" creatures (as opposed to constructs, devices, and objects).

This looks usable. I was looking at Mind Reading as a possibility but something about it didn't quite feel right. As for the power strength, going with the Assessment feat's way of listing information works fine for me. It would give him an idea of the strength of the person he was working with. Adding another flaw to the Mind reading that he must see the power in use before he can learn about it, could work. Still working it out in my head.

If I was GMing, he would work out much better as I could do all of this on the fly. :(

One of the great reasons I like the villians not being held to the same constraits in the game as the PCs.

That's helpful. I think I see the character forming a little better now. Thanks.

This looks usable. I was looking at Mind Reading as a possibility but something about it didn't quite feel right. As for the power strength, going with the Assessment feat's way of listing information works fine for me. It would give him an idea of the strength of the person he was working with. Adding another flaw to the Mind reading that he must see the power in use before he can learn about it, could work. Still working it out in my head.

If I was GMing, he would work out much better as I could do all of this on the fly. :(

One of the great reasons I like the villians not being held to the same constraits in the game as the PCs.

That's helpful. I think I see the character forming a little better now. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Getting closer to finishing the character now that I'm back.

Right now I have a question about Nullify. Is the three point version allowed in the game if limited to the below Mind reading ability?

Mind Reading 9 [Flaws] - 3 PPs.

That would limit the effectiveness of the ability drastically I would guess. I also would like to change the duration from Instant to more of a time limit. At least 2 but no more than 5 rounds I would guess. Would Power control work better?