Question for a Villian Concept

MBCE

Getting closer to finishing the character now that I'm back.

Right now I have a question about Nullify. Is the three point version allowed in the game if limited to the below Mind reading ability?

Mind Reading 9 [Flaws] - 3 PPs.

That would limit the effectiveness of the ability drastically I would guess. I also would like to change the duration from Instant to more of a time limit. At least 2 but no more than 5 rounds I would guess. Would Power control work better?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting closer to finishing the character now that I'm back.

Right now I have a question about Nullify. Is the three point version allowed in the game if limited to the below Mind reading ability?

That would limit the effectiveness of the ability drastically I would guess. I also would like to change the duration from Instant to more of a time limit. At least 2 but no more than 5 rounds I would guess. Would Power control work better?

Do you mean that your Nullify would only work after making a successful Mind Reading check? If so, then I think Power Control is just what you're looking for.

But to answer your first question, I'd be very cautious about allowing even a limited version of the 3 PP/rank Nullify, but I wouldn't rule it out completely.

Do you mean that your Nullify would only work after making a successful Mind Reading check? If so, then I think Power Control is just what you're looking for.

But to answer your first question, I'd be very cautious about allowing even a limited version of the 3 PP/rank Nullify, but I wouldn't rule it out completely.

Yes, that is correct. He would have to 'read' the character first to nullify their abilities. He would only be able to nullify the abilities that he has read which really limits him greatly.

Perhaps I should go into more details on the concept to make things clearer.

Torture, the character's name, is basically a mutant hunter. Threw his own hands, he gained the ability to 'read' people's powers and see their weaknesses -- think of Styler from heroes. With this knowledge, he goes about setting up traps using devices and inventions to deal with mutants. His personal arsenal gives him the ability to counter or negate the effects of others. So he could turn off powers for a short time, long enough for his inventions to do the real damage.

I'm not sure if I want it to be innate or in a device of some kind. I was looking at Gadgets as an option, but saw that variable pools were in question here. So the best idea that I had would be nullify. I'll take a look at the power control again and see how that works out. If he's stuck with having to concentrate only then I'll have to take another look for a way around it.

By the way, thanks a lot for all the input. It has been very helpful.

Yes, that is correct. He would have to 'read' the character first to nullify their abilities. He would only be able to nullify the abilities that he has read which really limits him greatly.

Torture, the character's name, is basically a mutant hunter. Threw his own hands, he gained the ability to 'read' people's powers and see their weaknesses -- think of Styler from heroes. With this knowledge, he goes about setting up traps using devices and inventions to deal with mutants. His personal arsenal gives him the ability to counter or negate the effects of others. So he could turn off powers for a short time, long enough for his inventions to do the real damage.

I'm not sure if I want it to be innate or in a device of some kind. I was looking at Gadgets as an option, but saw that variable pools were in question here. So the best idea that I had would be nullify. I'll take a look at the power control again and see how that works out. If he's stuck with having to concentrate only then I'll have to take another look for a way around it.

If he's a mutant hunter, then you would only need the 2 pp/rank version of Nullify, using the mutant descriptor. If the Nullify only lasts for a short while, that would be the Fades flaw as well. I'd make what you described like this (where X is whatever rank you'd want):

Nullify X (2 pp/rank (mutant descriptor powers), Extras: Duration (Sustained) (+2), Flaws: Fades (-1), Limited (Only works on targets who failed vs. a Mind Reading check) (-1), PF: "Extra Use" Y)

After you read the target's mind, you could take a standard action and begin to Nullify a target's power. The effect will gradually wear off, so you'd need to use your other inventions to try to capture the mutant. You also would only be able to use the ability once at full power without spending an HP to recharge it during combat. The PF "Extra Use" is basically the Luck feat, Limited to recharging Nullify (so you'd get two extra uses per 1 pp).

One other thing, though - Freedom City is a PG-rated board. With a name like Torture, you could be going pretty dark. Even if you are a villain, graphic depictions of injuries and the like don't fit in here. I'd just want that understanding before you went further, in case it doesn't fit with your character concept.

If he's a mutant hunter, then you would only need the 2 pp/rank version of Nullify, using the mutant descriptor. If the Nullify only lasts for a short while, that would be the Fades flaw as well. I'd make what you described like this (where X is whatever rank you'd want):

Nullify X (2 pp/rank (mutant descriptor powers), Extras: Duration (Sustained) (+2), Flaws: Fades (-1), Limited (Only works on targets who failed vs. a Mind Reading check) (-1), PF: "Extra Use" Y)

After you read the target's mind, you could take a standard action and begin to Nullify a target's power. The effect will gradually wear off, so you'd need to use your other inventions to try to capture the mutant. You also would only be able to use the ability once at full power without spending an HP to recharge it during combat. The PF "Extra Use" is basically the Luck feat, Limited to recharging Nullify (so you'd get two extra uses per 1 pp).

One other thing, though - Freedom City is a PG-rated board. With a name like Torture, you could be going pretty dark. Even if you are a villain, graphic depictions of injuries and the like don't fit in here. I'd just want that understanding before you went further, in case it doesn't fit with your character concept.

That is an option, but it would greatly limit the character. He focuses on mutants, but his powers will work on anyone. Also, considering how free the board is on character description, i.e. origin, it would mean the power would be fairly useless then.

It's just a name and he isn't that dark. Besiddes, he is a villian which mean she should lose most of the time. I appreciate the warning though.

That is an option, but it would greatly limit the character. He focuses on mutants, but his powers will work on anyone. Also, considering how free the board is on character description, i.e. origin, it would mean the power would be fairly useless then.

It's just a name and he isn't that dark. Besiddes, he is a villian which mean she should lose most of the time. I appreciate the warning though.

That's a fair point. If you use the Nullify All option, are there any sorts of powers which he could not affect, such as magic or Devices? A Power Loss drawback might make the 3 pp/rank option less overwhelming in its scope.

That's a fair point. If you use the Nullify All option, are there any sorts of powers which he could not affect, such as magic or Devices? A Power Loss drawback might make the 3 pp/rank option less overwhelming in its scope.

The limit would be what he could pick up with the Mind read. So, the following factors would negate his ability to nullify powers. I'm not sure if I want him to be able to cut off Tech or not. I would think not. And Magic is a whole other bag of worms. Most likely, no to Magic, but I'm still out to lunch on the subject.

a) He fails to read the person's powers.

B) The character doesn't know they have a certain power. [This one is pretty touchy. If they use it in anyway, it would mean they 'know' about it.]

c) Power stunting off of a known power by getting an AP. [This is one that I haven't worked out in my mind yet, but someonething I think works.]

For example: Tortue reads Captain Atom's ability to produce a Force field and nullifies it. Capt. Atom after a moment realizes that he doesn't have his main defense. He sees Tortue raise his gun and Capt. decides to do something to save his butt. He spends an HP to AP Deflect off of his force field. Atom didn't know he could do it until this moment [the HP] so Torture of course couldn't block it in time for it not to work.

The limit would be what he could pick up with the Mind read. So, the following factors would negate his ability to nullify powers. I'm not sure if I want him to be able to cut off Tech or not. I would think not. And Magic is a whole other bag of worms. Most likely, no to Magic, but I'm still out to lunch on the subject.

B) The character doesn't know they have a certain power. [This one is pretty touchy. If they use it in anyway, it would mean they 'know' about it.]

c) Power stunting off of a known power by getting an AP. [This is one that I haven't worked out in my mind yet, but someonething I think works.]

For example: Tortue reads Captain Atom's ability to produce a Force field and nullifies it. Capt. Atom after a moment realizes that he doesn't have his main defense. He sees Tortue raise his gun and Capt. decides to do something to save his butt. He spends an HP to AP Deflect off of his force field. Atom didn't know he could do it until this moment [the HP] so Torture of course couldn't block it in time for it not to work.

Torture also would not be able to nullify any powers generated by things that don't have minds: forcefields generated by equipment, robots, people with immunity to mental powers, etc.

He also would not be able to nullify any existing effects that no longer had a mind connected to them.

Ex. Trapmaster leaves a Triggered Blast trap for Torture and then leaves the area.

Ex. Chickenman transforms Sally into a chicken with his continuous Transform power, and then is suddenly hit by a car and killed (poor Chickenman). His power continues to function, and Torture couldn't nullify it.

Stuff like that.

Torture also would not be able to nullify any powers generated by things that don't have minds: forcefields generated by equipment, robots, people with immunity to mental powers, etc.

He also would not be able to nullify any existing effects that no longer had a mind connected to them.

Ex. Trapmaster leaves a Triggered Blast trap for Torture and then leaves the area.

Ex. Chickenman transforms Sally into a chicken with his continuous Transform power, and then is suddenly hit by a car and killed (poor Chickenman). His power continues to function, and Torture couldn't nullify it.

Stuff like that.

Stuff like that.

Stuff like that.

All of the above are correct. He takes out the source, not the result. He is a villian afterall. :)

Stuff like that.

All of the above are correct. He takes out the source, not the result. He is a villian afterall. :)