Con Games (IC)

Though their convention was technically in the Liberty Dome, as Patrick Irons had promised, the signs that pointed the way to the HBC convention led the way not to the massive college dome itself but a smaller, attached auditorium. The crowd was small on a weekend, the walk there didn't take much time at all. They were early yet, a little bit yet before the scheduled opening time of the convention, and a small scattering of college kids and superhero fans were waiting outside. Many of them were obviously cosplayers; there a Captain Thunder, here a Raven, and one Scarab. Everyone was standing around and chatting about the latest superhero gossip.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taylor stopped abruptly at the costumed college kids, "Whoa, some of these folks take their super-hero fandom seriously. I don't see a Dark Star, though. I suppose that's lucky as that would be an awful lot of latex body paint. Which would be cold. I should have brought a camera. Why would anyone dress up in a costume if they didn't have to?"

The last was said under her breath. Taylor's fondness for her leotard was well known to her friends, after all.

"Come on, because it's fun," Stesha replied in an undertone, chuckling. "It's almost Halloween, and they're too old to go trick-or-treating. Though I guess I could've worn my costume after all, and I'd have fit right in." Stesha's costume was substantially higher quality materials than most of what was on display, but it would take a close look to determine that. She pulled out her cell phone and snapped a few pictures of the more interesting costumes, then motioned Taylor and Derrick to move together. "Okay, get together now and smile for the camera, the HeroCon 2009 commemorative shot."

Derrick nodded with a smile. "They do seem to be enjoying themselves immensely. Nothing wrong with that." Even if it seemed somewhat odd in his opinion. He was pretty thankful there were no 'Dark Stars' though. He wasn't sure how he'd handle that one but was pretty sure he'd be embarrassed. Taylor's idea of that...he steered away before it even entered his mind or he'd have turned a bright red. He nodded with a smile and moved next to Taylor, putting an arm around her companionably and smiled for the camera.

Taylor sighed but obediently slung an arm behind Derrick's waist in return and flashed her cheesiest grin with a thumbs up sign. When the picture was done she glanced around.

"It looks both cold and uncomfortable but to each their own. I had no idea they even had these kinda things. Learn something new every day."

Stesha laughed, snapping the picture. "You've got to try and get into the spirit of it," she encouraged, handing the phone to Taylor. "Now take a picture of us, quick. I think they're about to start letting people in." She scooted over to Derrick and wrapped her arms around him, looking over to smile at the cameras. "Maybe you can pick up a replica of Siren's net and make a Halloween costume around it," she added, teasing cheerfully.

Eventually the con organizers came to unlock the doors, letting the various college kids and fanboys into the small convention center adjacent to the Dome. Their visitors badge got them in easily enough, though the friendly man in the Foreshadow costume who scanned their badges before letting them in did give a significant look at the "Help a Hero!" jar on his desk. The sad-faced teenager whose picture was inside the plastic jar wore a bedraggled, obviously home-made costume, his glowing hands the only sign of his true power.

There were several rooms to visit inside the center, where fortunately not everyone was in costume. There was a film room, currently showing reels from the old Freedom Friends show, advertising a subsequent showing of the "controversial anime classic!" Akataiyo: The Crimson Sun. Inside a room opposite were the merchants, a dozen-or-so stalls selling everything from comic book back issues to original hero merchandise. There was the art gallery and the game room, along with the seminar room where, peeking in the door, Stesha recognized Patrick Irons as he worked to help set up the chairs for the seminar on the half-hour. There were several large clay pots near the small table at the head of the room, each of them filled with dirt.

"I think it's only one a year here," Stesha replied helpfully, linking her fingers through Derrick's and looking over Taylor's shoulder at the book. "Let's look at the merchandise booths first, then the art. If they have a plush Dark Star, I'm gonna buy it." She chuckled, glancing over at Derrick. "Maybe I'll get you one for your birthday, too. Sort of a conversation piece." A lot of the small crowd seemed to have the same idea, so she followed the flow of people towards the sales booths.

Derrick noted the crowds, booths and everything. Derrick immediately pulled out his wallet and dropped several bills into the 'help' jar. He might not be able to give any heroing assistance at the moment, but he felt the need to support the young heroes any way he could. He hoped the money would be used well. Perhaps he'd swing by here later as Dark Star to see if there was anything more he could do...

Taking her hand in his, Derrick blushed a little in embarrassment at Stesha words and fervently hoped no such thing existed. "Um, yeah.... It's a nice though that's not necesary. This is your day and time to shine after all," he said as he went along with them, seeing the sights.

The sales room wasn't as packed as it might have been at a larger site like CastleCon, but there was something to be said for smaller booths and an smaller crowd. There were booths selling classic comics going back to a 1950s reprint of the Centurion's first adventure, toys and collectibles of equal vintage, right down to the familiar Ace Danger action figures from the Kenner line in the 1970s, and many many others. Familiar and half-familiar faces greeted the three friends as they headed into a forest of four-color pictures and plastic figurines. Thanks to the long line, it was a minute or two before they made out the last booth and picked out the voice of the merchant inside.

"Come one, come all, to the first seller in town to market Knights of Freedom memorabilia!" called a seller dressed in a big Darth Solo shirt. "The favorite super-team of our guest of honor, Fleur de Joie! We've got Phantom capes, Fleur de Joie figurines, Avenger hockey masks, Divine togas, and the official Dark Star plushy!" The merchant held up his trophy high, a generic, mostly faceless stuffed-man figure covered in a soft black fabric covered in white sparkles. "Made right here in Freedom City by local merchants to pass the savings on to you!"

Upon closer inspection, his table was covered in Knights 'merchandise', with a little something for everybody on the team that hadn't bothered to get their image legally licensed. That left Scarab and Ace free and clear, but everyone else seemed to have gotten swept up in the marketing craze.

"It's a cloak," Taylor muttered under her breath before picking up one of the Avenger hockey masks. As the 'official' Avenger mask had come from a sporting goods store, they were probably the most accurate things on the table. She didn't flick a glance to Derrick but she did let out a sound that sounded suspiciously like a strangled laugh, "You have to get that for Stesha."

Stesha picked up the plush toy and examined it, then gave it a quick snuggle. "Oh, it's nice and soft. I'm going to get one for myself," she decided, laughing. "And then, when the rest of the plush toy line comes out, I can collect them all, and act out scenes from my favorite comic book adventures!" She moved the little Dark Star's legs, miming him walking through the air. "You could get one too," she suggested to Derrick, "and we could make them fight!" It was very odd to see a little plastic action figure of herself... or rather, a substantially longer-legged and skinnier plastic action figure version of Fleur de Joie, wearing her costume. "I better hurry, though, I have to get ready for my other engagement pretty quick."

He leaned back and looked at Taylor with a raised eyebrow. "Are you sure?" He admitted he wasn't particularly good at figuring out the whole social clues things. But he had been pretty certain that Stesha had told him she had some unresolved negative feelings for Jack. But if Taylor said it was a good idea, he was probably mistaken...

Derrick wasn't really sure what to think about the stuffed dolls. On one hand, it was kind of weird and he didn't particularly want images of himself sold. On the other, he'd had the SCC license all his stuff and donate the vast majority of it so it was going to a good cause. But still, he was a little embarressed. "I'm fairly certain that Dark Star is not plushy...nor do I think I could handle the concept of plushdom battles using those likenesses. This all feels very surreal actaully. Not bad; not good either. Just...so strange."

He nodded at Stesha with a smile. "We definitely wouldn't want that. Which reminds me, I should go find one of those disposable cameras or something. So we can record this."

"Don't tempt me," Stesha laughed, "l'm sure Ace would set me up with one if I asked. But that would be juvenile. Anyway, I'm getting the plushie for myself, so Derrick doesn't have to worry about seeming vain." She stepped forward to the counter and paid for her new toy, then began looking at some of the other things. "Oh look," she told Taylor gleefully, "you'll love this little Phantom doll. It's posable, and the cloak is removable too!" She handed the toy to Taylor for inspection, then gave Derrick a quick kiss, and passed him the plush toy as well. "Okay, I gotta go. I'll see you in ten minutes or so, across the way." She hurried off towards the ladies room.

Derrick nodded with a slight smile. That would have gotten him in quite a bit of trouble it seems. He looked at the little doll with a raised eyebrow. "Does it come without pants? That seems to be a vital part, or lack there of, of Phantom's when she transitions to her civies," he said with a chuckle. It was a long standing issue/joke that he couldn't resist commenting on, though he doubted the world at large knew about it.

"You'll be great. Can't wait!" He accepted the doll, and more importantly the kiss, with a smile and watched as she headed out. He turned to Taylor and shrugged. "So, anything you want to see here? We've got about 10 minutes apparently."

Taylor gave a little wave to Stesha as she darted off.

"Well, she might be in a leotard, but at least she's not letting it all hang out like Dark Star." Taylor turned innocent, laughing eyes up to Derrick from the plushie he'd been handed, as she added sweetly, "I hear he flies through space totally stark naked."

She quickly put the cloak back on the action figure before pausing as she saw the Knights all arrayed in a row. Her smile turned breifly wistful for a moment before she turned her attention back to Derrick, "Oh, the fan art room. Definately."

Derrick chose not to dignify Taylor's response with a comment. The moral high ground and all that. Of course, he was more than a little red from blushing. While Dark Star was just a human-shaped energy being, the whole talk of being naked was enough to embarress him into stammering, blushing and, in this case, silence.

He noted the smile and the figures, matching her expression for a moment. "Art room? Sounds fine to me. Looking for anything in particular or just curious," he asked as he held Stesha's plushie and trying not to look embarrassed.

Taylor returned the smile with an ease she would never have had in costume. "Curious mostly. Clearly there are some inventive re-creations. I might see if I can find something for Jack. He actually has an interest in comics. I never did."

They slipped into the fan-art room, Taylor checking her watch to make sure they wouldn't miss Stesha's big arrival. Promising herself a quick circuit, she continued to chat as they checked out the little artistic tables filled with skills that really spanned the gamut.

Derrick nodded as he walked beside her. "When I was just a young boy, I used to read them quite avidly. I can vaguely recall sitting on the living room floor and pour through the newest addition, the previous issues arrayed all around me. I sort of stopped following them as I hit high school and college. I still followed the news and reports of course. But it wasn't the same as the comics. Now I basically live them," he chuckled. "So it isn't quite as much of a draw."

When Fleur de Joie stepped out of the ficus in the main conference room, she was quickly greeted by an awe-struck Patrick Irons. "Oh, wow!" he exclaimed enthusiastically. "You're really here!" He gave her a huge smile, extending his hand to shake hers firmly. "That was so cool!" He was obviously very, very impressed with Fleur. "I love your costume," he said, "it looks really great. Did you...well, did you have a hard time getting here?" he asked with a little laugh. "I guess you don't have to worry about traffic!"

-

Over in the fan-art room, Derrick and Taylor found a whole assortment of works of art of various shapes and sizes. Here were hand-drawn pictures of Captain Thunder catching a falling airplane, there was a sculpture of Lady Liberty redirecting a radioactive blast from Gamma that had been about to incinerate the Atom kids. One enterprising soul had combined photomosiac software with comic book covers, producing classic images-from-images like the first picture of Centurion assembled entirely out of comic book covers, or the Liberty League made out of war bonds. It made for a very striking effeect.

• 1 month later...

((Stesha's vignette should've been posted right around in here, but yeah. So onward, ever onward!))

"No traffic," Stesha assured him with a smile, shaking his hand, "and your directions were just fine. Thanks for the landing spot." She gave the ficus an absent pat, making it turn greener and unroll a few new leaves while she brushed herself off and made sure that her costume was on straight after the quick trip through the foliage. "It looks like you've got a good turnout, from what I saw. So what's the plan?"

• 2 weeks later...

"Well, I thought we'd put you up here at the front of the room," he said, pointing to the Guest of Honor chair that someone had decorated like a verdant throne...at least within the budget of college students and their fan club. It mostly had some ivy growing around it. "And that way, you'll have a good seat for the Q&A session and the autograph session. We've got security to chase out any riff-raff. You're welcome to use the plants here to put on any kind of demonstration you like," he added with a grin. "Our fans would love that!"