Darkness Rising IC

angrydurf

Phantom sighed silently. Even intangible, the sewers weren't her favorite place to spend time. Still, she didn't hesitate as she gathered the folds of her cloak in her hands and sank through the concrete to catch up with Avenger.

"Hmmm..." Phantom murmered as she fished about her cloak for a flashlight, hoping she'd replaced the batteries. It would be handy to be able to see in the dark but it was sadly not one of her preternatural gifts.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I once had to clean sewer every day for 5 month. Thirteen hour day, no break. I think I will miss those times by morning." Samael gathered up his courage and stood out over the lip of the manhole over. "Make sure you put the cover back." said Samael to Dead Head as he descended into the darkness, hopefully not for the last time.

"Tote dat barge! Lift dat bale!," Dead Head replied as he pulled the cover over him. He sniffed a bit as he crawled down, "Wow -- even the sewers of Freedom smell nice! Well... nice-er."

In the darkness of the sewer, the zombie's flaming green eyes were much more prominent, throwing flickering shadows all around him. "Lead on, o leader!"

Avenger disappeared into the darkness ahead of them, falling away from sight, sound, and all forms of view for several long seconds before reappearing just around the corner as they came up behind him. "Apologies. Will stay in view." He led the way in sight now, creeping almost invisibly. He was silent at first, until finally a gentle, grating tune came rising from him. "Eye of the zombie, eye of the zombie, sneaking through the grass on leopard feet silently..."

Phantom's laugh was quick and husky in the darkness. Smacking the flashlight against one gloved palm, she finally activated the dim beam that cut through at least some of the oppressive darkness.

"Atlas, you said there were rumors of a 'giant thing' running around down here. Any idea where abouts in the sewer system? I can scry about but it'll take me less time if I have some idea of where to start."

It didn't take too long to find a bypass into the steam vents. Once there travel was a bit easier or at the least less moist. There were a few chambers and alcoves that looked to still be occupied though the residents seemed unnerved by the heroes presence, muttering to themselves. However it was clear that this area was much less populus than it had once been and with winter coming on that was a surprise.

"Ummmm... guys?" Dead Head asked as he saw the gathered people, and noted their reactions to them, "anyone else gettin' th' feelin' that they're more weirded out by y'all than by me? I mean, they all look scared, scared of all of us, but they seem... well... unsurprised by me."

Dead Head hung back with the others, waiting to see who'd talk first: good cop Phantom, bad cop Avenger, or inside man Atlas.

"Ze fact zat none of zem has all of zeir body parts might be ze reason." added Atlas in a low growl to Dead Head. Samael seperated from the group and went and sat down against the wall, not paying the slightest attention to how grimy it was. He made sure to stay a little bit away from the residents so as not to invade their space. "Vat happened to you down here?" asked Samael to one of the people in a far gentler tone than you would have previous thought he could use. Though it was a little half-hearted. As though he knew that the people here weren't going to be the most cooperative.

The man was clearly missing a leg though through the ragged clothes one couldn't tell exactly how fresh the injury was nor its full extent. He withdrew slightly at Atlas' approach and stammered, "N-Nuthin," His eyes shot to Atlas' compaions, "Least not yet. But I ain't tol no one what be down here, I know ta keep me hed down." He added defensively.

A few of the other lost souls in the area glanced over and scrabbled further back into their hidey holes trying not to bear witnes to whatever was about to happen.

When Atlas looked like he had the questioning in hand, Phantom turned her attention away from the small group of huddled hobos to begin searching the sewer tunnels with her mystical senses. If Atlas couldn't get them to talk, she might find a clue somewhere down one of these twisting tunnels. Floating incoporeal, she had little to fear if the hobos somehow managed to turn aggressive. More, she trusted Avenger with her back. Under the dark cloak of her hood, her eyes began to glow with a soft white light as she sent her senses out into the dark.

"Consequences of silence. Also dangerous." Avenger looked around at the homeless men, palpable menace radiating from him. He knew it would be hard to compete with whatever had injured these men, though, so he let his aura of danger be directed at the situation rather than the people around them. "Do you think they'll stop? You can keep that head. If you help."

The huddled masses retreated from Avengers intimidating growl. The one who atlas had been speaking to may have been brighter than the rest or just frightened enough nto to care anymore, "Y-you aren't with them?" He asked his terror of hte ephemeral 'them' clearly waring with the immediate threat presented by his interagators.

"T-they only take the healthy ones, leave us alone as long as we keep quite. But if they find out we talked they'll send their Beast after us. It doesn't care if you run or not." He explained nervously eyeing Dead Head now, "It just wants to feed, they keep it down there." He pointed towards the old subway sytems where an almost palpable darkness waited, "You can hear when the feed it sometimes." He shuddered at the memory.

As Phantoms senses traveled the halls and galleries of the abandonded underground she found them eerily empty. She felt traces of the strange shadowy magic at the fringes of her senses and as she delved deeper the magic only strengthened. As she was about to turn back for fear of discovery she heard an echoing scream that cut off all to quickly.

"Found it. It's got someone too." Phantom's senses snapped back to the area like a broken rubber band. "A lot of magic too. Might be traps."

Gathering her cloak around her, she took point. While they might be very well able to hurt her ghostly body, her senses gave her an edge in looking for magic.

"Er, 'scuse me, ma'am," Dead Head said to Phantom, "but it seems t'me that all four of us are the type who usually 'take point'. But I think I should do so in this instance -- if there is some big nasty monster down there, alive or undead, it should go fer me first. If'n it's a livin' critter, it probably can't do much to me, and I'm sure t'call out a warnin' when it's upon me. And if it's undead, well, there's a fair chance it won't do a thing t'me, and I could still call back to tel y'all what's down there."

"And before you say anythin' about yer special magical senses," he was quick to add, as he plucked off his left ear, "you can just speak into this and I'll her ya juuussst fine."

"Do not worry comrade. Ve vill put end to 'zem'. Ve good at zat." Atlas stood up from the muck and brushed himself off slightly. "Do vatever. Ze more time ve spend talking, ze less time zat person has. Move!" Samael starts heading further down the tunnel. The speed at which he moves seems more to signify the need for the team to take immediate action, rather than him acting independent of their plans.

• 1 month later...

The sounds grew louder as the Heroes made their way down the tunnel. Clearly something had gone very wrong in the depths of the abandoned underground. Phantom and Dead Heads mystical senses were set abuzz as they grew closer to the sounds of some sort of fight.

They burst into a large gallery of some sort, likely some former subway station of a long deceased track. The lights here seemed to be functional though dim and set the scene of a grisly tableu. Several black robed men and women huddled in the protection of some kind of shadowy mystic circle shouting commandments at several animate corpses. The worse of it however was in the center of the room. A horrid patchwork creature reared nearly twenty feet in the air surrounded by zombies futilely trying to contain it. It had arms and legs protruding at improbable angles along the length of its almost serpentine body and teminated in a freakish maw surounded grasping hands. They could see below it the tattered remains of a more ornate robe not disimilar to those of the cultists hudling behind thier makshift ward. This had to be the 'creature' the fearfull residents of the higher levels refered to.

The green flames in Dead Head's eyes flared brighter, due both to his own growing fury and the interaction between him and the wards, particularly the ward around the cultist he was going after. "You vile dogs! I would threaten to chop you up and feed you to that thing, but you'd probably enjoy that! So instead... " CLANG rang his shovel against the cultist's head.

Okay, lots of cultists and zombies, and that big thing. Those tatters at its base -- could it have been one of their own, twisted into this hideous form? Are they till trying to control it? Whatever it is, it can't be let out.

The cultist barely had time to turn and face the avenging undead before the shovel collided with his head and he dropped to the floor in an almost boneless seeming heap. Across the room there was a twin flare of shadowy energy from two of the Zombies as they suddenly collapsed as well as if they were puppets with thier strings cut.

Phantom floated over to the shadow ward that the cultists were frantically maintaining, ignoring the hectic battle to all outward appearances. After glancing at the magic circle for a second or two, her cloak parted and Phantom stretched out a single transluscent hand that she gathered the shadow energy into like a child gathering cotton candy, and with about as much effort. Once she had leached the power out of it, she tossed the shadows wreathing her hand almost casually at the circle itself which shattered with an audible crack.

"The ward versus the undead is down. Now let me see if I can unravel all these tendrils animating the zombies," Phantom lifted her hands up, her fingertips moving slightly as if she was playing strands of yarn between her hands that only she could see.

The cultists seemed too distracted to really notice Phantoms approach or even the bludgeoning of one of there members so focused were they upon trying to rein in their creation. As the Ward collapsed however they turned in horror almost as one towards Phantom, "YOU FOOL YOU'VE KILLED US ALL!" the seeming new leader exclaimed accusatorily.

The Zombies continued their futile assault on the Creature undead fists slamming into Undead flesh with a sickly sound.

"Aww, what's wrong, lil' graverobbers?," Dead Head chided as his shovel clanged against another cultist's head. "Was that lil' ward designed to keep that giant thing in as much as it is to keep folks like me out? I- oh... oh, crap!"

"Hey, Witchiepoo!," he called out to Phantom, though he was already sizing up another cultist, "did you just make things better, or worse?!"