Sunny Afternoon (IC)

Electra

The school year had barely started, but Claremont was already a busy place, with all the students returned and classes already back in session. It was a little quieter on the weekends, with some students off training, others enjoying the city, and the day students not even on campus. After a morning spent on group training with Young Freedom, Erin was happy to take advantage of the nice weather to spend a little time outside by herself. The campus was attractive at any time of year, but it seemed at its peak in the fall, with the gardens still showing some flowers and the grass still brilliant green, even as the leaves on the many trees began turning colors.

She had her physics textbook with her, unfolded on her lap, but didn't pay it much attention. It was nicer just to sit and relax for awhile. Erin was just thinking about leaning back for a little nap when a new figure caught her eye. She was getting used to seeing people she didn't recognize walking around on campus, but this one seemed like he didn't quite have his bearings yet. She kept an eye on him as he got closer.

Jason felt overwhelmed while walking the grounds, taking in the sight of the medieval styled structure that was Claremont academy. It was as if the structure stood as a symbol for hope for the beleaguered city its crime always on the rise and fall. But that wasn't his concern now. Well sure it was everyones concern especially at Clarmont but his concern right now was did he truly belong here among prospective heroes.

He watched as the grass shivered in the autumn wind. He found a large tree that provided a bastion of comfort. Jason sat down and let his legs stretch out on the grass. He then ran a hand over his shaved short brown hair and adjusted the sleeves on his Denim Jacket. He then closes his eyes and lets the breeze wash over him.

Erin watched the new guy for another few minutes, but after he sat down, he didn't look like he was about to get up again for awhile. She debated going back to her textbook, but that was hideously boring, and she was curious. Besides, it would give her something to tell Dr. Marquez about, and maybe get him off her back for another week. Rising, she stuffed the book back into her knapsack and walked toward where the new guy had sat down.

She saw his eyes were closed when she got closer, which made her rethink her strategy. It was not necessarily a good idea to surprise anyone around here, she knew that full well. Stopping a few feet away, out of arm's reach, she asked, "Hey, are you new here?"

Jason Opened his eyes with a start, to a tall brunette girl who Jason assumed was a student at the academy. He then stood up and said with a smile "Yes, I got here early this morning, My name is Jason, it's a pleasure to meet you" he extended his hand as if to make a formal handshake.

well at least I might make a friend

"I'm Erin," Erin replied, taking his hand and shaking it. She had a very firm handshake, but not painfully so. It seemed like she was deliberately keeping it under control. "I started this summer. What grade are you in?" When he stood, she sized him up automatically. He was shorter than she'd expected, but well-muscled in his arms, and with a very square jaw that gave him a sort of stubborn look. It wasn't a bad attitude to bring to a place like this, honestly. "Have you gotten your room assignment and stuff yet?"

Jason gently shook Erin's hand and nodded. Her handshake was strong and confident and he felt that she new it was. Jason responded "well, I've transferred here as a sophomore. I haven't received my class list yet because I'm sort of trying to find my way around." He stopped and paused for a moment as another breeze flowed around him "Have you ever just stopped and felt a breeze like this?"

Don't get all deep on yourself now Jason you don't want to freak anyone out

Erin turned her head to look in the direction the wind was coming from, checking for anything approaching, then sniffing it to see if it smelled weird. But it just seemed like a normal breeze to her. They'd been getting them all afternoon, and it was starting to make her wish she'd worn a headband. "Um... I guess so?" she said, a little hesitantly. "It just feels like wind to me. Do you think there's something strange about it?"

Jason looked back at her and snapped out of his daze as Erin looked around; as if to sense danger. As she responded he felt slightly embarrassed that he was rambling on about the wind. Great now I'm spacing out on my first day "Forgive me Ms. Erin, I was in my own thoughts. What grade are you in?" Did she think I was trying to warn her of danger? I'll definitely have to get used to this if i'm going to fight criminals.

Assured that he was just making small talk, Erin refocused her attention. "I'm a junior," she told him. "More or less. They'll probably give you your class list first thing on Monday morning, I don't think any of the guidance people are here on weekends. But if you didn't get a map or anything, I can show you around the place. Or if you'd rather, it's pretty easy to find what you'e looking for. Dorms, caf, classes, administration, gym," she explained, pointing at the buildings surrounding them.

Erin shrugged. "A lot of them have families that live in the city, even some of the ones who stay here on campus. Some of them go home on weekends. Otherwise there's field trips, training missions, or people just go do stuff in Freedom City. Are you from around here?" She tossed her very full backpack onto her shoulder like it was weightless, then started heading in the direction of the caf and the dorms. "I was going to head over to dinner pretty soon anyway, there's always some people around there. You hungry?"

Jason did feel a little hungry, He had skipped lunch because he had been busy unpacking. "Sure I could go for something to eat. whats the food like here?" He then felt his stomach growl as if to agree with his attitude. "I...usually live near Kingston. But I guess I expected something different about the school" Jason noticed that Erin had some strength to her. He wondered if whether it was ok to show his powers or not but that would have to wait.

"Hey, Erin!" called Mark, walking over with a cheerful look on his handsome face. "Who's your friend?" Mark was on his way to lunch, like everyone else, and led the way as they headed for the cafeteria. "Mark Lucas," he explained, sticking his hand out and giving the other boy's hand a firm shake. His hand was much weaker than Erin's, but his smile much stronger. "Nice to meet you."

Jason gave the newcomer a smile back "Jason Hatcherson, likewise. I'm a new Sophomore here. I just got in this morning" he replied. Jason hoped all students here were this friendly. He was already beginning to like this place, though that was just him easily finding good things about places he visits. Wonder what powers he has?

"Hey Mark," Erin said, giving her classmate a half-wave. "We were just going to grab something to eat. I figured people might be around." She looked relieved to see him; being sociable with strangers wasn't exactly Erin's long suit. "The caf here is pretty good," she told Jason, "mostly healthy food most of the time, but it tastes pretty good. And there's vending machines and stuff, and fast food off campus, but the caf itself is free."

Jason nods towards Erin and says "Sounds like a good variety Erin, you going come with us Mark?" Jason brushed himself off from having sat on the ground and looked towards mark. He wanted to know more about his fellow students. Where did they get there powers...if any, where are they from. He felt like a kid in a comic book store except that he was part of the comic himself! I bet they probably have some good vegetarian foods

"Oh hey, you're a sophomore? I know some guys in that class, I'll have to see if my buddy Nate Collins is around. And you bet I am, Jason. I like to do my best to show you new guys around." He grinned, his teeth perfect and white. There was something very perfect about Mark, his teenage face unmarked with acne, his hair cut in a fashionable style. His clothes weren't particularly fancy, so he wasn't rich or preppie. He just seemed very...well-assembled. "I just started junior year myself. Been here since I was thirteen."

"Erin! Mark!" A cheerfully exuberant redhead called out as she all but jogged down the steps to catch up with them. She was a slightly built young woman with large hazel eyes. Although slightly hidden behind a rather hefty stack of books clutched to her chest, she was still visible enough to be clearly dressed in a riot of colors. From her hot pink long sleeve t-shirt to the sparkly green butterfly clips holding back her red curls.

She was a little breathless when she stopped long enough to give the stranger in the group a cheery smile as she tried to juggle books enough to free up a hand. "Sorry, I'm Alex. Alex Albright. Nice to meet you."

Returning the smile Jason replied to the exceedingly colorful girl "Jason Hatcherson, pleased to meet you Alex, do you need some help with those books?" Jason then thought about what Mark had said Since he was thirteen? He would have to ask about that later. He also wondered how so many students had managed to hide their super powers from the public. Perhaps the Freedom city government had something to do with it.

"Hey, cutie," said Mark, putting his arm around Alex's shoulders without a trace of artifice. "You're just in time to meet Erin's new buddy. Care to join us all for some food? We can tell Jason all about how awesome the school is. Need a hand with those books?" Again, there was no hint of deception or exaggeration from Mark; he really was very pleased about everything.

She shook her head at Jason, setting her hair bouncing, "No, it's cool, thank you. Is this your first day? It's a great school. We love it here. Started just at the start of summer."

The words bubbled out of her rapidly. Alex gave Mark a brighter smile and happily surrendered some of her thick tomes to her boyfriend, as she pressed a fond kiss to his cheek. "Sounds great. I'm famished. I've had back to back labs."

When the group made their way into the Cafeteria Mike was already seated at a table with James, his tray as usual piled high with his preffered high carb selections. The tall boy waved to his friends as they entered and waited as they made their way through the line.

When they came to the table he stood and greeted the newcomer first, "Hi, Mike Harris." He said extending one big hand in greeting.

• 3 weeks later...

Jason extended his hand as well and shook Harris' "Jason Hatcher, Whats good to eat today?" He saw that Harris' tray was loaded with carbs and wondered if anyone had powers based on what they eat. Since he had gained his powers from the scuba accident, he had always wondered exactly what had happened that had altered his chemisty.