What, Again? (IC)

Avenger Assembled

It was a typical Friday morning at the First Bank of Kingston, a small regional bank with branches extending throughout the suburbs of Freedom City. There were students dropping off their paychecks, people coming in to make withdrawals at the start of business, children playing in the little puzzle and game corner where they kept themselves busy while their parents waited in the long, roped-off bank lines.

And then the flying gorilla in the hawk costume crashed through the front window in a shower of glass, sending people running and screaming in terror! There was only one thought on everyone's mind. "What, again?!" It was a horrible moment, but what could you do against such a terrible threat?

Even the guards stood stock-still, frozen in shock as the bizarre monstrosity landed on the counter, flapping its mighty wings and sending a terrible glare down at the hairless mutants, aka Homo sapiens, all around it."I am Tyranny Eagle! Deliver me your valuables, or I shall smash this building to the ground!" By way of demonstrating his power, Tyranny Eagle punched right through the bulletproof glass surrounding the tellers, a look of fury on his simian face. "This will be the start of my new empire! Bwa-ha-ha-ha!"

Once is chance, twice is coincidence. Three times is conspiracy. One more bank robbery while she was conducting perfectly normal business and Taylor was really going to start to write a strongly worded letter to the fates. Fortunately, rather than waiting in the long and rather exposed line, she was in a side office going over the somewhat hopeless prospects of a first time home loan. While the less-than-helpful clerk had stepped out to see what the conflict was about, Taylor had taken the chance to dive through the wall. In the chaos, she doubted that the woman would even notice she'd gone missing and it gave her a chance to transform into her alter ego.

Ephemeral, Phantom ghosted through the floor and rose up behind the extra-dimensional monkey as her cloak billowed out dramatically. "As far as megalomaniacal plans go, I have certainly heard better."

She raised her hands, filling them with eldritch power, "If you surrender now, I'll allow you to return to your world concious."

Tyranny Ape swore a blasphemous oath that called upon the primate gods of his forebears to perform unspeakable acts to Phantom's spiritual ancestors. With a mighty roar, he spread his monstrous wings and pointed a huge fist at Phantom. "YOU! You'll never send me back to Ape-pire City, do you hear? Never! Ape shall triumph over hairless man, and I am mighty ape with wings! Your hairless magic is no match for my power!" And with that, he snatched up a screaming teller, tucking her under his arm like a football. "Come, do your worst! Her head shall adorn my flying apealace if you dare touch me!"

And now the angry giant ape had a hostage. Perfect. This is what came of hanging out with Dark Star. Silently resolving to blast the monkey the next time she saw him rather than give him the chance to surrender, Phantom growled, "Don't make this harder than it has to be. If you hurt her, I'll hurt you and you'll still end up back on the world you belong on."

Silently, Phantom weighed her options, glancing quickly from side to side to see what was available. She could get the woman away before he killed her, of that she had little doubt. Before he hurt the woman badly was more of a question. There were too many innocent bystanders with left her with very few options. Phantom slid her glance to the ape and uncurled her fingertips regretfully as she banished the eldritch lighnting, "If you are so great, so mighty, you have no need for hostages. I will even give you the chance to prove your superiority. Your strength against my magic above the skies of Freedom City."

Tyranny Ape stroked his jaw with one massive prehensile foot. "Nyyyees! A test of power most magnificent!" He gave her a look the meaning of which was best not parsed. "You would have made a lovely orangutan, hairless one. But what guarantee do I have of your trustworthiness? Dimensional guardians are notoriously treacherous, particularly the foul homo sapiens." He waved his screaming hostage for emphasis, his booming voice the only thing audible over hers.

"I have already dismissed my magic, nor have I committed any acts of agression against you," Phantom said cooly. It was certainly a better spin than 'I didn't hit you from behind, which I'm currently regretting, what more could you ask?'. As for the 'compliment', Phantom moved right along past that. It was really better to not encourage any of that line of thinking.

"I am not any simple guardian, given to patrol one gate or one world. I am Heshem's own Chosen. The keeper of paths to every world, every dimension and every door. My word is enough for the gods themselves. It is enough for you!" She thundered the statement, eyes flashing beneath her cowl.

"Nyyeesss...very well! To the sky!" And with that, Tyranny Ape hurled his hostage aside like so much weight and took to the air, flapping his mighty wings and powering his way back through the huge hole he'd punched (again) in the ceiling to make his initial appearance. He headed high into the sky quickly, his deep, baritone chuckle heading down as his silhouette retreated into the bright sky above.

"The police should be on their way, shortly. I'll take care of the winged ape." Phantom caught the hostage before she could crack her skull against the wall and lowered her to the ground before she took off after the winged ape with a vengance.

I'm not even going to drop you in a nice part of your planet this time. I'm going to find somewhere that's filled with fleas. Hot and filled with fleas. Despite her internal grumblings, she was cautious as she followed the ape as she'd been shot enough while insubstantial lately.

When Phantom's head cleared, she saw the terror of the ape skies flying away gracefully, his massive muscles rippling powerfully beneath his mighty wings. "None shall stand before the gorilla of the skies! Bwahaha!" He laughed an evil laugh, his deep voice rippling the air all around him. He was strong in many ways, his sheer power incalculable!

"What ho!" boomed the majestic, maleficent, malevolent monarch of the hairy skies. "You think you can defeat me! The lord and master of the skies, the king of creation?" He hurled a mighty fist at Phantom, his blow this time harmlessly passing through her midsection. His gigantic ape eyes boggled at that, and he said an exceedingly foul word in his own blasphemously primate native tongue.