The Same Thing We Do Every Night ... [IC]

angrydurf

Taylor shook her head but her posture relaxed, "It's fine. It just... You caught me off guard with that is all. All I saw on screen was, well, the end."

She paused, realizing he might not have known and said as gently as she could, "Your dreams were being projected on screen. That's what Dark Star meant by 'not giving anything away'."

Taylor bit her lip again as that seemed an even worse violation that putting Jack through hell, was the fact that it had been on display for everyone to see.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Well, that's reassuring," Jack made a joke of it even as his voice broke a little. "God...I guess I'm lucky you didn't come in earlier." He made a small noise. "Sometimes I'm afraid it's the...the beast in me that makes me have so much trouble dealing with people. Normal people. But other times I think it's just me." He looked at Taylor. "You know I haven't dreamed in four years? That's why it was so real."

"It's hard to dream if you don't sleep," Taylor said in what could have been an attempt at a joke but wasn't. She reached back out for him, almost tenatively, as she'd pulled away at his revelations, "It's terrifying, isn't it? All of a sudden, you'll realize there's something you've stopped doing that everyone normal on the planet takes for granted. Then you spend a few heart stopping moments searching your memory, trying to remember when the last time you did that thing was. What it felt like. Why you even did it in the first place. Like a mini-panic attack, as you try and run through the list you've concocted in your head of what 'normal' is to make sure there's no other scrap of humanity you've dropped when you weren't looking. No other part of what used to be 'you'."

"I know. God, I know about humanity...and the lack thereof. Feeling like it was never going to matter." Jack took her hand and looked up at her, shocking vulnerability in his eyes for an agonizing moment. "There were things I never thought I'd feel again, Taylor. Until I met you." He held it there, his hand as ever slightly cool and clammy in hers, his face gazing up at her.

The pulse in her throat leapt as Taylor was torn between being touched and a little frightened at the naked intensity in Jack's gaze. Taylor leaned up to brush her lips against his cooler ones, as she inclined her body trustingly against his. "You're a good person, Jack. I believe in you. I trust you."

She slipped her arms around his waist, voice a little muffled against his shoulder as she admitted the last, "I love you. I'm not going anywhere."

Jack gasped softly at her words, automatically pulling her against his body. "If you can take me for all that I am," he murmured to her, "then I love you, too." He leaned over and kissed her at that, his lips cool on hers again, gradually warming beneath her touch. He held her, and the moment, for what felt like forever. "Stay with me tonight."

Taylor gave a shaky nod as she wound her arms up around his shoulders. She moistened her lips before she finally replied, knowing that this was not something to give lightly. This time, she knew what agreeing to stay meant. The choice had been hers to make, eyes open. Her voice was husky as she replied quietly, "Yes. Yes, I'll stay."