Within a Mile of Home (IC)

quotemyname

Breakdown woke suddenly, and with a start. Thoughts came rushing back into his brain. So did his senses, and with them the pain. It took him a while before he realized what it was that he was seeing. His other senses were not that much help either. But he figured it out eventually. Asphalt... It also took him quite sometime to work out what he was hearing. It's jumbled, like so many different sounds mashed into one. A crowd...

His brain was still having trouble processing everything when suddenly things clicked. @#$% The girl! And that other guy! He quickly tried to sit up and his back spasmed. He yelled out in pain, but managed to pull himself into a kneeling position. He had noticed that the crowd had pulled back away from him as he yelled out.

"Hey, kid, are you okay?" One of the men in the crowd had stepped forward to try and help him stand. "You took that car in the face pretty hard. We all thought you were a goner. You haven't even moved in ages!"

"I did what?" Breakdown replied, he couldn't remember what had actually taken him out of the fight. "You've got to be joking."

The man helped breakdown stand, "No, sir." The man pointed through the crowd to reveal a wrecked and overturned car in the middle of the street.

By this time Breakdown was standing. "Yea...I remember that now. I wish I didn't, though." He rubbed his head. "Look... Thanks for the help. But you guys have to get out of here. I don't know if those two are still around. And with that guy's casual display of power... I doubt he would have any qualms about tossing cars at large crowds."

"You're probably right. I'll break up this crowd. We've already called 911. An ambulance is on its way for you if you..."

"Thanks but no thanks, pops. I don't have time to sit on a stretcher." he suddenly had the urge to do something about the fight that had just gone wrong. The problem was that he didn't know what TO do. But he did know someone who did.

Breakdown took off running as he booted up the iPod with his rock&roll music on it. For all of his talents, Breakdown was not the fastest member of Young Freedom. It would be a while before he reached Claremont...

"Crowded streets all cleared away

One by One

Hollow heroes separate

As they run

You're so cold

Keep your hand in mine

Wise men wonder while

Strong men diiieeeeeee!"

It was at that point that Breakdown did something he rarely ever does. He skipped the song that was currently playing. "I can't take it. That song was depressing me." He said to no one in particular as he waited for the next one to start up.

This one was one of his favorites. And it was oddly appropriate. Breakdown ran a little faster as Flogging Molly keyed up the first few chords to Within a Mile of Home.

"Dust falls on the empty halls of my old school

Where the memories fade like the casualty, a forgotten fool

Now wide-eyed has become the blind of spoken rule

As equal only deep is now the word

The lesson's not the answer you once heard"

As the song played, Breakdown began to reflect on both it and his recent defeat. This song is so strange. It fills me with hope, yet at the same time, it's so sad. It's kind of like how that fight made me feel. I lost. And it was for the first time too. I've always had the others behind me to watch my back, but they can't always be there. If I am going to make this super hero thing work, I have to be able handle things on my own once in a while...

""Don't turn your back on me, don't ever let me down"

She said, "I picked you up each time before you hit the ground

Your selfish face is now erased when someone mentions you

And the darkness that you left is overstepped aside

Will disappear in clouds, the sun arrives

Within a mile of home, within a mile of home""

It's like the song says. I'm a great team mate. But I can't believe that's all I have to contribute to this world. I just need more practice at this hero thing. This entire time I've just been trying to keep up with Edge and the rest of the team. My first time out on my own I get beat. This should be no big deal to me! That's it I'm just going to pick myself up, forget about being 'a good team mate' and I am going to rock this super hero thing!"

"Oh worry, oh my worry has it been that long?

The whistle keeps on blowing but the chills all gone

His empty frame cannot explain, there's nothing left inside

So sing to me a song from yesterday

When laughter filled the tears that we now make"

Sometimes it's hard for me to believe that I've been in this town for as long as I have. It's been about two months. But it seems like so much less! I hate how my life flashes before my eyes so many times! Breakdown continued his trek back to Claremont. For some reason he started thinking of home. It wasn't that far away from Freedom City, but it was far enough that he hadn't been back since coming here. I've never even stopped to think about all of my old friends. I didn't really fit in there because of my powers, but I still miss those guys sometimes...

"Don't turn your back on me, don't ever let me down"

She said, "I picked you up each time before you hit the ground

Your selfish face is now erased when someone mentions you

If only you had seen what I now see

And turned the corner where you would of been

Within a mile of home, within a mile of home"

You know what? Screw those guys from back home! I could have had a great life there, but no one really wanted to be a part of it. Here I've got friends. Here I've got a great school. Here I have a life, a job, and a purpose. I'm a hero, damnit! And I am going to start acting more like it! I'm going to find those guys! And I am going to beat him! Whoever he is!

"So sing to me, sing me a song, a song from yesterday

And when the laughter turned these tears before the promises, then they'll slip away

Don't turn your back on me, dont't turn your back on me, don't ever let me down

Don't turn your back on me, dont't turn your back on me, don't ever let me down

We are within a mile, we are within a mile, within a mile of home

We are within a mile, we are within a mile, within a mile of home"

Appropriately enough, as the song wrapped up, Breakdown strolled onto the Claremont campus. This was the first time he had experienced what Geckoman would call a late night. Nothing to do except crawl into bed and handle things the next morning.