Training Day [IC]

angrydurf

"Well," Ace said with a smile as danced lightly from foot to foot, "I was under the impression this was for times that wasn't an option."

He waited for what seemed quite awhile before making his move. But when he made his move it was quick and deliberate, his hand snaped out at great speed his fingers parting at the last second then closed ever so lightly around her throat, his thumb sliding almost sensually along her jugular. Then just as quickly his hand dropped once more to his side a wry grin on his face.

A punch she was expecting but Taylor jerked away from the touch and automatically phased out of Ace's hands. She gave him an irritated look as she resolidified, not just at the flirty carress but more that he'd startled her enough that she'd phased. It proved both of his points, not just that he could overcome her defense, but that her ingrained response was a little too ingrained. Taylor pulled a face at him, "That's not fair, Ace."

"Fights seldom are Taylor." Ace replied sardonically.

Having taken a basic measure of their skills ace took a step back to adress them both. "So what is your goal with this? Both of you have fare better means of defense than fisticufs at your disposal so what are you wanting to work on?"

His tone was without judgement he just wanted to know how to focus thier training.

Stesha looked at Taylor, then shrugged. "We both have secret identities we can't really afford to lose," she explained. "It's one thing to encounter an actual supervillain, because then you really do need to either duck out and back or just take the risk, but there are regular bad guys out there, too. It's important to be able to defend ourselves in civilian getups, too. And then there's always the chance that something will pop up that can't be fought with magic. We don't want to be caught defenseless."

Ace shrugged at Stesha, "Both of you are well above the average woman on the street even without your powers." he said with a small laugh, "What you know now is certainly enough to help with the common thugs out there."

Ace nodded in Taylors direction, "However if forced to face a foe with powers and denied your own you may need some work." He agreed, "I've learned a bit here and there of alot of styles, what is your goal? Escape? or more being able to hold your own without powers?" he was prepared to try and teach them either but hoped they realized that the dedication to the martial arts neccisary to hold ones own against people with showier powers was akin to that which Taylor had put into her studies of the arcane. Not to mention the physical conditioning to excell at that level.

"Escape is good," Stesha said immediately. "If we can get away, we can do something from hiding if we have to, or change clothes, or call the police, or whatever. I'm not really interested in standing there and punching it out with anyone. Even if I do occasionally get a lucky hit," she added with a slightly rueful smile, rubbing her knuckles. "I'm not exactly fast though, in the running away department. I'd need to buy a little time to get out of the way."

"I don't have a flight instinct." Taylor admitted honestly, "I imagine I did before I became Phantom, but it's certainly gone now. I suppose it's from the training I have had."

She gave a little shrug of her shoulders and folded her arms against her chest, "I know I won't ever be able to hold my own without my powers, however. Even if I did have the time to devote to training, I've got no more physical prowess than any other woman of my size and lifestyle."

Ace nodded, "Well then," He said with a pleased smile, "I think I have some ideas that may be of aid." He stepped behind Stesha and Slowly wrapped one arm around her not tight but firmly in a clasic villian with a hostage pose. "So while inefficient at best this hold is common and more difficult to escape than is apparent at first glance though not beyond either of your skill."

Releasing Stesha he turned to Taylor, "Since I seem to distract you I think we'll have you ans Stesha take turns as aggressor and defender," He flashed a Taylor a teasing smile, "If you think you can keep your wits about you enough not to just phase loose."

Stesha turned her head to look up at Ace. "I'm not sure this is a good position," she admitted, "at least not for training. I at least have a pretty good shot at knocking you out with one of the flowers in my hair without anyone noticing, because your head is right there. You'd go to sleep and I could pretend I'd hit you in a pressure point or something. But I might not have my powers sometime," she immediately allowed, "so maybe we should try it this way. What do I need to do?"

"You just want to watch us grab each other," Taylor responded dryly as she stepped up to take Ace's place with a slightly dubious look. At least Stesha wasn't THAT much taller than she was. Trying to grab Ace like this would have just looked silly. "And I wouldn't have phased if you'd just punched me. I was expecting that."

Once she managed the 'ha-ha' got you now! pose, she added in. "Well, if you're grabbed by a very small villian, your flowers won't be right in his face at least."

Ace grinned and winked at the ladies, "Well that is certainly an added bonus but in truth the two of you have similar skill levels both to eachother and most low level criminal types." He placed Steshas hands on Taylors arm before explaining, "Now With that grip if you lean forward and to the side you can achieve a basic hip throw that will leave your opponant both seperated from you and prone giving you an opportunity to flee or regroup as needed." Ace gave a basic example of the motion she should try to mimic as he spoke.

Stesha watched the motion carefully. "Okay... let's see." With her lower lip between her teeth, Stesha put her hands on Taylor's arm, leaned in and forward, and managed a half-credible throw. It didn't go far, but it did put Taylor down on the mat. "I did it!" Stesha exclaimed, pleased. "I think she let me do it, but I did it anyway. What do I do if they're ready for that? It seems like if she just shifted her weight the right way, that would't work."

Ace laughed softly, "Well for the tiem being its more about learning the basic motion. If they know what they are doing they may not be so easily thrown but then again if they know what they are doing they woudl use a more effective hold."

He indicated for Stesha to hold Taylor, "Another option, If you are shorter than your opponant particularly, is to use your head." He lightly pushed Taylors head back to tawrd Steshas face, "It can be enough of a shock to get some one to drop you, but is unlikely to cause real damage unless you hit hard enough to risk hurting yourself as well."

He showed Taylor te basic motion of the throw as well and indicated she shoudl give it a shot, "Learning how to take the throw can also be usefull and not just in this situation. Knowing how to land can be used even if you are overmatched. Try and slap the ground as you hit spread the impact over as much of your body as possible."

Ace dropped loudly to the mat to illustrate his point.

Taylor had to adjust her stance slightly as she was used to trying this on people larger than Stesha for practice. It was rare that she was wrestling someone closer to her weight class.

And how bad a sign is that? She mused as she twisted at the waist and tossed Stesha over her shoulder, trying to follow Ace's actual instructions rather than throw in a similar move.

Stesha made an eeping noise as she left her feet, but she hadn't grown up with three older brothers for nothing. She slapped the ground as she fell and rolled over quickly, brushing aside tendrils of green hair that were already escaping her braid. "That was a good throw," she commented, rubbing her shoulder.

Ace nodded approvingly. "Alright, well it looks like you both have the basics of that, want to give it a few more shots or try something new?" He knew they were unlikely to get the moves down in one session but the idea was to give them something to practice when they did get the time and give them some basic things to work on in thier free time.

"Something new, please." Taylor suggested, feeling confident enough in the hip throw. She glanced at Stesha, "Do you know anything about gun safety? Chances are good that eventually you'll deal with someone whose got a gun. Knowing how to put the safety on or eject the clip can make a huge difference"

Stesha shook her head. "I know which end you're supposed to point at the bad guy, but that's about it. My parents didn't believe in gun ownership." She grinned. "If I got one in a fight, I'd probably just let one of my plants eat it, for safekeeping. Less dangerous for everyone that way. But you're probably right about knowing the basics." She looked over to Ace. "Can you teach us that sort of thing?"

Ace flashed the young ladies a winning smile, "Well I've slowed some but, I could strip and clean my sidearm in under a minute in my day." he said as he moved to the refreshment table to ring a small bell.

Shortly another of his staff arrived and after a moment of quick discussion nodded and left. "Harold will bring a few exemplars for you to practice on but I can show you a few of the basics." explained Ace as he turned back to the girls.

He pointed his index finger in every childs approximation of a pistol to explain, "The safety is a key element, while engaged the weapon will not fire, it is almost always located near the trigger. It does however vary from model to model as to which position is locked. If you have time examination will usually reveal what position will engage the safety."

Harold returned with a cart loaded with a few firearms of assorted size. Ace thanked him and excused him before continueing the demonstration.

"Most firearms you will encounter will be one of three types; Revolver, Magazine, or Single Shot." As he spoke he held an example of each aloft to show the obvious differences. "Revolvers have a catch to release the drum once opened gravity will drop the cartriges for you if you point the weapon upwards."

He set the revolver down and moved on to a double barrel shotgun, "Single shot is more varied but essentially holds one shot prepared for fireing, some like this one break open at the breach some are bolt action. Either way since it is a single shot the most effective and quickest way to unload it is to fire into the ground, never up Newton was right about some things."

"Finally," Ace said hefting a semi automatic pistol, "there is the magazine it will be either internal or external such as this one. Most external will be disengaged by a clip somewhere on the magazine that allows it to drop out. The important thing to remember is that there will be one bullet left in the chamber. that can be fired into the ground or if you are familliar with the model ejected by uncocking the weapon properly." He finished by showing them how to do so on the model he held.

"Internal magazines are rare but you essentialy do the same thing until amunition no longer comes out." He finally explained before gestureing for them to experement for themselves, "None of them are loaded but feel free to familiarize yourself."

• 2 weeks later...

Taylor picked up a gun and automatically checked to see that it wasn't loaded. "Gun saftey 101, you never take anyone else's word that a gun is empty. You treat every gun like it's loaded until you've made certain yourself that it's not. Keep the gun barrel pointed at the floor preferrably, up in the air is your second choice."

Having double checked the gun, she held it out for Stesha and showed her how to check the barrel. "You only ever point a gun at someone if you're willing and ready to point the trigger."

Stesha nodded soberly and took the gun from Taylor, mimicking her motions in checking to make sure it was unloaded. The impulse to pose like a Charlie's Angel and yell "bam, bam, bam!" was surprisingly strong, but with the stern warnings in mind, she prudently refrained. "Most of the villains I've seen or read about have really weird guns that shoot energy or bees or whatever. But I suppose your average mugger is still going to have a regular gun." She reached into her hair and plucked out a flower, opening it wide and dropping the gun inside, then turning the flower over and shaking it back out, just for practice.

"That doesn't seem too hard," she decided. "But how do we get the gun in the first place?"

Ace nodded with a small smile, "Good question." He said before picking up one of the handguns himself, "The best methods use leverage to your advantage."

He proceded to show a few examples of how to twist the gun to prevent them from firing mid disarm. "However really you're better off dropping them then trying to wrestle for the gun. Easiest way to disarm someone is to knock them out first."