To Boldly Go... (IC)

Electra

"I could give you a granola bar and send you back to the beach, and then tape what happens..." Stesha suggested with a laugh. "You would have to change forms, but I could see it working. A whole herd of those little things, jumping right through you as you race down the beach, very exciting! Maybe if we wade through the water a little way, they'll get tired of us and just go home," she offered. Teleporting would solve their problems as well, but it seemed like giving up. Besides, she liked being in the warm water with him, even if her soaked clothes were a little uncomfortable.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Derrick chuckled. "That sounds more like a way for you to be endlessly amused than to support this idea. 'Sides, I'm comfortable right here." He gave her a little squeeze to emphasize the point. "Though if you'd like we can go sit on a blanket instead. We'll just have some furry company until they get bored. I'm not afraid of no dustmop," he said with a 'tough guy' tone which was ruined by the chuckle that followed however.

"You say that now, but wait until you've got one munching on your hair," she teased back, leaning back against him and drawing her legs up so she was floating in his arms. The tide was gradually coming in, raising the water past her waist and driving the fuzzballs higher up on the sand. "I think we can wait them out. If they're so hungry, they'll go back to foraging soon. I can't imagine getting a swarm of those guys in your garden, it would be worse than rabbits." Stesha chuckled, linking her arms around his. "Did you ever have pets?"

Holding her buoyed weight was no trouble, the waves rocking them forward and back. A rather nice situation as far as he was concerned. He nodded, cheek brushing her hair. "My mother was allergic to cats and dogs. Or their dandruff at least. We had a fish tank but that doesn't really count. I vaguely recall having a hamster when I was just a kid. I think I wanted a dog once upon a time. Once I hit high school and college, I was a bit too involved with studying to think about pets." He shrugged. "How about you?"

"Of course," she said with a laugh, "just to complete the chaos. We always had a mutt dog or two running around, and some stray cats that my dad fed so they kept coming around. Eventually we caught them and fixed them and vaccinated them, so they were sort of like ours. When Chloe started college, my mom got a brand new puppy because she said she misses having babies around the house. She has a knack for picking big puppies, though, so it's about the size of a horse now. But with a big house and a big yard, that's okay, just so long as he keeps those big shovel paws out of the garden." She was thoughtful for a minute. "It seems like things were pretty quiet in your house, growing up. That's sort of hard to imagine."

Derrick chuckled, shaking his head slightly in wonder. "It's amazing you could hear the sound of your own thoughts. Crowded, chaotic and busy. I can't imagine anything getting done or staying ordered for long with all of that going on." It was beyond him. How did they get anything done? He would have been forced to practically live at the library if he'd been a child in that household, not that he wasn't there already for a significant part of his childhood.

"I feel the same way. I can't picture growing up in such a pell-mell household. You seem to have handled it rather well though, even thrived perhaps. So why don't you have any pets now? Something to bring a little bit of that craziness back into your life," he said with a wry smile.

"I get plenty of crazy in my life now," she assured him with a chuckle. "But really, my apartment complex doesn't allow pets, and I wouldn't have time for one anyway. I work all day and lots of weekends, and I've been out heroing at night all summer. I would feel bad leaving an animal all cooped up alone with no one to play with. I have all my plants, and I can go down to the dog park and say hello if I start feeling lonely for pets. Maybe someday when I've got a place of my own and a yard of my own, and maybe a little more time at home. I'd like to get a dog someday, one of those bigger ones, like a lab or a golden retriever. They need a lot of room to move."

While they floated in the ever-deeper water, the fuzzballs on the shore apparently decided that it wasn't worth hanging around any longer to see if a meal would be forthcoming. Eventually they wheeled around and bounced back into the trees, sending up little plumes of white sand as they went. "You said you don't use your apartment very much. Where do you go when you're not working?"

He nodded, keeping his feet as best he was able. "I can understand that. Pets require a lot of attention and care I'm heard. I don't think I could take care of one on my schedule either quite honestly. Plus, I wouldn't know the first thing about it."

He paused. "Um...not working? You mean for the SCC? Well, I obviously fly around a lot just being there to help anyone who needs it. I can cover quite a lot of territory that way. I spend time with my sister-in-law and her kids a few hours every week or every other. Oh, I actually took your advice and looked into teaching at a...special school. For the next generation. Um...I occasionally take trips out-system to help various associates or ships or friends or what have you, maybe even get a little exploration and observation in. And of course spend time with you. Think that's about it... I'm never really there except to sleep once in a while to remind myself what it's like." If it hadn't been obvious before, it likely was now. Derrick really didn't exist outside of Stesha's or his sister-in-law's lives. It was all Dark Star. And Dark Star was apparently something of a workaholic when it came to being a superhero.

That sort of lifestyle sounded pretty sad to Stesha, but she didn't actually want to say that out loud. At least he was taking a vacation now, and having a good time like regular people did, and that was nice. She wrapped her arms around his neck as the current started getting stronger, tugging her in towards the shore. "A special school?" she asked curiously, focusing in on that instead. "What's it like?"

Derrick nodded. "It's a school for kids with abilities, whatever the origins. It helps prepare them for the future. And trains the next generation to use hopefully use their powers wisely. Kind of a secret place though, understandably I suppose. Anyway, your advice sounded good so I followed up on it. It was a rather short interveiw but I start my first class at the beginning of the month. Science, mostly astronomy I believe, as well as some lessons on what's actually here. And Ethics. Hopefully it'll work out. I have high hopes for them." Holding her, he took several steps to keep their position in the water, enjoying the evening more than a little.

"Sounds exciting," she said with a smile. "It must be tough to get your powers when you've already got all of adolescence to deal with, though I guess I never really thought about it before. It's nice that there are adults to help them with that. You'd be good at it, you're so calm and thoughtful. Plus, you're actually out there doing the job, being a hero. They've got to respect that. You'll have to tell me stories, when you can. I bet a lot of exciting things go on there." Stesha looked at the water, then at the receding shore. "You know, I'm getting a little concerned that you're going to have to carry me in if we don't go soon," she remarked, not sounding terribly worried. "I won't be able to touch bottom."

He chuckled. "I'll do my best. As for what goes on, I'm not there that often. But I did agree to chaperon certain students on occasion. I'm not exactly skilled at teaching but I can do patient. I'm thinking for the first lesson, I'd do a bit on the solar system. Take them out to various spots in orbit for referencing those lecture points. Hopefully getting amidst the topic will help them retain it."

He chuckled and nodded, as he started slowly pushing his way back to shore. "Indeed. And given that I can't swim that well, perhaps it would be best. Unless you wanted to visit the ocean floor." He paused. "Which I suppose is possible though I would have to transform to do it."

"I think it's a little dark for that," she said, a bit regretfully. "Maybe on our next trip we can try that. Besides, I like it when I can touch you and you can touch me." She hung onto his shoulders until they were back into her depth, then took his hand and walked with him out of the water. "And I think any science class would be way more interesting if you got an actual trip to space along with it. I think any kid would probably give their eyeteeth for an opportunity like that." Their clothes were sopping wet, the flashlights nearly in the water where they'd been left on shore, but at least the dustmops of doom had given up their pursuit.

"Indeed. Best part of my day," he said, hugging her a little and fishing for a little kiss. "Well, hopefully it will help cover for the fact that I have literally no teaching experience." He took her hand as they headed to the beech. He didn't particularly miss the little fuzzy things as cute as they were. It had been an entertaining interlude to their weekend though. "I'm looking forward to it really. Helping another generation and all that goes with it. It'll be a nice change from my normal activities but still be able to help out."

They walked up onto the shore and he picked up their lights. "So, would you like head over to the camp and get some food or head down the beech and keep walking awhile?"

"Back to the camp," she decided, reclaiming her flashlight and turning it back on. She leaned up into the kiss with great enthusiasm, then nearly overbalanced herself when she stepped back. "Hey... I lost one of my flip-flops. That'll be an interesting archaeological relic in a few hundred thousand years." She slipped off her other sandal and held it by the straps, walking comfortably barefoot along the edge of the wet sand.

Taking his hand with her free hand, they headed back towards camp, fingers of dawn just starting to creep over the horizon. "I'm ready for breakfast, and to wash the sand out of my shorts. At least we rinsed the fuzzball slobber off," she joked.

He nodded, enjoying the contact but paused at her words. "Did you loose it in our...withdrawal last night?" It seemed more dignified than 'ran away from fuzzballs' anyway. "Or did you loose it in the water? I suppose I could try to find it, if you wished. If not, when those little fuzzballs are sentient and doing archaeology, it'll be an impossible mystery," he agreed with a wry smile.

He chuckled. "Slobber and sand. Not exactly a great souvenir, is it?" They walked towards camp, hand in hand. "So what would you like for breakfast?"

"Carrot cake," she said immediately, laughing, "but I might settle for a bagel and cream cheese. And I'm pretty sure the sandal is in the water, so it's long gone. I just got them at Target though, it's not a big deal. I sort of like the idea of being a mystery for the ages. And I did get all of those beautiful little rocks and shells yesterday to take home with me. Not to mention a lot of really wonderful memories." She gave him a warm look that suggested she was thinking about creating a few more memories to take with her before they left. "Next time I should bring my camera, though. No one might believe the pictures, but I'd love a shot of the fuzzballs and the big cliffs at sunrise."

Derrick chuckled. It must be her favorite thing on the planet, well planets now, to eat. "I think I might try for an egg sandwich. Just for variety you know," he said smiling. He completely, and not unexpectedly, missed the suggestive looks. "I'm glad you found some keepsakes. And I agree, this has been a wonderful time." He raised an eyebrow. "You forgot your camera? Would you like to get it and take some photos? It's only a few steps to your place after all." Via wormhole of course.

Stesha thought about that for a minute, then shook her head. "No, I don't think so. It feels like when I go back to my apartment, the vacation will be over, even if it's just a couple of steps away. Maybe it's kind of silly, but I'll do without the camera. I want to make the most of the time we have left here." She put her head against his shoulder as they walked, bringing her body close to his. Maybe it was a little weird, but she was starting to get used to how oblivious he seemed sometimes. Maybe he'd just been out of his body too long. She hoped his students wouldn't run roughshod over him because of it. For her part, it just meant doing a little extra work sometimes, and she supposed that was okay. Better than a guy who was hypersensitive all the time. "We have the better part of the day left to us before we have to go. What would you like to do?"

Derrick nodded in understand and gave a small smile. "Perhaps next time we'll have to make sure we bring a camera to record some things. I'm happy enough without it as long as you are." Soon enough they walked into the camp, just as they had left it. "We do have plenty of time left. We'll definitely make the most of it," he said, giving her hand a squeeze kidding the top of her head.

He broke out the hotplate for his egg sandwich as he talked. He could attempt to cook while he talked. Eating wasn't really necessary to eat but it was such 'human' and normal thing to do, it seemed right to indulge. "Well, after breakfast there are plenty of options. We could go swimming, or snorkeling if you prefer. We could take a walk along the beech, or head to the interior. We could hike up those bluffs as well. Or, if you, like we could simply sit in the sun and get a tan or soak up some rays." He didn't particularly understand the appeal of that for most people, but at least for Stesha there was a definite reason.

Stesha went immediately for the cabana, tugging off her wet and sandy clothes as she went. "I'm going to grab a shower first," she told him, "then eat, and then I'm pretty much open to whatever. We've done all the things I want to on this trip so far, you should have a turn to decide." She tied a towel around herself like a sarong for the trip to the shower, then came out and began very carefully untangling her hair from its braid. The suns were starting to rise in earnest now, with just a slight haze in the air to hint at rainy weather later.

Derrick fiddled with the plate and pan, making a passable imitation of an egg sandwich. Two actually, in case she wanted one. It wasn't that bad, decent actually. By the time Stesha was finished her shower, Derrick had actually managed to set the little table. It wasn't much really, but he thought a little formality would be nice. A little candle, a table cloth with some plates. Her carrot cake, some of the other food (including some 'sandwich meats' and cheese he'd brought) and the eggs of course spread out in array of small plates. It was as nice as he could make it given he only had a few minutes. Of course, he'd had to cheat and turn into Dark Star briefly to make it all happen, but it was worth it. If he hadn't been so.........FOCUS...distracted at dinner times on the other nights, he might have done something like this then. But as it was, breakfast was good too.

He'd just managed to change back to Derrick when Stesha returned. He greeted her with a warm smile and small bow. "You're meal awaits."

Stesha's hair was still wet, but she'd taken the time to braid it and decorate it with some of the local flowers before coming out to breakfast. She smiled over all the work he'd done and leaned over to kiss him as she sat down. "It looks great," she told him. "You plan, you pack, you cook, is there anything you can't do well? " Though she was tempted by the carrot cake, it was only polite to eat the food he'd cooked while it was still hot. For eggs cooked on a hot plate, they certainly weren't bad.

Derrick smiled, holding her chair and scooting it in a little for her as she sat. He happily accept the kiss and took his seat right beside her. "Well, I wouldn't ask me to cook anything more complicated than this. This isn't exactly delicious. Passable is the best I can do. I'd have gone for something else but catering out here is somewhat dicey," he said with a grin. Derrick helped himself to a little of everything as he talked. "I'm a horrible writer. I don't generally clean well either. My apartment, even with how little time I spend there is a mess. Umm...think that should cover it," he said with a smile.

"Well, I wanted this weekend to be a memorable one. Not that it hasn't been! I mean, it has been, really. I would trade this for anything. Really. I hadn't planned on ............... you know." He was starting to turn red but pushed on. "But I wanted us to have a great time no matter what we did. Or didn't do. I just put a little effort in to making sure it would be great. Ok, a lot of effort. But the premise still stands."

"I can tell you did. I want you to know how much I appreciate it." She touched his cheek lightly. "It really couldn't have been any more special. I know I nudged you into this trip, a little bit, but I hope you've enjoyed it as much as I have. I've done a lot of amazing things since I got my powers but this, all of this, has definitely been the most exciting and amazing and, well, really wonderful. Moira just has to come back soon, because I really owe her a big thanks." Stesha chuckled, with just an edge of worry in it for absent friends.