To Boldly Go... (IC)

Electra

Derrick nodded, smiling. "Very, very lucky." He bent down for a kiss as they swayed under the stars to the music. "We can do that if you like. Or tomorrow before we leave. Whatever you like." The fact that tomorrow was the end of this little wondrous vacation was not something he wanted to dwell on. Responsibilities aside, he'd love for this to last a good deal longer.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She chuckled, putting a hand on his cheek and kissing him back. "I think I'll probably be too sore if we go back to bed before the sun comes up," she admitted, "so a nice little walk is probably about the right speed. Just let me go put some actual clothes on." She headed back to the tent, her outfit nicely translucent under the lights he'd strung up.

He couldn't help but blush at that one for many reasons. He hadn't meant they should go and do...that. Not that he wouldn't mind. Because ...it was great. Seriously. The image her words, and her silhouette with her practically see through shawl/clothing, provoked in his mind really didn't help matters any. He gulped and did his best resume his normal color. He slipped on a pair of sandals and grabbed one of the portable lights since he couldn't see in the dark at the moment. Of course, he happily watched as she returned, silhouetted once more.

It took a few tries to get the words out but he got there. "...ready?"

She was back in a couple of minutes, the shorts and blue t-shirt she was wearing at least less distracting than what she'd had on earlier. Picking up a flashlight of her own, she took his arm and headed away from the camp with him, turning off the lights there as they went. With those lights turned off, their flashlights and the twin moons and stars provided all the illumination in the entire world. As they walked, she told him about the beach trips she'd taken with her family when she was younger, mostly to lakes up in Wisconsin, but with one memorable excursion to Florida as well. It sounded like a very rowdy time, with six closely spaced children and one large van to carry them all in. She seemed to have a special love-hate relationship with her older brothers, who'd been protective to the point of smothering, and at the same time enjoyed teasing her half to death themselves.

"It's funny to be so far away," she told him, "not here, but back on Earth. I miss everyone like crazy, but at the same time, I never could've done all the things I've done this summer if I were still near them. I would never have had the guts to get out on my own and try all these new things. It's like I'm finally getting a chance to be an adult, and I like it."

He smiled as they walked through the dark forests, listening to her tell stories. "You obviously love them, even if you didn't love their antics. I can't imagine what it would be like growing up like that. How you could get anything done or any time just for yourself? Sounds rather hectic to me." He shook his head in wonder. It was decidedly different from his own childhood. "Well, that is how it is for most things. Eventually the children grow up and move out. They stretch themselves and stand on their own." He smiled at her. "Though I'm glad you're finally feeling like you're an adult. This weekend would be very awkward otherwise," he said with a chuckle and a blush.

Stesha laughed, wrinkling her nose. "Eww, Derrick, not like that," she protested, giving him a light punch in the arm. "Though if any of my brothers were around, they'd already have done their best to intimidate you, just from force of habit, I think. Which is another really good advantage to dating a superhero, now that I think about it," she added brightly. "There's no possible way they could worry you, no matter what they try and pull. I mean, if they meet you eventually, which might happen, at, you know, Christmastime or something, sometime in the future." It was her turn to be flustered now, wondering if she was introducing the specter of family meeting way too early.

He chuckled. "I would have thought that they'd have grown out of that now that you're an adult an all. Though I suppose I'm not that intimidating in appearance that they might feel like it would work. Astrophysicists are not generally known for their stalwart bravery after all," he said with a little chuckle, continued by her own stumbling. "I'd like to meet them, never fear. They are very important to you, a major part of your life. I'll weather any tomfoolery with good grace, I promise," he said with a smile. "I'd offer to reciprocate but... I'm not sure how my sister-in-law would take that." She was his only family left. He gave a shrug, not willing to dwell on it at the moment. "Well, Christmas or whenever, I'll be there when you want."

"I'd love to take you with me, but I'm worried about telling my folks everything I've been doing this year," she admitted. "I hate lying to them already, but I'm doing it because I don't want them to be scared or worried about me, or try to stop me from doing hero work. If I take you with me for Christmas, it means I either have to find a way to tell them everything, or ask you to lie to them as well. I don't think it's fair to do that to you, or to them. I really think they'll like you."

Derrick shook his head. "Stesha, I don't lie. I just don't believe in doing it. Admittedly that come from my code of ethics being a hero, but it applies to me no matter what. However, not telling them everything is perfectly fine. Telling people, even loved ones, what we really do is very risky. I can't blame you for not telling them I doubt I would have told anyone either, given the choice. As for what I do, I'll answer honestly. I'll simply say I'm an astrophysicist and that I do consulting working for the SCC on multiple projects." He smiled. "All true statements. I suppose I could elaborate on the project some if necessary. I might not enjoy the deception but I understand why it is necessary. Meeting them should be enjoyable, not something you should worry over."

"They won't let it go at that," Stesha told him with a sigh. "Especially not my brothers. But I'll figure something out," she told him, deciding it would be silly to waste the evening worrying months into the future. "Family is complicated, but you just have to know how to deal with them. And if I do just woman up and tell them what I've been doing, assuming they don't flip out big-time, I can go visit a lot more often, and my mom will stop bugging me to quit dyeing my hair green," she added cheerfully. She turned her attention from him as a few faint noises sounded in the trees. "Hey, did that sound like barking to you?"

Derrick chuckled. "Somehow I doubt they have clearance to know more. But I shall defer to your expertise." He smiled. "Parent's are the same the world over. They need something to focus on." He titled his head and listened at her words.

"I do believe so. This is much harder without my powers I'll admit." He kept the light held high, trying to see where the sounds originated from. He was doing his best to not stumble over the branches and the like a forest accumulated, mostly succeeding. At the edge of the light, something brown and furry about the size of a soccer ball quickly rolled by.

"Look!" Stesha whispered excitedly, darting forward into the woods. "I see them!" Still keeping hold of his hand, she followed the puffball through the trees, dodging around branches and stepping over roots. The barking got louder the further they went, and the woods darker, till their flashlights provided the only light at all. Stesha dropped back at little to stay close to Derrick. "You said they didn't have any teeth right?" she asked.

They quickly pursued the little furry thing through the darkened woods. The little ball rolled out of sight and the barking suddenly went silent as they stopped.

Derrick nodded. "More like some kind of thick gum/bone. Fore mashing roots and insects I suppose. The size of the mouth is somewhat oversized though. I couldn't fathom a reason as to why."

Just then, there was a sudden furry flurry of motion as over a half-dozen furry balls rolled quickly forward and flung themselves at the two people! Before they could take more than a step, very large mouths clamped down on their legs...to no effect whatsoever besides a little slobber. Derrick looked down the the creatures on his legs with a raised eyebrow. "Odd little things aren't they?"

After a moment, the little furry things stopped their attempt and 'sat' looking up, puzzled. Now that they were still, they could see two eyes amidst the mass of fur.

Stesha yelped at the bites before she realized it didn't actually hurt, then looked down with great curiosity at the strange furballs gumming her bare legs. She laughed. "They're so strange, like little toys. They must not have any predators here. They don't seem afraid at all. Maybe a little aggressive." Reaching down, she scooped one up, keeping her fingers out of the way of the oversized mouth. "Hello," she told it in a cooing voice, like she were speaking to a puppy. "You're a cute little guy. Or girl. Can you be nice?"

Derrick chuckled as the little things rolled and/or 'waddled' on their two little feet around the pair. The feet actually had little 'grippers', probably allowing them to climb up, which might sting a bit. But beyond that, these little things were completely harmless. "Cute and yeah, aggressive if ineffectual. Perhaps its like how some shorter individuals make up for it by being combative?"

In her hand, the little fuzzball went from aggressive to curious, 'sniffing' (though without a visible nose) and licking, searching for food.

Stesha turned her head and grinned up at him. "Who you calling combative?" she asked teasingly. Digging into her pocket, she pulled out a granola bar and unwrapped it, offering it to the creature on the flat of her hand. It sniffed at the offering, then snapped it up with a clack of its toothless maw, spraying a few crumbs as it masticated the treat. Stesha laughed, then offered the creature to Derrick. "Here, you hold him. He's soft."

Derrick 'flinched' with a smile as granola bits flew everywhere. The others, waiting below, suddenly went nuts. Barking, bounding almost two feet up and rolling around like hyperactive furballs on speed, Stesha was the focus of their hungry attention. Sounding like a horde of deeper sounding small dogs, they had gone from quite and curious to loud and hyper in a moment.

Derrick just grinned. "No thanks. I think they like you."

Stesha yelped and laughed at the same time, stumbling backwards into Derrick and using him as a brace against the attack of fuzzballs. "Oooh, maybe that was a bad idea," she giggled, setting down the one she was holding, which immediately joined the throng. "Maybe we better beat a strategic retreat before we get gummed to death. My legs are already covered in slobber." Taking his hand, she began withdrawing from the horde, pursued by bouncing, hungry, barking fuzzballs.

Derrick just kept chuckling. He righted her gently. "I would say so," he asked asmused as they were surrounding by yapping mobile fuzzballs. He chuckled as they tried to make their way away from the small horde. "Well, there is this large body of water you can wade in. Think it might be the only place that's...safe? from them. At least, I don't think they can swim," he said, unsure. Even as they walked away, the little horde of bouncing/rolling creatures moved along with them, practically underfoot.

"In a pinch, I suppose we could teleport away," she agreed, "but I like your idea better. Back in the water!" They hurried out of the woods and back onto the beach in one madly yapping throng, the occasional bold fuzzball managing to leap as high as Stesha's chest before tumbling back to the ground. About half the group stayed behind on the edge of the woods, but the rest rolled right onto the beach with them. Kicking off her shoes, Stesha ran straight into the water, then hurled the rest of the granola bar back towards the woods. "There it is," she called, "go get it!" Still chortling, she waded out with Derrick into hip-deep water, leaving the last of the fuzzballs barking impotently in the shallows. "Well, that was fun," she laughed, hanging onto his shoulders as the waves rocked them.

Splashing into the water, it seemed the little creatures stopped pursuing being more focused on the free food. Hopefully that would keep them busy, though given the proximity, it likely was temporary. Derrick grinned, looked over at Stesha. "You know. I've faced super villains, alien battle fleets and space creatures all without hesitation or retreat. I'm not sure but I think we just ran away from a bunch of glorified dustmops. Should I be ashamed," he asked jokingly.

"Discretion is the better part of valor," she told him sagely, laughter still coloring her voice. "Besides, you couldn't blast them, it would be too mean. Like... I don't know, like kicking really angry little puppies. And don't worry, your secret is safe with me," she added jokingly.

"Anyway, being back in the water is fine with me, even if my clothes are getting all wet. It's a nice night, and the water is warm. And I think you're right about them not being able to swim." She leaned against him comfortably, looking back at the melee on the beach. "I almost feel like I should go get the rest of the granola bars, but I have a feeling that would only cause more problems."

Derrick laughed lightly. "Indeed. That's all I need. Villains coming after me with dustmops thinking it's my weakness. Very disconcerting and just a little embarrassing," he said with a laugh. He nodded, sliding behind her and wrapping his arms around her, just enjoying being there with her. "It is nice." Over on the beach a rather pathetic whining sound was heard, several creatures waiting on the edge of beach fidgeting and waiting for more handouts. "Your followers have returned it seems," he said with a chuckle, kissing her cheek. "And no, we can't take any home if that's what you were thinking."

"Aww, not even one?" she wheedled jokingly, leaning into his embrace and putting her hands over his. "I suppose I do know better than to try and adopt a wild animal, let alone one from an entirely different planet. If they get like this over a granola bar, imagine what would happen if one saw a cupcake. They kind of remind me of the ducks at the pond near my house. You could sit on the bank and watch them, and they'd pay no attention to you, but if you threw them some bread, they'd practically eat your toes trying to get more out of you."

Stesha was quiet for a minute, thinking. "But I think you should cultivate the image of being weak to dustmops," she told him mock-seriously. "The villain would come after you with a dustmop, he'd try and smack you with it, and just when he thought he was winning, you knock him around the block. I think it could work."

Derrick smiled, holding her against him. "Indeed. Image if we'd gone in the during the day and encountered more of them. They have surrounded our camp like a small army. A tiny, fluffy and ineffectual but loud army." He grinned at the idea of a horde of these little things waiting for them at the beach and suddenly going nuts at the appearance off food. They weren''t near as dangerous as ducks.

"And exactly how would I cultivate that? I don't think I've encountered a mop in any battle I've been in yet. I don't think it will work, as weirdly entertaining as it seems," he said with a chuckle.