First Class - New Teacher at School (IC)

Cyroa

"Sweet!" was all JJ said excitedly... In fact he positivity glowed with excitement. This was totally going to be the best class for the year, JJ knew it. Beside's his illuminated appearance JJ said nothing as he double checked that he had everything and waited quietly for 'take of.'

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike was a little startled by the news but definately excited. they got to go into space? And without even getting a permission slip this was awesome. "Understood Sir." Mike said assuming the warning was directed primarily at him he didn't know of any others among these students who could handle hard vacume.

Alex bounced on the tips of her sneakers with ill concealed eagerness and reached out for Mike's arm. 'This is going to be soooo cool! She bubbled at him accross their link. After how hard she'd worked to be able to fly on her own power, there was little doubt that spaceflight was something that Alex had long dreamed of.

"I gotcha." Eddie usually wasn't one for all out respect in terms of teachers. His past experiences with Duncan Summers revealed that much at least. But in Dark Star's case, he found it hard not to respect him. Although that could have something to do with the fact that he had known Dark Star before they met in the class room. He just hadn't told anyone about that part...

Dark Star nodded and a small bubble surrounded the students. Standing in the center, he slowly moved upwards, the students and the bubble moving with them. After a moment to allow the students to adjust, they suddenly shot upwards, breaching the atmosphere withing seconds. The Earth a massive blue ball below them, he slowed to a stop in high orbit, a hundred or so miles above the planet.

He looked at the student. "Before we start, I'll allow you a few moments to play in zero gravity. I've been told that it's quite fun. Do not try to breach the barrier. It is solid, but some of you could pforce your way through if you try. Just think of it as a wall and you'll be fine." He focused, letting the protective shield expand to it's full range. "Feel free to bounce around in zero gravity. I believe you'll be getting physics lessons, from another teacher I think. Dr. Hallivard perhaps. You'll likely be returning to a zero gravity field somewhere in there. But, take a few minutes to enjoy yourselves and then I'll continue with the lesson."

'Yea it shold be pretty neat,' he replied to Alex, 'I got into orbit once or twice but not any further really.' He was trying to hide his enthusiasm for this fairly momentous opportunity but Alex knew him well enough not to buy his line completely and as they accelerated to Dark Stars full speed to breach the atmosphere Mike was as excited as any of the other students if not moreso. He really did love flying.

While the others played around with weightlessness Mike scooted over to a free corner of the bubble and watched thier antics with a fond smile.

Like Mike, Eddie was used to being able to fly... The zero gravity thing was not really anything new to him. The breathing in space, however, was. He simply sat near the upper edge of the bubble and gazed out at the stars that were just beginning to peek through the atmosphere. "Cool..." if there was one thing Eddie knew it was when something was too beautiful for words. He couldn't wait to get further out...

Alex laughed with delight as her hair started to float up. Rather than fly, which would have been easier, she kicked over to Mike and prodded him as she started a steady stream of rather one sided conversation about the difference between human propulsion while under the effects of gravity versus the lighter forces out in space.

Alex pulled a few coins out of her pockets and sent them spinning with a touch of tk to illustrate her thoughts.

JJ was quite excited, Sure he could fly pretty fast when he was nothing but coherent ball's of light, but physical sensation was non-existent. Being able to feel yourself flying was another matter all together.

What really got JJ however was the view, it was breathtaking. "Ah sir, Mind you if I go Boomer?" JJ asked, "I promise I wont leave the bubble, It's just while I'm a swarm of light's I can see ever ware at once." JJ quickly added as he floated around.

In all honesty he wasn't sure he particularity liked Zero-gravity It made him feel nauseous and out of control, at least in his Boomer form he could stabilize himself.

Ok, James had to admit. This zero-g thing was pretty cool. He happily bounced around the large sphere, spinning around weightless. He really needed to find a way to do this one again. Sure, the view of the Earth was pretty kicking too but it was just there. He'd taken a good look, but the pull of fun made sure it was a short look. He noted everyone else's reaction of course. If there were out here longer a little longer, he'd bounce on over.

Dark Star watched them play with a hidden smile. It was good for them really. He turned to JJ. "Of course, as long as it does not interfere with the other students, I see no reason why not."

He let them bounce around and get used the new sensations for a few moment. If someone didn't take well to it, he was happy to provide some gravity for them. "Attention class. I'll give you five more minutes and then we'll resume the lesson." No sense on cutting their fun short too soon but there was still much to see and learn.

"Cool thanks." Jadon say's as he begin's to glow brighter before a quick flash of light and all that remained of him was a swarm of glowing lights. The swarm quickly adjusted itself to the zero-gravity. "This is so cool! It's a pity you all can't see everything at the same time, you wouldn't think it, but it's even more amazing." JJ's disjointed voice.

• 2 weeks later...

Dark Star pulled all the students back and began a brief lecture on near Earth objects and spatial relations. As he talked, they slowly flew away from Earth. Then with a blink, they jumped forward, surpassing lightspeed by several hundred factors. They came to a rest is a hazy cloud at the extreme edge of the solar system, Sol and Earth just little dots behind them, as he began to give a brief talk on Oort Clouds.

JJ stay's in his swirling light form, as Dark star begin's showing the class stuff. JJ was definitely having fun, He'd alway's loved space. In fact JJ was having so much fun looking at everything he failed to notice the brief electrical discharge between several of his plasmoids.

As they reached the Oort clouds, JJ returned to his human form. Being able to see every ware was handy, but it made focusing on a single item a bit more challenging.

Mike looked around in awe at the splendor layed out before them. He tried hard to listen to Dark Stars lecture but it was hard to pay attention to anything else with all the wonders he was showing them.

He turned to Alex and said, "Just think a year ago we needed forms in triplicate just to leave the city."

James had to admit. This was probably one of the cooler things he'd ever pictured. He wasn't really paying attention to the lecture of course. He'd always wanted to fly...but this was so far beyond that. But damn...it was impressive. He could picture all sorts of fun things he could do with a power like this. James bet Dark Star could use this to seriously woo the ladies...

Dark Star gave them a few moments for questions but honestly he expected few, outside of Psyche of course. This was really to give them a meaningful reference for the future lessons. And to have a little fun of course. Eventually, they flicked forward once more jumping past lightspeed for just a moment. They came to a rest just about Saturn's rings, looking down on the belt, the gas giant as well as a few of it's moons. He let them look for a moment before beginning the introductory lecture on the local phenomenon.

"Said it once, I'll say it again. Best class ever, man!"

Eddie floated first to the side of the bubble which was closest to the rings of Saturn, as that was the intended spectacle for this location, but he quickly moved on to other portions of the view as well. Even the spectacle of Mike and Alex holding hands didn't slip by him. Alright Mike, alright...

JJ floated about, back in human form. He'd alway's imagined space was beautiful but words really couldn't explain just how beautiful it really was.

As the arrived at Saturn JJ watched and listened in silent's as Dark star began his lecture. JJ silently wished he'd brought his video camera...

• 3 weeks later...

Dark Star looked over at one of the student's watches and noted the time. He took a few more minutes to wrap up the lecture on gas giants before starting them on a 'slow/leisurely' flight back to Earth (ie it took a couple minutes instead of seconds). He brought them slowly down to land in the center of the quad with a full minute to spare before the end of his class time.

"Well class, I hope you enjoyed your first lesson. Hopefully the 'hands on' learning will help you retain and absorb the materials better. We'll be expanding on this over the next few weeks before we start on asteroid and comets. No homework. It is only the first class after all. Have a good day everyone. Class dismissed."

Mike walked up to Dark Star as the class dispersed, "That was an amazing trip, Sir." He said, "Thank you." He paused for a few moments before adding, "I also wanted to thank you again for your talk the other day its put alot of things in perspective." Then with a nervous wave he turned back to rejoin his friends and fellow students as they expounded on the amazing journey they had just returned from.