Merry Christmas from the Freedom League!

Barnum

llsmall.jpg

He smiled at the others gathered.

"Um, hi everyone. I'm... Raindance." He finished lamely, knowing that the others had probably already overheard the famous heroine say his name.

"Raindance just recently helped the League save the city from a serious threat," Lady Liberty quickly added to help alleviate the awkwardness. "What are you working on now?" she asked. The question was meant to give the young hero a chance to work himself into the conversation.

He looks over to Lady Liberty and smiles mischievously.

"You seem to be getting a lot of attention, Lady Liberty. If you need a break from all your admirers, I could always become your twin."

"Wouldn't two of me be worse?" Lady Liberty asked, returning the wink. "Besides, getting the kind of attention that doesn't involve death rays or giant robots . . . isn't a bad thing. It's a refreshing change."

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

llsmall.jpg

He smiled at the others gathered.

"Um, hi everyone. I'm... Raindance." He finished lamely, knowing that the others had probably already overheard the famous heroine say his name.

"Raindance just recently helped the League save the city from a serious threat," Lady Liberty quickly added to help alleviate the awkwardness. "What are you working on now?" she asked. The question was meant to give the young hero a chance to work himself into the conversation.

He looks over to Lady Liberty and smiles mischievously.

"You seem to be getting a lot of attention, Lady Liberty. If you need a break from all your admirers, I could always become your twin."

"Wouldn't two of me be worse?" Lady Liberty asked, returning the wink. "Besides, getting the kind of attention that doesn't involve death rays or giant robots . . . isn't a bad thing. It's a refreshing change."

"We're, um... following up the robots. Looks like whoever released the mummy on Halloween made a whole lot more. Me and the other people I'm working with... we're trying to stop them."

"We're, um... following up the robots. Looks like whoever released the mummy on Halloween made a whole lot more. Me and the other people I'm working with... we're trying to stop them."

Captain Thunder looks up at the stage - he's proud. Even though it's his adopted home, he's spent so long protecting this city and it's citizens that it's almost as if, well, that they were an extension of his very family. When people succeed, he feels happy for them, when they mess up, he's disappointed - as if he's known them his whole life. It's a feeling that had become increasingly present over the last few years. He nods, "Yes, Freedom City does produce some exceptional musicians. We have a great art scene in this city - I can imagine that much the same could be said of your Utopia Isles?"

He nods "It is a much venerated pursuit. I have a personal fondness for the Chamber of Focative Mirrors crafted by Councillor Huntyr. It is... hm. You know, I do not think I can actually describe it. It.. crafts a sense beyond the existing, so as to add to the level it effects a viewer on, and different for each. I found it highly moving though."

"My society strives always to follow pursuits that uplift the spirit, mind and body. We do not particularly truck in money, but it is my hope to eventually arrange regardless some form of offered scholarships and awarding of grants for the artistically inclined of this city on behalf of my people. My own way of doing my part for encouraging the like here, and a way besides of giving thanks for that which this city has already shared with me."

Captain Thunder looks up at the stage - he's proud. Even though it's his adopted home, he's spent so long protecting this city and it's citizens that it's almost as if, well, that they were an extension of his very family. When people succeed, he feels happy for them, when they mess up, he's disappointed - as if he's known them his whole life. It's a feeling that had become increasingly present over the last few years. He nods, "Yes, Freedom City does produce some exceptional musicians. We have a great art scene in this city - I can imagine that much the same could be said of your Utopia Isles?"

He nods "It is a much venerated pursuit. I have a personal fondness for the Chamber of Focative Mirrors crafted by Councillor Huntyr. It is... hm. You know, I do not think I can actually describe it. It.. crafts a sense beyond the existing, so as to add to the level it effects a viewer on, and different for each. I found it highly moving though."

"My society strives always to follow pursuits that uplift the spirit, mind and body. We do not particularly truck in money, but it is my hope to eventually arrange regardless some form of offered scholarships and awarding of grants for the artistically inclined of this city on behalf of my people. My own way of doing my part for encouraging the like here, and a way besides of giving thanks for that which this city has already shared with me."

captainthunder-1.jpg

"Anything to help bring our peoples together." It was a sincere statement - in a world where there were hundreds of sentient races on this planet alone, working together is the only way to escape total destruction.

Captain Thunder didn't have a chance to continue, as he was acosted by one of the caterers who whispered something in his ear, "Oh right, thanks." He turns to his silver friend, "Excuse me one moment, will you?"

Captain Thunder makes his way up to the stage where Teke and High Note have been astonishing everyone in the room. He moves up to the podium and taps it, sending ear piercing feedback scross the room; a man with giant ears in the back corner grimaces. "Apologies for that." He straightens up, going into stateman mode, "Ladies and gentlemen, Teke..." he indicates to the guitarist on the stage, "...and High Note.", indicating the young man standing with Lady Liberty. He begins to applaud, the crowd joining in. Once the applause has died down, he continues, "It's rather a good thing that I can draw your attention to these two fine young heroes. There's been a lot of change in the last year, and it's what I'm going to be talking about in my Christmas address."

He does these every year; he gets up there and talks to the people, debriefing the year gone.

"I'm sure many of you are aware of the trials that the Freedom League has gone through in the past 12 months; most members of the League are away on such trials as we're here tonight, and they're in our hearts and minds. Throughout the course of this year..." he leaves the podium and begins to walk to the front of the stage, his voice carries just as easily as it had before, "... as a city, we've had to deal with threats both internal and external - the disappearance of the Atom Family," he raises his glass to the Atoms, long since returned and sharing a drink in the centre of the room, "the many and varied assaults of old foes like Dr. Simian, Black Star, and even the apperance of Overshadow himself. And, of course, no-one could forget the attack in July by the, well, I'm not going to mention his name, but I think you all know who I'm talking about..." the room collectively squelches up their face, remembering that terrible July day and the month of cleaning afterwards, "It's been a tough year, and yet, we're here to remember it. The mere fact that we're here to remember all the tough times is in itself a boon. We all deserve high praise for doing what we do and helping those that we love. I look around this room and I see my fellow Leaguers, Lady Libery and Pseudo who have been instrumental in keeping this city and the world at large safe from those that would do it harm. The Freedom League is always there to help," he looks squarely at his teammates, "and I will always love them for it." He returns his gaze to the room as a whole, "This year has also seen the resurgence of something else," he moves over to Teke whos is still on stage, and puts his hand on the young man's shoulder, "the instances of a younger generation of heroes who're willing to take on the responsibility to do what they can for those that they care about. I would like to draw your attention to an event that happened a few months back, at Halloween - Freedom City was attacked and not one member of the Freedom League was able to intervene. This city was kept safe by the efforts of those who will lead this city and it's people in the next generation. A few are here tonight, Velocity," his hand extends outwards, and a light suddenly falls on the young hero, "Raindance", he does the same and Raindance is suddenly bathed in white light, "and our new friend from Utopia Isles, The Emissary." who is now also singled out. "If you get a chance tonight, I want you all to congratulate these fine heroes. More than us old timers, they represent what Freedom City is all about, and you don't have to go further than the city's name to work out what that is." He smiles. "In fact, as you make your way around the room tonight, if you see a face you don't know, introduce yourself, you may just be talking to a future comrade - perhaps you will be working together in the Freedom League? Last year was the year to remember lost friends, so lets make this year the year of new beginnings. Thank-you for your time, and have a fantastic holiday."

He doesn't wait for the applause, stepping down from the stage and back into the crowd, greeting a few old friends waiting for him at the bottom, including his wife who it seemed did make it after all. They embrace warmly as old friends and life-long companions should, then he walks slowly with her to the dance floor, wondering what the wonderful musicians of the night would play next.

captainthunder-1.jpg

"Anything to help bring our peoples together." It was a sincere statement - in a world where there were hundreds of sentient races on this planet alone, working together is the only way to escape total destruction.

Captain Thunder didn't have a chance to continue, as he was acosted by one of the caterers who whispered something in his ear, "Oh right, thanks." He turns to his silver friend, "Excuse me one moment, will you?"

Captain Thunder makes his way up to the stage where Teke and High Note have been astonishing everyone in the room. He moves up to the podium and taps it, sending ear piercing feedback scross the room; a man with giant ears in the back corner grimaces. "Apologies for that." He straightens up, going into stateman mode, "Ladies and gentlemen, Teke..." he indicates to the guitarist on the stage, "...and High Note.", indicating the young man standing with Lady Liberty. He begins to applaud, the crowd joining in. Once the applause has died down, he continues, "It's rather a good thing that I can draw your attention to these two fine young heroes. There's been a lot of change in the last year, and it's what I'm going to be talking about in my Christmas address."

He does these every year; he gets up there and talks to the people, debriefing the year gone.

"I'm sure many of you are aware of the trials that the Freedom League has gone through in the past 12 months; most members of the League are away on such trials as we're here tonight, and they're in our hearts and minds. Throughout the course of this year..." he leaves the podium and begins to walk to the front of the stage, his voice carries just as easily as it had before, "... as a city, we've had to deal with threats both internal and external - the disappearance of the Atom Family," he raises his glass to the Atoms, long since returned and sharing a drink in the centre of the room, "the many and varied assaults of old foes like Dr. Simian, Black Star, and even the apperance of Overshadow himself. And, of course, no-one could forget the attack in July by the, well, I'm not going to mention his name, but I think you all know who I'm talking about..." the room collectively squelches up their face, remembering that terrible July day and the month of cleaning afterwards, "It's been a tough year, and yet, we're here to remember it. The mere fact that we're here to remember all the tough times is in itself a boon. We all deserve high praise for doing what we do and helping those that we love. I look around this room and I see my fellow Leaguers, Lady Libery and Pseudo who have been instrumental in keeping this city and the world at large safe from those that would do it harm. The Freedom League is always there to help," he looks squarely at his teammates, "and I will always love them for it." He returns his gaze to the room as a whole, "This year has also seen the resurgence of something else," he moves over to Teke whos is still on stage, and puts his hand on the young man's shoulder, "the instances of a younger generation of heroes who're willing to take on the responsibility to do what they can for those that they care about. I would like to draw your attention to an event that happened a few months back, at Halloween - Freedom City was attacked and not one member of the Freedom League was able to intervene. This city was kept safe by the efforts of those who will lead this city and it's people in the next generation. A few are here tonight, Velocity," his hand extends outwards, and a light suddenly falls on the young hero, "Raindance", he does the same and Raindance is suddenly bathed in white light, "and our new friend from Utopia Isles, The Emissary." who is now also singled out. "If you get a chance tonight, I want you all to congratulate these fine heroes. More than us old timers, they represent what Freedom City is all about, and you don't have to go further than the city's name to work out what that is." He smiles. "In fact, as you make your way around the room tonight, if you see a face you don't know, introduce yourself, you may just be talking to a future comrade - perhaps you will be working together in the Freedom League? Last year was the year to remember lost friends, so lets make this year the year of new beginnings. Thank-you for your time, and have a fantastic holiday."

He doesn't wait for the applause, stepping down from the stage and back into the crowd, greeting a few old friends waiting for him at the bottom, including his wife who it seemed did make it after all. They embrace warmly as old friends and life-long companions should, then he walks slowly with her to the dance floor, wondering what the wonderful musicians of the night would play next.

captainthunder-1.jpg

llsmall.jpg

Lady Liberty listened intently as Raindance described their efforts so far. She knew Daedalus was following up on the missions and keeping a close eye on their efforts, but Raindance and the others had worked hard on this and put their lives on the line for the city. He deserved a chance to brag a little.

"You make it sound easy," she said with a twinkle in her eye. "From what I hear there were giant robot mummies, flying robot bats, mechanical werewolves. You guys made pretty short work of them from what Daedalus tells me. Impressive."

llsmall.jpg

Lady Liberty listened intently as Raindance described their efforts so far. She knew Daedalus was following up on the missions and keeping a close eye on their efforts, but Raindance and the others had worked hard on this and put their lives on the line for the city. He deserved a chance to brag a little.

"You make it sound easy," she said with a twinkle in her eye. "From what I hear there were giant robot mummies, flying robot bats, mechanical werewolves. You guys made pretty short work of them from what Daedalus tells me. Impressive."

llsmall.jpg

Velocity was talking with Shinken when the music started to play. She had to admit that they were both very talented singers and musicians.

When Captain Thunder went up to speak, the attractive speedster focused all her attention on him as he delivered his speech. When he mentioned her, and the spotlight shifted over to her, she kept a steady smile. Though much of what she had done over the last two years as Velocity had been more minor, she was very assertive in her life in general, and was not afraid of recognition.

At the end of the Captain’s speech, she clapped along with many of the others.

Velocity was talking with Shinken when the music started to play. She had to admit that they were both very talented singers and musicians.

When Captain Thunder went up to speak, the attractive speedster focused all her attention on him as he delivered his speech. When he mentioned her, and the spotlight shifted over to her, she kept a steady smile. Though much of what she had done over the last two years as Velocity had been more minor, she was very assertive in her life in general, and was not afraid of recognition.

llsmall.jpg

"You got to help with that? That's awesome. I missed that one, we were having dress rehearsal. Well, I say we, I mean I was in the theater just belting it out, cause I tend to annoy people who are studying if I sing in my room. First I heard of it was the news saying it was under control. Not that I could have gotten there in time anyway. I can't drive. Or fly. Or run fast. But I can sing. And in the long run, I thinks that more fun. Plus I don't have to worry. I mean, if I lost concentration while singing all that would happen is I'd forget my line. Losing concentration while flying, ergh. I don't even want to think about that. But I'm rambling again. Nice to meet you. I'm High Note. Gordy offers his hand toward Radiance, a symbol of friendly greeting.

llsmall.jpg

"You got to help with that? That's awesome. I missed that one, we were having dress rehearsal. Well, I say we, I mean I was in the theater just belting it out, cause I tend to annoy people who are studying if I sing in my room. First I heard of it was the news saying it was under control. Not that I could have gotten there in time anyway. I can't drive. Or fly. Or run fast. But I can sing. And in the long run, I thinks that more fun. Plus I don't have to worry. I mean, if I lost concentration while singing all that would happen is I'd forget my line. Losing concentration while flying, ergh. I don't even want to think about that. But I'm rambling again. Nice to meet you. I'm High Note. Gordy offers his hand toward Radiance, a symbol of friendly greeting.

llsmall.jpg

For a moment, Raindance appears to be a rabbit caught in the headlights when attention focuses on him.

"Really, it was no big deal. I just did what anyone would have done, you know, with my powers, in that situation, to... protect... people." He sighed. "Sorry, that sentence kind of got away from me there. It's nice to meet you, High Note. That's some impressive talent you've got there, the best I can manage is singing in the shower.

For a moment, Raindance appears to be a rabbit caught in the headlights when attention focuses on him.

"Really, it was no big deal. I just did what anyone would have done, you know, with my powers, in that situation, to... protect... people." He sighed. "Sorry, that sentence kind of got away from me there. It's nice to meet you, High Note. That's some impressive talent you've got there, the best I can manage is singing in the shower.

Pseudo shrugs when High Note explains where he was on Halloween. "That's still better than my excuse. I was taking advantage of being able to make the best disguises in the city and go out trick-or-treating. I saved one child from getting hid by a car, though, so I'd say it was worth it. There were no casualties from the robot attacks, were there?" he asks Raindance. He sounds like he's fairly certain that there weren't, but wants confirmation.

Pseudo shrugs when High Note explains where he was on Halloween. "That's still better than my excuse. I was taking advantage of being able to make the best disguises in the city and go out trick-or-treating. I saved one child from getting hid by a car, though, so I'd say it was worth it. There were no casualties from the robot attacks, were there?" he asks Raindance. He sounds like he's fairly certain that there weren't, but wants confirmation.