Withstand Damage Feat from Mecha&Manga

Master_Pelle

I have looked at the Withstand Damage feat from Mecha & Manga and I think it is quit useful if you face opponents who can hit real hard. But problem with it you must lower your Defense to increase your Toughness save, Defense cost 2 per ranks (unless you take Shield or Dodge Focus) while Toughness cost 1 per ranks. So this feat is more suited for real tough character who want to become even more tougher.

What do you think about this feat? Can it become game breaking?

After some thinking, I find another weakness of Withstand Damage. If you lower your defense with Withstand Damage, it is higher risk to get hit by other powers that target Fortitude, Reflex and Will.

So for a example: Tough Guy use Withstand Damage to increase his toughness to max while lower his defense. Captain Nasty used his Strike powers that are linked with Paralyze. Even Tough Guy can resist the damage, he will be easily get paralyze because it is easier to hit him now.

When you are the target of an attack, you can take a penalty of up to –5 on your dodge defense bonus and add the same number (up to +5) to your Toughness save bonus. Your Defense bonus cannot be reduced below +0, and your Toughness bonus cannot more than double. If you reduce your dodge bonus to +0, you are considered flat-footed, and all attacks made against you are considered surprise attacks, even if you have Uncanny Dodge. You can declare this change as a free action or as a reaction, but only once in a turn and before your opponent makes his attack roll; the new values remain until the beginning of your next turn.

I think you guys are misunderstanding. You can only take 5 away. And only dodge bonus. And if that puts you at 0 dodge, you're uber-flat-footed. And you can only do it once a turn.

I think you guys are misunderstanding. You can only take 5 away. And only dodge bonus. And if that puts you at 0 dodge, you're uber-flat-footed. And you can only do it once a turn.

And if you're already adjusted to +5 Toughness/-5 Defense, a PL 10 char who normally has Defense 5 & Toughness +15 could have Defense 0 & Toughness +20. Yes, he'd be flat-footed, but almost nothing could damage him.

You're arguing details, Sandman. The point is that this feat would allow characters who are already max-shifted in favor of Toughness over Defense to shift even further. I think we can all agree that +3/+17 PL10s are a bad idea. +0/+20s are even worse.

This feat is broken, and we should not use it here.

True the Withstand Damage feat can be gamebreaking unless the attacker use powers like Stun, Dazzle, Paralyze, Fatigues, Mental Blast and so on... And the Withstand Damage feat will not help much against it

But if the character have maxed out their toughness save and their other saves to max while having Withstand Damage feat. Then it will be truly become gamebreaking.

Really withstand damage is signifigantly worse than the normal trade offs with regards to balance. With withstand damage you can trade off for toughnes against normal attacks but retain your defense vs. exotic attacks. So you only suffer the penalty when it will benefit you.

Mecha and manga looks to be a good book for running an anime style game. Since we are not its really quite broken and ill fitted for FC