On This The Day Of My Daughters Debut [IC]

angrydurf

Jack made a scratchy gesture in the air at James and mimed a miaow, a wicked smile on his face as he swept Angel out onto the dance floor. He was all dashing charm and charisma, his eyes magnetically warm as he studied Angel's, the gleam in his eyes promising untoward delights as the music kicked up. I hope Ace and Taylor are getting this done fast. "Tell me, mi amour, have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight? Because tonight, I can show such wonderful things that you'll forget your own name." Because I have no idea what yours is. It...I swear, I've seen your face somewhere! Not Paris... "

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

James said nothing, gave a mental shrug and stepped back with a slight nod. He wasn't sure she'd be there after being distracted but there was quite some time until this shindig was over anyway. But he didn't particularly trust that couple. So, perhaps he'd move a bit and find some fun while waiting. And making sure he could ditch those two at the same time. He stepped back, watching both the glaring girlfriend and the annoying interrupter. As soon as there were people between him and them, he crouched down as if to tie his shoes. Below the sight line, even those around him weren't paying attention. A moment of concentration and he'd vanished from the room.

Ace flashed a mischevious smile to his young companion, "Don't sell short the worth of wit my dear, there is a dearth in the world." He flirted.

He glanced up almost reflexively to look for James as he answered he question, "As for Magic I would guess her young partner was the culprit. One of the youngest scions of the Prophet family, bit of a black sheep but nothign to be concernedabout considering the overall crowd." He added with a wink as he nodded to the cloistered private room where the host and most of his top men relaxed in seclusion.

Taylor relaxed slightly at that. Of course, in the circles she ran in, she had heard of the Prophets, "Doubtless you're correct then. I'm sure Jack will be relieved as well..."

Her gaze slid back to her boyfriend and one brow quirked sardonically as she added, "When he's finished his dance, of course."

Angel was certainly impressed with the man's savoir faire. As they danced to the music, she wondered what happened to the woman he was with. Was she just arm candy like everyone else had? She played it safe and tried not to flirt too hard.

"Well then, before we forget our names, perhaps an introduction is in order?"

James walked back into the room with a drink in hand. He started wandering the floor, looking for things of interest. He had put the interruptions and the annoyances out of his mind already. He wasn't one to dwell. He'd remember to be at the valet later of course. But for now, there was no reason to not mingle and move around. He was here to have some fun after all.

"My name is passion," Jack told her with perfect smoothness, "and yours is desire. And tonight, the dance floor is ours." When Jack saw Taylor step out onto the dance floor with Ace, his eyes widened. Well, that's productive, he thought irritably. Here I am doing what _you_ wanted. He wouldn't have minded seeing her step out with anyone else, but Ace Danger was, well, danger. "Tell me, my delicious flower of the desert, will you carry our passion back to your handsome boy of a little while ago?" he enquired, leading the way across the dance floor to the implausibly happy Taylor and Ace. Where did she learn to dance like that!? "Will you show him the pure, undiluted power of a beautiful woman over the most powerful of men?"

Left with the option of making something of a scene, or getting drug onto the dance floor, Taylor chose the hopefully less attention drawing tact of getting sucked into the vortex of Ace Danger.

"Ace, I don't even know how to tango. I'm supposed to get back to my date." Taylor pointed out with another futile frown at him. Fortunately, it was a dance that her temper worked well with and Ace's lead was easy to follow. Any time she jerked away from Ace's hands, it just seemed to be part of the push and pull of the tango.

"Do mind your hands, Ace." Taylor frowned at him, suspicious of just how much was dance form and how much of it was Ace being Ace. Hoping she wouldn't break an ankle with the tricky steps, Taylor risked a glance around the room to find Jack on one of the more backbendy moves.

Angel wanted to laugh at the sheer audacity of that first line. She would have too if this dance were not so quick and close. Also, up this close the guy was pretty fine. As they strode across the floor, she tried to keep eye contact with her new dance partners as it helped her focus, but it seemed his mind was on his date. Definitely not arm candy. "Of course," she smiled and made with like talk, "one as handsome and as passionate as yourself one never forgets." She wasn't half lying either.

"Then let this evening burn forever in your mind," Jack murmured, falling automatically back on the easy cliches of romance. "So that the flames of passion may be forever kindled on your heart." His dance with her was passionate and fast, his incredible speed and grace making up for his lack of training in the dance itself. When the dance itself was done, Jack left Angel at the edge of the dance floor, a smile on his face. "Remember always, senorita, the lesson of the evening. In the end, there can be...only one." With Queen swelling in his ears, Jack turned and headed off the floor to wait for Taylor. If she was ever going to finish.

"Oh don't worry so much my dear," Ace replied to Taylor smugly, "There are plenty of others minding my hands." He really did delight in tweaking Jacks nose he hadn't had this much fun in years. And here he had thought this event would be dull.

As the song came to an end Ace manuvered them such that the final dip was directly in front of Taylors beau. As Taylor came to rest in his arms he looked up to Jack and blew his rival a quick kiss before returning Taylor to her feet.

He bowed to Taylor, "Many thanks milady," and turnign to Jack with a smile continued, "Keep an eye on this one Mr. Farretti. Some one might just try and steal her away if you're not careful." and passed Taylors hand into Jacks.

"That's my point. I'd rather not have to explain why your hand was on my thigh," Taylor gritted through her teeth at Ace. She absolutely hated when Ace did things like this. Nothing quite like being socially manuevered into delivering someone else's insult. She gave Ace a look that wasn't at all difficult to interpert as 'I am strongly considering hexing you into the hemisphere' as he finished the dance and neatly slid her back to Jack.

"You are exceptionally dangerous when bored," Taylor informed Ace. It was definately not a compliment. She turned her face up to Jack, "He did have an answer for me, however."

Jack gave Ace an annoyed look. He'd always dealt poorly with male competition, but Ace was something else. He's not into Taylor at all, Jack concluded baldly. He's just doing this to mess with me. To dig around on me. Remembered images of Ace Danger slaying vampires appeared sharply in his mind. That won't end well. He gave Ace the greatest insult he could give under the circumstances. He turned to Taylor, his arm around her. "Anything useful? My partner there didn't seem terribly sensitive to anything. I tried to start something with her boyfriend, but his interests were elsewhere. I haven't seen him since, come to think of it..."

Ace rolled his eyes, while the I'm just going to ignore you routine was all the rage amongst eighth graders he was sure he had expected better from Jack.

"Eyeing the young men are we Jack, your going to get yourself a reputation if you're not carefull." Ace said in a low tone only for them. "But if you are interested I assure you experiance trumps youthful enthusiasm, right Tayor?" Ace smile was slick as glass but he hadn't much more time to spend on this entertaining diversion he soon had to introduce the guest of honor and anounce her first dance. He turned and walked away before either of them could respond.

Taylor sighed at Ace and smoothed down her dress as she turned to answer Jack's question. She'd take his flirting more in stride if he wasn't so darn good at it. Blast Ace Danger anyways, now what was Jack saying?

"The boy's a member of the Prophet family. I'd heard of them. They move in similar circles..." Taylor trailed off as she glanced over Jack's shoulder for the second time since she started talking to him and trailed off. Poking him once in the chest, she gestured for him to turn around, "Aren't a lot of those big guys heading outside? Quickly?"

"They are," agreed Jack, who did a fine job pretending he'd known it all along. "Good eye. If it's happening here," he murmured to her, "it's got to be trouble. I'll meet you out there," he suggested to her. "Better do this one on the sly." He was already moving, muscles tensing beneath her hands as he stepped away and headed for the door. "And bring your traveling clothes. This looks like it might be a rough ride..."

Stepping away from the dance floor gracefully, Angel headed towards one of the lounges in the front. She was unaware of the group of mobsters heading in the same direction. Even if she knew they were mobsters. What did catch her eye is the couple, Mr. Passion and Ms. Decidedly-Not-Arm-Candy, walking towards the exit. They tried to hide it, but there was something suspicious about it. The lounge would have to wait. She would have to do some investigating.

Taylor released him to do what Jack did best and blew him a kiss with a sparkle in her eyes that seemed reserved for 'I think people are about to shoot us' moments.

"I'll meet you outside then. I'm making it a personal goal not to run in heels." They seperated once they reached the doors, and Taylor veered quickly to a small side room off the patio. It was for freshening up and that's exactly what Taylor did. Of course for her, that meant with a flash of light the silk dress vanished and Phantom's cloak and costume replaced it in a matter of seconds. Holding the billowing fabric, Phantom turned ephemeral and sank into the ground below to catch up with Jack. Scrying meant never sticking one's head up in the middle of a firefight after all.

James was completely oblvious to the happenings with the various thugs, distracted by the young blonde woman who he was dancing with. She was rather vapid however, normally not something he concerned himself with when just looking for an evening of fun. But he still was keeping an eye out when he noticed Angel start heading. Perhaps she was headed for the valet and an early evening? Well, he did say he'd be there, and she was certainly hot enough for him to try and be there. So he excused himself from his date with a few polite words and headed after her a moment later. It only occurred to him once he was underway that they weren't headed towards the valet. He simply shrugged and carried on after, curious as to what had drawn the lovely latino lady in this direction. And curious about the way her hips moved in that dress too...

They were in a crowded room, and some people were looking. But mortal eyes were nothing to Jack Faretti. He hadn't thought to bring a costume along on this visit, a stupid mistake he wouldn't make again, but the shadows and darkness were all the protection he needed. He ducked into a dark corner and simply vanished, falling away from mortal eyes with the speed and power of the undead. He moved into the lawn outside in darkness and shadow, his body crouched low like a predator, his suit jacket and tie discarded to better free himself up for movement.

The first thing anyone noticed as they approached the garden was an unearthly silence that had fallen over the garden. Assembled in the center of a large open area were nearly twenty of the rougher edged guests and near that number in alert security enforcers. Clearly they didn't want anyone catching a peek of what they were up too.

As Jack crept closer he saw what they were all watching, amid the cheering crowd there stood a mountain of a man a small amount of blood on his crisp white shirt, his tuxedo jacket discarded. Faceing off against this behemoth was a small and lithe man covered head to toe in a skintight black suit, even his eyes covered by black gogles nothing of hs features could be made out. Despite being overmatched the smaller man deftly avoiding the blows of the giant attempting to batter him but it was uncertain how long he could last as even his best shots seemed to have no effect on the brute.

Lying discarded nearby was what looked to be some kind of advanced weapon system about the size of a large combat rifle. It was smoking and sending small sparks out clearly damaged.

Phantoms ESP revealed the same tablue but with her improved sightlines was abel to make out the host of the event dryly observing the attemptted beating.

James strolled in and saw the group. There was a definite 'go away' vibe going on. He wasn't exactly stealthy. And he wasn't one to be turned away just cause someone didn't want him there. He gave a little shrug, put a smile on his face and walked right up to the crowd, focusing a little of his powers as he went. "Gentlemen, this seems to be the place to be. What fun mischief are we causing," he asked curiously and openly. He was completely unconcerned. They were just thugs after all. But hopefully he'd get close enough to find out what was going on before things got really fun.

Angel saw James approach the men with perfect confidence. Ever though the 'go away' vibe was there, she had to see what James and his friends were up to.

Approaching James and the men gracefully and without a bit of trepidation, Angel politely curtsied. "James, I hope I am not interrupting something, but is this an event I was not told about?" Her eyes went wide with shock when she saw what the meeting was about. "James, is there something you need to tell me," she said with a smile as her body tensed up subtley, ready to kick somebody's head off.

Jack recognized the Silencer first. Do you fall here, my brother? he thought. Jack didn't kill (anymore), and neither did Avenger, but he felt a twist of empathy with Freedom City's most notorious vigilante as he watched him fight. Jack knew full well the darker drives that stole the value from the lives of others, and the urge to channel those drives into something meaningful. Except...how many of us would you have killed tonight? It was a debutante's ball. There were children at this party. Jack split the difference and moved closer in the darkness, ready to begin picking off the edges of the party. The only solution was to make sure no one died.