On This The Day Of My Daughters Debut [IC]

angrydurf

As summer drew to a close the youngest of the infamous Frank Tonifanni's daughters comes into her majority and is presented to society. Normaly this is the kind of event that goes un-noticed in the annals of the illustrious metropolis. Tonight however is different the Tonifanni family has arranged for none other than Ace Danger to act as Majordomo for the event, society has taken notice and attendance for the event is higher than anyone would have expected before that news was released.

The event itself is held at an opulant North Bay estate on loan for the occasion while its owners are abroad. The monolithic manor is bathed in light and the emmacculate grounds festooned with decorations. Clearly no expense has been spared for this seminal event in the young ladies life. Security is of course tight as well with well dressed enforcers crawling over the perimeter. Nothing is going to ruin the night for daddys little girl.

Ace Danger himself is seeing to final preparations and last minute schedualing, and can be seen disccusing napkins with the mother of the Debutant while an older brother greets the new arrivals at the door.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taylor's expression as she glanced up at the house was coming perliously close to her inscrutable mystic demeanor. Really, it covered the bundle of nerves as she felt terribly out of place standing on the steps of a North Bay mansion. She missed the comforting weight of the Eye on her throat but even she knew that the piece would look out of place with the stiff collar of the cheongsam silk dress. Instead, she'd looped the thick chain around one wrist. The sparkling black jewel would be a little less noticible there and the color at least flattered the deep purple silk. Instead of more traditional designs, the silk was embroided with delicate white star patterns down the bodice and along the slitted skirt.

She'd taken the time to sleek her dark hair back up into a braided knot. That alone had taken almost a half hour to remember how to do but the effect was worth it, at least. After all, how much more awkward would she feel if she were underdressed. The cool expression on her face faded as she glanced up at her date.

"I didn't know Ace was going to be here," she commented in an aside.

James drove his car up the driveway and to the valet. Stepping out, he straightened out his tux, smoothing the lines of the ridiculously expensive piece of attire. He didn't ware this kind of thing too often, but when you had a piece of clothing that cost more than some people make in a year, it was always nice to take it out. He handed the waiting valet, a c-note, asking him to keep the car on the edge so he could leave whenever. Nodding, he headed up the steps.

He wasn't supposed to be here of course. His family was invited, but given who was throwing the event, they had no intention of going and weren't letting any of the members go. Which of course meant he was going. He nodded at the man greeting everyone, handing over his invitation without thought and headed into the party. He didn't care who was throwing this little party. He was keeping an eye out for some fun, of the hot female variety of course.

"Neither did I," said Jack, his arm protectively around Taylor's waist as they headed inside the mansion. His tight black suit fit him like a glove, the young man from the suburbs turned vampire king looking as if he perfectly fit in at the fancy-dress ball. "But I suppose it's hard to go to a really classy party and not run into him." He gave Taylor a quick smile. "You look great, by the way. Place doesn't need Ace Danger to have class when it has you."

"You're looking quite sharp yourself," She grinned back at him, and replied playfully, "Flatterer. I'm about as out of my element as I can get."

Her heels clicked on the marble as they crossed the entry way. Not for the first time, Taylor hoped that this particular even would see nothing out of the ordinary. She might end up breaking an ankle if she had to run in the strappy heels. She might be able just to phase her feet out of them, Taylor supposed, but with the tiny buckles around her ankles they weren't the kind you could just kick off. Well, how likely was it that anything would happen other than some dancing and shmoozing?

Pushing her thoughts away from the times that a fight had broken out on one of their dates, Taylor glanced around the room with a quiet curiosity. Other than Ace, she didn't see anyone she knew of course. There appeared to be the older crowd and then a great number of people her age or younger, "So, is there someone we're looking for or is this just a see and be seen type of event?"

"Why would I need to look for anyone else when I have you on my arm?" Jack asked her with a cheery smile. "Tonight is about you and me and having a good time," he promised her. "And letting ourselves be seen together in public is part of that. Especially if we see anyone else we know." He looked around. "You're right, there _are_ a lot of kids here. I guess he's really trying to get his girl paired off."

A sleek black Astin Martin pulled up to the valet. Out of the fast and expensive car stepped Angel Mark, dressed for the occassion in a silken red dress. It was unadorned with black high heels. It had been a while since she walked on them, but it was like riding a bike. You never forget. Handing the keys over to the valet, she curtsied and walked into the reception.

On her way, she found that not many people had arrived. She saw a couple and a guy around her age, she guessed. The guy her age didn't look half bad, neither did the guy of the couple. She went over to the guy around her age first. "Good evening," she curtsied, "I am Angel Marks."

But for a few stragglers it seemed allt he guests had arrived and various clusters formed up to discuss this or that common intrest. In addition to the central ballroom there were several launges available for the guests to take their leisure in though one door did seem to have guards preventing casual entrance the majority of the party goers avoided it with out encouragement from the neckless doorman.

The matter of the napkins finally resolved Ace made his way onto the floor to make the rounds and ensure everything was running smoothly before his duties took his attention elsewhere. Approaching Jack and Taylor he made a slight incline of his head, "Mr. Farretti," Then with a deeper bow he took Taylors hand and planted a delicate kiss on her knuckles his eyes drifting to hers for a moment, "And the always lovely Ms. Chun." He added with a smile.

It took a woman made of sterner stuff than even Phantom to not react to Ace's charms and she blushed faintly at the brush of lips across her knuckles before she rescued her hand from the immortal adventurer. While Ace could fluster her, she wasn't fooled. Ace was up to something. One raven-black brow quirked in silent question at Ace's theatrics although she greeted him with a smile.

"Good evening, Ace. We would have said hello earlier but you seemed quite busy."

"Mr. Danger," said Jack coolly. "I'm glad to see a legend such as yourself has found a role suitable for your talents." He smiled thinly. "I suppose none of us can really proclaim our innocence at a party like this, can we?" He looked around at the room and murmured softly, so only the three of them could hear: "Even so, I think I'll at least do without sampling the party favors here tonight. There's too much blood money on the table for my tastes."

James looked over as the young woman strolled over. Definitely not a shy one but certainly hot. Confident is good, he thought to himself. He had to smile at the curtsy, it seemed a little out of place. But hey, he could go the formal elegant route as well. He reached out and took her hand, giving it a gentle squeeze. He bowed from the waist, leaning down to kiss her hand. "It certainly seems to be now," he replied. "I'm James Prophet."

Ace smiled knowingly, "I find its usefull to have friends from all walks of life, to get the full experiance life has to offer." He said with a shrug. He eyed Jack carefully, "Not all of us can remain so lilly white in our dealings as you Mr. Farretti, its something I think you'll learn in time." He said casually.

He glanced to Taylor with a smile, "Of course that does beg the question why attend at all if you find our hosts business so," He paused as if searching for the right word, clearly a calculated verbal manuever, "beneath you." he finished with an arched eyebrow Jacks direction.

"It is very nice to meet you, Mr. Prophet," Angel smiled. She didn't want to delve into mindless prettle about how the weather was, she wanted to know why he was here. "So, what brings you here," Angel asked thinking out loud. He didn't look like someone looking for a companion. Then again, maybe she was wrong.

Taylor lifted her chin at the silky comments flying back and forth and said, quietly, "I am neither a fool nor a child, Ace. If you want to have a conversation with Jack without me, all you had to do was ask."

She gave both of them measured and slanted glances, "I'm sure I can manage to mingle by myself for a bit if there's something you need to settle."

Very direct. She certainly doesn't seem like one to waste time. He decided to answer her in kind, going for the mostly honest route as well. "Oh, I'm not here for the purposes of the invitation. Please! Like I'm anywhere close to settling down? Not likely. But it was something to do. I was told I shouldn't attend, which is always a good way to pique my curiosity if nothing else. Beyond that, looking for a fun time and some lovely ladies such as yourself is always high on my to do list," he said with a charming smile. "You?"

"No, I think Ace and I are done measuring our respective manhoods," said Jack with a grin. "Ace, I think you'll find that particular game is best played solitaire. C'mon, Taylor, let's go see what the pretty people are doing." Ace was good; Ace was far, far better than any man had any right to be. But Jack played this particular game with monsters. Still, when he met Ace's eyes, it was hard not to keep the murder out of them. Jack was a man used to restraining that particular impulse, but he certainly wasn't immune to it.

"Apologies my dear." He said with a bow to Taylor, "I'm sure Jack will fill you in on all the relevant details when he's ready, I wouldn't want to overstep." He shot a flat look to Jack clearly unimpressed, Ace had been dealing with harder men than Jack Farretti since he was ten.

Now to find out who had arranged his invatation to the event, people like 'The Hitter' rarely liked to invite other sharks into thier pond. Ace Bowed with a smile and began moving through the crowd, an old friend had asked he keep an eye on a one of the young Prophets lest he embaress the family.

The coolly remote expression faded from her features and she gave Ace a quiet nod and replied with, "I'm sure he well. I'll see you later, Ace."

She threaded her hand through his arm and raised an eyebrow at Jack but didn't raise any questions as the parted ways with the play-boy. Taylor appreciated her friends concern but sometimes she really wondered if everyone just thought she was some sort of idiot. Jack had secrets - more than almost anyone else she'd ever met - and she was well aware that at least some of them were dangerous. Taylor could have even chosen to try and pry into them, but she didn't. Either he'd reveal things in time or he wouldn't. In the end, it came down to a matter of trust. Right or wrong, Taylor had made the choice to trust Jack. Although she doubted he'd say the same about her.

Taylor lifted an inscrutable face to Jack before the warmth of her smile softened her expression. "I think I hear music in the ballroom. Shall we go watch people dance?"

"Let's," Jack agreed with a ready smile. I wonder if we're going to have to kill him. The thought made Jack nauseous. Difficult, too...and killing is wrong! Even annoyed, he was basically aware of that fact as well as anyone else. No killing. That's not a way to solve your problems, even your problems in the community. Just leave him alone and...figure something out. "But I hope you have plans to do more than just look tonight."

To do list, Angel thought, Clever. Not that she wouldn't mind a stealaway with such a handsomely hot guy. She snickered, "Well, I'm here for a proxy. Mom and dad are off on business so they send me instead." She looked around to see the other guests talking, then back to James. "Seems like this party is about to kick off. Will you accompany me to the dance floor?"

"I have lots of plans for tonight," Taylor said although it was softly stated rather than her usual teasing. Her dark eyes saw a little more clearly than Jack might like and she offered him the opening, "Did you want to talk about it?"

The light pressure of her fingertips on his arm increased and she flashed him a concerned look, searching his features. She was, at least, getting better at reading the moods that went on behind Jack's expressions. "Or would you rather just dance?"

James nodded. "Do your parents have a lot of ties with this family?" He was curious as to how tied to the 'mob' or whatever she was. Not that it mattered overly much at the moment. He extended his arm to her with a smile. "I'd be honored. I'm not much of a dancer but I'll do my best to make a good showing." He'd had a few dance classes of course, but it wasn't his main preference. Dancing at clubs and such was much different, and something he spent far more time doing.

The first dance of the night was a nice slow waltz, not to difficult if one knew the basics and easy to stay lost in the crowd. Many young mafiosos on the make were trying thier hand to fair effect though the more trained dancers of the crowd still stood out quite a bit.

By the time Ace had made his way through the crowwd and caught sight of young James Prophet the waltz was about to begin. It took minimal effort to find an affable partner and he took to the floor to get a better look on who he had loked his eyes on so far.

Well he certainly had good taste Ace had to admit, and if memory served Ms. Marks would not be a concern for his family either. Just in case however he kept an eye out. It was interesting to see just who would turn out to an event like this. He still needed to find out exactly why Jack was here, as far as Aces inquirys went he didn't seem to have any signifigant Mob ties. At least not directly.

"They're business partners," Angel said as she stepped out on the floor with James, "my parents are also very good friends of the Tonnifannis." James was a good dancer, he'd obviously practiced for the night.

A few moments into the dance Angel noticed an admirerer. 'Ace Danger?' she thought trying to keep her footing, 'I never thought he'd look this way. Must keep my composure. I've danced for others before! Wait, I can't leave James here. James or Ace? James and Ace?' A smile crossed her face as she danced, looking at James. "I think we're being watched," she whispered to James.

James slid into the steps without too much trouble, remembering those formal classes without too much trouble. He smiled warmly as they moved effortlessly around the dance floor. He wasn't an expert, but she was certainly better than him. "I must say, you're a wonderful dancer. Ah, the good family friend thing. Spend a lot of time with their kids hmm? So what do your parent's do," he asked with a chuckle. While he she might look to be the drop-dead gorgeous socialite, it obviously wasn't the whole story. She was too graceful, smooth. And the light callouses bespoke of some serious time not spent getting a manicure. So, a potential mob princess with possibly serious martial skills; likely able to kick his but if it can to that. Still, she was beautiful, a good dancer and not an idiot as far as he could tell. More than enough reasons for him to enjoy the time and see where things went.

James didn't bother to glance over. "Yeah, I noticed. That's Ace Danger. Never met him, but he's been tracking me or us since just before we started dancing. The gossip occasionally paints him as gay, though I don't get that vibe from him. Don't know what he wants, don't want to really." He chuckled. "Though if he's watching you, I can't say I blame him."