Immunity to Tech

I think that's right as long as . . .

1) The camera isn't rendered inoperable. It just doesn't work on the player with the Nullify.

2) The camera is within the 50' radius of the Nullify effect.

Actually, I take back #2. Since Nullify is ultimately a "counter," it would say that it could keep the camera from operating on him at any distance (but it would not keep a PC/NPC robot/construct from seeing him; that just seems too over-the-top).

I was going the other direction. A very common power descriptor is supposed to cost 20 pp. Going up to "women" seemed like it would cost twice as much, since I was assuming that it only protected against direct effects. The character with the immunity wouldn't be affected by a woman punching him or hitting him with some sort of Blast, but causing indirect harm (like blasting the ceiling above that character, causing it to cave in on top of him) would still work. If you were also protected against indirect harm, then 85 points is probably more appropriate.

I can see that. I'm just afraid that in our game you are far more likely to encounter a "technology" descriptor than you are a woman. :D

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1) The camera isn't rendered inoperable. It just doesn't work on the player with the Nullify.

Actually, I take back #2. Since Nullify is ultimately a "counter," it would say that it could keep the camera from operating on him at any distance (but it would not keep a PC/NPC robot/construct from seeing him; that just seems too over-the-top).

I was going the other direction. A very common power descriptor is supposed to cost 20 pp. Going up to "women" seemed like it would cost twice as much, since I was assuming that it only protected against direct effects. The character with the immunity wouldn't be affected by a woman punching him or hitting him with some sort of Blast, but causing indirect harm (like blasting the ceiling above that character, causing it to cave in on top of him) would still work. If you were also protected against indirect harm, then 85 points is probably more appropriate.

I can see that. I'm just afraid that in our game you are far more likely to encounter a "technology" descriptor than you are a woman. :D

Ow, remind me of how much a geek I am. But seriously, Heavy's going up against two heroines, and there's at least four other ones (High Note, Cold Blood, Celestia, and Amazon) right now. No villainesses so far, but that could change.

I actually have one I'm thinking of playing. I just wanted to wait until my first character got approved. I need to go over the build with a fine toothed comb before submission though.

Ow, remind me of how much a geek I am. But seriously, Heavy's going up against two heroines, and there's at least four other ones (High Note, Cold Blood, Celestia, and Amazon) right now. No villainesses so far, but that could change.

I actually have one I'm thinking of playing. I just wanted to wait until my first character got approved. I need to go over the build with a fine toothed comb before submission though.

Look at the other broad examples for clarification. Immunity to all physical damage is 40 points. Immunity to all energy damage is 40 points. Immunity to saves are 30 points each. And you want to buy an immunity that will make you immune to about 25% of all physical and energy damage, and Fort, Reflex, and Will saves in our game. I think 40 points is extremely generous..

As otehrs have pointed out, immunity would have to be directed directly at my villain to have any effect at all, and I am fine with that. But even still, your 40 point quote above would include what tech? All of it? Or only 20th century? Or Super-tech? That point has not really been clarified yet.

If you wanted it to be a "natural ability" that works all the time (even if you were stunned or unconscious) with no chance of "missing" an effect, it would be:

Nullify 10 (All technological effects, 2 PPs/rank) [Extras] = 51 PPs.

*Personal means that it only nullifies the effects with respect to you (like immunity).

You would still have to make an opposed check to nullify effects that were greater than 10 ranks. That's expensive, and in some ways it doesn't work as well as the Immunity you want. That should tell you something.

I really do not agree with the power build above, as I think uncontrolled should be added in, dropping it down to 40 points, as I do not think you can normally drop immunities, though I could be wrong.

But anyway, it looks like Immunity Tech would not be accepted anyway, so I'll rethink my villain a bit.