Immunity to Tech

I am working on a villain who is around to return the world to the stone age, or a bit earlier if possible. 8-)

His main defense should b his immunity to technology from everything industrial revolution on up. So a bow and arrow, or a sword and such should be able to hurt him, but even the simplest firearm is a poor excuse for a club.

Would 20 points immunity work? And if so would that be immunity to damage, or all tech effects like security cameras and such?

Looking for some input.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am working on a villain who is around to return the world to the stone age, or a bit earlier if possible. 8-)

His main defense should b his immunity to technology from everything industrial revolution on up. So a bow and arrow, or a sword and such should be able to hurt him, but even the simplest firearm is a poor excuse for a club.

Would 20 points immunity work? And if so would that be immunity to damage, or all tech effects like security cameras and such?

Looking for some input.

Looking for some input.

Swords are still low-tech, in that they still have to be used in close combat. No firing it at him and you'll be fine. :)

This is kind of a sticky power that you're trying to build here. For example, my character could not hurt you at range, but could still hurt you in close dispite your Intangible power if he used a HP to give himself the equivilent of the "Affects Incorporeal" feat.

As for cameras, that's actually an interesting idea. Since cameras are not technically a "power" per se, I would have to say no. You would need concealment for that, since cameras do not simulate a damaging event.

Swords are still low-tech, in that they still have to be used in close combat. No firing it at him and you'll be fine. :)

This is kind of a sticky power that you're trying to build here. For example, my character could not hurt you at range, but could still hurt you in close dispite your Intangible power if he used a HP to give himself the equivilent of the "Affects Incorporeal" feat.

As for cameras, that's actually an interesting idea. Since cameras are not technically a "power" per se, I would have to say no. You would need concealment for that, since cameras do not simulate a damaging event.

Making yourself vulnerable to only “low-tech†type attacks would be an expensive proposition. That’s a very broad descriptor. In the comic world it’s not much more limiting than Immunity (Women).

Assuming that any superpower that does not have a technological origin is considered “low-tech,†then I’d guess that you would be immune to about half the non-power-based attacks against you (heroes and villains are far more likely to carry bows and swords than you might normally expect), and you would be immune to about ¼ of all the power-based attacks against you (about 20%-25% of all the powers in our character bankâ€â€by very rough estimateâ€â€have a “tech†descriptor of some kind). All totaled, you will essentially be immune to about 20% (again, rough estimate) of all the “bad†things that someone in this game could do to you, including damage (lethal and non-lethal) and Fort, Ref, and Will saves. That’s a pretty hefty Immunity.

Off the cuff, I’d say that is much closer to a 40 point immunity (maybe more).

You would also have to be very specific about how and when this immunity works. What constitutes technology? Is it the age of the technology (e.g. you said “industrial revolutionâ€Â)? What about ancient super-technology (comics are full of them)? What about alien technology? What about organically-based biological technology? You’d have to spell that out pretty clearly.

And no, you can’t buy “Immunity (Being Noticed).†It’s not really an effect. You could buy a concealment effect, limited to technology.

Making yourself vulnerable to only “low-tech†type attacks would be an expensive proposition. That’s a very broad descriptor. In the comic world it’s not much more limiting than Immunity (Women).

Assuming that any superpower that does not have a technological origin is considered “low-tech,†then I’d guess that you would be immune to about half the non-power-based attacks against you (heroes and villains are far more likely to carry bows and swords than you might normally expect), and you would be immune to about ¼ of all the power-based attacks against you (about 20%-25% of all the powers in our character bankâ€â€by very rough estimateâ€â€have a “tech†descriptor of some kind). All totaled, you will essentially be immune to about 20% (again, rough estimate) of all the “bad†things that someone in this game could do to you, including damage (lethal and non-lethal) and Fort, Ref, and Will saves. That’s a pretty hefty Immunity.

You would also have to be very specific about how and when this immunity works. What constitutes technology? Is it the age of the technology (e.g. you said “industrial revolutionâ€Â)? What about ancient super-technology (comics are full of them)? What about alien technology? What about organically-based biological technology? You’d have to spell that out pretty clearly.

And no, you can’t buy “Immunity (Being Noticed).†It’s not really an effect. You could buy a concealment effect, limited to technology.

I would not write it out as an immunity....Well not completely

I would write it out as

Nullify x (2pt version- Post Industrial Technological Descriptor- Extras: Affects objects [+1} Nullifying Field [+0] No Save For Objects [+1]] Total Cost 4 pts per rank. I would add on the Power Feat [subtle] and perhaps some progression on the size of your area.

and Immunity [Technological Effects, Bullets] 15

This should cover your immunity to damage from tech effects...as well as making you invisible to cameras, sensors, etc...

I would write it out as

Nullify x (2pt version- Post Industrial Technological Descriptor- Extras: Affects objects [+1} Nullifying Field [+0] No Save For Objects [+1]] Total Cost 4 pts per rank. I would add on the Power Feat [subtle] and perhaps some progression on the size of your area.

This should cover your immunity to damage from tech effects...as well as making you invisible to cameras, sensors, etc...

I would write it out as

So in other words, immunity is strictly damaging effects? So if I had immunity to magic, a sorcerer could still use ESP to spy on my character?

So in other words, immunity is strictly damaging effects? So if I had immunity to magic, a sorcerer could still use ESP to spy on my character?

The answer to your general question is "No." Immunities can protect people from any effect that can affect them. Examples of non-damage effects include things like suffocation, aging, mind control, or death effects.

The answer to your specific question is "Yes." If you had Immunity (magic), you could still be spied upon with ESP with a magic descriptor. ESP is not affecting you. It is a sensory effect that is showing you. If you wanted to prevent someone from seeing you with ESP, you would buy an appropriate Concealment effect or something like a Nullify (Triggered: When someone would be able to see me with ESP).

The answer to your general question is "No." Immunities can protect people from any effect that can affect them. Examples of non-damage effects include things like suffocation, aging, mind control, or death effects.

The answer to your specific question is "Yes." If you had Immunity (magic), you could still be spied upon with ESP with a magic descriptor. ESP is not affecting you. It is a sensory effect that is showing you. If you wanted to prevent someone from seeing you with ESP, you would buy an appropriate Concealment effect or something like a Nullify (Triggered: When someone would be able to see me with ESP).

Immunity: Women? Sometime I wish I had that one in RL.

40 points seems pretty severe. But I see the point about how much it applies to. For my information, would Immunity: Mutants be the same? That seems as broad.

Let me think of how to work this, as it is core to the character I am envisioning. Maybe limit protection and such to tech effects.