The Raid

Shadowboxer

For some reason, the African man's words reassured Nanowire. This life didn't have to be the end for him. There was a difference between him and Nanowire, yes, but at it's essence, the way he looked at his problem had changed. It wasn't what he'd expected, talking to this man. In the movies, men such as this were nothing more than stereotypes, murders and psychos out for a way to get a fix of their favorite drug. But in reality, they had their own dreams, their own ambitions. That was what would keep him above the job. Knowing that someday, he could-

Automatic gunfire cut his thoughts off suddenly, causing him to start badly. He nearly lurched forwards into the African man before regaining his balance. As he did, a shadowy shape burst out of the door across the hall and taking up a martial arts stance in the middle of the room. Seeing somebody do something so stupid nearly made him forget why he was in the warehouse in the first place. What's he thinking, Nanowire thought with incredulity bordering on shock. Is he insane? They'll gun him down!

This might be a job, but Nanowire wasn't ready to see somebody die over it. He stepped forward, his footsteps ringing with the sound of nearly a half ton of ultratech carbine on concrete. "No one shoots him!" he bellowed, leveling his finger like a gun at the shadowy figure. "He's mine!" He hoped this guy would take the hint and get out of here, but knowing the superhero psyche as he did, Nanowire figured this would be one more instance of misplaced duty overtaking common sense...

...not even consciously realizing that was exactly what he wanted for himself.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NightrivalHS.jpg

Nightrival can feel his bones rattle when the metallic giant's voice booms throughout the warehouse. He tries to ignore the sound as he levels a swift roundhouse kick at the guard, who immediately is knocked to the floor. The rifle clanks against the cement floor when it tumbles out of the guard's hands.

He knows he doesn't stand a chance against a human tank, a fact he had to learn the hard way sparring with Shinken. Unfortunately, Nightrival doesn't recognize the new player, but he won't underestimate him. As he quickly weighs his options by taking note of his surroundings, he suddenly remembers his fight with Maelstrom. That villian outclassed him, yet Nightrival was able to hold his own. How could he do that again? He has to find an opening, either physically or emotionally.

I'll draw'em away from the goons so Shinken can take care of'em. Let's see if the new guy can get a bead on me.

Nightrival decides to use the debris near the northern wall as his cover. He bounds into the air and lands after two somersaults, then executes a lunge to handspring another seventeen feet. With the debris just behind him, he flattens himself and stands on the balls of his feet.

"I'm yours? I'm flattered, big guy. Come and get me."

NightrivalHS.jpg

Nightrival can feel his bones rattle when the metallic giant's voice booms throughout the warehouse. He tries to ignore the sound as he levels a swift roundhouse kick at the guard, who immediately is knocked to the floor. The rifle clanks against the cement floor when it tumbles out of the guard's hands.

He knows he doesn't stand a chance against a human tank, a fact he had to learn the hard way sparring with Shinken. Unfortunately, Nightrival doesn't recognize the new player, but he won't underestimate him. As he quickly weighs his options by taking note of his surroundings, he suddenly remembers his fight with Maelstrom. That villian outclassed him, yet Nightrival was able to hold his own. How could he do that again? He has to find an opening, either physically or emotionally.

I'll draw'em away from the goons so Shinken can take care of'em. Let's see if the new guy can get a bead on me.

Nightrival decides to use the debris near the northern wall as his cover. He bounds into the air and lands after two somersaults, then executes a lunge to handspring another seventeen feet. With the debris just behind him, he flattens himself and stands on the balls of his feet.

NightrivalHS.jpg

"No one shoots him!" he bellowed, leveling his finger like a gun at the shadowy figure. "He's mine!"

The last of Nanowire's words were cut off as all the soldiers took up positions and started shooting. The African was the quickest on the trigger. Before the first volley of bullets made it to the wall, a second target presented itself. Shinken came barreling through the door, and with a flying kick, sent the closest guard crashing unconscious to the ground with a thud.

factory3.jpg

"No one shoots him!" he bellowed, leveling his finger like a gun at the shadowy figure. "He's mine!"

The last of Nanowire's words were cut off as all the soldiers took up positions and started shooting. The African was the quickest on the trigger. Before the first volley of bullets made it to the wall, a second target presented itself. Shinken came barreling through the door, and with a flying kick, sent the closest guard crashing unconscious to the ground with a thud.

factory3.jpg

factory3.jpg

With an internal sigh, and a growing sense of inevitablity, Nanowire made towards the black-clad intruder. He lifted off the ground, held aloft on a field of gravitic suspention, and blasted towards him, arm cocked back. The crackle-pop of automatic gunfire barely registered as his fist slammed into the floor next to him, kicking up dust and debris.

Damn, this guy's fast, Nanowire thought as he set himself up for another swing. "So, what is this all about?" he asked, taking a look at the armor-clad lunatic with the samurai sword that had just cleaved through the wall. "Who are you people?"

With an internal sigh, and a growing sense of inevitablity, Nanowire made towards the black-clad intruder. He lifted off the ground, held aloft on a field of gravitic suspention, and blasted towards him, arm cocked back. The crackle-pop of automatic gunfire barely registered as his fist slammed into the floor next to him, kicking up dust and debris.

Damn, this guy's fast, Nanowire thought as he set himself up for another swing. "So, what is this all about?" he asked, taking a look at the armor-clad lunatic with the samurai sword that had just cleaved through the wall. "Who are you people?"

NightrivalHS.jpg

"So, what is this all about?" he asked, taking a look at the armor-clad lunatic with the samurai sword that had just cleaved through the wall. "Who are you people?"

"I'm Nightrival," he replies, "and my friend with the dramatic flair is Shinken." Nightrival somersaults into the air and gracefully settles on top of the ruined rusted metal just behind him.

If that punch got any closer, I'd be paste!

"We followed one o' your dealers here," he adds. "We figured this is where yer sellin' that poison from." Nightrival pulls back his fists and bends his knees, ready for his armoured opponent's next attack.

NightrivalHS.jpg

"So, what is this all about?" he asked, taking a look at the armor-clad lunatic with the samurai sword that had just cleaved through the wall. "Who are you people?"

"I'm Nightrival," he replies, "and my friend with the dramatic flair is Shinken." Nightrival somersaults into the air and gracefully settles on top of the ruined rusted metal just behind him.

"We followed one o' your dealers here," he adds. "We figured this is where yer sellin' that poison from." Nightrival pulls back his fists and bends his knees, ready for his armoured opponent's next attack.

NightrivalHS.jpg

Nanowire jerks to a halt as his newly dubbed opponent speaks. "Dealers? Poison?" A deep feeling of dread filled the pit of his stomach. Although he wasn't completely familiar with the slang terms of this country, what Nightrival said sounded far too much like - "You mean drugs? That's what's in the crates?"

Nanowire jerks to a halt as his newly dubbed opponent speaks. "Dealers? Poison?" A deep feeling of dread filled the pit of his stomach. Although he wasn't completely familiar with the slang terms of this country, what Nightrival said sounded far too much like - "You mean drugs? That's what's in the crates?"

The soldiers, under the deft command of the African, began falling back, weapons blasting. Shinken was struck several times. The bullets left significant dents in their wake, but Shinken's armor kept them at bay. The metallic hero quickly closed the distance with the nearest soldier. He swung his sword downward with one hand. It cut through the barrel of the soldier's rifle like a knife through butter. Shinken followed through with his momentum, spinning around completely and delivering a heavy back fist to the soldier's face. The soldier was knocked off his feet and fell to the ground in a heap.

factory4.jpg

The soldiers, under the deft command of the African, began falling back, weapons blasting. Shinken was struck several times. The bullets left significant dents in their wake, but Shinken's armor kept them at bay. The metallic hero quickly closed the distance with the nearest soldier. He swung his sword downward with one hand. It cut through the barrel of the soldier's rifle like a knife through butter. Shinken followed through with his momentum, spinning around completely and delivering a heavy back fist to the soldier's face. The soldier was knocked off his feet and fell to the ground in a heap.

factory4.jpg

factory4.jpg

NightrivalHS.jpg

"You mean drugs? That's what's in the crates?"

Nightrival remains poised to spring away from another attack, but the metallic man's uncertainity sounds sincere. He cocks his head to one side, trying to figure out the newcomer's place in all this.

"Sure, if that's what you wanna call'em. But drugs just get ya high; the stuff we trackin' is killin' folks, or worse."

Nightrival suddenly feels the icy terror crackling and expanding in the pit of his stomach again. This could be a ruse, he thinks darkly. Recalling his past encounters with costumed criminals, he's not about to wholly trust someone hanging out in a warehouse possibly filled with illegal naroctics. He flicks his wrists and two escrima staves leap out of his thickly padded gloves and land into his waiting palms.

"And then we find you here," he growls, "whoever you are. So, ya can either step aside and let us do our job, or we continue this dance."

NightrivalHS.jpg

Nightrival remains poised to spring away from another attack, but the metallic man's uncertainity sounds sincere. He cocks his head to one side, trying to figure out the newcomer's place in all this.

"Sure, if that's what you wanna call'em. But drugs just get ya high; the stuff we trackin' is killin' folks, or worse."

Nightrival suddenly feels the icy terror crackling and expanding in the pit of his stomach again. This could be a ruse, he thinks darkly. Recalling his past encounters with costumed criminals, he's not about to wholly trust someone hanging out in a warehouse possibly filled with illegal naroctics. He flicks his wrists and two escrima staves leap out of his thickly padded gloves and land into his waiting palms.

"And then we find you here," he growls, "whoever you are. So, ya can either step aside and let us do our job, or we continue this dance."

NightrivalHS.jpg

The other shoe had dropped. Nanowire felt his stomach, an organ he didn't even possess anymore, drop away, leaving him cold inside. He'd been guarding drugs this whole time? Used to kill people? His mouth moved, trying to make a plea of ignorance to the crime, but no sound came out. There was nothing he could say to alleviate the guilt that now pressed down upon him; the kind of weight even his inhumanly strong frame couldn't shoulder.

For a moment, he considered stepping aside and letting the heroes get on with their work. The samurai wannabe certainly seemed adept enough at it. But if he did that, word would get out. He'd never be able to get another job again, even one that didn't require him to so badly step over the bounds of society. Indecision warred inside him.

Until finally... "You make sure I don't get taken to jail," he hissed at Nightrival, "and I'll help you here. One time deal. In or out?"

The other shoe had dropped. Nanowire felt his stomach, an organ he didn't even possess anymore, drop away, leaving him cold inside. He'd been guarding drugs this whole time? Used to kill people? His mouth moved, trying to make a plea of ignorance to the crime, but no sound came out. There was nothing he could say to alleviate the guilt that now pressed down upon him; the kind of weight even his inhumanly strong frame couldn't shoulder.

For a moment, he considered stepping aside and letting the heroes get on with their work. The samurai wannabe certainly seemed adept enough at it. But if he did that, word would get out. He'd never be able to get another job again, even one that didn't require him to so badly step over the bounds of society. Indecision warred inside him.

Until finally... "You make sure I don't get taken to jail," he hissed at Nightrival, "and I'll help you here. One time deal. In or out?"