The Raid

Shadowboxer

NightrivalHS.jpg

"You make sure I don't get taken to jail," he hissed at Nightrival, "and I'll help you here. One time deal. In or out?"

Nightrival relaxes his stance and lowers his weapons. He looks to the guards, who are leveling their rifles at him in hopes of tagging him. He has a hunch something big is about to go down, and delaying could cost him dearly.

No time to argue. Gotta make the right move now.

"I don't know what yer angle is, but you can count me in. For now."

Nightrival gives his temporary ally one last inquistive look before hopping down from his spot. He leaps over an overturned file cabinet and vaults across a storage box, then races across the length of the warehouse to reach one of the guards standing beside a closed door.

Facing the guard, he lifts his staves in a defensive stance.

"C'mon tough guy, let's see what ya can do."

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NightrivalHS.jpg

"You make sure I don't get taken to jail," he hissed at Nightrival, "and I'll help you here. One time deal. In or out?"

Nightrival relaxes his stance and lowers his weapons. He looks to the guards, who are leveling their rifles at him in hopes of tagging him. He has a hunch something big is about to go down, and delaying could cost him dearly.

Nightrival gives his temporary ally one last inquistive look before hopping down from his spot. He leaps over an overturned file cabinet and vaults across a storage box, then races across the length of the warehouse to reach one of the guards standing beside a closed door.

NightrivalHS.jpg

With a great sigh, Nanowire turned and started back towards where Shinken was already laying into the mercenaries. Maybe this was fate, him meeting up with the African man and Nightrival like this. After tonight, getting jobs would be tougher, but he had reason to believe very few of the men here would be talking to their compatriots anytime soon.

As he approached the first man, still blasting away at Shinken, Nanowire had to wonder how the man had ended up the way he was now. Was he a "professional", just as the African man was? Did he share the same sense of honor, no matter how twisted? It mattered little in the grand scheme of things. He looked up at the metallic giant that had suddenly appeared next to him, confused as to why Nanowire wasn't fighting Nightrival anymore, no doubt. Before he could say anything, Nanowire said, "I'm sorry," and smacked him over the head just hard enough to knock him out.

"This fight is over!" Nanowire declared, cradling the unconcious man's body in the crook of his arm. "You can't stop me and them, so put your guns down. You do that, and you walk away, free and clear."

With a great sigh, Nanowire turned and started back towards where Shinken was already laying into the mercenaries. Maybe this was fate, him meeting up with the African man and Nightrival like this. After tonight, getting jobs would be tougher, but he had reason to believe very few of the men here would be talking to their compatriots anytime soon.

As he approached the first man, still blasting away at Shinken, Nanowire had to wonder how the man had ended up the way he was now. Was he a "professional", just as the African man was? Did he share the same sense of honor, no matter how twisted? It mattered little in the grand scheme of things. He looked up at the metallic giant that had suddenly appeared next to him, confused as to why Nanowire wasn't fighting Nightrival anymore, no doubt. Before he could say anything, Nanowire said, "I'm sorry," and smacked him over the head just hard enough to knock him out.

"This fight is over!" Nanowire declared, cradling the unconcious man's body in the crook of his arm. "You can't stop me and them, so put your guns down. You do that, and you walk away, free and clear."

Surprisingly, the African's demeanor seemed unaffected by this turn of events. He spit the cigarette out of his mouth and raised the rifle to his shoulder again. Without passion or malice, he unleashed a hail of bullets at Nanowire's head. He was a dead-on shot, but the bullets were far too puny to even make a dent. The African didn't flinch at the failed attack, but rather used the distraction of the bullets to begin back away from the metal traitor.

factory5.jpg

Surprisingly, the African's demeanor seemed unaffected by this turn of events. He spit the cigarette out of his mouth and raised the rifle to his shoulder again. Without passion or malice, he unleashed a hail of bullets at Nanowire's head. He was a dead-on shot, but the bullets were far too puny to even make a dent. The African didn't flinch at the failed attack, but rather used the distraction of the bullets to begin back away from the metal traitor.

factory5.jpg

factory5.jpg

With some quick thinking, Nanowire manged to move the man still in his arms out of the way. He was stunned that the African decided to do something so monumentally stupid as open fire on a being constructed entirely out of metal with a popgun like he had, but even more shocked that he had done so without regard for the life of his comrade. Didn't he know a ricochet could kill him? Or did he not care?

"Why?" Nanowire asked, laying the prone man down before straightening back up. "Why still fight? You have no chance. I can tear steel apart like paper. I can move faster than you can see. My outer suface can ward off tank shells like rain." He moved forward as he spoke, keeping the African in his sight at all times. "You cannot run, and there is nowhere you can hide from my eyes. All you have to do is put the gun down and walk away. Why wouldn't you do that? Is it because you're a professional, like you said? Why? Tell me!"

At the end, Nanowire's voice started to become desperate, like the man's answer would be the answer to all his own questions.

With some quick thinking, Nanowire manged to move the man still in his arms out of the way. He was stunned that the African decided to do something so monumentally stupid as open fire on a being constructed entirely out of metal with a popgun like he had, but even more shocked that he had done so without regard for the life of his comrade. Didn't he know a ricochet could kill him? Or did he not care?

"Why?" Nanowire asked, laying the prone man down before straightening back up. "Why still fight? You have no chance. I can tear steel apart like paper. I can move faster than you can see. My outer suface can ward off tank shells like rain." He moved forward as he spoke, keeping the African in his sight at all times. "You cannot run, and there is nowhere you can hide from my eyes. All you have to do is put the gun down and walk away. Why wouldn't you do that? Is it because you're a professional, like you said? Why? Tell me!"

At the end, Nanowire's voice started to become desperate, like the man's answer would be the answer to all his own questions.

Why still fight? You have no chance. I can tear steel apart like paper. I can move faster than you can see. My outer suface can ward off tank shells like rain." He moved forward as he spoke, keeping the African in his sight at all times. "You cannot run, and there is nowhere you can hide from my eyes. All you have to do is put the gun down and walk away. Why wouldn't you do that? Is it because you're a professional, like you said? Why? Tell me!"

The African still didn't speak, and he seemed almost completely unaffected by Nanowire's words. Almost. For a moment a look of pity flashed across his eyes. A flash, and then it was gone. With practiced precision the African hoisted his rifle to his shoulder and with his free hand hurled a small black satchel in Nanowire's direction. It sailed past him about twenty feet and landed near the northernmost crate, Nightrival, and and all of the unconscious "soldiers." The soldier then turned and ran out the southwest door of the warehouse.

The black satchel lay there on the ground . . .

Why still fight? You have no chance. I can tear steel apart like paper. I can move faster than you can see. My outer suface can ward off tank shells like rain." He moved forward as he spoke, keeping the African in his sight at all times. "You cannot run, and there is nowhere you can hide from my eyes. All you have to do is put the gun down and walk away. Why wouldn't you do that? Is it because you're a professional, like you said? Why? Tell me!"

The African still didn't speak, and he seemed almost completely unaffected by Nanowire's words. Almost. For a moment a look of pity flashed across his eyes. A flash, and then it was gone. With practiced precision the African hoisted his rifle to his shoulder and with his free hand hurled a small black satchel in Nanowire's direction. It sailed past him about twenty feet and landed near the northernmost crate, Nightrival, and and all of the unconscious "soldiers." The soldier then turned and ran out the southwest door of the warehouse.

Though he did not recognize the item itself, Nanowire certainly recognized the intent. The African had just thrown a bomb at them. At his fellow soldiers. Whether it was a ludicrous attempt to get away or simply a last thumbing of his nose at the inevitable, it no longer mattered. He had no answers for him, and nothing he could say would make any difference.

"Get out of here," Nanowire said to Nightrival without a trace of trepidation in his voice. And then he was off, zooming towards the satchel at blinding speed. Gravimetric forces laid the path between him and the bomb bare in the fraction of an instant. He scooped up his objective along the way, then blasted straight through the roof. Concrete and rebar offered no impediment, not at the speed he was moving.

As the clouds gave way to dead black sky, Nanowire took a moment to look about. "And it had all been going so well..." he muttered, waiting for the weapon in his hands to go off...

Though he did not recognize the item itself, Nanowire certainly recognized the intent. The African had just thrown a bomb at them. At his fellow soldiers. Whether it was a ludicrous attempt to get away or simply a last thumbing of his nose at the inevitable, it no longer mattered. He had no answers for him, and nothing he could say would make any difference.

"Get out of here," Nanowire said to Nightrival without a trace of trepidation in his voice. And then he was off, zooming towards the satchel at blinding speed. Gravimetric forces laid the path between him and the bomb bare in the fraction of an instant. He scooped up his objective along the way, then blasted straight through the roof. Concrete and rebar offered no impediment, not at the speed he was moving.

As the clouds gave way to dead black sky, Nanowire took a moment to look about. "And it had all been going so well..." he muttered, waiting for the weapon in his hands to go off...

NightrivalHS.jpg

Nightrival watches the scene unfold between the armoured man and the soldier, his escrima staves now tucked away. Although his face is hidden behind a mask, his eyes are clearly downcast and pitiful.

Poor guy. I dunno if he belongs here with guys like these. If only there's some to help him - maybe Shinken knows what to do. Hey, where'd he go any -

The solider throws something on the ground.

Is that a . . . ?

Before he can move, the armoured man swoops down on the satchel and rockets out of the warehouse. Nightrival watches the metallic figure disappear in the night sky through the newly smashed hole he made in the roof. Outside, the stars burn bright. For a moment he feels a strange loneliness once everyone vacates the warehouse. He shakes it off and looks over to the crates.

I think he's got that under control, he thinks, relieved that no one was hurt. There's nothing I can do for 'em now. I'll havta wait until we bump into each other again. Nightrival walks to the closest crate and prys it open with one of his throwing knives. He examines the crate's contents. I'll call the cops and tell'em to send a couple of units. Hopefully there's enough evidence here.

He hunts around the warehouse and finds an old rotary phone attached to a wall. Luckily, he hears a dial tone. He calls the police and makes an anonymous tip and gives them the warehouse's address. He hangs up and gazes up through the hole in the roof, dreading what may happen to the mysterious armoured man.

NightrivalHS.jpg

Nightrival watches the scene unfold between the armoured man and the soldier, his escrima staves now tucked away. Although his face is hidden behind a mask, his eyes are clearly downcast and pitiful.

Poor guy. I dunno if he belongs here with guys like these. If only there's some to help him - maybe Shinken knows what to do. Hey, where'd he go any -

Is that a . . . ?

Before he can move, the armoured man swoops down on the satchel and rockets out of the warehouse. Nightrival watches the metallic figure disappear in the night sky through the newly smashed hole he made in the roof. Outside, the stars burn bright. For a moment he feels a strange loneliness once everyone vacates the warehouse. He shakes it off and looks over to the crates.

I think he's got that under control, he thinks, relieved that no one was hurt. There's nothing I can do for 'em now. I'll havta wait until we bump into each other again. Nightrival walks to the closest crate and prys it open with one of his throwing knives. He examines the crate's contents. I'll call the cops and tell'em to send a couple of units. Hopefully there's enough evidence here.

He hunts around the warehouse and finds an old rotary phone attached to a wall. Luckily, he hears a dial tone. He calls the police and makes an anonymous tip and gives them the warehouse's address. He hangs up and gazes up through the hole in the roof, dreading what may happen to the mysterious armoured man.

NightrivalHS.jpg

Is that a . . . ?

Nanowire flew into the air, waiting for the explosion . . . but it never came. The violent journey out of the warehouse had forced open the flap that kept the contents of the satchel hidden, and Nanowire could see down inside it not explosives at all but rather two packs of cigarettes and a silver lighter embossed with a flag that the metallic mercenary didn't recognize.

The warehouse seemed abandoned now. The enemy forces, whoever they were, were either unconscious or had already made a run for it as the African had, and Shinken, his work here completed, had disappeared into the night as well. The crates were full of drugs as expected.

Within a minute or so of making the call, Nightrival heard sirens getting closer.