An Explanation of Sorts [IC]

alderwitch

Jack and Taylor didn't spend much time working on Moira's behalf over the next little while, but Jack didn't have many complaints about that, despite the small spaces in Taylor's apartment. He'd reaffirmed that Taylor hadn't lost interest in him after learning about his relationships with Moira and Stesha, and the two of them had spent a pleasant little afternoon while together. Truthfully, he wasn't at all sure what he could offer Taylor's research...but he could at least make her feel better. And with enough steam in the shower, the mirrors were delightfully fogged up.

Afterwards, he headed out in a towel to take a breather, glad his skin was now flushed pink and very warm. There were advantages to fooling around in the daytime; it was easier to repress certain urges. Right now, he didn't feel any guilt at all. "Hey Taylor, do they have defenses? I mean, I've known magical artifacts that can go from one dimension to another. Would they take it amiss these days if we just showed up there and asked to talk to Moira?"

Taylor had tucked one towel around her torso and was using a second to dry her hair. She looked up at him, her eyes widened slightly at the thought of just marching up to Olympus, "Defenses? In a way, I suppose they have defenses. It's risky for mortals to go striding up to the shining gates, not so much out of a certain death problem but more..."

She clicked her tongue, trying to find a way to phrase it. "In the seat of their power, they're the most dangerous and the greek gods in particular would love to get their hands on some human playthings. I actually think they'd be relatively welcoming, all things considered, but getting out of Olympus would prove much harder. They do miss contact with their worshipers."

"Mm, so bad idea." Jack leaned back, distracting himself with the pleasant sight of Taylor. He thought for a minute, scratching his chin. "You know, Scarab's mentioned to me that she knew Horus the Avenger back in the day." There had been some early miscommunication about the source of Jack's super-name. "I know that's a different pantheon and everything, but maybe they know each other's phone numbers?" He was a little out of his depth here. "Or maybe I'll just help you carry your spellbooks." He grinned slightly.

Taylor laughed and finished toweling her hair off, "It's always possible. With this particular pantheon, you're pretty safe going off of old myths. That's not always the case, but with the Greeks if you can remember high school mythology, it actually can help."

She tossed the towel over the rack to dry and followed him out into the living room. "I didn't want to get Stesha's hopes up too high, but they're no more allowed to snag a mortal woman off the street than they're allowed to wander around downtown Freedom. Travelling to Olympus is much the same, there are ways to do it, but Moira didn't really follow any of them. If we can make the arguement that she belongs here, we should at least be able to argue that she has the right to return. If nothing else, we can try and 'win' that right back."

Taylor's smile dimpled her cheeks, "The caveat to that is even if I'm right, her family is going to cheat."

"Like what, the Olympics?" asked Jack, his eyebrows furrowing. His knowledge of Greek mythology mostly came out of Hercules and Xena reruns, but he was a little embarrassed to admit that around his well-read girlfriend. "If so, I just hope they don't make us wrestle lions or whatever they did in olden days." He quirked a smile. "I'd do it for a friend and everything, but I'd rather not fight off a Nemean lion or whatever."

Taylor tapped one finger against her lips with a thoughtful expression on her face, "Actually, very like the Olympics. I imagine that their pride would absolutely love the chance to have mortals competing for divine favor once more on Earth Prime. That's not a half-bad idea."

She grinned and wrinkled her nose at him, "We'd just have be very careful in the wording of it all. Fortunately for all of us, there are very few hydra or manticores wandering about in this day and age."