Deflecting and Catching Slow Projectiles

Shadowboxer

I was wondering how an unpowered character (like Nightrival) can pull off a stunt like snagging thrown weapons or arrows in his hands. In Mastermind's Manual there is an option to use powers as feats, like purchasing the Deflect Arrows feat (p. 36) rather than having the Deflect power limited to slow projectiles.

As a sidenote, would some of the feats in Mastermind's Manual be available to players?

I was wondering how an unpowered character (like Nightrival) can pull off a stunt like snagging thrown weapons or arrows in his hands. In Mastermind's Manual there is an option to use powers as feats, like purchasing the Deflect Arrows feat (p. 36) rather than having the Deflect power limited to slow projectiles.

As a sidenote, would some of the feats in Mastermind's Manual be available to players?

I was wondering how an unpowered character (like Nightrival) can pull off a stunt like snagging thrown weapons or arrows in his hands.

By buying Deflect X (Slow Projectiles) [Power Feat: Innate], putting an appropriate descriptor on it (e.g. Fight Training, Kung Fu Reflexes, etc.), and using the "Catching Weapons" option (UP, 41).

In Mastermind's Manual there is an option to use powers as feats, like purchasing the Deflect Arrows feat (p. 36) rather than having the Deflect power limited to slow projectiles.

We are trying to keep the number of rulebooks to a minimum. And since the final product is the same, my vote is to stick to Core + UP (though it will cost you one more PP).

My vote would probably be no here too. Most of the feats rely on optional rules (proficiency, opportunity, reputation, etc.) that we don't use anyway. Which feats did you have in mind?

I was wondering how an unpowered character (like Nightrival) can pull off a stunt like snagging thrown weapons or arrows in his hands.

By buying Deflect X (Slow Projectiles) [Power Feat: Innate], putting an appropriate descriptor on it (e.g. Fight Training, Kung Fu Reflexes, etc.), and using the "Catching Weapons" option (UP, 41).

In Mastermind's Manual there is an option to use powers as feats, like purchasing the Deflect Arrows feat (p. 36) rather than having the Deflect power limited to slow projectiles.

We are trying to keep the number of rulebooks to a minimum. And since the final product is the same, my vote is to stick to Core + UP (though it will cost you one more PP).

My vote would probably be no here too. Most of the feats rely on optional rules (proficiency, opportunity, reputation, etc.) that we don't use anyway. Which feats did you have in mind?

The Refs decided to handle them on a case-by-case basis. Post here if there's a feat you are interested in.

I was also looking into taking Extraordinary Effort as a feat, if I could.

I would be opposed to this. In my opinion, the last thing a game that contains a heavy dose of PvP needs is yet another way to end a fight with one punch. Extraordinary Effort is just that.

Other Refs? Thoughts?

The Refs decided to handle them on a case-by-case basis. Post here if there's a feat you are interested in.

I would be opposed to this. In my opinion, the last thing a game that contains a heavy dose of PvP needs is yet another way to end a fight with one punch. Extraordinary Effort is just that.

Other Refs? Thoughts?

Other Refs? Thoughts?

I'm of a similar mind about it. It would mean that the person who wins initiative has an even greater advantage in a fight, since they'd have the option to use extra effort 3 times before the other person could act. If those were all surges, a person could be attacked four times before getting even a single chance to respond. That's not fun, and I wouldn't want someone to buy it as a feat and not be able to use it because it could easily be abusive.