Star Crossed Lovers [IC, closed]

There is a cacauphony of grunts and thump followed by a lound clang as the thugs and car fall from the sky. Dark Stars gravtic sense reveal that the majority of the thugs seem to have handled the fall without difficulty though three land poorly and lose conciousness.

As the wave of radiation eminates outward from Dark Star the targeted weapons heat up in their wielders hands, the simple automatic the young man has been using jams and he drops it with a curse. Unfortunately the advanced polymers and casing of the alien weapons seem resistant to the energies poured forth and remain unharmed.

Moments later the apparent leader of the unruly bunch can be heard shouting, "Get the wounded and get clear we'll regroup at rendezvous alpha."

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arrowhawk turned, and pulled out an arrow he rarely used. Pulling a small tag from the end, he fired the arrow towards the leader's voice, where the arrow exploded in a small cloud of stinging tear gas over anyone within its range. "Everyone, stand down, and you won't be hurt! Resist, and you'll be taken by force!"

As Arrowhawk preps and knicks his specialty arrow the smoke lights up with fire from the strange alien rifles. A burst narrowly misses Arrow hawk but his concentration on a well placed shot is un-interupted. Two more bursts go wide of any target deeply scoreing angry furrows in the facade of a nearby building. The final burst finds its target and slams into Dark Star with deadly accuracy.

"I'm getting really tired of being ignored over here!" Edge fired his grappling gun and swung up onto the car, landing there and focusing in on himself for a moment. "Hey, you thugs! You know what? Maybe I can't see you, but that doesn't mean I can't hit you!" He concentrated at that, deciding it was time to push himself a little. With great good luck, a strong wind blew up at that point, dispersing the smoke all around them and clearing the air enough for him to see. He grinned at that, and concentrated hard, accidents erupting all around him as guns went haywire, thugs punched themselves in the face by accident, and everyone outside of the car and the heroes around him took a beating.

• 2 weeks later...

As the car crashed to the ground, metal groaned and parts that were likely essential to the operation of the vehicle bounced around the pavement. Blink grunted with the jolt which gave her away to the woman in front of the car. There were only seconds to gain the woman's trust, if not things would get really ugly really quick. She didn't want to disable the guy in the front, besides the idiot might actually hit one of the heroes with that hand cannon he was waving excitedly about.

"Sorry, I hitched a ride... I should have said something, but you were like so lovey dovey that... oh, never mind! Those guys are shooting at us, let's get out of here."

The woman in the front looked at her suspiciously for a moment, but fresh gunfire and the acrid smoke were ample persuasion. She lept out of the back, taking the other girls hand began to run for the nearest alley.

The young man in the car was too busy cowering to notice the Girls fleeeing the car as soon as he did he shouted a soulfull "Natasha! Wait!" at their rapidly retreating backs.

The seeming leader of the group stumbled and hacked in the cloud of gas unleashed by Arrowhawk but managed to fire a burst of energy towards Dark Star despite his distress though it seemed more in an effort to force the ghostly hero into cover than to actually harm him.

Arrowhawk spun to see the girls fleeing the car. Escape? Heh. He balanced himself perfectly, before nocking and firing a hail of arrows at their backs in quick succession, hoping to at least stun them long enough to catch up with them. The trouble was that this meant he wasn't focussing on anyone else...

Dark Star gestured, sending the thugs who were still conscious, rocketing upwards as gravity reversed itself. He let the gravity changes end after a moment, letting them fall once more. He was getting mightily tired of those guns. Of course, his main attention was focused elsewhere...

"ARROWHAWK!! What are you doing?!? Those two woman are unarmed!" To say that Dark Star and Arrowhawk didn't exactly see eye-to-eye very often was something of an understatement.

"Hey!" Edge's sense of honor is outraged at the sight of a would-be superhero opening fire on fleeing civilians, especially girls! This is what happens when people from the 90s don't retire, he thought dismissively. You get people who have no idea what's going on! He fired his grapple gun and swung, leaving the car behind and landing among the two fallen ladies. "Are you guys okay?" He knew very little about medicine, but he could try to help, anyway!

As Edge touched down lightly in front of her, Blink looked at the hero for a moment, feigning shock. Frankly, she was stunned that one of the heroes had fired on the two of them. Although, she didn't exactly know what kind of record the girl had. Perhaps she'd had a run in or two with the law before.

Genuinely wincing a bit, Blink nodded at Edge, "I'm ok... I just wanted to get away. Please, help me get her out of all the shooting."

While she could have hefted the girl on her own, she struggled to lift the unconscious girl and started to lift and drag her towards the cover of the buildings. As she did, thoughts raced through her mind.

Soon the authorities would be arriving, and her squad was already likely done for. They were pretty cool characters and she always made sure not to leave any identifying information with them. Assuming they sat tight, she would see about getting the mob's lawyers to spring them as soon as possible. There were always legal technicalities, and if anyone could find them, the mob could. The soldier in her regretted the necessity to leave them, but this wasn't a war zone, and at worst they'd be looking at a few months cooling their heels... if they spent any time at all.

The more she thought about it, the boyfriend was likely packing an illegal weapon and would be headed to jail. The girl would be returned to her parents, and it looked very likely that whomever had shot her, would have some legal issues. It wasn't conventional... but it did meet the criteria for the job. The boy and girl were separated, and the irony is that the legal system would do the rest for her. If she could keep her cool, she'd get her payout.

It was a shame, she considered while pulling at the unconscious girl. She longed to battle, to strive and compete with these heroes. She could see that the one before her was competent and trained... of course the fact that he was cute didn't hurt at all. Desire was one thing, money was another.

Dark Star flew over, leaving Arrowhawk to deal with the last criminal. He'd be back to check on the man in a moment but he, like Edge, was concerned for the two women. Dark Star shook his head at the woman. "I'm sorry ma'am, but I can't let you leave. Obviously the three of you," he nodded to the unconscious woman and the man fighting behind, "were involved in some serious violence. Combined with that hit squad with suspicious weaponry, there are quite a lot of questions to answer. I'm sorry, but you have to stay. Let me just help this young woman and then I can treat your injuries as well. Afterwords, you can answer questions." He reached out, emitting some regenerative regeneration flow into the unconscious girl. Despite his words, the 3 of them were no saints. Between setting a car bomb and attempting to shoot Dark Star, they were certainly going answer questions both before and after they were turned over to the police.

Stumbling out of the cloud the leader of the thugs manages to clear the tear gas out of his system enough get a steady shot. He opens fire unleashing a bright red ray of energy that he tries to sweep over Dark Star and Edge however the intrepid heroes manage to evade the blast. His last ditch effort to get Blink clear a failure he bolted down the ally fireing a few parting shots that scored the side of the buildings as he went. Hopefully he could draw the heroes away from the target long enough for the contractor to fulfill the mission.

Torn in many different directions, Edge settled on the most obvious. "Mr. Dark Star! I think we've got a problem!" He significantly glanced in the direction of the big bully with the bows, trusting that his teacher would be able to pick up on the source of his concern. Dark Star wasn't a terribly observant guy, but at the very least he'd be able to get that guy out of the way before the crazy archer opened fire on him, too. "It'll be okay," he reassured the two women he was with, "everything's going to be fine. The heroes are here." And with that, he concentrated, this time on the angry young man Arrowhawk had just knocked down.

• 2 weeks later...

Blink looked around at the heroes, keeping her face a planned mask of fear and panic. Running wasn't much of an option, the flying hero seemed to be able to levitate people against their will. Certainly, they wouldn't get too far on foot. Yet there were always options.

Grabbing the girl's hand she pulled gently, but firmly back, "he's ok... don't run out there in case people start shooting again."

Then she stepped closer and whispered in the girls ear, "if jail is not a place you want to end up, please trust me. I only want to look out for your best interest, but I'll need your cooperation and help."

With the message quickly and discreetly given, she turned to Edge while pulling the girl back towards the cover of the buildings, "oh thank you... I mean the people started shooting... and the car fell from the sky... and someone tried to blow it up too! We'll answer any questions that you have, but can we do it while not standing right in the middle of the street in case they come back?"

Keeping a hold of the girls hand, she started to pull her steadily back towards the buildings lining the dockside district. As she did so, she darted her head from side to side as if looking for more thugs. Additionally, she made a good pretense of trying to shield herself behind Edge as she moved.

The woman was clearly shaken by these events and clung to Blink nervously as she followed her towards the buildings. In the street the young man was getting beligerant. He picked himself up of fthe ground and turned on Arrowhawk, "What the hells wrong with you, you freak, you get your jollies dressing up and shoot at girls?" he yelled at the dark clad hero gesturing menecingly.

Dark Star looked over at the two woman. "Don't move please. I would hate to have to restrain you both." He turned back to Arrowhawk and the bruised man. "You will also stop this immediately." He might have directed his words to the man for the most part, but Arrowhawk was included. This criminal was no match for the archer, by any stretch of the imagination. "Now, you will calmly explain what is going on here. And please don't attempt to lie. We will notice." Well, he wouldn't and he knew it. But Arrowhawk was much more devious than he would ever be.

• 2 weeks later...

Blink nodded in what she hoped was a sincere fashion at Dark Star. While the ambush failed, she was withing touching distance of the target. All that remained was convincing her that getting away quickly was in her best interest. She sat down on the curb of the street, pulling the girl down next to her.

"Look," Blink whispered in the girl's ear. "We need to get out of here, and quickly. You know that they're going to set us up for the whole thing. I can get all of us out of here before they notice. All you have to do is agree. Don't say anything, just nod and we'll be gone before they know what happened."

She squeezed the girl's shoulder, willing her to agree to travel in Blink's unorthodox manner. Of course, she had no intention of taking the boy with her. That wasn't part of the deal and frankly she wasn't too thrilled with what her employers might do to him. Besides, she reasoned more to convince herself, he'd likely be sprung from anything they tried to pin on him and might even get to press his own charges for assault.

"Sir. Desist with the foul language and the yelling. We are trying to determine what happened. And may I remind you before you get too self-righteous that you attempted to blow up a car and shoot me in the chest. Settle down." Dark Star shook his head and address the two women. "Ladies. I think I was clear? No one will be blamed for something they didn't do. But quite a lot of violence just took place and we need to figure out what happened. So, unless you can travel significantly farther than I can in a moment, you will not be going anywhere. I am trying to help. So please. What is going on?"