Putting You on the Map (IC)

Geez3r

The Fens. Most of the rumors about the place were spot on, the rest were painting a better picture than the place deserved. The place was seedy, dirty and the worst place in Freedom to call home, but for many this was reality. Just ordinary people down on their luck just trying to get by, and maybe, just maybe make something of their lives. People are scared to walk the streets at night because they never quite know what's around the next bend. But recently, there's been something else to be afraid of on the streets. Rumor has it, that's there's some kind of big red monster terrorizing the street gangs. Every couple of days a group of gangsters will turn up beaten and battered, but rarely with anything broken.

Some people don't believe the rumors, but others are intrigued by this urban Big foot.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As nasty as they were, the Fens were where all the action was these days. And like a good party, Breakdown wasn't one to miss out. "Big red monster, huh?" He said out loud from his vantage point on top of a roof. He slurped through the straw on a fast food soda. "Well let's see what this big 'ol red guy is all about. I'm hoping if I sit here long enough watching some of these thugs, then maybe I'll actually catch a glimpse of Bigfoot or something."

*sluuuuuuuuuuurrrp*

"Worth a try, right?"

Mongrel Angel wasn't a hero you saw much outside of Port Regal, Riverside and the areas nearest those. But this rumour sounded like it might be worth investigating, or at least fun, interesting and a chance to meet up with any other heroes who'd probably also see what substance there was to this monster.

At the moment she was simply on the ground, walking the streets of the area. She knew she wasn't stealthy enough to try sneaking, either on foot or on wing, and figured she might as well go plain-clothes and hide in plain sight so to speak. After all, with her wings out of the way any anything resembling a costume tucked away in 'special' pocket she shouldn't arose much suspicion, but possibly some interest.

Dark Star wasn't particularly good at the rumor thing, though his companions often were. But when he heard of the rumor, he decided to take a few passes over the area now and again to see what he could see. He wasn't really expecting a monster or coming to deal with one. He had dealt with too many different species to jump the gun. Who knew what this rumor actually referred to? Hopefully this would be a pleasant experience.

"Eeey, chicha! What's a pretty girl like cho wandering the streets alll alone?" Mongrel Angel has apparently caught the attention of the local community. The three thugs are dressed in regular street clothes but all have some red article of clothing prominently displayed, and the all have several matching tattoos. The speaker is by far the smallest of the group, with the other two looking like dumb muscle. "How's about we take you someplace safe to stay the night? For your own protection."

"Oh boy!" Eddie sighed. This didn't look good. A girl had just approached the group of thugs and now they were surrounding her. "Damnit! Every time I try to see something cool! Good thing I got my throwin' cup!" He threw the soda off to the side in frustration.

A few quick teleports later took him to street level where he looked on at the situation from an alleyway. He decided that it would be best to be able to respond quickly in case something went wrong.

The thugs were right though... That girl is pretty good looking...

Wait a second... What is that in the other alleyway across the street! ...It looks like...a pair of eyes? AWESOME!!!

Dark Star flew down, noticing the potential problem. The girl might be in trouble and wouldn't just let that pass. But the arrival of a teleporting teenage showed that he wasn't alone in observing the situation. He silently floated down into the alley, maybe twenty feet above them all when he noted the eyes curiously. He made no move to act, nor was he particularly trying to conceal his presence but there had been no crime yet. Perhaps those three gentlemen would realize their error before committing it. And if not, he would intervene before the young lady could be harmed.

It seemed as if the thugs were the only ones on the street who had no idea what was about to happen. Sometimes, it was just really fun to watch karma work. A guttural growl and the groan of metal was the only warning the thugs got before a large dumpster was slammed over head, much like you would do to a spider with a mug. A single red hand about the size of a man hole cover is gripping the top of the dumpster (technically the bottom of the dumpster because it's upsidedown) with the metal visibly bent around the fingers, apparently from crushing it with super human strength. The grating sound of metal is heard as the dumpster is dragged back into the alleyway, along with the muffled cries of the thugs trapped inside.

"You... alright?" growls a voice from within the alleyway. You can see the outline of a behemoth of man in the alleyway. At least 9 feet tall, and if his arm is any indication, jacked beyond all reason.

He's real! Breakdown's eyes went wide. But if he really is the monster that everyone has been saying he is then those thugs are in trouble!

Breakdown rushed out from his hiding place to stand next to the girl in the street. "Don't you hurt them!" He yelled, pointing at the creature in the alleyway. "Get behind me." He glanced at the girl. "Let a hero handle this!"

Breakdown adopted a defensive posture, and simply waited to see what the thing from the alley would do.

It's huge! He thought as the sweat poured down his forehead. What the hell am I doing?!

Dark Star floated silently while the girl talked. Apparently she was unconcerned about the thugs, bespeaking of some hidden confidence and skills perhaps. When the dumpster slammed down, Dark Star actually nodded to himself. Considering the apparent stength of the red skinned giant, it was actually quite restrained and maybe even thoughtful.

He glanced below him as the young man nobly but needlessly put himself in front of the young woman. It was time to make himself known. "Calm yourself young man. This man has made no threatening advances. Indeed he inquired as to her well being," he said. He lowered himself off to one side, calm and relaxed. "Perhaps a more welcome introduction is more in order and less asumptions," he said.

"Yes, I'm alright." Mongrel didn't have time to say anything else before the two others appeared on the scene. She bristled at the youths 'Let a hero handle this' even though she realised it was bit stupid to react that way. He was after all acting seemingly entirely on what could be called chivalrous and heroic instinct, or selfless stupidity if one was feeling malignant.

The second newcomer, mostly visibly by what he obscured through his silhouette, seemed a bit more thoughtful. "I agree, our big red friend hasn't done anything to deserve hostility from us at least."

"But I do like to see whoever I'm talking to, so if you'll excuse me." Alex took a step forward and raised her right hand, then called forth her Soulfire to bring at least a bit more light to the scene, and incidentally establish that she wasn't just an innocent bystander here.

Atlas was quite confused as to how so many people came out of the wood work so fast. Thankfully he managed to wipe the deer in the headlights look off of his face before the place was lit up with the Soulfire. As he is lit up, you realize the "monster" description was pretty close to spot on. He's truly massive, nearly double the height of those gathered here, and at least 3 times as wide. His neck starts and ends at his ears. His body is sculpted as if there is more muscle in his body than it was meant to contain, and as a result all of his veins and tendons look like they're fit to burst. There's a savage beauty about it, like how some people find sharks to be magnificent creatures.

Atlas for his part looked a little disappointed by this turn of events. He pushed the dumpster a bit further into the alleyway, and then used it as a chair, which apparently didn't sit well with the thugs still inside of it*. "Where I am from, it is rude to demand that someone introduce themselves without first introducing yourself. The leaping from roof top part is American tradition, I think." the creature adds with a smile. Wait, did the creature have a Russian accent?

*Pun intended.

A lot of things happened very fast. The girl he had moved to protect all of a sudden didn't seem so vulnerable. Another hero appeared almost out of thin air... and then a giant red monster started talking at him.

Needless to say he was quite taken aback. He realized he made himself look like an idiot. Note to self: Actually find out what's going on before you rush into a situation next time...

He straightened up out of his fighting stance, realizing there was no fight. "I...Uh...Sorry." Breakdown floundered "My name's Breakdown." He delivered a sort of mock salute to the big red monster, not wanting to get any closer than he already was. He simply nodded to the other two that seemed to be fellow heroes, though the expression he used when greeting the girl had, "My bad!" written all over it.

Dark Star nodded. "Indeed. My sincere apologies for the rudeness. I did not mean to imply a demand of any kind, just to calm the situation. I am called Dark Star. And you are?" He looked around and address that to everyone since he wasn't familiar with any of them.

"Is fine. I learned long ago you Americans are too active. If there isn't a car chase or explosion you think something is wrong." He gave a small chuckle. "I'm Atlas..." he gets off the dumpster and lifts it up with one hand again, standing at full height to address the thugs "And I don't EVER see you again." As the thugs wisely scamper off realizing they are both outnumbered and horribly out gunned, Atlas looks at Breakdown critically for a moment. "You have good heart. But unless you use this..." Atlas taps his temple with his giant hand "...all it is is big target."

Breakdown nodded slowly at the huge man. "You know... I came down here expecting to find a monster." He crossed his arms across his chest. Smiling he wagged a finger at atlas. "I'll have you know you've disappointed me! You're no monster at all." He shook his head, watching the thugs scamper away.

"I'm pleased to meet you Atlas, and thanks for the advice."

Atlas chuckles for a moment. "You caught me in good mood. Normally I'd smack you for being stupid." Atlas holds up his left hand in prime back hand position for emphasis. You can't tell if he's joking or if he would really thump ya one. "Now... we might have some work to do. Those thugs just went to go tell their friends about the big scary monster. I wouldn't want their friend to think they are crazies." He adds cracking his knuckles, which sounds like muffled gun shots.

"They are... what is word?... people who transport and sell weapons. They moved here not long ago. They had yet to get foothold in the area. I will stop them from doing so. If we can move them without fighting, that is good. But we will probably fight them. The last thing we need is more weapons on street. Will you help me?"

• 4 weeks later...

"Okay, but be quick. We don't want them to get ahead. And I can't stay like this too long." Not one for elaboration, Atlas leapt up onto one of the nearby buildings in the general direction of where the thugs were last headed. He did the occasional leap after the thugs when they got too far away, using a bird's eye view to find them again before he landed.

Dark Star nodded. "If it will be easier Miss, I can carry you while you change. Given the concealment I can provide you will not have to worry about observation." He looked around, hovering for a moment as he extended his concealment powers around the other heroes. As soon as everyone was ready, they followed along with the massively muscled hero.