My Fair Lady

angrydurf

"Not so terrible at all, in fact," Taylor replied with a tiny grin, pleased to have pulled one over on the older hero. She accepted the bags from Saundrine with a small wink and, once they stepped outside, flashed them to her storage space with a gesture. With her hands free, she tucked them in her pockets and cocked her chin up at Ace with a curious expression. "Where to now?"

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Well we could stop for breacfast or move on to get you some eveningwear and date attire." Ace replied smothly. "Theres a number of good shops around and an excelent cafe just down the block." Ace offered his arm as he spoke and arched a questioning eyebrow "Preferance?"

"We should eat on your time table. I don't need to anymore. I can, though." For all of her irritation at the high handedness, it would have been rude to dismiss his offer of brunch. She threaded her arm through his and took in the sights as he led her to wherever he intended to go.

"Well no need to waste time then." Ace said with a smile as he headed for a brightly lit botique displaying an assortment of flowing evening gowns.

Upon steping into the store a handsome dark haired man stepped up and inquired in a thick accent, "How may I be of service today Monsuier Danger?"

Ace took a seat and gestured to Taylor explaining, "The lady is in need of your talents Jean-Paul." He paused as the man puffed up a bit, "I'll have a capuccino."

With snap from Jean-Paul another young attendant provided the requested drink while Jean-Paul looked Taylor up and down with a calulating eye.

"And be nice Jean-Paul, she's a friend." as Ace spoke he emphasized friend elisiting a roll of Jean-Pauls eyes and dismisive shake of the effete mans head, but his expresion gentled none the less.

"And what kind of event is the lady to be attending?" Jean-Paul inquired though it was unclear if he was speaking to Ace or Taylor.

"I'm not quite sure," Taylor admitted, glancing at the dresses in the window. They appealed to the part of her that had watched old movies and loved the glitz and glamour but she was realist enough to doubt that she'd ever be able to pull that off. Even in the tallest heels, no one would call her statuesque. "Ace showed up on my doorstep to do this Auntie Mame thing, so I really have no idea what he has in mind. I do think that is stunning, however."

She gestured to a white fall of silky fabric that was gathered at the throat in a halter and entirely backless.

"It is a beautiful piece," Jean Paul replied as he pulled it and several other light drapey designs.

As he brought them over to Taylor he added, "It will work to show off his latest piece of arm candy."

The snooty Frenchman proceded to hold up the dresses in rapid succession as Ace reminded him, "I said nice Jean-Paul." then went back to his coffe.

After Saundrine, the assumption people kept seeming to make was a little less disconcerting. A laugh bubbled out of Taylor's throat and she said, not unkindly, "If Ace wanted arm candy, he could get plenty that he doesn't need to help dress themselves. He was my uncle's good friend and feels an overwhelming need to make sure I don't embarass myself in public with a casual pant suit."

Here at least, Taylor was a bit more confident with expressing her opionions, although she was always polite in expressing her opinions. She wasn't the type to be bowled over and dressed up in something she didn't care for. The dresses were all gorgeous, but Taylor had a definate retro asthetic coming out in her opinions.

Whether Aces reminder or Taylors explanation Jean-Paul cleaned up his attitude. He set aside the dresses and took a thourough set of measurements with quick and efficient movements. Once finished he headed off into the back of the shop without a word and Ace patted the seat next to him.

"It may take him a bit, I recomend the Capuccino," He said when the other young attendant inquired after refreshments, "You have a good eye Taylor." Ace complemented her as they waited.

Taylor eyed him, trying to decide if it was false flattery but she actually somehow doubted it. Ace was just to suave to need to lie. If he wanted to compliment her, he could find a much more convincing half-truth than any outright lie.

"Thank you," she said, finally and accepted the cappucino. "I've always liked what people tend to call vintage. It's a kinda rude term to span several decades of clothing but I like the look and lines of the 1940s. I suppose that's why I started on the bomber jacket and fedora thing in high school. My folks always thought I was the odd one."

She smiled humourlessly. They had no idea just how odd she was for the family of scientists.

Ace lauged softly, "Indeed parents always have trouble with chidren who don't quite fit the mold." he said a smile dancing at the edge of his lips.

"So I take it your family doesn't know?" Ace inquired, "What you do that is, not your penchant for clothing of a more civilized era."

Taylor shook her head firmly, "No, its just- It's too dangerous for them to know. And..."

Her voice trailed off Ace had an almost surprisingly easy air about him. It was easy to talk to him about things. Easier than Taylor had anticipated, "They'll look at me differently, if they knew. I'd rather not face the concern in their eyes." Or worse, fear.

"I think we both know what a lie the first reason is," Ace said matter of factly but not with any malice, "Others knowing may put them in danger but them not knowing leaves them unprepared." He spoke softly and with a hint of real concern in his voice.

Affectionately patting taylors leg he moved on to the trikier subject of her second reason, "But they will look at you differently," He paused for a moment a far off look in his eyes, "That is never going to get easier but you have to ask yourself if you trust them to accept you for who you are or not." He glanced sideways at her almost expectantly.

"I don't want them to have to be prepared. I don't want them to spend nights worrying when I'm unreachable that this is the time I've gotten smashed into paste by a demon. I do this work so that the people I love are safe in their beds at night." Taylor retorted firmly, "What good is all this power if I'm unable to protect the people I love most on this earth."

She turned her face away from Ace's too intense stare, "Maybe I think the illusion is a better daughter for them than the reality."

"You do a diservice to both them and yourself with that kind of thinking." Ace replied, "Its no business of mine so I'll only say to really think if you are doing it for them or for you." And true to his word he left it at that.

Jean-Paul soon returned and Ace stood to examine his suggestions passing roughly half on for Taylors approval.

"You do have good heels right?" He asked as if he had not but hours ago ransacked her closet.

"I have heels," Taylor said doubtfully as she looked at the elegant creations. "A pair of wedge sandals and a pair of black heels. That's pretty much it."

She sorted through the dresses, holding them up to her neck in front of the mirror. Sadly, real life didn't work like a fairy tell, she was still going to look just like Taylor. Maybe no-one would notice her and just look at the dress...

"Ah well thats a good base to expand from." Ace replied.

Seeing the slight downcast of Taylors features he smiled good naturedly telling Taylor, "Tailoring will take care of that, you will look resplendant I promise you."

And if he had anything to say about it she would. Jean-Paul for all his personal failings was one of the best and the dresses acentuated her good features while makeing those areas of her greatest concern seem to fade away lost in the delicat folds of the dresses.

Taylor slanted him a doubtful look and pointed out, "If I ever had occasion to way a ball gown, I imagine I would have bigger things to worry about."

She fingered the fabric for a moment before she returned to Ace's side. If everything had gone as planned, she would have plenty of occasions to wear any number of fancy dresses. She'd been on the fast-track to serve as a premier interpreter and translator. It wasn't out of the realm of possibility to attend ambassadorial functions in that regard. Now, she'd be lucky to finish school.

"I'm sure everything will be lovely."

"That would be the point and purpose." Ace said with a friendly smile as Jean-Paul took the preffered gowns back to be tailored.

Turning to the other assitant while Jean-Paul was away Ace whispered, "We'll return for the finished pieces shortly." And hustled Taylor out of the shop looking nervously behind him as he hurried down the street Taylor in tow.

"He's an excelent Tailor and designer but a complete boor, and would have tried to invite himself along." Ace explained as they went.

Ace glanced at Taylor tersely but didn't respond to her barb, "Shoes." He said with a smile turning down a narrow street away from the mass of botiques they had previously been wandering past.

"My good friends Antoni and Bernadette maintain a shop down this way," He said with quick gesture down the street, "Not quite as ritzy as some places but quality goods."

"So who's the young man?" Ace inquired gently, he already had a pretty good idea but wanted to hear Taylors take.

"He's a rare individual that I don't have to worry about Phantom getting in the way of," Taylor said, letting him take her arm with that old-world style he exuded so easily. She poked the arm with her free hand, "And that's all the personal information you're getting on him. Some people do that secret identity thing, remember?"

Taylor sighed, "Yes, same fellow as the observation deck. I know you have better things to do than watch other people have dates outside your window. As a matter of fact we have a date to go to the movies in the not-so-distant future."

She stopped as they came to a shop with strappy high shoes on graceful pedastals in the windows, "This is 'not ritzy'?"

"Well I realize that it does lack your preffered signature location wedged betwixt an Orange Julius and Hot Topic, However yes this is not ritzy." Ace said dryly as he stepped inside and was nearly bowled over by an enthusiastic you lady who Screamed "ACE" as she flung herself into his arms. Dropping back to the floor she offered a well groomed curtsy to Taylor and a well dressed man a few years her senior followed behind embracing Ace briefly and giving him a quick kiss on each cheek.

Ace smiled warmly at the two of them then proceeded with introductions, "Taylor, this is Bernadette and Antoni. Antoni, Bernadette, this is Taylor Chun."

Taylor smiled and shook hands with the owners of the store. Ace's well-bred distaste of mall-shopping didn't phase her so much as amuse her. The only difference to her mind, was that the sole of a shoe here would likely take much longer to seperate from the body of the shoe and when it did need to be repaired, would probably cost as much as a regular pair of shoes to fix. Still, it was fun to see how the top two percent of the world lived.

"It's a pleasure. Ace has told me glowing things about your selection."