And They Called Me MAD! (IC)

The third man-sized blob explodes, showering the area with slime and gunk.

As RRG goes deeper in, he is attacked by more blob, housecat-, dog-, and person-sized, but all are quickly destroyed through a combination of speed, science, and daka.

The apparent center of the "colony" was going to be a bit trickier.

There were about two dozen of the tiny, house-cast sized blobs, skittering about here and there. There were also about a dozen of the dog-sized ones, and about half as many of the people-sized ones, all creeping and seeping about.

They all surrounded a massive, elephant-sized blob which quivered and quaked in the middle of the clearing. One end of it was currently around a tree, which was quickly being dissolved.

The man-sized blobs charge towards RRG, moving about as fast as a running human, but are not able to cross the distance before he can react.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RRG got on the radio. "Ran into like 50 of them. This is gonna get ugly!" RRG stopped flying and planted his feet. The weapon system on his right arm came to life. There was no avoiding property damage this time. The creatures needed to be stopped right here and now. His signature weapon clicked into place, the Freedom Rocket. With a FWOOMP the rocket raced towards its target, the giant blob in the center, trailing white and blue smoke behind it. It detonated in the center of their formation with a massive THUD. Hopefully that had taken out most of them.

It is a beautiful sight, in its own way. The great roar of the explosion, the heat, the light, the squelching screams of the vaporizing blobs....

Well, except for the two human-sized ones which had been galloping towards RRG, they were clear of the blast.

In fact, all the human-sized ones seemed intact, though the others were not moving much. They were mostly intact, but not going through the death-throes he'd seen so many go through.

And the big one was still standing, too. It was swaying, and leaking goo everywhere, but it was in nowhere near enough pieces for RRG to be comfortable.

Unfortunately, as he was planning what to do next, the two blobs which had been rushing toward him reached him; one latched on to his left leg, the other to his right shoulder. Even more unfortunately, RRG was now realizing that his right shoulder seals had been compromised by repeated blob exposure, and this one was getting in!

"flllessshhhh.... joooiiinnnnn.... usss.... "

The kicked blob reels back a few feet, but is still up and about.

The elephant-sized Blob, and the three man-sized blobs which had been caught in the blast, all move towards RRG. Two move fast enough that, he calculates, they'll be close enough to strike if he does not soon move.

The two that are already at him strike, but both land only glancing blows.

"flllessshhhh.... joooiiinnnnn.... usss.... "

Rocket plants his feet back on terra firma, pulls back and decks the damaged blob creature with a right cross. "They're getting stronger over here. If I'm going to win this, I can't just being going through the motions. Let's see how they adapt." Rocket blasts off again, this time taking a wide circular path that puts him about 100 feet behind the massive blob creature. He would polish off the stragglers first and then get the forerunners while they charged at him.

The elephant-sized Blob quiver and shakes like an elephant-sized bowl full of jelly, but seems otherwise unphazed. It continues to advance.

"joooiiinnnnn.... usss.... "

The three man-sized Blobs in the middle are completely engulfed in explosion-y goodness. When the smoke clears, RRG can see two are down, but one still staggers about.

The blob on the far end seems to be leaking a bit more, but it still coming for RRG.

"flllessshhhh.... joooiiinnnnn.... "

"Good, I slowed them down. Which means I've got you all to myself." RRG says to the giant blob, although it can't understand him. Rocket focuses the energy in both of his palms and then releases it in a powerful wave which washes over the giant blob monster. This time, RRG stands his ground, confident that this blast would end it.

The closest Blob, one of the man-sized ones, ceases to exist; nothing is left but a small amount of steaming gunk, no bigger than a shoeprint.

In the tiny fraction of a moment RRG uses to congratulate himself, the battered and leaking elephant-sized blob surges through, pushing itself off a group of trees and hurling itself at the armored hero and slamming him with a monstrous pseudopod.

"flllessshhhh.... joooiiinnnnn...."

The one remaining active blob, one of the man-sized ones, continues to approach. Its got the heart of a champion... which RRG can see, half-digested, deep inside it.

The huge blob flows this way and that as it follows RRG around, trying to snare it. RRG's plasma blast hits one of the large holes which had already been torn in it, and the blob's contents boiled rapidly from the sudden influx of heat. It was rocked by several small explosions inside it, and then fell over, knocking over two trees as it did.

"flllesssssshhhhhhhhhhh.... *"

One lone blob remains active, slowly but determinedly staggering towards RRG.

"flllessshhhh.... joooiiinnnnn...."

The last blob exploded, showering the area with slime and chunks of... something.

Looking around, RRG could see the place was an absolute mess. And possibly still hazardous: where the dead blobs lays, their leaking fluids hissed and bubbled out onto the ground, dissolving leaves, branches, tree trunks, and chunky, non-oozey bits of their own bodies.

Something sparkling caught RRG's attention: a silver necklace, in one of what had been the medium blobs. As they continued to melt and seep into the soil, more metallic items appeared -- necklaces, rings, belt buckles, buttons, and so on -- now freed from being obscured by thick slime and partially-digested bits of the victims.

Rocket surveyed the area and caught his breath. Croaching over a piece of metal, Rocket got on his radio again. "Okay I'm still alive. Killed about 40 blobs just now. However, I have some bad news. I'm finding lots of metal in the remains of the creatures. Necklaces, belt buckles, watches, that sort of thing. But, no way all this stuff came from 4 people. I think there have been more victims. Possibly many more victims. People who've just been devoured entirely. These creatures seem to devour any organic matter, plants, animals and people. I'm going to start heading deeper into their colony.... If you lose contact with me, assume the worst. Rocket out."

From what RRG can tell, that was the center of the colony. As he travels out, he finds a few more man-sized blobs, which quickly fall to him; further out he finds dog- and then housecat-sized ones. The slime coats on the trees also get thinner and less frequent, until at last he barely sees any slime on any trees.

He gets the sense that he can clean these up, here and now, as long as he kept his wits about him and didn't let them surprise and swarm over him. It'd take a few hours to make sure he got them all, though.

RRG gets on his radio to the Police. Something wasn't adding up. These blob creatures had to come from some where... "Alright. I think that was most of them. I can do a clean sweep of the area, but that'll take a few hours. Has anyone else heard of or seen another colony? I haven't found out where these creatures are coming from, only that they were congregating here for some reason. Are there any other danger zones I should be aware of? Please respond."

Maybe there's something I'm missing. I've got a hunch that they're coming from the sewers. I should at the very least investigate that before I jet halfway across the city and leave the Promeneade undefended. Rocket darts about looking for a sewer grate or the like so he can clambor down in their for a better look, while praying that the suit hasn't yet been compromised; if for no other reason than the smell.

The first several sewer or water drainage access points he finds are too narrow for him to get very far in, and it's hard to tell if that bit of slime there or that puddle of goo there is something from a Blob monster or something non-blob-related. He does at last find one of the main branches of the drainage system, which has narrow ledges on either side of the rushing river of water and filth, and just tall enough that he doesn't need to crouch too much to walk around.

It's pitch dark down there. Good thing RRG's got darkvision.

[ Gimme a Notice check. ]

RRG finds most of a skeleton along one of the ledges. It's lying face-up, with the head end nearest you; its left arm and leg had been dangling in the rushing river but it appears they've been carried off. The skeleton is covered in translucent blob-slime.

"Be advised, he blob creatures may very well be using the sewers to navigate the city. I'll investigate further for confirmation." With that, Rocket goes mucking in the mud, heading against the flow of what he sorely wished was water. When this is all over, I'm going to have to burn this suit.