The job

cosmicarus

"Hold up there, Kirk! There could be more out there!" Heavy shouts. He doesn't actually believe that, but he figures that it's the best chance he has to keep him close without chasing after him. There are things you don't want to turn your back on. This is one of them.

Still, it looks distracted. Maybe his powers might actually have an effect against it. Heavy smiles to himself, trying to ignore the taste of vomit creeping up from his stomach. He punches harder than he shoots. It's time to see if knocking out the man in the middle causes everything to go back to normal. Well, the normal that doesn't have demons attacking.

Charging forward, Heavy unleashes a mighty blow. And by mighty blow, he wasn't kidding. It was a mighty blow indeed.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heavy indeed hits the giant Demon. His punch, however, seems to do nothing but wake the beast out of it's stupor.This close, Heavy can see something disturbing (well, moreso). The old man is smiling with the worst of intents, yes, but he also seems to be being digested by the beast! He bobs limply, looking out from the inside, his eyes full of malicious glee and yet he seems to be slowly dissolving from the outside in. Pieces of ragged flesh exist now where wrinkled skin used to be, but the man seems unmoved by his own plight.

The Beast shifts, bringing one of it's legs to bear, swatting the armoured villain with incredible force. The terrible music of despair that seems to accompany this creature rises to a cresendo as it attacks.

Kirk turns when Heavy yells at him, and though he ceases to flee outright, he falls onto his hands and knees, shuffling backward from the Demon.

Heavy takes the blow without stopping. For a moment, in his battle rage, he thinks he wasn't even injured. It's as he swings back out again to strike the creature that there's a twinge in his arm.

He hesitates for a moment, choosing to take his time (relatively), and not try to drop the demon with a single blow. Maybe his first blow was a lucky one; it certainly seems tougher than it appeared. He does make contact, though it may yet withstand this blow as well. Heavy glances about the room, looking for anything that might provide some help in the fight.

Heavy feels something give way when he hits the beastie this time. Still, the thing is standing strong and just as scary as ever. Looking around Heavy sees a number of things. Below him is the gurney that Kirk was supposed to be strapped to right about now. There is also a couple of heavy looking pieces of equipment near the bed - medical monotoring devices or something? He sees something else too - something disturbing. The room has begun to bleed. The very ground and walls have begun to peel away leaving scabby, rotten flesh behind. Looking back at the Demon, the creatures grotesque head seems suddenly as if it's only meters away and straight through Heavy's helm and into his soul, smiling with such evil intent. A voice, now nothing even resembling human, echoes through Heavy's mind, "Leave. Leave the man and keep your life. Stay. Stay and bear the divine sorrow of pain for eternity."

Kirk, the man in question, is unmmoving. It's entirely possible he's passed out from the shock. That's the hope, at least.

Heavy resists the urge to throw up. As bad as this is, he's seen worse in his day. He fought when Omega invaded back in 1994, and there, real people were dying all over the place. This 'blood from the walls' junk reminds him more of Evil Dead 2 than anything else.

"This is why I don't usually talk during fights," he answers the disembodied voice. "I don't want to sound as stupid as you do. I was willing to leave before you decided to turn into a demon. Now, the walls won't be the only things that bleed."

Staying in between the (unconscious?) Adam Kirk and the demon creature, Heavy follows up his boast with a hit that rattles the medical equipment with its power.

The attack does indeed made the room shudder; the crack from the blow echoes around the chamber, and for a moment after everything is quiet. The beast doesn't go down however, it rides the blow to the side before straightening up - it lookes like this might go for the full ten rounds. "Your choice is made." The beast pulls it's head backwards, it's gaping mouth stretching ridiculously and unnervingly wide. It's at this point that Heavy notices, or thinks he does, a rather strange phenomenon. Yhe beast blinks momentarily, as if it disappeared and reappeared in the blink of an eye. If this was the case, it seems that the beast didn't realise, and it continues with it's attack. It spews a large cone of black, seething energy from it's mouth which envelopes Heavy. From inside the inky blackness Heavy hears the scremaing of a thousand souls, and they seem to want to tear at his body.

While the oozing pus, bile, and assorted bodily fluids weren't enough to throw Heavy off his game, bringing in dead people freaks him out on a whole 'nother level. He grew up Catholic, and he's always known in the back of his head that he could end up going to hell for his sins. These damned creatures could be his future.

Even so, they won't be his present. Whatever they're trying to do to his flesh, he's strong enough to resist it. Despite the risk, he glances back towards Kirk. Hopefully, they won't be affecting innocents in the fight as bad as they affected Heavy. On the other hand, who is really innocent in this day and age?

He swings his head back forward and grits his teeth. He just gave a way for the demon to get at him - by going after Kirk. "Stupid!" he thinks to himself. He just isn't used to working with a partner, or protecting someone other than himself (maybe another supervillain at most). Normally, he'd just try to pin his opponents to the floor, but this thing is huge, and can probably take what he can throw at it.

A light bulb goes off, and he smiles. There's no need to hold back now. The man inside the demon is trying to kill him, and the demon - no telling if those sort of things were ever alive. Though he wouldn't be able to identify the concept of "double effect", Heavy has an intuitive understanding of it. It's time to bring down the thing before it can kill him, and do worse to Kirk.

The gray energy flows out from him. Instead of spreading out, as it did before, it pools around him, seeming to flow in towards his body and then back out again. It darkens, changing from gray to nearly black: a vague manlike shape barely visible underneath it. The sensation of power can be felt in the air, and small scraps of paper and random detritus from around the room are coming towards him. When it seems like it can go no further, Heavy runs up and punches at the demon, driving his fist forward as hard as he can.

• 6 months later...

Heavy's blow is unlike any he's every given! Not only is the large Demon before him unable to avoid the contact but Heavy can litterally see the creature's muscles shake violently from the extreme pressures placed upon it.

It roars out in pain as it quickly drops to the ground. The sound of it impacting the ground is almost enough to drown out its screams of rage. Heavy takes a step back to avoid the sudden collapsing and he can see it struggling to get back into a fighting position.

"Damn you! I will have your soul, mortal!" it roars out.

Again, the beast's body seems to blink momentarily, as if the damage done to it has weakened its hoold on the world. It seems to take the creature longer to stabilize than it did earlier. Somehow, the beast is fighting not only to destroy Heavy, but remain in the world as well.

Gravitic energy pulses around Heavy as he looks at the demon pinned to the ground. As frightening as the demon is trying to be, there's only so much you can do when you're stuck to the ground. Heavy doesn't underestimate him, though. That sort of an attack would have crushed a normal person (and probably some superheroes) into a pulp. That the demon still has strength and energy enough to curse him means that he'll have to try another tactic.

The demon's flickering gives him that new idea. Maybe it isn't supposed to be here. Gravity can bend space; might it also be able to bend it enough to send it to another dimension? He's never done this before, and only vaguely has a sense of how it'd work. All he knows is that he'll have to give up pinning it in order to try; there's no way he can split his concentration like that.

Before he attempts it, then, he grabs a hold of the demon as it lays on the ground, seeking to pummel it into submission.

"I may be damned, but not by you!" he shouts.

Heavy easily grabs a hold of the down demon but it takes him a short time to get a proper hold. The demon is still strong even after the drain and it takes a little effort before Heavy can turn his superior strength on it. As he pummels the demon he notes that his leverage isn' t good enough to deal a devastating blow.

"You're weak, mortal. Already I feel my strength returning."

Even as it speaks, Heavy feels the creature struggle against the force keeping him down.

"There's... more... than... strength..." Heavy says, grunting as he forces his suit to generate power in ways that were never intended. The demon is released from being pinned to the ground, but as Heavy struggles with him, the disruption that the demon was experiencing earlier is amplified by Heavy's struggles. Heavy does his best to hang on as the demon works against him. He can only hope that it will be enough. If he fails, he won't be the only one to die.

Heavy releases his hold on the demon just long enough for him to change his powers. The demon shows a slight return of strength as it recovers from the damage Heavy had done to it.

"You release me? Fool! Now you die!" it roars as the two continue to grapple.

Unfortunely for it, Heavy had attencipated the demon's movements and just barely manages to contain his hold upon the creature. Heavy's armor shudders at the strain of power but he feels the power start to reach out upon the held demon.

Suddenly, the demon begins to realize what was happening. As the power moved outside of Heavy's armor and around the demon, it began to panic.

"What? No! You can't!" it roars as the power begins to take ahold of the creature. The creature begins to blink more quickly than before as its hold on the world is slowly ripped apart by Heavy's outpouring of power. The room begins to shake as a dimensional rift is formed. Dark tendrils of mystical energy lashes out upon the demon and begins dragging it into the rift.

"NO! I WILL RETURN! I'LL HAVE YOUR SOUL FOR THIS!!!!!"

With a loud explosion of sound that sends Heavy flying slightly back, the rift closes leaving him alone with the unconcious Kirk.

Heavy staggers to his feet. He shakes his head as he listens to the words of the demon again.

"See, there's another benefit to being a villain. The heroes don't go and threaten to get your soul," he says to himself. He's tired from his exertions, and using the suit in ways that it was never intended. But then he looks over to Adam Kirk, and he knows that tonight, he won't have any trouble sleeping despite the demon's threat. This was the right thing to do, which isn't usually what he can say about his actions. What's more, he's also got the remnants of the demon's lair to use for himself. This might bear some looking into...

Heavy lifts Kirk up and puts him over his shoulder. He begins to fly out of the lair, hoping that he'll have a chance to speak with Kirk before he drops him off again.

Kirk's weight, while normally unnoticeable due to the power of Heavy's armor, feels like a ton of bricks. It's just another sign of the various strees that Heavy had put on the armor and his own efforts to fight off the demon. After some rest, Heavy knows things will be back to normal but only time will help.

Halfway back, Kirk roused from his sleep of the dead. He was slow to realize where he was but when he noticed he was moving, he screamed. "Ahh, no don't kill me!"

It takes a moment for Kirk to realize that it was Heavy that was holding him and not the demon. "Wha...what happened? Where are we?" he manages to yell over the sound of wind whipping by.

Heavy pauses before he speaks. It still doesn't feel right. The more people who know what his voice sounds like, the more people who could identify him later. But if there's anyone who he owes answers, it's Adam Kirk (or those other people's next of kin, a little voice in the back of his head whispers).

"The demon is gone. I'm taking you back to your mansion," Heavy says to Kirk. "It's... there's been an explosion there. It wasn't me, but it was someone I brought there. I didn't know what sort of man he was."

He's quiet for a short while, and Kirk might speak up again. After a moment of silence, he'll continue, "People died there. I'm not a good man. I came after you to kidnap you, but I wasn't going to let that thing kill you. I don't kill people." He sounds like he wants Kirk to believe him, and that he's convincing himself as much as he is convincing Kirk.

Adam Kirk listened to Heavy's words, not sure what to believe and not to. For one, he was still alive--that fact alone said a lot for the armored man carrying him through the air. On the other hand, he did admit to kidnapping him as well as bringing someone to his home. The events of the past few hours was still too much for Kirk to process and this admission or search for forgiveness just added to his confusion.

"O...okay. I believe you. You don't kill. The fact that I'm still breathing is proof of that. Just get me home. I want to forget this day as soon as possible."

Kirk goes silent for a moment and then as an idea crosses his mind, he speaks up in a worried voice. "You and I are cool, right? You're not going to try kidnapping me again are you?"

"There usually isn't much money in kidnapping," Heavy says. "Not in this country, anyway. That should have been a clue. But... what you asked: you and I are copacetic after this. Satori isn't. He's the man who attacked the people in your house. He and I will have business to deal with."

Sean doesn't expect the first part to comfort Kirk, once he thinks about it. He probably should have just stuck with "We are cool". Unfortunately, he's not thinking as straight as he normally would. Tonight has been a hard night, like something from the days of Moore, and it's bringing back bad memories.