The job

cosmicarus

"Just call me Heavy. There's a place not too far from here where we can search for where the guy lives," Heavy says. "I almost wish I had one of those 'guides to the stars' sorta maps right about now."

He glances down to Wrecking Ball, who's starting to move again. "Besides, might as well leave before he wakes up. He'll probably not be too happy when he does." Then, as the man crashes through the roof, he smiles behind his helm. "And neither will the employers, looks like."

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Just call me Heavy. There's a place not too far from here where we can search for where the guy lives," Heavy says. "I almost wish I had one of those 'guides to the stars' sorta maps right about now."

He glances down to Wrecking Ball, who's starting to move again. "Besides, might as well leave before he wakes up. He'll probably not be too happy when he does." Then, as the man crashes through the roof, he smiles behind his helm. "And neither will the employers, looks like."

/Definitely/ too squeamish. This will likely be a problem later. For now...

"Very well. You of course realize that obtaining and going to his home address is the obvious first move for some of our competitors. We will need to move with dispatch. Should our target not be there, I will need approximately ten to fifteen minutes in his house, without raising any alarm. This will be notably more difficult if there are... disputes... at the site in question. Shall we go?"

... a man too squeamish to finish off inconvenient competition is also one very unlikely to drop me from a height.

Satori steps up to Heavy, holding out his hand, visibly inviting Heavy to pick him up and fly to his 'place not too far from here'.

"Very well. You of course realize that obtaining and going to his home address is the obvious first move for some of our competitors. We will need to move with dispatch. Should our target not be there, I will need approximately ten to fifteen minutes in his house, without raising any alarm. This will be notably more difficult if there are... disputes... at the site in question. Shall we go?"

... a man too squeamish to finish off inconvenient competition is also one very unlikely to drop me from a height.

Satori steps up to Heavy, holding out his hand, visibly inviting Heavy to pick him up and fly to his 'place not too far from here'.

Heavy recognizes the gesture and lifts Satori up. He shows no more effort in doing so than Satori would to lift an infant. The feeling is somewhat disconcerting to those who aren't used to it, and he might not immediately notice that Heavy has lifted off. He begins to fly quickly, but not fast enough that Satori feels like his skin is about to tear off, or fast enough to create a sonic boom.

The two of them fly for about half a minute until Heavy lands in an alleyway that's north and east of where they began. He puts Satori down, then walks up to a dumpster. He pushes the dumpster aside, revealing a wooden door behind it. He opens it up, and gestures for Satori to head in. "There's a computer in there. I think that it goes over the radio from that Panera for the Internet. You type: these gauntlets are too big to press the keys easy, and I don't need to break the thing. It ain't mine."

Heavy recognizes the gesture and lifts Satori up. He shows no more effort in doing so than Satori would to lift an infant. The feeling is somewhat disconcerting to those who aren't used to it, and he might not immediately notice that Heavy has lifted off. He begins to fly quickly, but not fast enough that Satori feels like his skin is about to tear off, or fast enough to create a sonic boom.

The two of them fly for about half a minute until Heavy lands in an alleyway that's north and east of where they began. He puts Satori down, then walks up to a dumpster. He pushes the dumpster aside, revealing a wooden door behind it. He opens it up, and gestures for Satori to head in. "There's a computer in there. I think that it goes over the radio from that Panera for the Internet. You type: these gauntlets are too big to press the keys easy, and I don't need to break the thing. It ain't mine."

The /radio/? Battlesuit /operator/ then, not battlesuit /inventor/. I wonder who his technological sponsor is? Someone he does not want me to know about, obviously, or else he'd be using those facilities and I would not be here. Still, you would think he could merely use his suit radio. Hrm.

Satori flexes his fingers inside his skintight gloves and starts typing. At first a basic Google search for Adam Kirk's name, a perusal of his celebrity bio on E! online, then a text search among today's online newspapers (with an emphasis on gossip column mentions), and ending up with a search at the local county clerk's office. It only takes several minutes.

"Court documents are public records," Satori notes easily as he works through this process. "So are property records. Both of them are searchable online. So, now that we know what neighborhood, a namesearch of deeds filed in that neighborhood is one way to obtain an address, if he owns his house rather than renting a condominium or apartment. The other main method is that if he has ever been in court records for anything -- a minor or not-so-minor litigation, a traffic offense, filing for incorporation, et cetera -- the relevant filing should have his address. Cross-referencing that with the biographical synopsis I obtained from the newspaper archives and likely relevant legal events to search for... hmmmm."

Satori finishes his search and, pausing only to make a few swift notes on a small notepad, erases his browser history, flushes the cache, and shuts down the machine.

"Now, let us see..."

The /radio/? Battlesuit /operator/ then, not battlesuit /inventor/. I wonder who his technological sponsor is? Someone he does not want me to know about, obviously, or else he'd be using those facilities and I would not be here. Still, you would think he could merely use his suit radio. Hrm.

Satori flexes his fingers inside his skintight gloves and starts typing. At first a basic Google search for Adam Kirk's name, a perusal of his celebrity bio on E! online, then a text search among today's online newspapers (with an emphasis on gossip column mentions), and ending up with a search at the local county clerk's office. It only takes several minutes.

"Court documents are public records," Satori notes easily as he works through this process. "So are property records. Both of them are searchable online. So, now that we know what neighborhood, a namesearch of deeds filed in that neighborhood is one way to obtain an address, if he owns his house rather than renting a condominium or apartment. The other main method is that if he has ever been in court records for anything -- a minor or not-so-minor litigation, a traffic offense, filing for incorporation, et cetera -- the relevant filing should have his address. Cross-referencing that with the biographical synopsis I obtained from the newspaper archives and likely relevant legal events to search for... hmmmm."

Satori finishes his search and, pausing only to make a few swift notes on a small notepad, erases his browser history, flushes the cache, and shuts down the machine.

"Now, let us see..."

"Now, let us see..."

Heavy looks over Satori's shoulder, seeing what he's doing. The most important part is getting the name for himself.

"Adam Kirk," he muses. "Where are you now?"

He tries to see if he can remember anything about the actor, now that he has the name. "Check out Parkside and North Bay. Those are the fanciest neighborhoods, so he'll probably have his place there. Maybe Midtown, too, if he has a condo."

Heavy looks over Satori's shoulder, seeing what he's doing. The most important part is getting the name for himself.

He tries to see if he can remember anything about the actor, now that he has the name. "Check out Parkside and North Bay. Those are the fanciest neighborhoods, so he'll probably have his place there. Maybe Midtown, too, if he has a condo."

Satori nods thoughtfully, and surfs back to freedomcitysocialite.com.

"Pictures of his mansion... hrm. I have seen a mansion like that somewhere before, along Orbison Drive in North Bay. So. Which of our many possible leads was on Orbison Drive...?"

For almost a minute there is no sound except the soft tap-tap-tap of the keyboard, and then Satori continues in a satisfied tone of voice.

"There. That address is our starting point. And even if it proves to be erroneous, we can still do an aerial reconnaissance of this eight-mile stretch of Orbison Drive, to find /that/ specific mansion."

Satori again cleans up all traces of his using the computer, then shuts it off and turns to Heavy.

"Shall we go?"

"Pictures of his mansion... hrm. I have seen a mansion like that somewhere before, along Orbison Drive in North Bay. So. Which of our many possible leads was on Orbison Drive...?"

For almost a minute there is no sound except the soft tap-tap-tap of the keyboard, and then Satori continues in a satisfied tone of voice.

"There. That address is our starting point. And even if it proves to be erroneous, we can still do an aerial reconnaissance of this eight-mile stretch of Orbison Drive, to find /that/ specific mansion."

Satori again cleans up all traces of his using the computer, then shuts it off and turns to Heavy.

"Shall we go?"

"Shall we go?"

"Sooner the better. Let me just move that dumpster out of the way again, and we can get going," Heavy says. He's a man of his word, and he shoves it back into place once Satori is out. Shortly thereafter, the two of them are in the skies above Freedom City. Heavy's flight is silent, though Satori can feel the wake in the air as they pass. Whatever means Heavy is using to fly, they certainly aren't unnoticeable.

"You're going to have to point Orbison out to me. I don't come out this way much - too much security," he says. "Of course, for a few million, I can swing it. Heck, letting those other guys get there a little before us means that they can draw the heat instead of us." They're currently about a half-mile above the ground: high enough to avoid being spotted by casual observers, and low enough that they can see the mansions lit up in the dark.

"Sooner the better. Let me just move that dumpster out of the way again, and we can get going," Heavy says. He's a man of his word, and he shoves it back into place once Satori is out. Shortly thereafter, the two of them are in the skies above Freedom City. Heavy's flight is silent, though Satori can feel the wake in the air as they pass. Whatever means Heavy is using to fly, they certainly aren't unnoticeable.

"You're going to have to point Orbison out to me. I don't come out this way much - too much security," he says. "Of course, for a few million, I can swing it. Heck, letting those other guys get there a little before us means that they can draw the heat instead of us." They're currently about a half-mile above the ground: high enough to avoid being spotted by casual observers, and low enough that they can see the mansions lit up in the dark.