The job

cosmicarus

Heavy grunts to himself. "So maybe they thought I was a statue or something. Can't sit in them. Might as well wait."

Of course, after 20 minutes, he's bored. After 40 minutes, he's entertaining thoughts of just leaving. Thankfully, the radio in his helm is tuned to sports radio, so he can listen to the game while he waits. Every once in a while, he moves just to stretch out his legs. When the others start arriving, he gives them a quick once over. It's pretty clear, however, that he considers most of them to be beneath him, or at the very least, not competition. He doesn't bother to give them more than one look before he goes back to his game.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heavy grunts to himself. "So maybe they thought I was a statue or something. Can't sit in them. Might as well wait."

Of course, after 20 minutes, he's bored. After 40 minutes, he's entertaining thoughts of just leaving. Thankfully, the radio in his helm is tuned to sports radio, so he can listen to the game while he waits. Every once in a while, he moves just to stretch out his legs. When the others start arriving, he gives them a quick once over. It's pretty clear, however, that he considers most of them to be beneath him, or at the very least, not competition. He doesn't bother to give them more than one look before he goes back to his game.

At irregular intervals every twenty to thirty minutes, Satori left his perch to do a quick circuit of the upper floor, peering out the windows to see what might be occurring outside the building. In addition, it allowed him to stretch out and get some rest for his muscles. Even for a master such as himself, clinging to the wall was work.

Still, if a zen master could not exercise fortitude and resolve when at need, then who could?

At irregular intervals every twenty to thirty minutes, Satori left his perch to do a quick circuit of the upper floor, peering out the windows to see what might be occurring outside the building. In addition, it allowed him to stretch out and get some rest for his muscles. Even for a master such as himself, clinging to the wall was work.

Still, if a zen master could not exercise fortitude and resolve when at need, then who could?

14 Gordino St, Southside - 7:40pm

When it seems the arrivals have ceased to arrive, the door to the outside is closed and the two men who greeted all walked into the centre of the room. The weasly guy, still with his click...click...click meanders to the table and leans against it, eying the crowd. The bigger man stands firm and isolated. The little chatter there is the room dies down, and when the big man begins to speak, it ceases all together, "We didn't expect so many of you, so we're gonna keep this quick so as not to bring the heat down on us. Basically, this is a snatch and grab, and my employer is willing to pay the one of you who makes the grab a substantial sum. Cash to the tune of ten million dollars. That's not something to sneeze at. In a moment, each of you are gonna come forward and write your name on this form," the thin man draws an envelope from his jacket and places it on the table with a pen while the big man continues speaking, "You'll do this because you've been asked to. Anyone who brings in the prize without having their name written here doesn't get squat. You don't need your real name - your birth name - just whatever you're known by. Any questions so far?"

At this point, the man with the wreckingball for a hand pipes up rather loudly, pushing to the front "Just give us the bloody mark so's I can bring it back to ya." His voice seems to echo within himself, as if he were calling from inside a large steel drum. The big man is made to look physically small next to the large, Englishman, but he doesn't flinch, "Of course. Once everyone has written their name down here, we can get started. You look like you want to go first." The Englishman sniffs, drawing up an intake of breath that could seemingly drain the ocean in an instant, before making his way over to the table. With his left hand he scribbles on the page before making his way back into the audience. The big man continues, "Well, the rest of you? Soon as we get this done, the sooner one of you can collect your reward." And with that, the general population begins to rise and shuffle towards the table, forming a suprisingly orderly que. Thing about villains is, you don't want to cut in front of the wrong person.

When it seems the arrivals have ceased to arrive, the door to the outside is closed and the two men who greeted all walked into the centre of the room. The weasly guy, still with his click...click...click meanders to the table and leans against it, eying the crowd. The bigger man stands firm and isolated. The little chatter there is the room dies down, and when the big man begins to speak, it ceases all together, "We didn't expect so many of you, so we're gonna keep this quick so as not to bring the heat down on us. Basically, this is a snatch and grab, and my employer is willing to pay the one of you who makes the grab a substantial sum. Cash to the tune of ten million dollars. That's not something to sneeze at. In a moment, each of you are gonna come forward and write your name on this form," the thin man draws an envelope from his jacket and places it on the table with a pen while the big man continues speaking, "You'll do this because you've been asked to. Anyone who brings in the prize without having their name written here doesn't get squat. You don't need your real name - your birth name - just whatever you're known by. Any questions so far?"

At this point, the man with the wreckingball for a hand pipes up rather loudly, pushing to the front "Just give us the bloody mark so's I can bring it back to ya." His voice seems to echo within himself, as if he were calling from inside a large steel drum. The big man is made to look physically small next to the large, Englishman, but he doesn't flinch, "Of course. Once everyone has written their name down here, we can get started. You look like you want to go first." The Englishman sniffs, drawing up an intake of breath that could seemingly drain the ocean in an instant, before making his way over to the table. With his left hand he scribbles on the page before making his way back into the audience. The big man continues, "Well, the rest of you? Soon as we get this done, the sooner one of you can collect your reward." And with that, the general population begins to rise and shuffle towards the table, forming a suprisingly orderly que. Thing about villains is, you don't want to cut in front of the wrong person.

Sign your name on a /form/? Satori thought surprisedly, feeling mildly taken aback even through his best efforts to retain proper detachment. Is this supposed to be a contracting negotiation or the Department of Motor Vehicles? If I must compete against others, then best I do it without revealing to them that I am even in the race. Which is hardly possible if I go down and wait in line.

Satori remained quietly where he was.

Besides, the larger man's threats are either nonsense, or else he represents an idiot. If this 'prize' is worth ten million dollars, then it is for the employer's own convenience that the fee should be paid to the man in possession of that 'prize', name scribbled on a piece of paper or not.

And if they were irrational men? Then the conventional wisdom that a thing worth a great price to one man is often worth a substantial price from other men as well would be proven yet again.

Still, before one could obtain a 'prize', one first has to know what and where it is.

Satori settled back comfortably and kept waiting.

Sign your name on a /form/? Satori thought surprisedly, feeling mildly taken aback even through his best efforts to retain proper detachment. Is this supposed to be a contracting negotiation or the Department of Motor Vehicles? If I must compete against others, then best I do it without revealing to them that I am even in the race. Which is hardly possible if I go down and wait in line.

Besides, the larger man's threats are either nonsense, or else he represents an idiot. If this 'prize' is worth ten million dollars, then it is for the employer's own convenience that the fee should be paid to the man in possession of that 'prize', name scribbled on a piece of paper or not.

And if they were irrational men? Then the conventional wisdom that a thing worth a great price to one man is often worth a substantial price from other men as well would be proven yet again.

Still, before one could obtain a 'prize', one first has to know what and where it is.

Heavy waits until the end of the line. He's hoping to see people filing out as they sign the paper, but that's probably too much to ask. (If he is that lucky, he'll look to the person who asked them all to sign in, tear the sheet of paper up, and say "I think I need a new sheet.")

He doesn't sign the sheet, but he'll wait around to hear what the item is that needs to be stolen. After all, he might not be able to get any money directly if he doesn't sign a sheet, but somebody like the Leech could probably turn in the thing for him. Those crooks were desperate enough to come here and sign in; they'll probably be overjoyed to do no work and get $50k for it.

Heavy waits until the end of the line. He's hoping to see people filing out as they sign the paper, but that's probably too much to ask. (If he is that lucky, he'll look to the person who asked them all to sign in, tear the sheet of paper up, and say "I think I need a new sheet.")

He doesn't sign the sheet, but he'll wait around to hear what the item is that needs to be stolen. After all, he might not be able to get any money directly if he doesn't sign a sheet, but somebody like the Leech could probably turn in the thing for him. Those crooks were desperate enough to come here and sign in; they'll probably be overjoyed to do no work and get $50k for it.

14 Gordino St, Southside - 7:45pm

The line slowly files forward - a lot of people don't seem too happy with the current turn of events. Most mumble something unencouraging or drop the pen down in open rebellion, but they sign it. Seems things are hard these days for an honest villain trying to make a dishonest ten million. A small scuffle breaks out toward the end of the line following raised voices; two men dressed in very similar camo gear start to wrestle. From what you can tell, they're of two minds on whether to sign the sheet or not. Voices in the room begin to get raised and, eventually, one of them storms off, followed reluctantly by the other. Not long after, the six-armed woman reaches the front of the line. She picks up the pen, but hesitates. She puts the pen back down, glares at the two MCs and makes her way out of the room without a fuss, but in a terrible mood. Following her, Myron makes it to the table. The thin man, made to look large next to the leech, looks down at him, "You lost?" Myron quickly scribbles on the sheet and slinks to the back of the room. After him, there are two more villains who sign the sheet without a fuss. The thin man looks at Heavy, "You know, this is a private party, and you gotta be on the guest list if you wanna attend." He indicates toward the sheet of paper, now sporting eight other names. The big man pipes up, "You can leave any time you want, but we have our orders."

The line slowly files forward - a lot of people don't seem too happy with the current turn of events. Most mumble something unencouraging or drop the pen down in open rebellion, but they sign it. Seems things are hard these days for an honest villain trying to make a dishonest ten million. A small scuffle breaks out toward the end of the line following raised voices; two men dressed in very similar camo gear start to wrestle. From what you can tell, they're of two minds on whether to sign the sheet or not. Voices in the room begin to get raised and, eventually, one of them storms off, followed reluctantly by the other. Not long after, the six-armed woman reaches the front of the line. She picks up the pen, but hesitates. She puts the pen back down, glares at the two MCs and makes her way out of the room without a fuss, but in a terrible mood. Following her, Myron makes it to the table. The thin man, made to look large next to the leech, looks down at him, "You lost?" Myron quickly scribbles on the sheet and slinks to the back of the room. After him, there are two more villains who sign the sheet without a fuss. The thin man looks at Heavy, "You know, this is a private party, and you gotta be on the guest list if you wanna attend." He indicates toward the sheet of paper, now sporting eight other names. The big man pipes up, "You can leave any time you want, but we have our orders."

"If I can leave any time, then I'll wait until after you tell us all what this thing is you need grabbed. I mean, it's not like I need to hear it from you," he says, pointing his thumb towards Myron. "Him, or maybe one of the other ones'll tell me if I ask real nice. Why not save us all some trouble?"

"If I can leave any time, then I'll wait until after you tell us all what this thing is you need grabbed. I mean, it's not like I need to hear it from you," he says, pointing his thumb towards Myron. "Him, or maybe one of the other ones'll tell me if I ask real nice. Why not save us all some trouble?"

The thin man gets very angry very quickly, "You little punk-in-a-can, I outta..." he stops short at the raising of the big man's hand. The big man speaks in his baritone way, "We can't control what goes on outside of this room. We don't really care. But while you're in here we have rules, and everyone else has been good enough to abide by them, it's not asking much to have you do the same." He lowers his arm, "Besides, once this meeting is over, you might be wasting precious seconds getting the information you need - I can't see the mark lasting through the night." He relaxes back, leaning on the table, which somehow makes him slightly more intimidating, "But whatever you do - sign or leave - do it now. We've all got places to be." There's a loud crash as a chair in the back left of the room splinters into a thousand pieces at the touch of the Wrecking-Ball, "Yeah! Do it or sod off, ye bastard!"

The thin man gets very angry very quickly, "You little punk-in-a-can, I outta..." he stops short at the raising of the big man's hand. The big man speaks in his baritone way, "We can't control what goes on outside of this room. We don't really care. But while you're in here we have rules, and everyone else has been good enough to abide by them, it's not asking much to have you do the same." He lowers his arm, "Besides, once this meeting is over, you might be wasting precious seconds getting the information you need - I can't see the mark lasting through the night." He relaxes back, leaning on the table, which somehow makes him slightly more intimidating, "But whatever you do - sign or leave - do it now. We've all got places to be." There's a loud crash as a chair in the back left of the room splinters into a thousand pieces at the touch of the Wrecking-Ball, "Yeah! Do it or sod off, ye bastard!"

Heavy glances to see the irate Englishman's tirade. Inside the suit, he smiles for a moment, then stops before he speaks. "I'll leave. Good luck, fellas. I'll see some of you out there." With that, he steps around any villains in his way and heads outdoors. He takes the time to put on the trenchcoat and hat again, though he leaves his helm on.

It has had time to get dark out, and that means that he's willing to be a little less circumspect about his powers. He walks around to the side of the building, then flies up to wait on the roof, watching the front door to see when other folks come out. He's split between forcing Myron to tell him what the target is immediately, or pounding that loudmouth's head into the ground. Nobody talks about his mother that way.

Heavy glances to see the irate Englishman's tirade. Inside the suit, he smiles for a moment, then stops before he speaks. "I'll leave. Good luck, fellas. I'll see some of you out there." With that, he steps around any villains in his way and heads outdoors. He takes the time to put on the trenchcoat and hat again, though he leaves his helm on.

It has had time to get dark out, and that means that he's willing to be a little less circumspect about his powers. He walks around to the side of the building, then flies up to wait on the roof, watching the front door to see when other folks come out. He's split between forcing Myron to tell him what the target is immediately, or pounding that loudmouth's head into the ground. Nobody talks about his mother that way.