The New Man

"My earliest nights behind the mask? That's not actually that long ago. I only started this thing back in January." He smiled a little, remembering those rough early days with a great deal of fondness. "I still remember my very first battle. Guy was a mugger who went around rolling junkies in the Fens to get their stash and what little money they had. It was pretty darn satisfying to put him down for the count." He smiled a little wider. "I kept expecting someone to come along, see me beating on someone, and call the police. But I guess the guy was known in the neighborhood, and a mask and cape let you get away with a lot. Even in the Fens."

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"So you had the whole look down before you went looking for trouble?" She looked up at him, curiosity in her lively eyes. It was always hard for Taylor to wrap her mind around the origins of her fellow super-heroes. Her own experiences always were so different. In a way, she considered herself lucky to have had the advantage of mystic training but it was one more thing that made it difficult to relate with the others she ran accross. Not to mention when you did happen to meet another super-hero, it wasn't usually a 'lets trade origins' moment. It did allow her to ask another question that had been kicking around, "Why a hockey mask, anyways?"

"It's iconic," said Jack with a grin, relaxing a little beneath Taylor's sparkling good humor. "I mean, you see a hockey mask, you know the guy wearing it isn't to be messed with. I didn't have a big budget starting out, so I had to go with cheap stuff. Hockey mask, ski mask, faux-leather clothes, the whole nine yards. It seemed to work really well for the image I was trying to convey. How about you?" he asked her. "Where'd the cloak come from?"

"Part and parcel with the package, I'm afraid. Believe me, if I could summon something to wear with pants, I would! Here, I'll show you," Taylor stopped him at one of the more deserted sections of their walk, stepping into an alley with the confidence of a woman used to protecting herself. When they were out of the way of foot traffic, she reached up to the glittering amulet at her throat and drew it off over her head carefully. She tipped the necklace into his hands to reveal a runic engraving unlike anything still used in modern parlance. The golden setting was ancient and still warm from her skin.

"I translated it aloud and the next thing I know I'm pulled from this word into the void." Taylor said, her tone actually amused, "And people say linguistics is a boring art. When I got back from off world training, the cloak and costume came with it. Of all the things I've learned, I can't manage to alter that at all. Its okay. It covers up just how short I am pretty well. The whole leotard look would be much more embarrassing without it."

One hand under his, Taylor bent over the necklace to run her fingertips over the surface of the amulet. Beneath her touch, the writing shifted to a clear, if formal-looking English.

'To every light, a darkness. To every darkness, light. The balance shall be kept'

"Seems appropriate, given the circumstances," Jack mused aloud as he studied the amulet. Not her neck. Not her neck. Aw, man, that's a nice neck. "And personally, I think you look great in a leotard. Cloaked, or otherwise." He gave her a cheeky smile, carefully handing the amulet back. "It's always nice to see a magical artifact that's being used for good deeds. I've run into too many bad ones over the years. " He studied her. "So you had no option to say 'No'? No chance to say, "'No thanks, I'd like to finish college before I guard the multiverse?'"

She took the amulet back and replaced it carefully. Taylor took the time to settle the Eye in the hollow of her collarbone once more before replying, "Not really, no. The Eye's not mystical. Not really. There's no magic power contained within, anyways. The binding was in the words and I spoke them of free mind and free heart. Incantations are tricky like that. Its how you get kids unleashing things from the pit of hell, just by reading aloud from books."

Taylor tilted her head back up at him and raised one eyebrow archly as she teased, "Never tell me that the grim and gritty defender of the city was checking out my legs during the last fight. Now I see why you wear a hockey mask. Covers all sorts of expressions."

"I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but you have very nice legs," Jack informed her unashamedly, a teasing smile on his lips. "I don't think it's in any way a sin to appreciate a beautiful woman. That is, if she appreciates you in return." He met her eyes in a very male sort of way, a challenge as he raised an eyebrow. "And as for the hockey mask, it was supposed to keep people away from me. For all the good that did."

She lifted her chin automatically, rising to the challenge in those dark eyes unconciously. A smile played about the corners of her lips, not quite deep enough to dimple her cheeks but enough to curve her lips invitingly. Taylor's hands settled on her hips, her stance cocked to one side although far more playful than combative, "I don't think you ought be complaining at that. After all, I don't really think you want to keep me away. Do you?"

Her chin lifted up a fraction of an inch more, to meet his gaze.

"That all depends," said Jack with a challenging smile as he looked her over, the light in his eyes saying how much he liked what he saw. "What exactly are your intentions towards me, Ms. Chun? Because I already know what my intentions towards you are, and let me tell you...I think you'll enjoy them." He looked down at her, careful to keep enough distance to not actually be threatening. He could practically hear the pulse in her neck, and remembered other nights in dark alleys. But contrary to what certain popular fiction said, that wasn't actually a sexy memory!

Taylor didn't take a step back, merely tipping her chin to keep her eyes on his face. Her pulse leapt in her throat but it wasn't out of fear.

"Hmmm..." She mused aloud as if considering her possibilities. Her gaze flicked down to break eye contact finally, but certainly much more coy than submissive. Finally she glanced back up at him with a small secretive smile, "I intend any number of things. We'll simply have to see what comes of all these 'intentions' in due time, I imagine. What I will tell you is that I, for one, look forward to it."

In a move that was a victory for Jack's peace of mind, they eventually left the alley and resumed the walk back to Taylor's apartment. The streets were dark this late, but neither of them were particularly fearful. After all, they were superheroes. They kept on flirting as they headed back, the dark promise of the night quite pleasant for everyone involved. Or so Jack hoped, anyway. "Schedule or not, we should set a date. How are you this weekend?"

"I'm completely free," Taylor informed him as they reached her apartment building. She started to run her hands over her slacks looking for pockets that weren't there before she remembered - once again - that her keys were in the void. She could fish them out, but she could also just as easily walk through the door of the apartment. "What about Saturday evening?"

Taylor lingered for a moment on the doorstep, one slender hand on the door's frame. She was relaxed, her posture inclined slightly towards him as they worked out the details for the weekend.

"Saturday," Jack promised. "I'll call you and we'll figure out our schedules, and figure out show times." He looked down at her and said with the serious air of a teammate discussing a serious situation, "Taylor, I was planning on putting my arms around you and kissing you deeply before we leave, but I don't want to startle you." He smiled. "Would that be all right with you, Ms. Chun?"

He startled a full throated laugh out of her. She knew why he didn't want to startle her. It would certainly ruin the mood if she phased out and fell backwards into her apartment. Jack would be aware he'd made quite the impression, at least but Taylor would much rather have a good night kiss instead. She took a step forward and slid her arms up around his shoulders, still amused although her brown eyes were dark with anticipation, "More than alright."

Jack leaned in and kissed her soundly, a long, slow deliberate kiss that took all the liberties it could get away with. When they parted, he smiled at her with his sloe eyes, a warm smile on his lips. "I'll see you Saturday," he promised her, his voice a little slurred. (From the intensity of their kiss, or so he hoped she'd think.) "I can promise you an evening you'll never forget."

She pulled back when he released her with a breathy little sigh. It actually took her thoughts a second or two to track back to the conversation and she nodded. Taylor flashed him a brilliant smile as she agreed, "I'll look for your call. Good night, Jack."

She waited until he walked away before she removed her keys from the void and let herself inside her apartment to collapse down on the couch with a happy sigh. Her feet might never forgive her for the long walk home in heels but, oh, it had been worth it.