String and Tin Cans

angrydurf

Well, you're never going to reach her until you understand what gave her that point of view in the first place, Alex pointed out with her usual pragmatism as she collected her battered stuffed animal from the corner of the bed. She snuggled it against her chest as she rolled over again to her side.

You've got different experiences but that doesn't make either of your opinions more valid. I dunno if you'll ever agree on things, but I know you'll keep butting heads 'till you can get each other's perspective on stuff.

'I guess so. I would be happy just knowing what her perspective is, even if I don't understand where its comeing from. I mean I know she's not like some cold blooded psycho, I don't think she wants to hurt anyone. I dunno whats going on with her except she sure as heck has made it clear she doesn't want to talk about it.'

Mike flopped over onto his back once more. Chris said just to talk to her Eddie said to just drop the subject, now Alex said he needed to understand where Erin was coming from.

'I suppose I should just try and track her down at some point then.'

Mmmmhmm, Alex agreed in a sleepy murmer, If you could talk 'bout your baggage, I'd suggest that as a good place to start. S'easier to talk about your issues after someone else is vulnerable first.

Alex stifled a yawn with the back of one hand and snuggled deeper into the nest of soft blankets. Also cuz if you're not willing to have your issues poked at, s'not nice to poke at someone elses. No matter how golden your attentions. If you can't have a chat 'bout it, just say sorry and let it go. Whatever you do, don't give an appology and qualify it, like, 'sorry I hurt your feelings but...'. Cuz those never make anyone feel better.

'Who me? Make a verbal mistep? Never.' His thoughts were full of jovial mock indignation.

Erin was exceptionally prickly but he thought he'd manage. Couldn't go much worse than thier last talk anyway.

'I'll play nice and try and leave you with minimal emotional repair to do.' Mike was well aware of what Alex did for her friends in that department. 'If I can I'll even leave it nicer than I found it.'

All I ask is the attempt is made to put everything back where it belongs, Alex replied in amusement that bubbled through his thoughts before she gentled and asked words that Mike had heard often, You're okay? We're okay?

It was so very easy to forget how exposed she was to everyone's emotions, sometimes. Alex was so stable, so very grounded and her moment's of asking to lean on others was rare to the point of non-existance. Except for these nightly chats, of course, because she knew that Mike would never mind. He would never hurt her when her shields went down. It was safe, utterly safe, so she reached to his thoughts for the reassurance that things were alright out in the world because all too well, Alex knew things weren't often very right at all.

Back in his own room Mike smiled a comforting smile despite the fact that Alex couldn't see it. 'Yea we're good.'

He didn't say anything more simply being his own stable if mopey self, a constant in the everchanging world.

For himself Mike was still uncertain what to think about everything but for alex he was simply there for her as he always was. Tomarrow was a new day and they had a recruitment meeting maybe he could catch Erin after that to appologize.

Back in her room, Alex snuggled in a little deeper to the covers and relaxed with a contented sigh. She didn't transmit words back to say good-night, instead she just projected her emotions at him: that giddy-happy feeling, bone-deep exhaustion and beneath it the steady presence of her affection and support. The connection didn't close so much, as Alex simply stopped transmitting accross it to curl up and finally close her eyes.