Side-Effect Varient Flaw

Kavos

Would it be possible to create a custom side effect flaw?

What I'm specifically looking at is, A character has the Alternate form power (unreliable to turn on), And I wanted to add a bit more depth to it and it seem's appropriate for the character, So I was thinking of Adding a flaw that every time the power is turned off, the character suffers the effects of the Pain power from UP. (think of it as psychosomatic feedback) The character can make a will save against the Pain effect DC 10 + Alternate form rank) But with the AF rank being relatively high I'd be almost imposable to make the save. (In which case to save him falling unconscious every time he de-powered the Pain effect may be limited to the Dazed or possible the stunned condition?)

On a failed save, I'd go with the base save interval of 1 minuet until the pain stops (seeing as no one is maintaining it.)

If that is fine, than how much of a flaw would that be? -1/-2 more?

Mind you, while the question still counts, It would probably be easer to explain it as a Side effect flaw -2 (affects every use of power) which rather than a drawback gives the Dazed condition for 1 min, with a minor (unlikely) chance to save against it with a will save?

Isn't that how a -2 version of Side Effect would work anyway? After the power is used you would suffer the effect? Kind of like applying a Tiring to Boost, which, in official powers/builds, always takes effect after the boost fades.

Always disliked Tiring as a flaw. It is the same as a -2 Side Effect (Fatigue) but without the chance to save against it, and only granting a -1 modifier. More potent with a weaker reward? Go figure.

Isn't that how a -2 version of Side Effect would work anyway? After the power is used you would suffer the effect? Kind of like applying a Tiring to Boost, which, in official powers/builds, always takes effect after the boost fades.

Always disliked Tiring as a flaw. It is the same as a -2 Side Effect (Fatigue) but without the chance to save against it, and only granting a -1 modifier. More potent with a weaker reward? Go figure.

:oops: heh well that will teach me to open my mouth without double checking... so yeah the basic thing would simply be Side effect (every use) (Stun) with the descriptor that he feel's pain. Although the fact that it would probably render him unconscious every time he de-powered would make it a little extreme. granted he is suppose to slowly buy off these flaw, but until he does an almost certain auto KO ever time he De-powered is a big flaw. (not to mention it would probably take several minuets/hours for him to recover with the +1 save per round)

Any suggestion?

You could just make it Tiring then. Causing him to be fatigued, but not make him go out.

That was discussed in another thread, and it was basically decided that Fatigue didn't really count as a flaw if he only encountered it after the encounter.

Well I could probable live with it. He'd just have to be really careful when he de-powered, (too bad if he has a math's test in the afternoon) unless of cause it was acceptable to do the Dazed condition only. (still bad luck if he had a math's test.)

Of cause I suppose the other option is rather than the 2 point flaw I might be acceptable to do the 1 point flaw, so every time he tried to activated the alternate form and failed he'd cop a rank of fatigue.

That would give him the last few point's and still have room for him to grow a little.

The other flaw with the 2pp drawback is it gives him too many spare power points ( :shock: ) too many to give his main form, and too much to pump into Alternate form (it would leave him something like 245pp worth of points to spend in his alternate form :o ) way more than I could or would want to spend on the character.

So I suppose the question to the ref's is would the Side effect (fatigue) on failure to activate his Alternate form be considered common enough to warrant a flaw?

Maybe the Refs would go for a version of Side Effect that worked like the -2 version (activated every time) but only gave a dazed condition and have it only count as -1. Side Effect (Stun; Always Occurs [-2], Daze Only [+1]; Net -1 Flaw)

That would also work. I leave it for the honorable :bow: ref's to ponder :rules: :P

Ps. Thanks for the help Prescients ;)

Well it doesn't have to be pain if that's too Iron age. It could be anything of a number of descriptors that all boil down to the base effect of dazing him. As Prescient said, Like how the Hulk taxes Banners body so dose the Alternate form.

The descriptor could simply be the energy expanded from the transformation wipes him out for several mins/hours due to the extreme energy requirements of his Alternate form.