Upgrading Characters and "Rollover PP's"

quotemyname

Our reservation -- well, my reservation, at least -- in handing out too many PLs or pps is twofold.

One, it can raise characters very high very quickly. Many street-level adventures lose some impact when you jump past PL 11 or 12. We do want to escalate things, but not in huge leaps.

Two, there's the concern that once a character hits the PL/pp caps, a player would lose interest in playing them, since they cannot advance any more. Adding lots of PLs/pps makes that point arrive sooner.

Other than that, there's nothing I can think of that we wouldn't want to see which isn't already covered elsewhere. Other Refs may have things to add, though.

On the one hand, yes, you're a horribly disruptive person.

(Kidding!)

On the other hand, you are correct in pointing out that there is some imbalance here. And while we do want folks to have fun here, we do also want things to be semi-balanced. (Though there'll always be some imbalance due to the fact some players post more and thus earn pps much faster than others *glances at Electra, Avenger, and alderwitch*)

On the other other hand... tentacles!

*ahem*

So then our verdict is to leave well enough alone? I'm all for being progressive...I just can't stand arguments that go on for too long without reaching any worthwhile conclusion. This one seems like exactly that. It's been back and forth for a day now, and it's gotten nowhere.

Status Quo then?

I think we've made some signifigant progress actually. As Doc said there are some imbalances to what he sees as the goal of the reward, that being that if you just want one character or don't want to upgrade your PL 6 to 10 for whatever reason the reward really doesn't apply.

Also the partial rollover seemed to have alot of support.

When alot of people only post once a day or even every other day its hard to say the 1 day is decisive anyway.

At this point nothing is going to change the way I post with my PL6 character because I enjoy playing with her, I agree that it's disappointing to know that all accumulated PP is only temporarily worthwhile. The only variable in Stesha's eventual advancement is when Erin will hit gold. I could (and might) have 25 pp invested in her when Erin hits 31, or I could stop playing her today, and the results would be the same. And believe me, I know the argument that the XPing isn't the game, but it is part of the game. Why else would we all talk so much about what we're going to do with our characters, and the best way to do it? =) It doesn't feel quite right that two PL 6 characters might jump to level 10 in one day, where one was level 6 before with 0pp and one was level 8 with 25.

I don't think it's necessary to simply rollover all the accumulated XP into a PL10 build, but I would love to see some acknowledgment of the work that went into it before the jump. Perhaps a half XP rollover, so that a maximum of 1 extra PL could be added onto an upgrading character. You could even add stipulations that the rolled-over XP go to non-cap related stats. It would be a way for people to get utility out of the XP they'd earned before, and it would assure that no one got a PL 11 or higher upgrade at Gold. (Note that I'm assuming the maximum rollover would only be 15 points, because 31's where you hit gold.)

I've always sort of looked at it from the point of view that you don't lose any PP your gaining X times PP till the pl 6 character reaches 150 pp. However I can see the argument for 'how does a character go from pl 6 to pl 10 in a day.' For my character Ember it's simple he undergoes the final part of the ritual with the Fox fire. But for most character's it's not that simple.

Perhaps it would be best to do up Options like the Platinum award? something like

Option 1: 2 PL 10 characters, (what we have now)

Option 2: Xpp worth of equipment

Option 3: +1 power level over caps for 1 character

ext.

It doesn't have to be any or all of them but the good thing about options is than people can select the option that most appeals to them, without feeling like there getting ripped of with something. (like the argument of losing PP currently.)

That's my 2c anyway ;)

Don't mean to be a downer, but MBCE has already said no to your #2 and I think the refs would have to go Pants-on-head-retarded before the allowed option #3.

Nice try sneaking it in there, though ;)

I was just using them as examples I figured the refs could decide on what the options were, Personally I'm just good with option 1 ;)

How about letting those rolled up keep, say, a third of the points they've earned? So if you reached Gold status with your PL 6 (i.e 30pp) they'd get to keep 10. If they'd earned 15pp they'd keep 5, and so on. The only case someone would end up above PL 10 is if they'd reached Gold with a PL 6.
I like this idea, although I realize that it means more work.

I like this idea, although I realize that it means more work.

Yea this sounds like the most solid, most fair Idea that I have seen so far. It rewards people for what they have done before the upgrade without unbalancing them too quickly. I don't think it would be too much extra work, as like Nyrath said, the maximum amount of points they would get would still put them in the PL10 range (provided they are getting gold with their already pl10 character as most do). Dividing by 3 is not that difficult.

I would like to get behind this idea. Now that the thread has gone almost a week, do any of you refs want to say yea or nay to this?

• 3 weeks later...

Aright, gang, we'd decided: you can keep 1/3rd of the pps earned by your PL 6 character when you upgrade to PL 10 when hitting Gold.

Which means Belphegor, Grimalkin, and Ghost (and Quark) will all get some extra pps this month!

There is one caveat/request: we ask that, if the earned pps are enough to push you to a new PL, you not use those pps to buy traits to bring you up to the new PL. Use the pps to round out your character.