James nodded and grinned as he and Eddie met up with the others. "Hey guys. Having fun yet?" He nodded towards Eddie. "Just done a few of the 'coasters so far. He's never been here before." He nodded at Mark as the luck controller finally met up with them. "Good timing as always dude." The kissing Alex didn't phase him. She was pretty kissable after all. He'd probably be asking her out himself if there was a line already waiting. And public displays of affects were nothing new to him.

"The free fall ride's pretty cool. I'll wait 'till you finish that food though. Won't let you take it on. But, just in case you want drop stuff, it's pretty cool to see stuff 'floating' in front of you as you fall."

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Erin tilted her head to one side, rather enjoying the unaccustomed feeling of wearing earrings again. "I think I'll leave you guys to do that, I spent half of July jumping off buildings and the thrill is kinda gone. I want to catch the gravity spinner. You probably wouldn't like it," she told Alex with a quick grin. "Do we have a time we're planning to meet up out at the front?"

James shrugged. "Not as far as I know. But I vote we meet for dinner first. There's certainly enough to pick from here." He nodded at Erin. "If you want company, I'll come with ya. I've done pretty much every ride here. If not, I'm good with free fall as well." He looked around. "We got time for more rides without a problem though, unless people are done and want to take off."

Mike looked away at Alexs comment about their last smei-disasterous attempt to ride the free fall ride in a way he thought was non-chalant but really was anything but.

"I'm sure we won't have any problems this time." He said awkwardly. Then glanceing to James, "Yea dinner sounds like a good meet up. When should we meet you two?"

"Hey guys!" Mark walked up behind Erin and Alex with a big smile, waving as he approached. "I had a feeling I'd find you here now."

"Do'h! I KNEW that was going to happen! What's up, Mark?"

Spontaneously, he put his arm around Alex and bent down to peck her on the cheek. "Must be my lucky day." He had a coney dog in hand covered in chili and bacon, but he was deft about keeping it away from Alex's clothes, and wore the same Comets jersey he'd briefly worn on their visit to the baseball game. "Did I miss much?

"No, but apparently I did. When did you two start getting all lovey-dovey?" Hell, if no one else wanted to make a comment, he sure as hell wasn't going to pass up the chance.

During the discussion about which rides to go on, Eddie simply nodded his approval. "I can go on whatever."

"I'm up for a long fall," said Mark cheerfully, leaning away from Alex as he put his hand on hers. He decided to deal with Eddie's good-natured teasing in the time-honored fashion of high school kids, just grinning and squeezing Alex's hand a little tighter. "You just gotta keep up with the times, man. One day it's Top 40, the next day...rhythm and blues." He wasn't at all sure when R&B had become the music of dating, but the metaphor made sense to him. "If you want to eat first, the chili dogs here are great. They've got an old guy here from Sicily who's been making them the Freedom way since 1959. They've got a picture of him with the Centurion and everythng!"

Chris appeared conveniently at that moment, only for his face to twist in disgust. "Rhythym and blues will never be part of the times. Ever. Never compromise, not even in the face of R Kelly."

"Sorry I vanished. I met some guy from my last school. Was ranting about how his dad works as a drinks vendors and some maintenance dude hit him with a smokebomb a few weeks back."

"Sure, you can come along if you want to," Erin told James. "I just need to drop some stuff off at my locker first. I, uh, spent most of my park card already," she admitted. "The stores here are cool." She was going to have to work to wedge the additional bags into the locker, but they were clothes, and therefore squishy, and therefore an infinite amount of them could be compressed into a small space. She stood up. "We'll catch you guys later."

Alex blushed and then wrinkled her nose at Eddie and vounteered with her usual candor, "Mark took me out a few days ago. It wasn't, like, a secret or anything. It just hasn't really come up, I guess."

She pointed over to the Free Fall enthusiastically, "So I'm sure we can get a ride in and then meet for dinner back here. I vote pizza and ice cream."

Eddie screwed up his face as well. "I'm just yankin' your chain, Alex."

How did I miss that? Maybe THAT'S what Mike was so upset about the other day...

"Great! So lets all go lose our lunch... and then eat dinner! Pizza and Ice cream are two of my favorites." He began to jog off towards the free fall, turning around to see if anyone was following him.

James nodded. "Sure, no problem." He looked at the others. "Catch you all in at dinner." He nodded at Erin and walked with her towards the lockers. They were an odd pair but he did consider her a good friend. Weird that he never made a play for her, but he rather enjoyed the friendship they had and were developing.

"No worries on not having anything left. I'll get dinner. So, what did you pick up? "

"I'm not hungry," Erin assured James as they walked, "I've been eating at almost every meal for weeks. One day doesn't even bother me." She looked down at her bags, her pale face coloring slightly. "Clothes, mostly. Souvenirs, you know? It's nice to have something to remember a trip by." She wasn't so deluded as to not realize that everyone would notice she always wore the same few clothes, but she still wasn't about to admit it out loud if she didn't have to. "Did you get any good birthday presents?" she asked him instead.

Mark took Alex's hand as they went, smiling down at her with a happy look on his face. "Will you hold my hand if I get really scared going down?" he asked with a laugh. "I promise I'll make it up to you later," he added with a grin. "We can hit up the glow-in-the-dark cotton candy place. You'd be amazed how much this place changes at night."

Alex laughed and wrinkled her nose at Mark playfully, "In that highly unlikely scenario, of course. I don't think anyone here has anything to worry about on Free-Fall. It's really remarkably well made for a ride."

She threaded her fingers through his, lightly swinging their joined hands as the teens waited in the breif line for Free Fall, "I don't think we stayed until nightime last time. That was after curfew so we left right 'around sunset. Glow in the dark cotton candy?"

The last was said with the eager enthusiasm of someone who loved all things day-glo.

"You two are crazy, you know that?" Eddie said as he hopped up on the railing at the end of the short line to the free-fall. He sat and waited for the line to move before hopping down and picking another spot on the railing further down the line.

"Carnivals are great places to be at night. It's wonderful when everything lights up!"

James nodded with a half smile. "Glad you picked up a few things you liked. Souvenirs are fun. Especially when it isn't something you normally'd get for yourself." He chuckled. "This is my birthday present Erin." He looked over at her with a raised eyebrow. "What? You were thinking something in wrapping paper with a bow from people? What would the point of that be? It isn't like I don't have pretty much every physical thing I want anyway. No reason people should spend money on stuff. So, this is my present. Memories of good times. Actually having friends and just having fun. Everybody gets something, everybody's happy."

The rest of the afternoon went smoothly and was filled with the joys of a theme park. Rides, games and food kept spirits and emotions high. As dusk rolled around, the students all met up in the large food court area. The waterpark section of the park had closed maybe an hour ago, but the rest of the rides were still going, and likely would be for another few hours.

As they rejoined one another and got there food, something felt a little off to Phalanx, Psyche Breakdown and Geckoman. The attendants, even the other patrons of the park, seemed tired. And not just the exhaustion that game from a day of fun in the sun or working either. They seemed a little run down. Drained even. It was nothing they could put their finger on exactly, but compared to the boisterous activity they had been part of all day, this was weird.

Mark, while he noticed that as well, just happened to be at the exact right place at the exact right moment to notice one other oddity. For the briefest of moments, he thought he saw a figure in a hooded robe peek out of the gates from the closed waterpark and duck back inside. He could almost convince himself that it had been a trick of his imagination.

Meanwhile, James and Erin were oblivious to the entire thing.

Alex paused before accepting the swirl of glow in the dark cotton candy, her solemn gaze flicking over the fellow manning the booth. Cotton candy in hand, she flicked her gaze around the food court and took an unconcious step closer to Mark. It was hard to put her finger on but something just seemed, well, creepy.

"I dunno, Eddie, But you're right somethings off." Mike said his gaze flicked to Alex as he asked 'You notice people acting kinda wierd? Like they're in slo mo almost.'

He moved in closer to his friends in case the sinister scene manifested more directly prepared to defend his friends if this was more than just paranoia. He stood to his full height and peered over the heads of the crowd keeping alert for signs of what was going on.

James happily slurped his soda and munched on the nachoes and corn dogs. Sure, he didn't really need to eat for a while yet but that took the fun out of it. Sometimes, eating bad food was just fun. He looked over at his friends' words. "Hmm? What's up?" He pretty much missed whatever was drawing theirs attention.

Erin tensed at everyone else's suspicions, even though she hadn't seen anything herself. The park looked normal to her... maybe too normal? She set down her shopping bags around the corner of the cotton candy booth so they'd be out of the way and her hands would be free. "What are we looking at?" she demanded of no one in particular.