Colors Out of Space

Chris ran after he'd left the cafeteria, ignoring anybody who talked to him until he got to Mike's dorm room. Putting his hand into his pocket, he burst into the room with his electrically charged power knuckle buzzing. Take that invulnerable man! As Mike turned his head, Chris's fist smashed across his face... and the knuckles broke against it. "Oh... $*^%!"

Mike had barely begun turning as Chris charged into the room. The punhc itself seemed to take a moment for him to process. Once he finally realized that Chris had indeed just hit him he stood up and yelled, "What the hell Chris?"

This had not been a good week, Erin was still avoiding him after their fight in the Doom Room, Mark's perpetual cheer was more irritating than infectious, and now Chris for some reason was hitting him.

"What the hell, Chris!? More like, what the hell, Mike? You're an idiot, that's what the hell!" He slammed the door behind him. "Mark told you he'd asked Alex out and you didn't say anything? Dammit, man, you're in denial." He went up in Mike's face. "And don't even deny it. We all know you're in love with Alex. I'd bet she knows it, but noooo. You have to be all emo and in denial." He put a hand on each of Mike's cheeks and pulled. "SMILE SOMETIME!"

He backed off before the super-strong teen could go to retaliate. "It's man time. Ditch the razor blades and shut off My Chemical Romance, we're taking you to big boy town!"

Mike batted ineffectively at Chris' hands as the smaller boy manhandled him, then stared blankly at his crazed rant as he was clearly speaking non-sense.

Mike next spoke slowly and carefully much like one might address an escaped lunatic, "What exactly is this about Chris?" as he spoke he sent a quick telepathic message to Alex 'Chris seems to have lost it, maybe some kinda post-hypnotic thing from those women theo other night. We're in my room.'

'There wasn't any 'post hypnotic' thing. I would have noticed a 'post hypnotic' thing. Why? What's going on?' Alex's thoughts filtered through their mental link as if she was slightly distracted. In her room, Alex looked up from her clothes and focused more on the boys. She rummaged around through Mike's recent memories to answer her own question, then her voice was tinged with amusement, 'Chris just thinks you're being too glum. He's not mentally controlled.'

Chrsi just stared blankly at Mike. "Oh god. I mean, oh god. You're so in denial it's not funny." He turned and put his head in his hands. "Dude, I know we're not close. But, of all people, you can't lie to me. Barely anyone can, and some emotionally stunted emo kid isn't on that list. I mean, really..."

He turned and looked Mike dead in the eye. "I need an answer man, so you don't screw your life up. Why don't you tell her you love her?"

With Alexs assurances that Chris was not under outside control just his normal spastic self Mike visibly calmed a bit. He sat back down heavily with a sigh of relife and gestured for Chris to take Marks seat with pie to be had mark was unlikely to be back anytime soon.

He rolled his eyes at Chris but focused on trying to explain what he considered to be the very complex relationship between himself and Alex. His voice was steady but not flat and despite the eye roll his tone wasn't patronizing as he explained, "Cus she probably knows better than I do? She's been in my head since we were practiaclly infants, she's been through everything with me, and not all of it pretty."

Mike paused consideringly for a moment then continued, "I mean yea I guess I love her in a way but not like date her love her, I dunno if I could be as close to anyone as I am to Alex but honestly thats not what we are to eachother. Marks a good guy, I mean his perpetual cheer drives me up the walls but I'm not the easiest guy to live with either."

Mike sighed heavily and looked out the window, "Besides," He confided, "I'm not exactly prime date material even if that was the kind of relationship I wanted. I'm certainly not going to begrudge Alex and Mark havign a little happiness just cus its not in the cards for me." It was clear that mikes thoughts had wandered beyond Alex to more general terms.

"..."

"Dude, what the hell? You can fly, you're strong, you're fast and you're really pretty damn tough. My hand still hurts. And yet, despite having all those awesome powers... I've got more self-esteem than you and I'm some screw-up who can climb up walls and who everyone thinks is incompetent. You have it so much better than me, and yet... you can't let yourself be happy. You can bounce bullets off you, but when it comes down to it you don't need to. You've besten yourself to death already."

Chris turned and went to walk out the door. "Trouble is, you won't stop moving." He turned as he opened the door. "You want my help, you know where I am. But, right now? I can't be in the same room as you. It's just depressing."

Mike mentally kicked himself as Chris walked away. Maybe he had been better off cloistered away in some top secret lab this sure as heck wasn't working. Within a week he'd managed to piss off almost half of the few friends he'd managed to make since coming here. He considered trying to talk to Alex about it but didn't want to bring her down too, last thing he needed was to allinate her cus he couldn't get overhimself and let her have a nice day out without dragging her into more of his fights.

One thing he did know was he wasn't going to be here when Mark got back. That little ball of sunshine was not somethign he was up for in his current state. Sliding the window open he glided out and shot up into the air. He didn't have any real destination in mind he just needed to be out of this place for awhile.