Over the River and Through the Woods

Barnum

Lucy was still out cold. Neither the icy wind nor the crash landing woke her. The trauma of her injuries and the continued exposure to the bitter cold was taking its toll. Her coat was still in the coat room at St. Sebastian's, and she wasn't dressed for the cold. Her limousine, after all, was heated, and the $2,900 "throw away" silk dress she wore to the ceremony wasn't build for combat or the cold. If something didn't happen soon, Lucy wasn't going to make it out of this alive.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agnes scooped up Lucy's legs to hold her properly. The rich girl's dress was shredded, and her skin was cold.

"This isn't good," she mumbled.

Agnes blasted into the air, high above the clearing, with her cargo. For as far as she could see there was nothing but trees, huge snow drifts, and mountains. Squinting against the cold wind and desperate to save herself and this helpless girl, Agnes focused her will on discovering some kind of refuge. The mountains that were way off in the distance suddenly grew clearer and clearer to her eyes, and closer and closer until she could see the details of the cliff faces up close from miles away. She found there what she was looking for: caves. Agnes blinked again and the mountains looked miles away once more. With a burst of brilliant light, Agnes covered the distance to the cave at a tremendous speed, far faster than she'd ever traveled before. Perhaps the caves would provide them with enough shelter for her to get Lucy warm. She had no idea where they were or what she'd do next.

First things first.

Agnes scooped up Lucy's legs to hold her properly. The rich girl's dress was shredded, and her skin was cold.

Agnes blasted into the air, high above the clearing, with her cargo. For as far as she could see there was nothing but trees, huge snow drifts, and mountains. Squinting against the cold wind and desperate to save herself and this helpless girl, Agnes focused her will on discovering some kind of refuge. The mountains that were way off in the distance suddenly grew clearer and clearer to her eyes, and closer and closer until she could see the details of the cliff faces up close from miles away. She found there what she was looking for: caves. Agnes blinked again and the mountains looked miles away once more. With a burst of brilliant light, Agnes covered the distance to the cave at a tremendous speed, far faster than she'd ever traveled before. Perhaps the caves would provide them with enough shelter for her to get Lucy warm. She had no idea where they were or what she'd do next.

First things first.

First things first.

Lucy opened her eyes. She was lying on her back, looking up at dark stone. It was the roof of some sort of cave. Orange firelight danced across the stone. Lucy blinked hard, but everything was still a blur. She remembered the bizarre fight in the church, the demons, and then nothing.

"Where am I?"

Lucy tried to sit up but didn't have the strength, so she settled for turning her head. She was indeed in a natural cave, lying on a bed of branches. They smelled like Christmas trees. Beside her, just a few feet away, was a small fire, surrounded by a ring of stones. Lucy couldn't see the exit to the cave, but she could feel a breeze occasionally whipping through the cave. Yet strangely she didn't feel cold, not cold at all. Lucy looked down at her own body. She was covered in dried blood, but her injuries appeared to be gone. She was still wearing the tattered party dress. Her legs and feet were completely bare, and she was wearing the church girl's sweatshirt. It was surely not enough to keep her warm, and yet she was, completely.

With a grunt, Lucy tried to sit up again. This time she was successful. The cave looked the same from a sitting positing, but she noticed something that she had not noticed before. Behind her head, sticking out of the hard rock floor was the church girl's sword. It was emitting a warm glow.

Lucy opened her eyes. She was lying on her back, looking up at dark stone. It was the roof of some sort of cave. Orange firelight danced across the stone. Lucy blinked hard, but everything was still a blur. She remembered the bizarre fight in the church, the demons, and then nothing.

"Where am I?"

Lucy tried to sit up but didn't have the strength, so she settled for turning her head. She was indeed in a natural cave, lying on a bed of branches. They smelled like Christmas trees. Beside her, just a few feet away, was a small fire, surrounded by a ring of stones. Lucy couldn't see the exit to the cave, but she could feel a breeze occasionally whipping through the cave. Yet strangely she didn't feel cold, not cold at all. Lucy looked down at her own body. She was covered in dried blood, but her injuries appeared to be gone. She was still wearing the tattered party dress. Her legs and feet were completely bare, and she was wearing the church girl's sweatshirt. It was surely not enough to keep her warm, and yet she was, completely.

With a grunt, Lucy tried to sit up again. This time she was successful. The cave looked the same from a sitting positing, but she noticed something that she had not noticed before. Behind her head, sticking out of the hard rock floor was the church girl's sword. It was emitting a warm glow.

"Where am I?"

agnes.jpg

It was some time before Lucy finally heard a rush of air and saw a brilliant light pulse at the mouth of the cave. In walked the church girl. She looked rough. Agnes had given up her sweatshirt, shoes, and socks for Lucy. All she had left was her ill-fitting jeans and a very thin cotton camisole. Her hair was plastered all over her head and shoulders and she was covered with ice. Her hair was frozen solid, and she had thick formations of ice around her eyes, nose, and mouth. Her clothes were almost completely iced over. But she didn't seem to be bothered by it.

"Hello. You're awake. I was beginning to worry." Agnes walked over near the fire and started shaking off the ice. "I have no idea where we are," she said soberly. "I have flown as fast as I can in one direction for nearly an hour . . . and I think I'm going pretty fast . . . but all I see is more mountains." Agnes looked sheepishly down at the fire. "Then it took me an hour to find my way back here. But I'm glad to see you're awake. How do you feel?"

agnes.jpg

It was some time before Lucy finally heard a rush of air and saw a brilliant light pulse at the mouth of the cave. In walked the church girl. She looked rough. Agnes had given up her sweatshirt, shoes, and socks for Lucy. All she had left was her ill-fitting jeans and a very thin cotton camisole. Her hair was plastered all over her head and shoulders and she was covered with ice. Her hair was frozen solid, and she had thick formations of ice around her eyes, nose, and mouth. Her clothes were almost completely iced over. But she didn't seem to be bothered by it.

"Hello. You're awake. I was beginning to worry." Agnes walked over near the fire and started shaking off the ice. "I have no idea where we are," she said soberly. "I have flown as fast as I can in one direction for nearly an hour . . . and I think I'm going pretty fast . . . but all I see is more mountains." Agnes looked sheepishly down at the fire. "Then it took me an hour to find my way back here. But I'm glad to see you're awake. How do you feel?"

agnes.jpg

Lucy sat up and watched as the church girl de-iced. She did look rough, but Lucy couldn't take her eyes off her. She was just so odd, but in a beautiful way. The girl couldn't be older than Lucy, and yet she seemed much older laboring away in the basement of that church. She was a tiny little thing, and yet she was so strong against those demons. And now glowing brightly and glistening with ice covering her pale skin, she looked like an angel. On top of all that was all this current weirdness: the fight, the mountains, the demons, the fact that the church girl was a freakin' superhero! This was all just too crazy.

"Who are you?" Lucy asked, not knowing where to start.

Lucy sat up and watched as the church girl de-iced. She did look rough, but Lucy couldn't take her eyes off her. She was just so odd, but in a beautiful way. The girl couldn't be older than Lucy, and yet she seemed much older laboring away in the basement of that church. She was a tiny little thing, and yet she was so strong against those demons. And now glowing brightly and glistening with ice covering her pale skin, she looked like an angel. On top of all that was all this current weirdness: the fight, the mountains, the demons, the fact that the church girl was a freakin' superhero! This was all just too crazy.

Agnes looked down on Lucy with compassion. As weird as this whole situation was, it was twice as weird for Lucy. Agnes had years to come to grips with her own angelic powers. Lucy had no warning at all.

"My name is Agnes," she began. Agnes set down next to the fire beside Lucy's makeshift bed. "I . . . well . . . I'm not sure what I am. Some of the elders in my church think I'm an angel. Others think I'm a "super" like the Freedom League. I'm . . . well, I'm just not sure. I am confident that God could have given me these powers, but I am not so presumptuous as to claim I know. Though the fact that we were attacked by demons is probably telling. That sword," Agnes pointed to the sword still sticking out of the ground, "is how I summon my powers. It is also what has healed your wounds, and it is what is keeping you warm. We're in a cave high up on a mountain in a vast mountain range. I have no idea where we are or even if we're still on planet earth."

Agnes made a face when she spoke the last sentence. It sounded horribly geeky, like something out of a comic book.

"I made a fire," she said after a moment of awkward silence. "I'm not sure why. You shouldn't be cold. Are you cold?" She paused again. "You never told me your name."

Agnes looked down on Lucy with compassion. As weird as this whole situation was, it was twice as weird for Lucy. Agnes had years to come to grips with her own angelic powers. Lucy had no warning at all.

"My name is Agnes," she began. Agnes set down next to the fire beside Lucy's makeshift bed. "I . . . well . . . I'm not sure what I am. Some of the elders in my church think I'm an angel. Others think I'm a "super" like the Freedom League. I'm . . . well, I'm just not sure. I am confident that God could have given me these powers, but I am not so presumptuous as to claim I know. Though the fact that we were attacked by demons is probably telling. That sword," Agnes pointed to the sword still sticking out of the ground, "is how I summon my powers. It is also what has healed your wounds, and it is what is keeping you warm. We're in a cave high up on a mountain in a vast mountain range. I have no idea where we are or even if we're still on planet earth."

Agnes made a face when she spoke the last sentence. It sounded horribly geeky, like something out of a comic book.

"I made a fire," she said after a moment of awkward silence. "I'm not sure why. You shouldn't be cold. Are you cold?" She paused again. "You never told me your name."

Lucy felt around on her own arms and legs.

"No, I'm not cold." Lucy wasn't sure whether or not to find that comforting. Clearly she should be cold. She looked over at the sword and then scooted away from it a little. "My name is Lucy, Lucy King. You probably know my grandfather. He gave a bunch of money to the charities your church runs." Lucy put her palms toward the fire to warm them, but they were aready warm. She wanted to ask about the superpowers, but wanted to avoid all that "god" talk. If this girl was a religious nutter, it was best to avoid that subject entirely. But clearly, her powers were their only hope. "So, can you think of a way to 'super' us out of here?"

Lucy smiled a forced, painful smile.

"No, I'm not cold." Lucy wasn't sure whether or not to find that comforting. Clearly she should be cold. She looked over at the sword and then scooted away from it a little. "My name is Lucy, Lucy King. You probably know my grandfather. He gave a bunch of money to the charities your church runs." Lucy put her palms toward the fire to warm them, but they were aready warm. She wanted to ask about the superpowers, but wanted to avoid all that "god" talk. If this girl was a religious nutter, it was best to avoid that subject entirely. But clearly, her powers were their only hope. "So, can you think of a way to 'super' us out of here?"

agnes.jpg

"So, can you think of a way to 'super' us out of here?"

"Yeah, I've been thinking about that. I know the sword has the power to appear wherever I am. Maybe it can use that power to send get us home." Agnes reached over and pulled the sword out of the stone. It's blade gleamed in the firelight. "Get ready," Agnes said, "It's going to get really cold in here for you, I'm afraid. Get close to the fire."

Agnes crossed her legs and held the sword hilt upward like a cross. She closed her eyes and, after saying a little prayer of blessing and protection on Lucy, she began to concentrate. The power that the sword had been exerting to keep Lucy warm was cut off instantly, and the blade began to glow, softly at first and then more brightly.

agnes.jpg

"Yeah, I've been thinking about that. I know the sword has the power to appear wherever I am. Maybe it can use that power to send get us home." Agnes reached over and pulled the sword out of the stone. It's blade gleamed in the firelight. "Get ready," Agnes said, "It's going to get really cold in here for you, I'm afraid. Get close to the fire."

Agnes crossed her legs and held the sword hilt upward like a cross. She closed her eyes and, after saying a little prayer of blessing and protection on Lucy, she began to concentrate. The power that the sword had been exerting to keep Lucy warm was cut off instantly, and the blade began to glow, softly at first and then more brightly.

agnes.jpg

The cold air hit Lucy like a slap in the face. It took her breath away, and she began trembling uncontrollably. Lucy hugged her own arms, curling up into as small a ball as she could. She scooted as close to the fire as she could stand, and whispered through chattering teeth, "Hurry!"

The cold air hit Lucy like a slap in the face. It took her breath away, and she began trembling uncontrollably. Lucy hugged her own arms, curling up into as small a ball as she could. She scooted as close to the fire as she could stand, and whispered through chattering teeth, "Hurry!"