To Whom It May Concern...(IC)

Ronin moved silently through the mechanical debris ignoring the man's threats. It seemed like the man had no real weakness as such, but his armor wasn't as bullet proof as he thought it was. His optical implants could detect microscopic imperfections on the metal's surface, and his enhanced senses allowed him to put a bullet right into one.

He rounded behind the floundering guardian moving so silently not even the pilot's augmented sense could hear him. Taking the Sniper Rifle from his back Ronin, was glad he had put a deplete round in. He lined it up with a small structural weakness right above the pilot's kidney and fired.

The Guardian turned and fired just as you poked your head up. It was almost like he knew right where you were!

Your shot must have thrown him off balance, however. His shot went wide and left a smoking hole in the wall next to your head. This was not an attack you wanted to get hit by!

"Damn!" Came the steely voice. Suddenly your attention is torn away from the hole in the wall and back to your opponent. He flies backwards straight through the cloud of smoke still lingering from your earlier grenade. When the smoke clears, he is no where to be seen!

Ronin ducked as hot shrapnel racked his body armor. He dropped to the ground and raised his rifle for another shot but found no one. "Hey thats funny," the mercenary called out. "Now who is using Parlor tricks?" As Ronin moved across the room he still did his best to avoid the light while projecting his voice.

"You know it is funny you mentioned being fed by a machine," he taunted. "If you want, I can make it so that one has to use the bathroom for you too." When he saw or heard nothing the mercenary switch gears.

"Hey Genius, ever occur to you," he said as he drew a grenade from his bandoleer. "That I got more than just Flash bangs in here?" Then he tossed the grenade toward the other said where he was sure the man would here the clang, but not know that Ronin hadn't pulled the pin.

When nothing happened, Ronin grinned and faded into he shadows. Smarter than he looked.

As you fade into the shadows you hear a sound like a roaring jet engine. "You're mine now!" The steel vice grip clamped down around his chest and body as The Guardian tries to bodily manhandle you.

The invisible vice grip began to constrict your midsection. A split second later, you feel your arms being pulled into an awkward position behind you. You find it extremely difficult to move in this position.

"Muscles are no match for machines!" Echos the Guardian's voice behind you. It is eerie to hear the voice coming from what is seemingly thin air.

Ronin groaned as the metallic arms squeezed him. He tried to break free but couldn't match the titanic strength of the Guardian. "Damn it, what is this?" He did his best to recall the dangerous unarmed wrestling abilites he had been instilled with though only a few came to mind.

*Clank* Blinding pain spreads through your skull as a sharp piece of the robotic armor smashes into the back of your skull.

"Resistance is useless!" The Guardian cried, attempting to secure his hold on you once more, "Surrender now and I will make sure that we kill you quickly!"

Ronin's vision swam from the impact of the metal covered elbow on the back of his skull. His head throbbed but he mercenary, kept his wits about him and glared into where he assumed the man's face was. "I want you to know, when I'm done killing you I'm going to mutilate your body, in front of your parents," he said in a flat voice. The Guardian was too well trained to let go, but his hesitation was enough to allow Ronin to easily slip the man's grasp.

Ronin landed lithely on his feet. He drew his Sniper Rifle. He noticed a wavering form where he was standing. "Let me show you a little trick I taught a snotty little super not too long ago." Somersaulting into the air, he leapt backwards firing his Rifle at the same time, aiming for the weak spot he had hit before.

The bullet ricocheted off of something in midair. for a split second, a patch of armor was visible where the bullet had left it's mark. The patch glossed over again and faded from view.

"You get back here! I'm not done pummeling you yet!" The roar of the Battle Suit's jet engines filled the room again, and before you know it, you can feel the weight of the armor pressing down on you once more! The weight of the mechanical muscles has your own firing on all cylinders, but it is difficult to resist!

Once again the mercenary manged to squirm free. He landed heavily. Exhausted from the struggling, but he reached down deep into his reserves of energy to shake it off. He need to take this guy out. Quickly dodging to the side. Ronin scampered up the railings as quick as any ninja. He vaulted over the guardian's head and slashed at it with his swords.

Unfortunately for Ronin, the Guardian knew that trick. As soon as he saw Ronin leap off the wall, he moved quickly towards the wall. Ronin's leap ended up carrying him just out of reach of the Guardian.

"You have a lot of tricks up your sleeve, but they won't save you!"

There was a roaring sound, and suddenly the cloaked figure of the Guardian was right next to Ronin once again. Ronin felt the steel fist of the guardian sweep past his face missing him, but just barely.

"Drat! Stand still!"

Ronin parried the Guardian's aggressive attack. Sparks flew as the sword glanced against an armored forearm. "Kid I been doing this mercenary thing a long time." Ronin pressed his attack, swinging his blades. "You know how many invulnerable guys I killed by now." Ronin's blades flashed through the Guardian's defense to slice a gash in the armor. "When this is done your, just gonna be another scratch on my sword."

• 2 weeks later...

The Guardian hit the floor, landing with a clang. Ronin stalked up to the man. The sound of sputtering electronics from the sword wound, mixed with the Guardian's groans. "What did I tell you?" Ronin asked. "Didn't have to go this way," he said. "Wait now that I think about it. I guess it did. Last Words?" Ronin loomed over the fallen Guardian both blades held high. "Try, 'I'm sorry'."

Ronin lodged one of his swords into a gap in the armor the power suit granted it's user. However he couldn't tell if he had struck pay dirt or not. He couldn't tell if the man was dying, or just in agony.

"Damn you, you filthy mercenary!" The man cried, clutching at the place where the blade entered his suit. "Arrrhh" he groaned. "Well, I suppose good can't always win. *cough* You've beaten me. As per our agreement, the code to that security door is 8395-34365. Now leave me!" The glowing eyes of the power suit faded, and the man's head lolled to the side. He was either unconscious, or dead. But while the suit was on him there was no way to tell.

Sheathing his blades Ronin walked away from the fallen Guardian. Too bad, really the guy had guts. Now they are all over the floor. He stalked towards the door and winced. He touched his side. A couple broken ribs. They would heal. As the adrenaline faded he could feel his whole body throbbing.

Ronin approached the door cautiously. If there was anyone on the other side they must have heard the fighting. He punched in the digits. He tensed his body as he punched in the last number. Ready to spring away from the door if he needed to.

The room was as dark as pitch. No immediate danger presented itself, however. Ronin stalked into the room, prepared for anything. Anything that is, except for the sudden presence of light!

The lights in the room flashed on. Ronin covered his eyes for just a second while his pupil's painfully adjusted. There was a large metallic table that looked to be made out like a desk. There were monitor screens everywhere, and a man was sitting on the other side of the desk. - The man from the picture!

*clap* *clap* *clap* the man slowly brought his hands together, applauding Ronin's fight.

"Very good Mr. Mercenary. You've beaten my traps, and you've beaten my Guardian. Tell me. Did you leave him alive? I should think his wife and children will be upset if you didn't."

The man rose from his seat and rounded the table. He was dressed in a grey suit, a white shirt and a red tie. A cleanly cut hairdo topped his head, but it was as grey as his suit.

"So, Mr. Mercenary, you've come this far. Care to tell me why you have invaded my sanctum? Why are you here? What comes next?"

The man stood in front of Ronin, arms outstretched, welcoming the truth.

Ronin looked at the man. Another Rich tycoon."I hope his wife and kids like changing his colostomy bag," he said. "As for what's next..." Ronin eyed the man up trying to see if there was anything special or strange about him. Then he had a better idea. He took out his pistols and opened fire.

Ronin riddled the man with bullets. The man's body buffeted from the multiple wounds accumulating on his limbs and torso. Bullets fired everywhere, destroying most of the desk as well as the man. Then something strange began to happen.

Ronin felt like the man was pretty well dead. Yet he could not release the trigger.

Ronin felt like his guns should have been out of ammo long ago. Yet they kept firing.

The haze he had seen before that had guided his steps now descended upon the room. But this time it was thicker than it normally was. This time it enveloped everything. There was no sound except for the gunfire, and there was nothing to see except for the fog.

That's when it happened. Ronin sat bolt upright in bed. A cold sweat ran down his body. A dream? How? It was so vivid!

His eyes began to focus on the dark room. His ears began to recover from the sounds of his perceived gunfire. He heard the thing before he saw it.

It was like the sound of an iron lung. Clicking, wheezing and a fake drawing of breath.

Then his eyes came into focus. The metallic thing floated at the foot of his bed. It even had a soft glow. It was every bit the picture of the stereotypical brain-in-a-jar. But what was it doing here?

Suddenly it began to fade from view. Ronin had questions. But it offered him no answers...

To Be Continued...?

Ronin's hand dived under the pillow in his bed reaching for the pistol he kept there. By the time he swung it back around the brain had vanished. Ronin stared at the spot the apparition had been in for a short while. The only sounds where his slow breathing and passing cars outside. Realizing that the creature had left, Ronin pulled the covers off and searched the house. He knew it was gone but he hadn't lived long in this profession by taking things for granted.

As he expected, he found nothing. Wonder if that was the ghost of mercs past? He made his way the bathroom, to wash his face. As he moved his arms, in the sink he felt a sudden dull throb in his ribs. The same place the Guardian had squeezed him in. "Real enough then," he muttered. "Which means, he better give me my money."