Stesha blinked at him, taken aback. "You saw Ghostbusters in the theater?" she blurted out. "In the first run theater, in what, 1985?" Inwardly, she was doing a drastic reevaluation of Derrick's age. She'd sort of assumed he meant months or maybe a year when he said he'd been gone awhile. Could he have been gone for decades and come back looking the same?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He nodded slowly. "Uh...yes. '84 I think. Though it could have been '85. I don't remember exactly." he said a little awkwardly. It was the truth and it rarely occurred to him to not be honest. "I'm sorry. Should I not have said that? It was just poignant to the conversation. It didn't occur to me that it would catch you off guard. Or deceive you about my age. I was just being forthright. It wasn't my intention to...," he trailed off slowly. Babbling because he was a little nervous and not good at this. Come on man. We fought a Grue armada. Help stop an invasion of the entire reality. Fought supervillains calmly without pause. Stop acting like total dork in front of a pretty girl! He tried again, simply. "Sorry."

"No, no, it's okay," Stesha said, waving a hand. She took another sip of her wine. "It just surprised me, sort of. I'm not really used to people who, you know, look different than their age. It threw me off for a minute, that's all." They were both saved when the waiter came back with a different wine and their entrees, some kind of breaded chicken thing with spring vegetables in a ring around it. "Mmm, this looks great," Stesha said, perhaps just a little too enthusiastically. "The food here is really excellent."

He nodded, a little relieved he hadn't freaked her out, especially due to a passing comment. "Yeah, sorry. I haven't aged a day since my accident and change."

He nodded as the food came over, quite happy for a distraction as well. "Indeed. Quite savory." He took up his fork and began to try the sumptuous meal. It was quite good. He didn't really need to eat, but it was still an enjoyable experience. Even better, it let them take a break before he said something stupid again.

"That seems like something that happens to a lot of heroes, at least from what I've read," Stesha commented. "It seems kind of nice, actually, never getting old or creaky." She grinned. "People probably start asking questions after awhile, I guess. But it's kind of nice that with everything heroes give up, some of them don't give up their youth." Stesha paused, mild consternation crossing her face. "You know, I don't think I've ever asked Moira how old she is. She could be my age, or she could be five hundred years old. That's sort of a strange thought. "

He nodded. "Perhaps it is a some kind of cosmic, or karmic perhaps, trade-off?" He chuckled. "I bet that would lead to all sorts of odd questions. Not much of a secret identity if you hung around somewhere too long though." There was a downside as well, he knew. Being immortal wasn't all good.

He paused, wondering if he should answer but shrugged. "She's younger than I am, significantly so, if that helps. But I think you should ask her if it really matters. I'm not comfortable revealing information about other people without their express permission. Not my secrets to reveal. Occupational hazard," he said with a chuckle.

Stesha laughed. "That doesn't answer very much, since you could be thirty or five hundred thirty as well. But I guess age is really just a number. I'd think you'd lose track after a certain point, anyway. Too many candles on the cake." She sampled her vegetables, closing her eyes to savor the delicate seasonings. "Mmmm. So," she continued, opening her eyes again, "what's the coolest thing you've ever seen, out there in the galaxy?"

He chuckled. "Well, I'm 45 or so. I think. You're right, I do kind of loose track."

He enjoyed the food for a few minutes before raising an eyebrow at her question. "That's a hard question to answer. There's so much out there. Hmm...do you mean on a planet, a life form or some celestial phenomena? Cool as in breathtakingly beautiful, fascinating or just amazingly unbelievable?"

"Yes," she teased, waving her fork in a little circle. "Any of those will work nicely. I went through a phase where I watched a ton of those space shows on the Discovery Channel, but I'm sure it's got to look very different when you see it all close up. What would you go back and see first, if you had to pick?"

He grinned, chucking wryly. "There's a few people I know pretty well that I do visit and check up on from time to time. Friends I suppose you could say." He pondered, trying to pick something as a favorite. "I honestly don't know. There was this one planet that I'm pretty sure was just one big organism, evolving and possibly sentient. It would be interesting to see how far it's come along. And there were a few nebula that were stunningly beautiful. Or there were a few fascinating phenomena that I'm still curious about. Or there are a few paradise worlds that were amazing; peaceful and gorgeous. I've dropped people off there for little vacations on occasion. They seem to enjoy it immensely." He shrugged. "I'm not sure I have a favorite. Just too many options."

"It all sounds exciting to me," Stesha agreed, lifting her glass a few inches in tribute. "I'm not sure I even understand, though. How can a planet be sentient?" she asked. "Do you mean sort of metaphorically, where the different parts of the ecology work together so seamlessly that they seem like symbiotic parts of one organism, so that it seems nearly intelligent? Or are you talking about a living creature that hangs in space, as big as a planet, and has things living on it?" Both ideas were fascinating, really.

He shook his head a little. "No no. Not a massive creature living in space, though I've seen a few of those as well. This particular world seemed adaptive and aware on multitude of levels. There were animals and plants and all forms of life. Yet every plant, and even the other organisms to a minor degree, would grow and respond, perfectly in tune with each other. I've wondered if it was some form a hive mind among the various plants. Or perhaps like networked computers? The more of them that were together, the smarter it became? I never could communicate with it well enough to find out." He shrugged with a smile. "But mysteries and things like that are out there in abundance. Whether it was just a beautiful and fascinating or mysterious and fascinating, there is always more to see."

He spent a few moments, eating the succulent food. "So what what grabbed your interest for those Discovery shows?"

"Sort of a holiday, I guess," Stesha chuckled. "I took so many life sciences classes in school, it's easy to lose track of the bigger picture. With Earth so teeming with life forms, no matter what we try and do to them, it's valuable sometimes to get some perspective on how concentrated and rare that is. We know that there are other habitable worlds out there and other sentient life, but they're like tiny islands in an ocean of the dark. I think I like remembering that, because it reminds me how valuable and special all that life is, even when I'm up to my elbows in plant life that has no intention of behaving." Smiling, she took another bite of her vegetables. "And because it's just neat to learn new things. You must feel that way too, or you wouldn't go out there in the first place, right?"

He nodded. "Indeed. I got my degree in astrophysics because of that really. It was because of my fascination and curiosity. Then, once I was actually out there, it drove me from one thing to the next for two decades because I was so curious as to what was just past the next star or in the next system."

He took the last few bits of the entre, enjoying the food. He hadn't had a sit down meal this good in...he had no idea how long. He was actually thinking about what to discuss next. He could talk about his travels and what he'd seen for hours, but that seemed somewhat inappropraite. Dominating the conversation or having the conversatopm focused on him seemed a little rude as well as made him a little uncomfortable. He really was out of the dating thing. Not that he was ever really good at it in the first place.

"So, uh..." He just wasn't sure what to say next to change topics before lame inspiration struck. "This is quite good. How is your meal? I can see you're not a vegetarian or anything." Yeah, thrilling.

"Um, no," Stesha replied with a polite laugh. "The food's excellent. Best I've had in a really long time. And I had a veggie phase in college, but I made myself sick and quit. I try to be ecologically responsible in what I eat, and I don't really eat that often anymore, but when I do, I like a lot of different things." She didn't really want to talk politics or ecology at the table, so she scooted the subject over a little. "My mom's always been very big on natural gardening, so we at a lot of homegrown produce when I was growing up. That's really the best way to do it, if you've got the time and talent. Someday I want a big place like that, with room for a working garden."

He nodded, relieved the conversation didn't stall there.. "I can empathise. I don't eat very much myself these days. Though I suppose that's pretty obvious. I do remember one of the first things I did when I got back here and became solid was to go get a loaded bacon cheeseburger. And a loaded hotdog later that day. Wierd craving I suppose. And in actuality, it likely was that good but it certainly seemed delicious at the time."

"It certainly is more sound on a multitude of levels. I've noticed a trend lately for the 'all natural' thing. Perhaps humanity is learning." He observed his companion with interest. Despite his awkwardness and the oddities of their positions, it was actually a rather pleasant evening so far. Good conversation, a lovely companion and excellent food. This was certianly worth being bullied by Moira.

"Is that what you'd like? To live in a big house with a garden? For yourself or as part of your own store?" Some supers never never thought that far ahead or knew how such dreams would be accomplished. He certainly didn't.

"For myself," she told him, warming quickly to the topic of gardening. "It's much more efficient to grow commercial flowers on a large scale in a nursery. Even with my extra talent, that's not really something that interests me. I like arranging flowers for display more than I like actually growing and selling them. For my shop, I'd make arrangements with a few growers, the more local the better, and then just make what they couldn't. For my own garden, I wouldn't want too many regimented flowers. I like letting them do their own thing. Vegetables are a little different, obviously, but using organic techniques like Three Sisters gardening means that you can let them run wild for most of the season without having to do much weeding. A little orchard, some nut trees... I can fudge a little on the climate restrictions with my talents," she told him with a smile. "It wouldn't exactly be a self-sustaining lifestyle, but there'd be a good harvest every year.

"That's all years down the line though," she added, waving her hand. "I love Freedom City, and I love my job, and doing hero work. But I can't see doing it forever. What about you? If you're going to live forever, do you ever plan on quitting?"

He watched her face practically light up when she started talking. "So what's your favorite plant? Something that produces fruits or vegetables or a flower of some kind?"

He paused a little at her question, trying to think of how to answer. It had come up before but he'd never really had a solid answer or goal. "I...that's a tough one to answer. I love exploring and seeing the galaxy. I love being a hero and helping people, though I could happily leave the violence. And I think that I would like to have a wife and kids at some point. I'm unsure how all that would balance out and work together. It'd be nice to stop having to be a hero and fighting, as I said. But I don't think the world is going to get to that point anytime soon." He shrugged. "I have been told I possess a great deal of power. And as such or because of that power, I feel a rather strong sense of responsibility to use it well. It would be nice to quit and not have to engage in those battles. But I don't think it is likely. At this point, I'm not sure I could quit without feeling guilty about letting dangers and villains run around." He shrugged again. "I've thought about it a little obviously. Despite all the things I would like, that is the reality of it. And sadly, I'm not sure there is a way to resolve that very easily."

Dude! I really need to shut up already! Am I TRYING to ruin this date and depress her? I suck at this...

Stesha gave that idea serious thought, tapping her knuckles against her lips for a few moments before looking up at him. "I suppose it would be harder for you," she acknowledged with a nod. "For anyone with really great powers. If I retire, it means the Parks Department is left to care for the parks. The consequences could be a lot worse if you retired. But I guess that's why it's good that there are always new heroes coming up, too. Nobody can expect one hero to work forever, certainly not without taking a break. You'd forget what you were fighting for, or why you ever cared."

She smiled, picking up her fork again. "Maybe someday when you're ready to take a break, you'll be a teacher. Someone needs to teach the up-and-comers how to do it, and they'll respect someone who's already saved the world a hundred times. Teaching's a good gig. My dad does it, and one of my sisters. I'm sure it's not the exact same satisfaction as beating a villain in personal combat, but it's got its joys."

After taking a thoughtful bite and a sip of wine, she finally answered the other question. "I don't think I have a favorite. There are too many that are amazing in their own ways. Kind of like your planetary wonders, on a more microcosmic scale."

He shrugged a little. "I suppose that is very true. But I'm uncertain that I could simply walk away, even with an abundance of new heroes filling in, when there was something I could do to help. Not that I'm exceptionally skilled or talented mind you. I'd feel...obligated. I'm a strong believer in that 'heroes code' and I take it quite seriously. Probably a little more than I should. Certainly more than most people I come across."

He looked at her smile and heard her words and...paused. "A teacher? That's fascinating. I would have never actually thought of that. That's a rather intriguing possibility. I'll have to give that one some thought. But thank you," he said sincerely. He took a sip of wine and stared thoughtfully across the table for a few moments, letting her finish her food.

After chasing the last of her veggies across her plate, Stesha wiped her fingers on her napkin and took a sip of wine. The live combo had already started playing this evening, and there were several couples taking advantage of it on the dance floor. She watched them for a moment, looking over at Derrick to see if he'd take the initiative. She wasn't a very good dancer, but she still enjoyed it. And it seemed a shame to waste the night, and the dress.

Derrick gave the mental equivalent of a gulp. He was nowhere near coordinated enough to take a pretty lady out on the dance floor. It would take some of his built up heroic karma to pull this off without looking ridiculous. However, as a gentleman, he would be remiss if he didn’t make the attempt. And he would never give such an insult. (Besides, dancing while solid might be fun.)

He stood up, and moved around the table to her and extended his hand. “If it would please you...May I have this dance?†He smiled a little. "I promise I shall do my utmost to no embarrass you."

"I'd like that," Stesha said with enthusiasm, taking his hand and rising from the table. "I love dancing, but I normally only get to do it at weddings." She laughed. "I don't think they'll make us do the Chicken Dance here though, thank God." Stepping onto the dance floor, she put one hand on his shoulder, the other in his hand. "I admit, I don't really know the steps," she told him. "We might just have to make it up as we go along." He was tall, but not so tall that it was awkward, especially with her heels to help out. It just meant she had to stand a little bit closer, and that wasn't so bad.

"Stars and stones, thank you for that," he said. "They still do the Chicken Dance? The horrors," he shakes his head chuckling.

He took her hand gently, his other hand coming a rest an inch or so above the small of her back. "That's good then since I have no idea what I'm doing either." She was pleasantly close as they started to move. She smelled like a fresh flower garden on a spring day. Crisp, clean a plethora of floral scents. Quite lovely and far better than the artificial perfumes women seemed to use. He smiled. "It appears I owe Moira an apology and a 'thank you'."

She beamed him a smile for the compliment as they started to move, just a little swaying and turning in tempo with the music. "I do too," she admitted. "I really wasn't sure about this whole idea, but I'm having a really nice time. And they most certainly do still do the Chicken dance at weddings," she added with a laugh. "I consider myself an expert on weddings, and the chicken dance is always a favorite, right up until you get to the black and white tie affairs. When my brother Jasha got married, we did the Chicken Dance, and the Hokey Pokey, and the YMCA. It's all a little fuzzy to me now, but I think there may have been a conga line as well. It was wild."