Fleur de Joie

Introduction

Give a two or three word description of yourself. (Describe your character's concept.)

Naive super-gardener

Do you have any nicknames, street names, titles, or nom de plume?

My hero name is Fleur de Joie, after the plant that sneezed on me and started all this.

What is your full birth name?

Stesha

Where do you live?

A little apartment in downtown Freedom City

Why do you live there?

It's close to my job, and I managed to get a deal on the rent because I don't mind a little extra humidity and train noise.

What do you perceive as your greatest strength?

I am an excellent florist, and I have a great eye for color. I can see just what flowers would work in any situation.

What do you perceive as your greatest weakness?

I'm kind of a chicken. Even though I have superpowers. I don't stand up for myself very well.

Physical Traits

How old are you?

I'm twenty-four, as of this past May 1.

What is your sex?

Femalee

What is your race?

I was born Caucasian. Right now I'm starting to get a little iffy on the "human" thing.

How tall are you?

5'3

How much do you weigh?

A lady never tells.

What is your general body type, frame, bone structure, and poise?

I could stand to lose ten or fifteen pounds, but who couldn't? I've got nice curves where it counts, even if I'm maybe a little soft around the edges. Gotta lay off the cheesecake.

What is your skin colour?

Generally fair, though I tan in the summer

What is your hair colour?

::Sigh:: Green like new leaves.

What is your hair style?

It's very long. When it was shorter it was very curly, but now that it's so heavy, it's mostly wavy. I keep it pinned up and out of the way because it hurts like hell when it gets caught on something. I dress it with flowers because I like them, and because it makes people think it's just a hippie fashion statement.

Do you have any facial hair?

Oddly enough, my eyebrows are not green, they are still light brown.

What is your eye colour?

Blue, like everyone in my family.

How attractive are you?

People tell me I'm really cute, but I don't know if they mean that in a good way or not.

What is your most distinguishing feature?

I have green hair down to my waist. That's what people tend to notice first.

Do you have any scars, tattoos, or birthmarks?

Okay, you can't tell anyone, but when I was in college I went temporarily insane and got a little blue butterfly tattoo on my thigh. On the back of my thigh. Very high on the back of my thigh. Okay, fine. I have a butterfly tattooed on my butt. Happy?

What is your handedness (left/right/ambidextrous)?

Right-handed

Do you resemble some currently known person?

Not really. I mean, there's a family resemblance between me and my mom and my sisters, but that's it.

What kind of clothing do you wear?

I like to buy nice clothes and labels when I can get it, but my rent is high. I have nice clothes to wear on the front end at work, but mostly it's jeans for me when I'm arranging or working. I like to think I can dress up nice for an occasion.

Do you wear makeup?

Sure, but it's hard to find the tones to go well with this hair.

What sort of vocal tone do you have?

I sing soprano. I was in the show choir and some musicals back in high school, but I never had the looks to play the leads.

History

Where is your homeland?

I was born in the U.S. My mom's from Russia, but her family immigrated when she was still young. I have some extended family out near Moscow, but I only met them once.

Are you aware of its history?

Not so much Russia, but I've had plenty of U.S. history.

Are you patriotic or a social outcast?

Sort of on the fringe. I know my country's done plenty of bad things, but it's still a good place. I'm really glad I was born here and not there.

What are your opinion of home?

I love my home, it's a great place to visit, but I'm sooooo glad I moved out of Chicago finally. Do you know how much static I'd be getting over the hair and the lack of boyfriend? All the same, I miss my huge backyard and Mom's garden.

Where is your home town?

Evanston, Illinois. Dad teaches at Northwestern, and the sibs and I went to school there for cheap!

Are your real reasons for becoming an adventurer different from what you tell others?

Not really. I mean, mostly I want to make the world a better place. If superheroines tend to be smolderingly hot columns of excellent self-esteem and personal magnetism, that's just an offshoot of making the world a better place, right?

How far would you go to keep such secrets from being revealed? What would you do if the truth became known?

Well, I'd be embarrassed, but considering that I managed to tell all of my coworkers that I've never gotten laid and still survived the experience, I guess it wouldn't be that bad. Though I'm pretty sure I'd be out of a job if my boss found out I've been moonlighting.

What do you fear would occur if the truth became known?

Like I said, I'd get fired if people found out I was doing hero work, and my family would have a fit. I don't really think the reasons for it would have much to do with it.

Do you have any particularly high or low ability scores?

I'm very sturdy. This is good, because I totally suck at fighting.

How have these scores affected your life so far?

I don't get drunk anymore (mostly!) and I can fall off things with impunity.

What about your race, growing up were you in the majority or a minority?

Very much the majority

Did this impact your outlook in any way?

I dunno. My family weren't racist or anything, but I guess the place you grow up always affects you somehow.

How do you feel about other races?

As long as we're staying within the purview of "the human race," I think everyone's pretty much equal. Society just needs to catch up to that.

Were there any traumatic experiences in your early years (death of a family member, abandonment, orphaned at an early age)?

Not really, aside from a very traumatic ten minutes at Sears when I was about five. A nice saleslady took me to customer service and called my mom on the intercom.

Briefly describe a defining moment in your childhood and how it influenced your life.

I don't know it was so much a moment as a series of moments. I always took after my dad in being fascinated by plants, but it was watching my mom help pregnant women and sick people that really drew me. Being able to save life is such a powerful thing.

What stupid things did you do when you were younger?

All kinds of stupid things. I had older brothers, after all. We stuck a stick in a beehive once, to see if we could get honey. And then there was the time we tried to build our own treehouse and it collapsed and we fell out. And the time that we tried to ride our bikes down the dirt road after the rain, and got buried in mud to the spokes, and tried to dig them out, and finally Dad had to come down with the truck and get the bikes, but we were so dirty that we had to walk home and get hosed off. And many other things as well!

Which toys from your childhood have you kept?

Most of my toys got hand-me-downed, but I still have my Barbie doll collection in a box in my closet, and a few other keepsakes laying around.

Why? What do they mean to you? If you didn't keep any, why not? What did you do to them all?

I keep my Barbies in the boxes to keep them nice. They were some of the only toys I had that I could keep nice, with all the kids in my family. That was cool. I like looking at them sometimes, even though they never appreciated in value the way I'd sort of hoped.

Do you have any deep, dark secrets in the past that may come back to haunt you?

No, not really. I've done things I'm not very proud of, but they're the sort of mean things preteen and teenage girls do to each other before they learn how to be decent humans. I haven't got any skeletons.

Are you who you claim to be?

I'm not sure I'm really a superhero, not quite yet, but I'm not going to stop saying I am until I am!

Do you have any sort of criminal record?

No way! I would not be alive!

How do you view the heroes/legends of your country?

Thanks to my mom and her friends, I know that there are two sides to every story, and that a lot of American legends are really not all they're cracked up to be. Heroes, on the other hand, are generally worth looking up to and trying to emulate.

Family

Who were your parents?

Paul and Anastasia Madison.

Were you raised by them? If not, then why didn't they and who did raise you?

Raised by them, and my grandparents, and all Mom and Dad's friends, and the aunts and uncles... It really did take a village, but there were a lot of us.

What was their standing in the community?

Dad's a professor of Botany at Northwestern. The school's a fairly big employer in the community, and Northwestern is an excellent school. He's got some good cred. Mom travels in mostly different circles. She's a very respected complementary medicine practitioner and midwife, and she's trusted enough that the local clinics call her in often, but it's not exactly super-scientific. They both have lots of friends, and we have lots of family locally.

Did your family stay in one area or move around a lot?

They parked it in Evanston long before I was born and never moved. This is partially because the basement is full of so much of the kids' leftover junk that Mom swears she'd rather die in place than ever try to move.

How did you get along with their parents?

Really good, aside from that rebellious time when I was sixteen and seventeen. By the time I was getting there, though, they'd already done it five times, and they played me like a violin. I really want them to be proud of me and not worry.

How would your parents describe you? Answer this in the voice of your mother, then in your father's.

"Stesha always had such an inquisitive mind, but you had to keep an eye on her every minute, especially with the boys around. She always wanted to be doing what they were doing, which was usually something foolish. Now that she's an adult, she's starting to find her own way, at last."

"Bright, certainly bright enough, and eager to learn. It's a shame that she decided not to pursue academia, but it's not too late. She's got plenty of time to decide that she doesn't want to spend the rest of her life arranging flowers. As long as she's happy and living responsibly, her mother and I are happy for her."

Do you have any siblings? If so how many and what were their names? How did you get along with each of your siblings?

I have five siblings. One much-older sister Grace, three older brothers, Basil, Jasha, and David, and one younger sister, Chloe. We all get along pretty well, especially now that we're all, except Chloe, out of the house and not competing for scarce resources anymore.

What was your birth position in the family?

Fifth of six. Grace was first in 1975, then Basil in '78, Jasha in '80, David in '83, me in '85, and Chloe in '87. Mom really likes babies.

List all current knowledge of family locations, spouses, children, birth dates, schooling, and any important incidents that only you and they might remember.

Grace and her husband and two kids still live in Evanston, and so does Jasha and his wife. They're expecting their first kid in the fall. Basil moved out to California to be a happier gay guy, and Mom just wishes he would find a nice boy and settle down. David's finishing his residency at one of the hospitals in Chicago, I can't remember which because they keep moving him around. Chloe's still living at home, and studying writing at Northwestern.

Do you stay in touch with them or have you become estranged?

We all email and call home frequently. I talk to my folks at least once a week, and go home on holidays. Contact with the siblings is a little more sporadic, but we keep in touch.

Do you love or hate one member of the family in particular?

When I was younger, I idolized my older brothers. In high school and college, they drove me crazy with their overprotectiveness. I pretty much never had a date that they didn't ruin. But now that there's a solid day's travel between us, I like them again. Grace was always so much older than I am that she was almost more like a second mom, but I loved her too. Chloe and I were probably the most competitive for resources, but since she was the baby, I got just a little more freedom.

Is any member of the family special to you in any way (perhaps, as a confidant, mentor, or arch-rival)?

My mother and I are really close. I wish I could tell her about this heroing thing, but I know she wouldn't understand. She worries too much.

Are there any black (or white) sheep in the family (including you)?

Not really. We've all gone our own way, but that's pretty much all right, because we're all responsible people with good jobs who don't do anything crazy. Aside from the superhero thing. But they don't know about that.

If so, who are they and how did they "gain" the position?

N/A

Do you have a notorious or celebrated ancestor?

When I was little, my grandpa swore we were descendants of Davy Crockett, but I'm pretty certain that this is not, in fact, the case.

If so, what did this person do to become famous or infamous?

He had a TV show and wore a raccoon hat.

Do you try to live up to the reputation of your ancestor, try to live it down, or ignore it?

Like I said, Grandpa liked to tell stories.

Do you ever want to have a family of your own someday?

Yeah, definitely. I want a husband and kids, though probably not six kids. Six kids is too many.

Would anything change your mind on this issue and if so, what?

Never ever ever finding a husband.

What type of person would be your ideal mate?

Swear to God, I get less picky every year. I'll go with hominid and showers regularly.

Relationships

Do you have any close friends? If so, who and what are they like?

I have lots of friends at work, but I don't know that we're close yet. I've only been here a few months. I have friends at home and in Chicago.

What is the history of their relationship(s) with you?

I make friends pretty easily wherever I go. It's hard to stay in touch though, with all of us in a very "moving-on" time in our lives.

Do you currently have a best friend whom you would protect with your reputation or your life?

My best friend from college is named Kate Walters. We were roommates freshman year and bonded right away. She's in Iowa City right now getting a master's degree, but I really hope she moves to Freedom sometime. There's also Moira, who I really like and who is generally nice to me, but I don't think she needs any protection.

If so, who are they and what caused you to feel so close to them? What would have to happen for you to end this relationship?

With Kate, I don't think anything would drive us apart permanently. We shared so much in college, even just talking on the phone is like being right there in the dorm room again. And heck, Moira already slept with my ex-boyfriend and we're still okay.

Do you have any bitter enemies?

The Beekeeper seems to think I'm his archnemesis.

If so, who are they, what are they like, and what is the history of their feud with you?

He broke the window of my shop and decided that a florally themed hero was just the ticket, or something.

Have you defeated them before?

Yeah, but it wasn't pretty.

How might these enemies seek to discomfit you in the future?

He's in jail now, but I have a sneaking suspicion he'll be back.

Which person(s) or group(s) are you most loyal to?

My family, hands down.

Who is your most trusted ally?

Probably my parents, despite this whole keeping-secrets business. They've always been there for me, my whole life. And my brothers and sisters too, but they're all spread out.

Who do you trust, in general?

I trust my family, some of my friends at work. I trust Moira, despite that little, um, bobble with Jack.

Who do you despise and why?

Jack. Jack is slime.

Name seven things you hate in others.

Being slime. Not keeping promises. Destroying the environment. Being really cocky.

Destroying anything that doesn't belong to you. Being careless of other people. Not appreciating beauty.

Is your image consistent?

Sort of, I think it's in the process of changing. There's that weird time after college, you know, when you're still turning into an adult.

Do you deliberately present yourself differently in different situations, and how?

Sure. I'm professional at work, casual with my friends, and maybe a little bit insane when I'm out doing hero work.

What would you die for?

I really don't want to die. My family, I guess, but they wouldn't want that.

What is the worst thing someone has done to you?

Well, I want to say "everything Jack has done," but that has the advantage of recency. I guess it was the time this total Bridezilla threw a huge altarpiece at me and just about gave me a concussion, then tried to go to court so she wouldn't have to pay for it. We ended up eating the cost. I was so mad, I cried.

What is your general reaction to an attractive member of the opposite sex who lets you know they are available?

To strike out, absolutely and irrevocably, usually in the most embarrassing way possible.

How do you get along with others of the same adventuring class?

Is that like a pilates class? Because I only went to one session of that, and then I couldn't walk right for two days. They wouldn't give me a refund, either.

Have you lost any loves?

Never had any to lose, but I'm still hanging in there.

How did you handle the situation (short & long term)?

I've been dumped, I usually self-medicate with saturated fats. In the long term, I try to shrug it off. There's someone out there for me, I just have to keep looking for a guy who really likes green hair and a little bounce.

Who would miss you should you go missing?

Lots of people, especially my family. I swear, if I don't check in somehow with someone every other day, my mom thinks I've been kidnapped by aliens.

How close are you to your adventuring companions?

I'm still working on the adventuring companions thing. I'd really like to join a super team someday. Moira says she's working on putting one together. I don't know that I wouldn't be more like a mascot or something, but it would be really cool to get where the action is and not have the scariness of being by myself.

What do they not know about you?

They don't know anything yet, but they will eventually.

Are you a member of any house, guild, organization, or church? What is your level of involvement?

No, not really. My family wasn't really into organized religion. We believe in acting morally and doing the right thing and being good people, but most churches looked funny at one of my parents, for different reasons, and no one was ever totally comfortable.

Personality & Beliefs

Do you, or did you, have any role models?

My mom is a big role model for me. Watching her save peoples' lives really inspired me, and it was her, even more than my dad, who got me interested in gardening. Dad got me interested in how plants work, but Mom made me fall in love with them.

Do you have any heroes or idols, either contemporary or from legend?

I've always been a fan of Johnny Appleseed, I've gotta say. Sure, maybe spreading non-native plants wrecks local ecosystems and destroys native flora, but who doesn't like apples? He was trying to do a good thing, and he helped people.

Did you ever become disillusioned with former heroes or idols? If so, why and what were the circumstances?

Every kid eventually learns that her parents aren't perfect, but mine are still very very good.

When did you decide to become an adventurer?

When I figured out that I had real superpowers, and that I could use them to help people. I couldn't do it in Chicago, because I didn't want to get caught. But once I moved to Freedom City, the adventure was on!

Why have you chosen to risk your life as a career?

I don't really like to think of it that way. I'm more of an unpaid landscaper who occasionally runs into, or away from, bad guys.

What do you expect to get out of being an adventurer? What, if anything, would make you stop adventuring?

It makes me feel great when I look around and see a park full of flowers, and even better if someone says something nice in the paper or on a website the next day. I think I will probably stop adventuring when I'm ready to start a family, or if it becomes too dangerous to keep doing what I do. I don't want to fight bad guys all the time, I want to make things nice.

Do you have any dreams or ambitions? If not, why?

Someday I want to own my own flower shop, one with a great reputation that caters to the unusual and has the right arrangement for every occasion.

What are your short term goals (what would you like to be doing within a year)?

I'd like to have the hero thing figured out, and maybe to have moved up to supervising weddings, even small ones.

What are your long term goals (what would you like to be doing twenty years from now)?

I want to be in my own shop, supervising all the weddings and everything else, and living in a beautiful house with my adoring husband while my brilliant children prepare for college.

If these goals seem at odds with each other, or with your dreams, how do you reconcile the differences?

I know exactly what I want, and I know I can have my shop if I work hard. I just hope I don't eventually end up subbing in "amiable sperm bank" for "adoring husband."

Do you have any great rational or irrational fears or phobias? If so, what are the origins of, or reasons behind them?

I really don't like scary movies, okay? I know it's stupid, and they're just movies, but I have nightmares about them the next time I sleep. I especially hate Hitchcock. He himself is so creepy, and his movies are even worse! When I was just little, I snuck downstairs one night and saw Grace and her friends watching an Alfred Hitchcock thing where a guy smothered his wife with a pillow, and then ground up her hands in a meat grinder and fed it to cats. It gave me bad dreams for years.

How do you react when this fear manifests itself?

Generally I leave the room or the theatre. If it's a bad dream about a scary movie, I remind myself that it wasn't real, and I put on music until I go back to sleep.

What are your attitudes regarding material wealth?

I would like to have some, thank you! Not huge buckets, but enough for my own business and a nice house and a retirement plan and a college fund. Well, maybe a few huge buckets, come to think of it. Everything costs so much.

Are you miserly with your share of the wealth, or do you spend it freely?

I'm not very good at saving. I give to charity, but I also like going out with my friends and buying nice things. And my rent is way expensive.

Do you see wealth as a mark of success, or just as a means to an end?

Definitely a means to an end. Saving money for a purpose, or just for a rainy day fund is smart. Keeping money because having it makes you important is stupid. What good is money itself? It's just stinky cloth paper until you spend it.

How do you generally treat others?

I try to be nice to everyone. Sometimes people, especially customers, really try my patience, but I do my best to calm them down and chill out. People who treat other people badly really aren't very happy themselves.

Do you trust easily (perhaps too easily) or not?

I'm sure I trust too easily. Trust too easily, fall in love too fast, turn a blind eye to jerkitude until the last possible moment.

Are you introverted (shy and withdrawn) or extroverted (outgoing)?

I'm pretty extroverted, most of the time. It makes me a better salesperson. With so many people in my house growing up, you had to make some noise if you wanted any attention!

Are you a humble soul or blusteringly proud?

I'm proud of the things I do well, but I like to think I have a balance. There's enough things I'm really bad at to keep my head from getting too swelled up. I have a lot of pride in my work, but I think that's different.

What habits do you find most annoying in friends?

Not keeping in touch. With everyone spread out so much, it's way too easy to lose contact if you don't take it seriously.

What are your most annoying habits?

Sometimes I talk way too much, especially when I'm feeling kind of nervous. I bite my nails, and when I was little I chewed the ends of my hair, though I've long since stopped that.

Is there any race, creed, alignment, religion, class, profession, political viewpoint, or the like against which you are strongly prejudiced, and why?

I have a really hard time taking seriously anyone who doesn't care about the environment. What are they planning to do when this planet is dead? Sure there may be alternate universes, but it's not like we can all just go there! This is our planet, and we have a responsibility to it! Saying that global warming doesn't exist or that species going extinct is less important than jobs is just moronic babbling to pacify the stupidest part of society. Drives me crazy!

What is your favourite food?

Anything with a lot of sugar and milkfat in it.

What is your favourite drink?

Pretty much the same, but in a cup! Try a cupcake... in a cup!

What is your favourite treat (desert)?

Okay, fine. Cheesecake, it's cheesecake!

Do you favour a particular cuisine?

When I'm actually eating food and not just scarfing dessert, I love Thai.

Do you savor the tastes when eating or "wolf down" your food?

A little of both. If a little delicious food is good, a lot of delicious food is even better, right?

Do you like food mild or heavily spiced?

I like mine heavily sugared and chocolated. Is chocolate a spice? I think it's close enough.

Are there any specific foodstuffs that you find disgusting or refuse to eat?

Zucchini. No zucchini for me, please. One year my mom planted way too many zucchini and was determined to use it all. The day we had zucchini pancakes with zucchini lumps and maple syrup was the day I said No Thank You.

What are your favourite colour(s)?

I'm pretty fond of green, thank God. But I love all bright colors. I think summertime flowers are the best, because they're not pastels or the deep umbers, they're so vivid and brilliant.

Is there any colour that you dislike?

I'm not a huge fan of beige. It's so noncommittal. Pick something, anything, you know? No flowers really match beige.

Do you have a favourite (or hated) song, type of music, or instrument?

I really like peppy pop music. I hate anything with a bass loud enough to shake my windows. Aren't the trains loud enough?

If you have a favourite scent, what is it?

Newly bloomed hyacinth. They're amazing. Lilacs are really nice too, but you pretty much need a whole bush, or your cuttings fade in a couple of days. Lily of the Valley is also really wonderful.

What is your favourite type of animal?

I like penguins. Especially when Morgan Freeman is telling me about how they love each other.

Are you allergic to any kinds of animals?

Not that I know of. I've thought about getting a cat, but then I'd just be a crazy cat spinster, and I'm way too young.

Is there anything that enrages you?

Litterbugs. Could people BE any more inconsiderate? This place has trash cans every hundred yards! Hold it in your hand, stick it in your pocket! Do you think the trash fairy is going to come along and clean it up for you?

Is there anything which embarrasses you?

I have trouble with the opposite sex. I don't really want to talk about it.

Do you enjoy "roughing it", or do you prefer your creature comforts?

Creature comforts, definitely. Camping might be fun for a weekend, but my back wants to sleep in a bed. And have you ever tried to wash a yard of hair with a hose?

Do you have a patron deity?

I haven't really thought about it. My patron saint is supposedly St. Fiacre, patron saint of gardeners and florists. He was a bit of a bastard though, a he-man woman hater from the very old school. I don't know that I want to claim him, even if he did have a mean hand with a spade.

Are you devout or impious?

Probably impious, if you're talking about any given deity. I have a great respect for life and for people being good to each other, but I don't know that any religion has it right enough to be worth devoting a lot of piety to.

Do you actively worship and proselytize or do you simply pay lip service?

Neither, really. I mean, I'm a superhero, I'm trying to be a good example of being nice to others and taking care of the planet, but there's no church for that.

What lengths would you go to defend your faith?

I would give someone a very dirty look for littering. Maybe I would even clear my throat very loudly.

Was your faith influenced or molded by anyone special?

Not really. Mostly by my family, I guess.

Do you belong to a dominant church, or an independent church, cult, or sect (and is the group accepted, frowned upon, or considered heretics)?

Not really. With my mom being a sort of alternative medicine near-hippie type and my dad being a scientist, most churches were kind of skeptical of my family. Most church doctrines, anyway. A lot of our friends go to church and that was always okay.

Will you kill?

I will kill bugs without mercy! But if you're talking human beings, no way. I don't think I could ever do that. Even if I were physically capable, I don't think I could pull the trigger, or whatever.

When do you consider it okay to kill (under what circumstances)?

Even though I couldn't do it myself, so maybe I'm just a coward, I think people should have their own route out if they're too sick to have any quality of life anymore. And if they need help to get out, it's just compassion to do that. In other circumstances... I dunno, maybe if there's literally no other way to save a bunch of people besides killing the person who's threatening them. But I wouldn't like it.

When do you consider it wrong to kill (under what circumstances)?

Pretty much any circumstances. If you can't build it, don't break it! Sometimes people do really horrible things and you want to kill them, but that's why we have prisons that will keep those people locked up forever. It's not our business saying who lives and who dies, any more than it is a supervillain's.

What would you do if someone else attempted to (or successfully did) kill under your "wrong" circumstances, what would be your reaction?

I would be appalled. I would try and see that they were brought to justice. Murder is murder, even if you tell yourself that your motive was pure.

What if it were your enemy?

The same thing, and try to restrain him if I thought that he was liable to do it again before he could be subdued by people who are better at this than I am.

What if it were your friend?

The same thing. If they could do something like that, there's something that's gone wrong with them and they need help.

What if the opponent were not in control of their own actions (under duress, charmed, dominated, possessed)?

I would try and find the person who was actually responsible and see them brought to justice, not only on behalf of the victim, but on behalf of the person whose autonomy was taken.

What would you do if something were stolen from you?

Call the police, or maybe Moira. Maybe my mom, too. I don't have much that's worth a lot, but it's still mine! Maybe I should pick up some renter's insurance.

What would you do if you were badly insulted publicly?

Probably go cry about it and eat ice cream. I'm not what you might call good at standing up for myself.

What would you do if a good friend or relative were killed by means other than natural death?

I would be really, really upset, maybe for a long time. I'm so close to my family, having one of them die untimely... it would be really bad. But I like to think that after the mourning, I would work hard to get justice for them.

What is the one task you would absolutely refuse to do?

There are a lot of tasks I would refuse to do. I didn't go to school all those years and work my way up because I wanted to do a whole lot of scutwork. But I guess if there were really good reasons, I'd do most yicky chores and things. I wouldn't do anything to hurt my family or friends.

What do you consider to be the worst crime someone could commit and why?

Murdering innocent people, especially kids.

How do you feel about government (rulers) in general? Why do you feel that way?

I think most of them have their heads in the sand when it comes to the environment, and are entirely too willing to do whatever it takes to get elected, even at the expense of future generations.

Do you support the current government of your homeland?

In general, I mean I'm not an anarchist, but they really make me mad sometimes.

If so, how far are you willing to go to defend the government? If not, do you actively oppose it?

I'm more the sort who would fight to keep chaos from reigning down locally. It's not good for anyone to have anarchy descend, but I'm not the super-patriotic type, either. In a riot, I'd try to keep people from getting hurt, but I wouldn't be out there suppressing free speech.

What form of government do you believe is the best (democracy, monarchy, anarchy, aristocratic rule, oligarchy, matriarchy) and why?

Representative democracy would be the best, if the people we elected didn't tend to be mostly photogenic morons.

Do you have any unusual habits or dominant personality traits that are evident to others?

Everyone says I'm a very nice person. That's not always entirely true, but I do try to be nice. I have to spend a lot of time fussing with my hair, but I generally do that in private so no one notices.

If so, describe them and how you acquired them, as well as when they might be more noticeable and what causes them.

My hair's gotten really, really long since I got my powers. It hurts to cut it more than a trim, so instead I fool around with it, pin it back and put it up, so it at least stays out of the way. When it's down, I'm always playing with it. But at least I don't chew on the ends like I did when I was little.

Do you have any unusual or nervous mannerisms, such as when talking, thinking, afraid, under stress, or when embarrassed?

I start talking kind of stupidly, with lots of ums and you knows and likes, things like that. I'm almost always carrying some seeds in my pocket, and I'll start fidgeting with them when I'm bored.

What is your most treasured possession?

Probably the gold necklace and earrings I got from my folks when I graduated high school. I hardly ever wear them except on really special occasions, but they're just beautiful. When I get married someday, I'm going to find a dress to match them, instead of getting jewelry to match a dress.

If your life were to end in 24 hours, what 5 things would you do in those remaining hours?

I would try to get home and be with my family. I would want to tell them everything, so they wouldn't find any secrets after I was gone, and tell them how much I love them. And I would make sure that my will was in order, and that somebody was going to take care of all my plants. Wow, that's a really morbid question. Why would you even ask a question like that?

Career & Training

Where and how were you educated?

I went to public school in Evanston, my home town. After high school, I got a scholarship to Northwestern, partially for grades and partially because Dad has worked there for just about ever. I got my degree in Botany there, but decided I didn't want to go for a master's, at least not yet.

Who trained you in your adventuring class(es)?

I'm sort of self-taught. Moira's going to help me pick up some pointers, I think. She's also starting a team, which would be pretty neat.

What was your relationship with your teacher(s)/mentor(s)?

Really good, we're really good friends except for that thing with Jack and I'm pretty much over that by now. I mean, she knew him first, right, and it was only one date. Who can blame them, when they're both so pretty?

Is this person or institution still in existence?

I certainly hope so!

Were you a prize student or did you just barely pass?

I always did well in school. Even when I didn't really pay much attention, I still did fine on my homework and everything. I hope I pick up the hero stuff as quickly, but frankly I'm not holding my breath.

Look at your skills. How did you acquire them (especially the unusual ones)?

Mostly through school and working. Some of it, like sneaking around and finding things, I mainly picked up while I was growing up. If you've got a really big yard, you're going to have really big games of hide and seek!

Have you ever done anything else for a living?

No, I've worked at different places, but even in college I worked at a flower shop. It's what I love to do, and I like to think I'm really good at it. I like making people happier on the happiest and saddest days of their lives.

How do you function in combat (maneuvers, weaknesses)?

Honestly, I pretty much suck at it. When I have to fight someone, I try to knock them down and wrap them up in vines, then hold them inside a plant until the police get there. It's basically my only move.

Have you ever received any awards or honours?

I graduated high school with honors, and I've always gotten good grades. I won the spelling bee in seventh grade. I haven't exactly been a shining star as an adult, but I've got lots of time.

Is there anything that you don't currently know how to do that you wish you could?

Sure, tons of stuff! I'd like to be able to fight, sure, but I would also like to know everything my mom does about tincturing medicines, and the medical uses of various herbs. I thought I would learn that at school, but they don't really teach that. I'd love to learn another language, especially Spanish or even Russian.

Are you envious of others who can do such things in a good-natured way or are you sullen and morose about it?

I try not to let myself get too down about things I can't do. Sometimes I feel a little depressed because I know I'll never be a big time hero, but I remind myself that that's not what I set out to do. I don't want to fight all the time, I want to make the world a more beautiful place!

Lifestyle & Hobbies

When not adventuring, what is your normal daily routine?

Even though I hardly ever sleep anymore, I set my alarm for six so I know when it's time to start getting ready for work. I water all the plants and have my breakfast, if I feel like eating, then I go lay out on the roof patio for an hour or so with my hair down to soak up the dawn. It's best in the summer. After that I take a shower, get dressed, fix up my hair and put new flowers in it, and get ready for work. I go to work around eight-thirty, since it's within brisk walking distance. I can always use a brisk walk. I work till six most days with an hour for lunch, then go home. I spend a few hours relaxing and doing my chores, and then, if I'm going to go out for the night, I go our around eleven.

How do you feel and react when this routine is interrupted for some reason?

It depends on the reason. I'm always up for a vacation trip or an exciting interruption. But tedious and irritating things like really bad weather or people who keep me late at work annoy me.

What are your hobbies when you are not adventuring or training?

Gardening, of course. I love my indoor garden. I need to get a house as soon as I can, just to be able to get my fingers really back down in the soil. I also like watching movies, and eating. I spend time on the computer almost every day, communicating with my family on email and Facebook.

What do you do for relaxation? What things do you do for enjoyment? What interests do you have?

When I really need to relax, I take a long, hot, epsom salt bath. Doesn't smell as good as bubble bath, but it's great for hair and skin, and afterwards I can dump the water on the plants for fertilizer. I like to garden, like I said, and go out with my friends.

How do you normally dress when not in your adventuring gear?

I like having nice clothes and good labels, but I have more of a knockoff budget. Professional wear for work, jeans when I'm just relaxing. I have some very nice outfits for when I go out, so long as I can keep my thighs and butt in check.

What do you normally wear in bed at home?

Um... well, when I do sleep, most of the time I don't wear anything.

What do you normally wear in bed while adventuring?

I've never gone adventuring overnight, unless you count drunken near-assault an adventure. That time I wore my day clothes and fell asleep on the ground.

Do you wear any identifiable jewelry?

No, it's too easy to get it dirty. Someday I will though. Whether it's a band on my finger or beads and a cross around my neck, I swear.

Where do you normally put your weapons, magic items, or other valuables when you are sleeping?

My, ah, magic items? Um... well... in the dresser drawer by my bed. Why do you even _care?_

What morning or evening routines do you normally have?

I think I already spelled those out. They're pretty typical, really. I don't sleep, so I don't have a bedtime.

Do these change when you are adventuring?

Nah, I'm usually home long before dawn. Adventuring is a part of my schedule, I work it in!

Travel: how do you get around locally?

During the day, I generally walk or take the bus. I have a car, but it's just so much of a pain to drive in Freedom City traffic. I swear, it's worse than Chicago, and everyone is so rude.

Do you have a Last Will and Testament?

Yeah, but just one of those from-a-kit do it yourself things. I got it on sale at Book World. It's mainly just to say which of my siblings gets what of my things, so nobody fights.

What does it say?

Grace gets my Barbie dolls, because she's the only one who wouldn't mess them up. Chloe gets all my books, Mom and Dad get the plants and jewelry, and the boys can quibble over any of the furniture that they like.

Miscellaneous

What would you like to be remembered for after your death?

For being a good sister, a loving daughter, someone who brought happiness to the people she worked for and with, and the holder of the Guinness World Record for most cheesecake eaten without weight gain. Just kidding!

What kind of threat do you present to the public?

Walking pollen advisory, maybe? I'm not really much of a threat to anyone , I don't think. I even try to go light on the flowers that tend to cause hay fever, and I get rid of ragweed when I notice it around.

If your features were to be destroyed beyond recognition, is there any other way of identifying your body?

Yuck, what a horrible question! What is this, CSI Superhero? I guess dental records, or DNA from my family or maybe "Hey, this body has a ton of green hair!"

As a player, if you could, what advice would you give your character? Speak as if he/she were sitting right here in front of you. Use proper tone so they might heed your advice...

You'll do fine as a superhero, don't worry about it so much. Keep making friends and listening to their good advice, and don't let the occasional setback get you down. Everyone has a learning curve, and you're lucky to be in the situation you're in for yours. And for god's sake, stay away from Jack.

• 1 year later...

Fleur de Joie Character Score

Theme Song:

Let Joy and Innocence Prevail Grace Jones

I'll tell you of a girl, her husband was a soldier,

Gone to war in some strange country far away.

No word had come to her, but the rumors of great battles fought,

Men dying in their thousands, and the world full of fear.

As day would turn to evening, she would light a pure white candle

And place in the window bright from where it could be seen.

As she placed it in the window, softly without thinking

She said "Let this burning candle be a beacon,

Let joy and innocence prevail

Let joy and innocence prevail,

Believe that love will never fail,

Let joy and innocence prevail."

Fight Song:

The Happy Worker Tori Amos

Hey-ho, away-oh, we're off to work again!

Bells are ringing, we are singing, joyous in our industry!

I love my job, he loves his job!

Pull the lever, start the engine, pump the water, build the pressure

Push the piston, press that button, it's the perfect job!

Romance Song:

Pot Belly Freshlyground

I can't escape the thought that maybe we were

Destined to be together

The easy way we love confirms the fact

It's just getting better

Dance with me, flirt with me,

Have a little fun,

I'm glad to see you're here with me,

Let's have a little fun!

Tragedy Song:

10,000 Miles Mary Chapin Carpenter

Fare thee well, my own true love.

Farewell for awhile, I'm going away,

But I'll be back, though I go ten thousand miles.

Oh don’t you see that lonesome dove

Sitting on an ivy tree?

She’s weeping for her own true love

As I shall weep for mine...

Storyline Song:

Not For The Life of Me Sutton Foster

From the thread: Learning Curve

Burn the bridge, bet the store,

Baby's coming home no more,

Not for the life of me!

Break the lock, post my bail

Done my time, I'm out of jail,