Phantom

Give a two or three word description of yourself. (Describe your character's concept.)

Interdimensional Bouncer and All-Around Mystic

Do you have any nicknames, street names, titles, or nom de plume?

I go by Phantom in costume. It was easy to come up with. I get called 'Zee' by my family sometimes but that's not a nickname used outside of it, really.

What is your full birth name?

Taylor Xiao-xiao Chun

Where do you live?

A small, and cheap, apartment that's not too far from campus.

Why do you live there?

Because I can afford it without having to have a roommate that asks prying questions?

What do you perceive as your greatest strength?

My firm moral code.

What do you perceive as your greatest weakness?

The amount of hours in my day. You might try and say that I have poor time management skills. If you feel that way, I'd be happy to trade for a couple of hours.

Physical Traits

How old are you? (Chronological age as well as age category.)

Well, according to my driver's liscence, I turn twenty-one this year. I think, chronologically I'm still in my early twenties, but I spent some time in another dimension learning magic for a while so that throws off the count. Doesn't matter. I'm not going to get any older. Which means, I'm going to be carded for the rest of my unnatural life as I still get mistaken for a high school student sometimes.

What is your sex?

Female.

What is your race?

Yay. The race question. Okay, my dad's Chinese-American. Both of his parents came over from China when they were kids. My mom is of Irish/British/Scandanavian stock, but her family's been here for ages.

How tall are you?

Not. At all. I'm a whole inch over five feet and the shortest person in my family.

How much do you weigh?

... You do know that I can drop you off in any number of unpleasant places?

What is your general body type, frame, bone structure, and poise?

I'm sturdy, mostly. I have an average build. I'm more curvy than thin, and my legs are thankfully toned from years of not owning a car. Which is good as I haven't managed to figure out how to conjure the Phantom costume with leggings yet. Now you know why I avoid press. Thankfully the cape is quite concealing.

What is your skin colour?

Pale, although I am capable of a nice golden tan if I ever see the sunlight. Doesn't really fit the whole 'Phantom' thing.

What is your hair colour?

Thick, and a solid blue-black.

What is your hair style?

Well at the moment, I have feathered layers that are growing out. That was a poor choice. I have trouble finding things that flatter my face. Really, I should just stick with the pony tail.

Do you have any facial hair?

What is your eye color?

Brown.

How attractive are you?

Eh. I'd be more attractive if I wasn't busy seperating Taylor from Phantom. I have a natural presence that I tend to tone down when I'm in civvies. Partly out of a desire to remember who I was before the cape and mask, partly because I'm honestly more comfortable as my alter ego these days.

What is your most distinguishing feature?

My voice. Its a suprisingly husky alto.

Do you have any scars, tattoos, or birthmarks?

No.

What is your handedness (left/right/ambidextrous)?

Left-handed.

Do you resemble some currently known person?

Yeah! Me.

What kind of clothing do you wear?

Indiana Jones meets the local second hand store? I like retro things. I really like 40s hats and jackets. Mostly, my daily outfit consists of: boots, belled jeans with some sort of patch somewhere, a white long sleeve and high necked shirt, bomber jacket, fedora. I wear this most anywhere I go. I think I have a dress, in the back of my closet, on the floor.

Do you wear makeup?

Oh, sure, sometimes. Mostly like eyeliner and maybe some lipstick.

What sort of vocal tone do you have?

A surprising husky alto. Most people don't expect it. I can really project, too. Phantom has a bit of a booming tone which helps startle the beejeezus out of people.

History

Where is your homeland?

I was born in America.

Are you aware of its history?

Yes, actually.

Are you patriotic or a social outcast?

I remain patriotic although my duties are to a larger cause now.

What are your opinion of home?

In my heart of hearts, I don't consider this my home anymore. I don't feel like I belong anywhere, but it makes me uncomfortable so I chose not to examine it closely. Or bring it up.

Where is your home town?

I was born here, Freedom City.

Are your real reasons for becoming an adventurer different from what you tell others?

I don't really tell people about why I became what I am now. I usually stick with the "I was chosen. I have duties.", not "I read an inscription and now I have this giant burden from the booming voice in my head." That would make an awesome sound bite. I'm not even a super-hero. Just a girl, with a job, with no pay and no benefits for high risk.

How far would you go to keep such secrets from being revealed? What would you do if the truth became known?

I would glower if it came up. Probably intimidate someone into not mentioning it.

What do you fear would occur if the truth became known?

Well, worst case scenario, more booming voices in my head. Might get relocated to a home plane that my family doesn't live on, which would make things harder.

Do you have any particularly high or low ability scores?

I've always been very bright.

How have these scores affected your life so far?

My folks have always had high hopes for me. If I flunk college... Well, lets just say I'd rather face any super-villian in the world than my folks if that happened.

What about your race, growing up were you in the majority or a minority?

I'm mixed race, so minority.

Did this impact your outlook in any way?

I suppose, I mean, we got to celebrate all of Dad's traditions and all of Mom's traditions and then all the American ones. I really loved growing up in both worlds, and if I ever felt like an outsider, well, I've gotten some perspective on what a real outsider is.

How do you feel about other races?

You know about the whole interdimensional job description? It gives me a lot of perspective on sentient beings and what important differences are. Like, skin color - not so much. Nitrus-breathing instead of air-breathing. That's a much bigger difference. It involves a great deal more forthought when you have to transport one.

Were there any traumatic experiences in your early years (death of a family member, abandonment, orphaned at an early age)?

Nope.

Briefly describe a defining moment in your childhood and how it influenced your life.

I supose the single most defining moment in my lap is the first time I sat on my Great-Uncle Huang's lap and he pulled the Eye of Heshem out his bag and told me the legend. I couldn't have been more than four or five. I remember running my fingertips over the tarnished metal and promising solemnly to look after it some day. I kept my promise, uncle. Just not in a way I ever anticipated.

What stupid things did you do when you were younger?

Mostly the standard kids stuff. I used to really let my siblings teasing get to me and most stupid things I did was to prove that I was in their league. Just your average kids antics. I had a bit of a rough time being the littlest kid. Honestly, I still have some trouble being the youngest in the family.

Which toys from your childhood have you kept?

None of them, although my mom has preserved them in vacum seal for my future offspring. And I do mean everything down to the baby clothes I wore. It's creepy.

Why? What do they mean to you? If you didn't keep any, why not? What did you do to them all?

See the above answer. Its not like I had a choice. She packed up my room when I went off to college.

Do you have any deep, dark secrets in the past that may come back to haunt you?

No. Except for the secret identity thing.

Are you who you claim to be?

Yes?

Do you have any sort of criminal record?

No.

How do you view the heroes/legends of your country?

Depends whether it's a hero or legend that has annoyed me recently. I don't tend to fall into hero worship much. Bigger legend, bigger legend to live up to.

Family

Who were your parents?

Kevin Yong Chun and Claire Marie Taylor. Yes, my mom's maiden name is my first name.

Were you raised by them? If not, then why didn't they and who did raise you?

Yup, and they're still together after five kids.

What was their standing in the community?

Pretty darn good. We had a nice house and all that and my folks are big on the personal success front.

Did your family stay in one area or move around a lot?

Well, they kept having to get bigger houses with each kid but I was the last one so I missed out on most of that.

How did you get along with your parents?

I try not to be a crushing dissapointment to the best of my ability.

How would your parents describe you? Answer this in the voice of your mother, then in your father's.

Dad: "'Zee's a great daughter. I know she's going to do something with herself although I wished she'd gone for a harder science. Linguistics is all well and good for a minor but..."

Mom: "Oh, Taylor. She's the baby of the family you know. Still hasn't had a steady relationship. She's only got two more years of college and then I imagine she'll go for a ph.d"

Do you have any siblings? If so how many and what were their names? How did you get along with each of your siblings?

I have four siblings. They're all very succesful. Let's see. There's Michael Yingpei Chun, firstborn boy, he's a doctor like dad and a father himself. Margaret Xue Chun, firstborn girl, investment banker, wife and mother. Joseph Wei Chun, second born son, physicist. Jackson Hao Chun, last born son. He's getting his ph.D in theoretical mathmatics right now.

What was your birth position in the family?

Dead last.

List all current knowledge of family locations, spouses, children, birth dates, schooling, and any important incidents that only you and they might remember.

You're kidding me right? Did you see how long it took me to list my siblings? Okay, all my closest family are in Freedom City. My great Uncle Huang's in China along with the extended family on my Dad's side. The extended family on my mom's side is scattered up and down the sea board. My oldest two siblings have spouses, and between them have three kids already. My middle brother's got a steady significant other. Its only my closest brother that's single. There's a lot of little stuff but I guess the biggest family thing is that almost everyone (but Mom) calls me 'Zee' in the family from Jackson's mispronounciation of my Chinese name when I was a baby.

Do you stay in touch with them or have you become estranged?

I stay in touch for at least weekly nagging phone calls an a monthly family dinner.

Do you love or hate one member of the family in particular?

I'm closest to Jackson and my Great Uncle Huang.

Is any member of the family special to you in any way (perhaps, as a confidant, mentor, or arch-rival)?

Huang's the closest I have to a mentor in the family. We exchange letters mostly these days. I keep the Eye safe for him but I haven't told him how its changed me.

Are there any black (or white) sheep in the family (including you)?

Uncle Huang's considered a little out there but he's always treated with respect. I'll be the black sheep if I can't keep my grades up and manage to finish with honors some how.

If so, who are they and how did they "gain" the position?

Well, as I am going to pass college, I don't intend to gain that little prize.

Do you have a notorious or celebrated ancestor?

Not so much.

If so, what did this person do to become famous or infamous?

N/A

Do you try to live up to the reputation of your ancestor, try to live it down, or ignore it?

N/A

Do you ever want to have a family of your own someday?

How would I manage that? When would I manage that? I don't think that's on the table for me any longer.

Would anything change your mind on this issue and if so, what?

About a half a dozen assistants and a twenty year long vacation.

What type of person would be your ideal mate?

... You know, I have no idea. Someone unflappable and alright with being stood up a lot.

Relationships

Do you have any close friends? If so, who and what are they like?

No.

What is the history of their relationship(s) with you?

... I don't have a lot of friends?

Do you currently have a best friend whom you would protect with your reputation or your life?

I don't. Have one.

If so, who are they and what caused you to feel so close to them? What would have to happen for you to end this relationship?

*sigh*

Do you have any bitter enemies?

Probably.

If so, who are they, what are they like, and what is the history of their feud with you?

I most likely put them back where they came from despite their desire to leave it for whatever reason.

Have you defeated them before?

See above.

How might these enemies seek to discomfit you in the future?

Usually, they just try and kill me.

Which person(s) or group(s) are you most loyal to?

Heshem. My oath.

Who is your most trusted ally?

Don't have one.

Who do you trust, in general?

I'm not the trusting type.

Who do you despise and why?

Despite rumours to the contrary. I despise very little. I just have a job to do.

Name seven things you hate in others.

Arrogance, people ignoring my advice, willful lawbreaking, ignorance in general, dimensional highjinks, people who think they can get away with anything, being mocked... wait, only seven?

Is your image consistent?

Yes.

Do you deliberately present yourself differently in different situations, and how?

Only when I'm trying to be two different people: Taylor and Phantom.

What would you die for?

My cause.

What is the worst thing someone has done to you?

... I'm not talking about my training.

What is your general reaction to an attractive member of the opposite sex who lets you know they are available?

If I notice, which is a big if, I would hope that I leap on the chance for some sort of human contact. It's not real likely to happen. I... offset people.

How do you get along with others of the same "adventuring class"?

So far, not so good.

Have you lost any loves?

No.

How did you handle the situation (short & long term)?

Hasn't come up.

Who would miss you should you go missing?

My family, eventually but it would take about a week.

How close are you to your "adventuring companions"?

...No.

What do they not know about you?

Oh, lots I imagine. Most people don't try and get past my surface.

Are you a member of any house, guild, organization, or church? What is your level of involvement?

No. Busy already. Thanks.

Personality & Beliefs

Do you, or did you, have any role models?

Uncle Huang.... maybe Indiana Jones.

Do you have any heroes or idols, either contemporary or from legend?

See above.

Did you ever become disillusioned with former heroes or idols? If so, why and what were the circumstances?

No.

When did you decide to become an adventurer?

Decide? More like chosen.

Why have you chosen to risk your life as a career?

Because I don't think ignoring Atlantean gods is a good habit for a long and healthy life.

What do you expect to get out of being an adventurer? What, if anything, would make you stop adventuring?

I have responsibilities. They end when I die, I think.

Do you have any dreams or ambitions? If not, why?

No. Not any more. Because I made a promise to do this work and I stand by my word.

What are your short term goals (what would you like to be doing within a year)?

Graduating college.

What are your long term goals (what would you like to be doing twenty years from now)?

I don't have any real long term goals. The idea of managing a real career, as is expected, is daunting.

If these goals seem at odds with each other, or with your dreams, how do you reconcile the differences?

Mostly, I focus on the day to day passing of time.

Do you have any great rational or irrational fears or phobias? If so, what are the origins of, or reasons behind them?

Alright, look, I have this... concern let's call it, that at the end of all that is, all that was, all that ever will be, I'm going to be left guarding an empty multiverse until I finally, finally go mad. It's not something I linger on.

How do you react when this fear manifests itself?

I ignore it. Valiantly.

What are your attitudes regarding material wealth?

Money is a pain in my rear end. I am constantly trying to keep my bills paid because 'dimensional guardian' is a pro bono gig.

Are you miserly with your share of the wealth, or do you spend it freely?

If I had it, I would share it.

Do you see wealth as a mark of success, or just as a means to an end?

At the moment, a key element to survival.

How do you generally treat others?

I'm told my interpersonal skills could use some work but I find dangling people over large chasms an effective tool for questioning people that are reluctant to tell me things.

Do you trust easily (perhaps too easily) or not?

No.

Are you introverted (shy and withdrawn) or extroverted (outgoing)?

I'm introverted. I prefer self-contained.

Are you a humble soul or blusteringly proud?

I'm confident.

What habits do you find most annoying in friends?

Those things that I listed under 'things I hate', that's a good place to start.

What are your most annoying habits?

I keep my own counsel. I act like a cop apparently. My friends, such as they are, likely have a list.

Is there any race, creed, alignment, religion, class, profession, political viewpoint, or the like against which you are strongly prejudiced, and why?

Dimensional interlopers. Because they don't belong where they are and they ALWAYS run.

What is your favourite food?

Pizza.

What is your favourite drink?

I used to like a nice mixed drink... Now the alchohol doesn't affect me. So I tend towards energy drinks.

What is your favourite treat (desert)?

Ice cream.

Do you favour a particular cuisine?

I like dad's chinese nights better than mom's scandanavian dishes.

Do you savor the taste when eating or "wolf down" your food?

... Actually, I don't need to eat or drink any more so I have to focus on what I'm doing or I either over or under eat because I have no hunger drive to gauge on any more.

Do you like food mild or heavily spiced?

Spiced.

Are there any specific foodstuffs that you find disgusting or refuse to eat?

Not really. But I don't eat except socially these days.

What are your favourite color(s)?

Dark colors, blacks, purples, blues.

Is there any colour that you dislike?

No.

Do you have a favourite (or hated) song, type of music, or instrument?

Not really.

If you have a favourite scent, what is it?

The sea. Like, the good clean sea, not scary trashed sea with dead fish.

What is your favourite type of animal?

I don't keep pets anymore. Sometimes I'm gone for days and it would just be cruel.

Are you allergic to any kinds of animals?

I don't need to eat or drink and I can survive in the vacum of space. No, I don't suffer from allergies.

Is there anything that enrages you?

Interdimensional beings that are TRYING to mess with humanity.

Is there anything which embarrasses you?

We don't talk about the cats.

Do you enjoy "roughing it", or do you prefer your creature comforts?

... I don't need a lot of comforts these days.

Do you have a patron deity?

Heshem, sort of.

Are you devout or impious?

I do the work she sets before me but it's not a worship sort of relationship. Its more like an employee relationship.

Do you actively worship and proselytize or do you simply pay lip service?

I stand by my oath.

What lengths would you go to defend your faith?

It's not a faith, it's a calling. There's a difference. It's subtle but it's there.

Was your faith influenced or molded by anyone special?

By Heshem. When she commanded me to do her work.

Do you belong to a dominant church, or an independent church, cult, or sect (and is the group accepted, frowned upon, or considered heretics)?

I think the people who know of Heshem on Earth Prime is a relatively small group.

Will you kill?

No.

When did you decide (or learn) that you would?

If I gave in to such impulses, my job would be easier, for certain. I just take them back where they belong.

When do you consider it okay to kill (under what circumstances)?

I don't.

When do you consider it wrong to kill (under what circumstances)?

There's a line, and it seperates us from them.

What would you do if someone else attempted to (or successfully did) kill under your "wrong" circumstances, what would be your reaction?

See them brought to justice by whatever system was appropriate for their culture.

What if it were your enemy?

It makes no difference.

What if it were your friend?

I could see myself hesitating

What if the opponent were not in control of their own actions (under duress, charmed, dominated, possessed)?

Then it's not their action.

What would you do if something were stolen from you?

I'd get it back.

What would you do if you were badly insulted publicly?

Usually I use that cold, black stare I've perfected.

What would you do if a good friend or relative were killed by means other than natural death?

Grieve, seek justice.

What is the one task you would absolutely refuse to do?

Break my oath.

What do you consider to be the worst crime someone could commit and why?

Most crimes I find abhorrent. That's why I spend my days doing what I do.

How do you feel about government (rulers) in general? Why do you feel that way?

I don't consider myself a citizen of any government really. My world is so much larger than that.

Do you support the current government of your homeland?

I support order.

If so, how far are you willing to go to defend the government? If not, do you actively oppose it?

See my above statement.

What form of government do you believe is the best (democracy, monarchy, anarchy, aristocratic rule, oligarchy, matriarchy) and why?

I find democracy and socialism the most enlightened but bogged by beaurocracy.

Do you have any unusual habits or dominant personality traits that are evident to others?

Not so much. I touch the amulet when I'm thinking or nervous.

If so, describe them and how you acquired them, as well as when they might be more noticeable and what causes them.

See above.

Do you have any unusual or nervous mannerisms, such as when talking, thinking, afraid, under stress, or when embarrassed?

See above.

What is your most treasured possession?

THe eye of Heshem. Of itself it has no power but I promised my Uncle I would keep it safe for him.

If your life were to end in 24 hours, what 5 things would you do in those remaining hours?

I would say goodbye to those I loved, set my affairs in order mystically and mortally, then I would find a nice beach to lay on the sand and do nothing.

Career & Training

Where and how were you educated?

I'm in college at the moment, I was trained by the Doorkeepers in the Dimension of Doors in my magical arts.

Who trained you in your adventuring class(es)?

A smattering of different mystics.

What was your relationship with your teacher(s)/mentor(s)?

Distant

Is this person or institution still in existence?

Probably. The tracking down of the where and when they are is more complex.

Were you a prize student or did you just barely pass?

I was the only student and I still live.

Look at your skills. How did you acquire them (especially the unusual ones)?

Dimension of doors. Roughly three years of dimensional hoping and learning at the feet of the mystic masters. Still haven't met Eldritch though.

Have you ever done anything else for a living?

I'm not doing anything for a living right now unless you consider student assistant in the library a career.

How do you function in combat (maneuvers, weaknesses)?

I usually blast my openents from the safety of being insubstantial. I don't do so hot with fire.

Have you ever received any awards or honours?

A smattering of minor educational honours and a partial scholarship.

Is there anything that you don't currently know how to do that you wish you could?

Much, but the one thing I have stretching ahead of me is time.

Are you envious of others who can do such things in a good-natured way or are you sullen and morose about it?

Sometimes frustrated by my own inability but I try not to lash out.

Lifestyle & Hobbies

When not adventuring, what is your normal daily routine?

Get up, go to school, do homework, work at library until the wee hours, get some sleep. Lather rinse repeat.

How do you feel and react when this routine is interrupted for some reason?

Like it's a Tuesday.

What are your hobbies when you are not adventuring or training?

Don't have time for any. I've always wanted to learn how to swing dance though.

What do you do for relaxation? What things do you do for enjoyment? What interests do you have?

If I get a chance, I usually sleep. But mostly I run from morning to late at night.

How do you normally dress when not in your adventuring gear?

Like I watched too much Indiana Jones as a kid.

What do you normally wear in bed at home?

I live by myself. I don't usually wear anything.

What do you normally wear in bed while adventuring?

I haven't found that I get to sleep all that often when adventuring either. Usually my costume. Such as it is.

Do you wear any identifiable jewelry?

I wear the Eye of Heshem. It's very distinctive and I don't take it off. It's an amulet with a black gem inset. The gem glows with an inner light.

Where do you normally put your weapons, magic items, or other valuables when you are sleeping?

In my pocket dimension. I keep a lot of things in there actually.

What morning or evening routines do you normally have?

Just my every day routines, like teeth brushing and having an energy drink and finishing the last homework bits before dashing to class.

Do these change when you are adventuring?

I don't have 'routines' when I 'adventure'.

Travel: how do you get around locally?

I teleport places unless I am doing the secret identity thing in which case I walk or take public transit.

Do you have a Last Will and Testament?

No, I don't own anything of value but the Eye and that's not something you will.

What does it say?

N/A

Miscellaneous

What would you like to be remembered for after your death?

That I kept my word.

What kind of threat do you present to the public?

The only threat I present to the public is my absence.

If your features were to be destroyed beyond recognition, is there any other way of identifying your body?

There's this tattoo of a pirate ship... No. If my body was unspeakably violated, I'm afraid we'd have to turn to DNA or something.

As a player, if you could, what advice would you give your character? Speak as if he/she were sitting right here in front of you. Use proper tone so they might heed your advice...

Lighten up a little. Seriously. Even though you don't need to breathe, you could take a moment to do so. The world isn't going to end if you teleport to Hawaii for a quick nap in the sun. Relax.