Mike glanced up at Erin and smiled as he replied "Yea I used to be totaly jelous that she had a pool when we were growing up. Course she'd just say I could fly so I still won out. At least till she figured out how to pull it off."

He glanced around at the other teens uncertainly, he really was ratehr lost at what exactly they should be doing most birthday up till now had just been the two of them and some family. Mike could certaily tell this was a different social paradigm but not quite the same one they all shared at school.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Right! Magic it is!" Eddie cracked his fingers by folding his hands and pushing them straight out away from his chest. He slapped the play button and began playing songs. There was a mix of music from all types of genres, but most of them had a good enough beat that they were groovy. He shied away from some of the heavier songs in his collection as he wasn't sure Alex would be the type to enjoy those. He also made sure that at least the majority of songs he selected had clean lyrics in case her parents were mindful of such things.

Before long, Eddie was scratching with the turntable and putting together a good mix of songs left and right. He blended back in forth between songs that mixed well together. By the time he was a few minutes into the set, he tried to get Mike's attention by waving him over to the DJ table. He wanted to make sure it was kosher with mike if he taught Alex how to dance, and decided that under the cover of the music would be as good a time as any to ask.

"Come over here" said Eddie's hand wave. Once Mike got to the table by the pool, Eddie made his inquiry. "I just wanted to make sure you were cool with it." He finished with, "But if you would rather teach her I would understand. I can even show you what to do. It should be fun."

James nodded with a half smile. "Large families have their downside too." He looked around their house as they walked, admiring the fact that everyone her had been loved.

He glanced over at Alex with a nod and a smile. "Well, glad you're getting what you want. Not everyone is that lucky. Seems like you've got a real nice family." He chuckled. "We'll do whatever you like. It's your day after all." He raised an eyebrow. "What government program, if you don't mind me asking?" Having only been there a couple weeks, he hadn't quite learned everyone's history just yet.

"I don't mind t'all but Mike can be touchy about it. We've always had our powers. My psychic abilities were just like one more sense. Our folks tried to keep it hidden but around kindegarden it was found out so we were moved from public school and sent to a government research lab during the day and restricted from doing any travel until we were determined to not be a threat. Just got out of the study this spring,"

Alex's tone was cheerful and she sipped a cup of soda between sentances. She didn't seem unduly bothered by the history and she wasn't. She'd hand a supportive family and had been able to get the sort of one on one tutoring in the program that she'd needed as a gifted student.

"Really? Man, that sounds rough. Constricting and rather harsh for a couple kids. But you certainly seemed to come through it just fine. Surprised you didn't go traveling this summer if they wouldn't let you for however many years before now." He seriously doubted he could have handled all that. He didn't do well with just regular grounding from his Family. He'd always taken off, blown it off without a second thought, even before he'd gotten powers.

"Well, this is your party. I don't want to monopolize your time. Shall we head back downstairs to the others? Wouldn't want any of your admirers thinking anything untoward was happening up here," he said with a grin, waggling his eyebrows in humor. She was cute, and he was happy to flirt, but there were already others interested and he didn't particularly want to stand in the way or make waves if she was interested in them.

Alex laughed at that and shook her head. She didn't really think anyone would care but she led him back down to the pool.

"It wasn't bad. I mean, even if I can't physically go somewhere, I can always just throw my senses. It isn't the same, but I don't really get stir crazy. 'Sides, I've been looking too forward to school to wanna travel. I can't wait for fall," she enthused as she skipped down the deck steps.

After tasting a little bit of everything at the snack table, Erin realized that most everyone else was out by the pool, and began wandering in that direction herself. It had been a really long time since she'd been to a birthday party. Thinking about that would only depress her, though, and this was supposed to be a happy occasion. You didn't go to a party if you were just going to bring everyone else down. Erin slipped off her shoes on the patio and walked barefoot to the pool, rolling up the legs of her jeans enough to let her put her feet in the water. She was close enough that she could hear anything that wasn't whispered over by the table, but wouldn't be impolite if she didn't join in.

Mike lumbered over to Eddie with a questioning look when beckoned. The look quickly turned from questioning to confused and maybe a bit uncomfortable as Eddie asked his permission to teach Alex to dance.

"Uhhm, sure?" He finally said uncertainly. Mike really didn't seem to understand why he was being asked about this "I mean as long as its none of the freaky spring break in cancun kinda dancing I don't think her folks would care." He continued having decided Eddie was asking him as a friend of the family.

James couldn't fathom wanting to go to school that much. Well, he sort of understood it. But it just was SO not him. "You're definitely a genius with that attitude," he said with a chuckle. "Way smarter than me! I'm happy with the minimal classes myself. More time for relaxing and fun!" He followed her down the steps, looking around the pool area, noting Erin by the waters. Yet another girl in sore need of having fun.

"Looks like most of the crew is here. So, you're the birthday girl. What would you like to do first?"

Mike lumbered over to Eddie with a questioning look when beckoned. The look quickly turned from questioning to confused and maybe a bit uncomfortable as Eddie asked his permission to teach Alex to dance.

"Uhhm, sure?" He finally said uncertainly. Mike really didn't seem to understand why he was being asked about this "I mean as long as its none of the freaky spring break in cancun kinda dancing I don't think her folks would care." He continued having decided Eddie was asking him as a friend of the family.

Eddie gave Mike a small push as if to say, "stop joking around!" "No! Come on man, I'm asking if you would mind. It's pretty easy to see that you care about her, and I don't want to upset you."

Chris had been browsing Eddie's music from some distance away, but not far enough that he couldn't hear. "C'mon, dude, stop trying to hide it. We're not stupid." He paused, before pointing at Eddie. "Well, maybe he is, but that only reinforces the point."

"And what freaky spring break? I sense a delicious anecdote."

Mark wanted to stay and chat more with Alex's mom about the past, but there was a party to attend to first. "I'll pass on your good wishes. He and my mom are coming back up from South America at the end of August, maybe you guys will have a chance to meet up at Parents Night at the beginning of fall semester." Smiling, he finished his task in the pool and stood back.

Thinking for a moment, he began unbuttoning his shirt quickly, his upper body cut with the well-defined lines of a young man who traveled by swinging grapple gun, and then stepped out of his pants. Through great good luck, he'd thought to wear athletic swim trunks underneath his pants, just in case there turned out to be a pool at Alex's place. "I dunno about you guys, but I'm going for a dip," he called with a grin as he set his clothes away from the water's edge, "before I melt down to a puddle here!" And with that, and a lucky placement of his feet, he executed a perfect plunge straight into the water.

Mike looked up in vauge disbelief at what Eddie was saying and was downright boggled by Chris' statement.

"Uh, yea I care about her she's like my best friend. I mean I've known her like forever." He said obviously confused by their line of thought. "But I don't see how that means I care if Eddie teachers her to dance as long as its not like innappropriate or something ... you know like on all those MTV spring break shows." It was hard to tell if Mike was continueing to try and keep up appearances of disintrest or if he was really that out fo touch with both his feelings and the teen boy experiance.

Chris rolled his eyes. "Whatever, dude," he said. "Also, you told me of this legendary pool when I spoke to you earlier this week, so I plan to use it." He dropped his jeans and slipped out of his socks and shoes, pulling off his shirt as he did so. He'd apparently been wearing green swim shorts underneath his clothes. Not quite as muscular as Mark, the few muscles the teen superhero did have were toned. Dammit, why did he have to strip first. I make him look like Ahnold!

At which point Chris turned, ran, slipped on the wet poolside and fell into the pool. His head surfaced spitting water. "Blargh."

Erin listened to the conversation going on at the table, but most of her attention was taken by the action in the pool. She wasn't always entirely fond of Mark, but he was a very good swimmer. She pulled her feet out of the water and went to find Alex. "Did you say you had some extra suits?" she asked quietly, not wanting to broadcast the conversation. "I know you and I aren't the same size, but do you think there's one that might fit me?"

Alex glanced up from her conversation with James, "My mom probably has an extra suit that will fit. We keep the extras out here in case we have guests that need one. I can show you where they are. I have to change too, anyways."

The pool house was a small building, mostly with space to keep the pool equipment and a shower and changing area. Alex gestured to where the extra suits were hanging before vanishing to change into a tankini style suit with bottoms and tank-top top in bright summery colors. She was slender out of the baggy clothes that she favored but didn't seem awkward or uncomfortable as she walked out to the pool, laughing as she quick stepped accross the hot pavement. She sat down on one of the chairs to cover every square inch of skin with SPF 5000 or some equivalent as she had no desire to spend her sixteenth birthday lobster red. Afterwards, she set the bottle out for anyone else who might need it and dove into the deep end, following the boys, before surfacing and slicking her hair out of her face.

"Hey! Woah! Hold on a second! I have a song for this one!" Eddie quickly hit a few more buttons on his equipment and a new song started up. "One sec, Mike I can't resist this..."

"YOU!

I wanna take you to a gay bar!

I wanna take you to a gay bar, gay bar, gay bar!

WOOAAHHHHHHHH!"

"You guys having fun in there?!" He called to the boys in the pool.

He turned back to Mike as he let the song play. "Sorry about that, where was I? Oh yea... Mike, I'm gonna put this plainly. Unless I miss my guess, from the way you act when you are around Alex, it seems pretty apparent to me that you like her. And I mean 'like-like' her. Even though you may not know it or believe it yet, it seems pretty obvious that's how you feel. Even Chris thinks so. And when I asked the question about the dancing, it was because I didn't want to step on your toes (so to speak) were this actually the case. If you don't mind me teaching her to dance (nothing inappropriate, mind you) then I would be happy to do it. But if you would much rather do it, that's fine too. I just want to know, that's all." Eddie looked at mike and he could tell that, for once, Eddie was actually dead serious. Through all of his normal clowning and tomfoolery, it seemed he really did care...

When Alex surfaced, Mark was there to greet her with a grin, water running down his shoulders as the boy floated just a few inches from her. "This is a really great pool, Alex." He cocked his head towards the far side of the pool, a challenging grin on his face. "Bet I can beat you to the other side. No powers, cross my heart." Sure enough, Mark made a little X right over the center of his chest. Mark had trouble competing with his fellow students, given their knowledge of his powers, but contrary to what they believed he could actually turn them off for a little while. He knew Alex would know that. She was very wise that way.

Chris made sure Alex's mom wasn't looking, before flipping Eddie a couple of very nasty gestures.

Then turned to see Mark making his move. Dammit, dude, are you blind? Your best friend wants in there! And you've got luck powers! And you're not in the friend zone! This is like David versus Goliath, only David lost his sling! He turned back around. "Mike! Eddie! Not swimming?" Workworkworkworkwork...

This whole conversation really was getting to be just too much for Mike. Not the most sicially adept at the best of times once uncomfortable feelings showed up that was his cue to make a graceful exit or at least and exit.

"Uhh, yea ok well I'm gonna jump in the pool then." He said awkwardly to Eddie. As he started to walk away he glanced back at Eddie "Seriously, if you wanna teach her go for it." He stalled for a moment with uncertainty on his face "And thanks for asking I guess."

For Mike it was very much outside of his comfort zone but he was making an effort.

Alex blushed a little and blinked at finding Mark so close in the water but she laughed at the challenge.

"Sure, but you won't need powers to beat me. I'm not any more graceful in water than I am on the ground or in the air. I'm sure I'll grow out of the whole awkward thing eventually." She smiled and gave a little shrug, "But I'm game. Oh, hey, look!"

She jokingly gestured at Chris, like it would distract Mark, and then took off towards the far end of the pool with a laugh. Alex really wasn't terribly athletic so she felt no guilt for her playfull attempt at subterfuge. It would take very little effort to beat her to the deep end. She was slightly flushed as she certainly wasn't immune to Mark's not inconsiderable charm but as Alex didn't think he took his flirting seriously, she didn't want to make too much of it.

"Sure man, anytime." Eddie was actually kind of upset that Mike was so incapable of talking about things sometimes. I know a hasty retreat when I see one. Oh well. He will come around eventually, hopefully. For now, I guess I should follow along and jump in the pool. But first...

Eddie put the play list on so that it would run automatically in his absence. There would be less scratching, but at least the would have music. He began to dispense his pockets of all his valuable electronics, and then dumped his pants by his table. This revealed a plain pair of blue swim trunks. Throwing his shirt in the same pile.

"Yea I guess I'll join you. But I'm totally changing the song first!" He pressed one last button to skip the rest of "Gay Bar", he then began to walk towards the pool.

James smiled and walked over towards Eddie and Mike. Everyone seemed to be getting in the pool, so he figured he'd help the situation out a little. But being a fellow musician, he wouldn't dare risk Eddie's equipment. That was like sacrosanct.

So, giving himself a big burst of strength (far more than he normally has), he quickly reached out snatching up Mike and tossed him right into the deep end of the pool near Alex and Mark. Some people just needed some help... He turned, grabbed Eddie and tossed the other musically inclined student in as well. Unfortunately, Eddie had enough warning and grabbed James' arm, dragging him into the pool as well!

A moment later, he surfaced, laughing with amusement. "We're all in now!"

Erin walked out just in time to see the guys take the plunge into the pool. The one-piece suit she'd found didn't fit terribly well, especially around the shoulders, but it was close enough to swim in. In a swimsuit, her substantial muscle definition was far more obvious than in the loose clothes she usually wore for everyday, and her skin was pale all over, like she never saw the sun. With the pool pretty busy at the moment, she sat down on the edge again and watched, not bothering with the sunscreen. "Go Alex," she cheered, clapping a few times.

What with all the guys jumping into the pool, it was no wonder Edge came in well behind Alex. He laughed as he came up, though, not looking too put-out by his loss. "Teach me to make bets!" He grinned at Alex. "Nice form, Albright. I can tell you've been hitting the gym." He opted to let her pick exactly what he meant by that, covering his face as the guys jumping in splashed up the place. "Hey, glad you decided to join us!"