"You know, I was joking about Candyland," Erin pointed out as she got up and went to look at the attic haul as well. "If you're going to play a little kid game, might as well make it an interesting one like Operation or Hi-Ho Cherry-O. And the last thing we need is fighting over who got who caught in the Molasses Swamp. Board games and cake and presents beats sitting around and watching television for any birthday." Draping her towel over her shoulders, she joined the group looking at games.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"We should probably put that back... Hey, what's that?" Alex broke off as she pulled an old and very wrinkled paper out of the box. Unfolding it despite her better intentions, she puzzled out that it was some sort of schematic for a base of some kind. "Hey, Chris, are you good at reading these things?"

She pushed the map at the only member of the team to pilot an airship.

Chris pondered over it for a second. "Looks like some sort of secret lair or some sort. Didn't you say your parents were superheroes? Did they have some kind of lair? I mean, if you found it in your house, it stands to reason they'd know something about it."

He looked through it more carefully, front and back. "Maybe there's a location..."

Mike paused uncertainly when he saw the costume come into view not sure if he should cover it up before anyone saw. Of course that merely served to draw attention to his find. He shifted uncomfortably and kept glancing back to see if Mrs. Albright was coming as she would definately not be too happy about this birthdya or no.

"So uhm, you want me to run this stuff back up to the attic Alex?" He asked uncertainly.

James looked over at the map curiously, seeing if he could read or decipher it over Chris' shoulder. "Hmm...I bet if it's in range, I could just 'port to the entrance," he said half to himself. "Might be an easy way to find the exit. 'Course if it's more than a mile from here, we'll have to do some driving to find it. Unless someone's got a better plan?"

Mark peered at the map, a curious look on his face. He stroked his bare chin, his eyes briefly glowing. "Hmm, I think I can puzzle this out," he said thoughtfully. "I saw a cypher like it in one of my dad's old books once. It's something heroes used to use...back in the day." He hmmed. "I think the map starts somewhere that way. That symbol...maybe St. George's Cathedral out in Midtown?" He frowned. "But that would mean we'd to put on some pants."

James grinned at Eddie and Mike, as they had been dunked clothed. "Well, I know my clothes are dry," he said with a chuckle, moving to slip said clothes on. The joys of heat and fire control. Better than a dryer. He took his keys out. "One vehicle or two. Can hold 5, 6 if people we squish a little."

"You know, it's Alex's party, and Alex's mom's stuff," Erin broke in over James and Eddie's plans. "She should get to decide if and how we go looking for whatever might be on that paper. Maybe we should just leave well enough alone, since none of it belongs to us anyway." It wasn't that she herself wasn't curious, but digging into other people's secrets was rude, as was ruining other people's parties. "There's plenty of stuff to do here."

Alex hesitated, torn between her mother's wishes and the possibility of a base. After a long moment, she finally spoke, "We'll go see if we can find the base. I mean, we need one. And if it's not in use, that's just a waste. The rest of this stuff is mom's memories to share or keep away if she wants to. We really will need a headquarters other than the school, though, and we might as well see where the map leads."

She looked up at her friends to gauge their thoughts on the matter.

"I'm down for it!" Eddie chimed in. "Your right about the fact that we need a base. We might not be able to effectively operate without one. I'm sure your mom wouldn't mind giving her daughter something to keep her safe." He stood and returned to the group, all of his things back on his person. "Besides, if no one is using it, like you said..."

Given Mark's interest in history in general and the heroes of the past in particular, there was really no doubt what advice he'd offer. Though on the other hand, he did feel bad for having read quite so much of what was on that page, and explaining how to read all of it to the others. That was fairly private stuff on there. Putting that out of his mind, he said, "Hey, I agree with Alex. Let's go do this thing." He nodded, gently handing the map back to her. "I think this belongs to you. But first, I suggest we all change into traveling clothes. Or at least get some cargo shorts on or something."

"Can't hurt to see where it goes," Erin agreed. "If Chris can take up there, it'll be a pretty quick trip anyway. We can be back here before your folks get home. And if we take the airship, we can even take the snack table along. But yeah, clothes first." She headed off to the poolhouse and changed back into her jeans and blouse, giving her hair a vigorous scrubbing with the towel before taming the frizzed tangle back down with a headband and rejoining the others.

Alex headed off to change after closing the box up for Mike to return it to storage. She came bouncing back down the steps, pulling her hair up in a wet pony tail as she did so and turned her face up to Chris and Mark, "So are we taking the Pitchoo or a car? Or just doing the super-hero thing over?"

Mike quickly stowed the box back away in its corner of the attic and grabbed his spare set of clothes hurrying into a bathroom to change. He grimaced slightly at the look but shrugged figureing it was better than his still sopping wet clothes down by the pool.

When he returned minus his signature black duster it was clear he hadn't updated his spare wardrobe here in awhile. Unlike his normal baggy ovesized clothes his current outfit was a much more fitted pair of jeans and a plain black t-shirt tight across his chest and arms.

"So where to first again?" he asked.

James agreed. "Yeah, we're looking for an old 'secret base'. Being unsubtle while looking won't help that. I vote regular car." He shook his keys. "I've got the car. Should be able to squeeze all of us I think." He pulled his shirt and and slipped on his shoes. He was eager to get going. This sounded like fun after all. "We good to go?"