Quotemyname - Cryomancer - PL10 Villain (NPC Tier 1)

Character Name: Tobias Boon

Secret Identity: The Cryomancer

Height: 5'10''

Weight: 200lbs.

Eyes: Blue

DOB: ???

Power Level: 10 (150/150 pp)

Trade-Offs: None

Unspent PPs: 0

Description: Picture

Cryomancer is a decendant of a race from another dimension. All members of this mysterious race possesses the ability to generate and control ice. Few however can match Cryomancer's skill. Appearing as a man of average height and powerful build, Cryomancer dresses in blue armor designed solely for his protection.

Cryomancer's skill with the powers of Ice Control show visibly in his appearance. His arms up to mid-bicep appear to be heavily frost bitten. They do not appear to be dead tissue, however. In fact, it seems that the ice is alive within his skin. Thus his hands and forarms often glow a chilling blue especially while using his powers. It is possible that his other extremities share the feature, but none have ever lived long enough to find out, skilled assassin that he is. His legs and much of his face and head are all covered by his armor.

When truly letting his powers flow, Cryomancer has been known to "steam" with sheer cold.

Personality:

Cryomancer is a villain, but only so far as it serves his selfish purposes. He is a trained assassin. As such he is more than willing to sell his services to anyone, for the right price. Hero or Villain makes no matter so long as he receives payment. (Woe to those who think they can renig on this deal.)

Cryomancer is a strong believer in the Machiavellian viewpoint that the end justifies the means. He will pursue any avenue open to him to accomplish a mission, come hell and high water (and it surely will!)

A mysterious individual and a loner, Cryomancer is not wont to work in teams. He believes that relying on others is a sign of weakness, and has often been held back by other members of a squad. When he decided to leave his old guild of assassins he decided to leave teamwork behind as well. He has no need for others, only himself.

Cryomancer takes little pleasure in the assassinations that he performs. It is simply an effective means to an end. Come when called, eliminate target, cash check. Neither does he dislike the job. It simply serves a functional purpose, and for an individual with his level of powers, it is such a simple task...

History:

Born on this plane of existence to a human mother, Tobias spent much of his early years like a regular child. By the time he was four years old, his powers had begun to manifest. His mother had first thought to hide them, so as to hold on to her last son, but with the level of strength he quickly began to muster it was impossible. After a few months, He was able to encase entire oak trees in chilling ice. That was without any training. It became clear that keeping her son to herself would be more dangerous than she had anticipated. So she sent him to the other realm to join his older brother within The Guild. The two would never again meet.

The guild training did well for the young pupil. Although few at the guild could hope to measure up to the boys skill in shaping ice (even with their new and strange powers of other elements) Tobias had a lot to learn about actual martial arts. And so he lost many fight in training due to his lack of knowlege of basic forms. A shortcoming that would soon be rectified. Within a short time, he was able to defeat any opponent laid against him, many he defeated without having to use his powers. He quickly became one of The Guild's star pupils.

After his training years were finished he was ready to join a squad of his own. Except that the guild did not currently have any open positions within field teams. Seniority, it seems was more important than actual skill level. Many of the men ahead of him in line fell to him easily on the training grounds. But it mattered not to the guild elders. Tobias sat and awaited his chance. It came...When his brother was killed.

It seemed that another assassin had been bought off by an opposing organization. During one of the missions, he had gone turncoat and killed Tobias' brother as well as two other squad members. The body of his brother had been recovered, as was his armor. The elders bid him don it, and become the new Cryomancer. His first assignment would be to take a team of assassins and complete the job his brother had failed to finish. Selecting a team of his own, Cryomancer was given charge of the assignment. He completed it, and followed through with the job with cold unrelenting efficiency. Just like the powers of ice that he wielded.

He was spotted on the mission, however. It seemed the assassin that had killed his brother was still lurking in the area. Since he was wearing his brother's armor, he was mistaken for his older brother. The Assassin vowed to finish the job he had started, but would not confront him right away...

Many missions later, Cryomancer was an accomplished assassin. He took no pleasure in it. He was always cold, unfeeling, and efficient.

One day he was called to the elders for a new mission. They had come to possess a new form of technology. One that would enhance the skill of even their best assassins. It required them to have their minds and souls bound to machines, however. These robots were specifically designed for hand to hand combat and assassinations. There were four of them on display that day. One for each member of his team. Two of his teammates immediately volunteered for the procedure. The other teammate and he did not. They flat out refused in fact. Cryomancer was always looking for ways to better his skills, but not like this. The cost of one's humanity was far too high.

Knowing that the guild elders were unlikely to take no for an answer, he told them that he would need time to think about it. That night, he and his teammate escaped from the guild and ran. The traveled to our plane and hid for years in silence. Until the guild found them, that is.

Confronted by none other than the robotic forms of his former teammates, Cryomancer and his partner were forced to fight. It was a battle they were rapidly losing. His years of hiding had dulled his skills, and the procedure his opponents had chosen to undergo had only sharpened their own. When his partner realized they were fighting a losing battle, he release an explosive jet of steam, as was his wont. It covered the area in an obscuring mist, and Cryomancer was able to escape while his partner held them off.

He is now hunted by three cyborg assassins. Each taking orders from the guild and hunting him with no signs of remorse or feeling.

Cryomancer now spends his days carrying out assassinations to better his skill, so that one day he may fight these cyborgs and rid the planes of the horrible abominations.

One day, after he defeats the best assassins the guild has to offer, he will return to the other realm and unseat the guild elders... But that will have to wait...

Complications:

Enemy - The Guild

Enemy - Three Cyborg Assassins

Enemy - Other Cyborgs possibly sent by the guild / Ones mistaken for Guild Cyborg Assassins

Enemy - His brother's Mysterious Assassin

Honor - No Women, No Children

Honor - Confirm The Kill

Trusting - Expects no betrayal from what few friends he has

Ability Scores [6+6+6+0+0+4=22pp]

Str: 16 (+3)

Dex: 16 (+3)

Con: 16 (+3)

Int: 10 (+0)

Wis: 10 (+0)

Cha: 14 (+2)

Combat [12+4 = 16pp]

Attack: +6 (+10 w/ Cryomancer powers)

Defense +2 (+10 w/ Dodge Focus; +1 Flat-Footed)

Grapple: +9 (+6 Base, +3 Str)

Knockback: -5 (-2 Flat-Footed)

Initiative: +11

Saves [5+5+5=15pp]

Toughness: +10 (+5 Protection, +2 Defensive Roll, +3 Con)

Fortitude: +8 (+3 Con, +5)

Reflex: +8 (+3 Dex, +5)

Will: +5 (+0 Wis, +5)

Feats [31pp]

All Out Attack

Attack Specialization (Cryomancer Powers)

Defensive Attack

Defensive Roll 2 [2pp]

Distract (Bluff)

Dodge Focus 8 [8pp]

Elusive Target

Evasion 2 [2pp]

Fearless

Improved Block [1pp]

Improved Critical

Improved Initiative 2 [2pp]

Luck

Power Attack

Set - Up

Skill Mastery 2 (Acrobatics, Intimidate, Bluff, Stealth, Notice, Disguise, Gather Information, Diplomacy) [2pp]

Startle

Takedown Attack

Uncanny Dodge 2 (Visual, Mental)[2pp]

Skills [68r = 17 pp]

Acrobatics 8 (+11) [2pp]

Bluff 12 (+10) [3pp]

Diplomacy 4 (+6) [1pp]

Disguise 4 (+6) [1pp]

Gather Information 8 (+10) [2pp]

Intimidate 8 (+10) [2pp]

Knowledge: The Planes 8 (+8) [2pp]

Notice 8 (+8) [2pp]

Stealth 8 (+11) [2pp]

Powers [1+3+4+1+37=46pp]

Speed 1 (Sliding on Ice) [1pp] (Stacks with speed 2 [below] if he has a running start)

Speed 2 PF: 1 Alternate Power [3pp]

AP: Leaping 2

Device 1 (Body Armor) [Hard To Lose; 5dp] [4pp]

Super Senses 1 (Danger Sense: Mental) [1pp]

Cryomancer Powers(Descriptors: Cold, Magic) (Array 16; 32pp powers; 5 Alternate Powers) [37pp]

Drawbacks [0pp]

None

Protection 5 [5dp]

Cryomancer Powers - Base Power: Slide":37yvffia]A sliding tackle designed to damage and upend an opponent - Trip & Damage & Speed & Immunity

Trip 10 (Extras: Linked (+0); Flaws: Range/Touch; PF: Accurate 1, Extended Reach 4, Mighty, Move-By-Action, Improved Trip) [20pp]

linked to: Damage 7 {7pp}

Speed 2 [2pp]

Immunity 10 (all cold) (Extras: Duration/Sustained [+0]) [10pp]

Cryomancer Powers - Alternate Power 1: Ice Flurry":37yvffia]A series of freezing punches, elbows, and knees, followed by a roundhouse kick designed to send opponents flying - Strike

Strike 7 (Extras: Autofire 1, Alternate Save: Fortitude; PF: Mighty, Accurate 1, Knockback 3)[32pp]

Cryomancer Powers - Alternate Power 2: Freeze":37yvffia]A freezing ball of misting ice thrown forward at opponents, designed to freeze them in place in order to set them up for further Kombinations - Snare

Snare 10 (Extras: Constricting, Alternate Save: Fortitude (+0); PF: Accurate 1, Affects Insubstantial)[32pp]

Cryomancer Powers - Alternate Power 3: Ground Freeze to Uppercut Kombo":37yvffia]Creates a frozen patch of black ice on the ground underneath an opponents feet. As they stumble forward, an uppercut to the chin is used to punish and send them flying. - Trip & Damage

Trip 10 (Extras: Linked (+1); Flaws: Range/Touch; PF: Accurate 1, Improved Trip, Subtle, Extended Reach 2, Mighty, Knockback 5, Penetrating 4) [32pp]

linked to: Damage 7 {7pp}

Cryomancer Powers - Alternate Power 4: Ice Shower":37yvffia]A freezing rain of ice and sleet summoned from the sky to freeze opponents solid and set them up for further Kombos - Snare

Snare 10 (Extras: Range/Perception, Alternate Save: Fortitude(+0), Constricting; Flaws: Full Round Action; PF: Indirect 1, Affects Insubstantial 1)[32pp]

Cryomancer Powers - Alternate Power 5: Ice Clone":37yvffia]Creates a stationary, free standing frozen image of the user. Opponents who mistake it for the real thing and try to attack it are in for a nasty surprise! - Illusion & Snare

Illusion 10 (Extras: Linked (+0), Duration/Sustained; Flaws: Limited to Stationary Illusion, Limited to Images that are Exact Copies of the User; PF: Accurate 1, Triggered [snare happens when Illusion is touched by any body part, possession, or extension of an opponent's body])[32pp]

linked to: Snare 10 (Extras: Constricting; Flaws: Range/Touch){20pp}

DC Block

Unarmed -- DC 18/Toughness -- Damage

Ice Flurry -- DC25/Fortitude -- Damage - Autofire 1, Knockback 3

Freeze(a) -- DC 20/Fortitude-- Snare/Staged - Affects Insubstantial

Freeze(B) -- DC 20/Toughness -- Damage/Constricting

Ground Freeze(a) -- DC 20/Reflex -- Trip - Subtle, Improved Trip

Ground Freeze(B) -- DC 25/Toughness -- Damage - Knockback 5, Penetrating 4

Ice Clone(a) -- DC 20/Will -- Illusion

Ice Clone(B) -- DC 20/Fortitude -- Snare/Staged - Triggered

Slide -- DC 20/Reflex -- Trip - Improved Trip

Ice Shower -- DC20/Fortitude -- Snare - Perception Range, Indirect 1, Affects Insubstantial

Totals: Abilities 22 + Combat 16 + Saves 15 + Skills 17 + Feats 31 + Powers 46 - Drawbacks 0 = 147

still looking for a place to spend that last 3 pp. it will probably come up in the edits.

• 3 weeks later...

Stats, good.

Combat, good, but I can't help but wonder why a powerful assassin like this has so few ranks in Defense.

Saves, your toughness save is actually currently +13. 5 protection, 5 Defensive roll and 3 Constitution.

Feats, good.

Skills, good.

Powers,

I don't know what you mean by this, care to clarify?

Super Movement 1 (Sliding on Ice) [1pp]

Now onto the array.

Okay, for the first power, the Linked powers need to have the same range. In order to extend the range of one, you need to apply the power feat to the other as well.

Ground Freeze to Uppercut Kombo: same issue as above

Ice Clone: Firstly, I hate you for making me did out the rule book.

Next:

Maintaining an active illusion (such as a fighting creature) requires concentration, but maintaining a static illusion (one that doesn’t move or interact) is only a free action, effectively a sustained duration.

So if you limit it to a static illusion, you're already covered and don't need the sustained duration extra. Also, as is my understanding, the LINKED Extra would need to be a +1 Extra because they are technically being used separately.

Next, Illusion is perception range, so you can't have the accurate power feat.

Finally, there is the snare. Again, linked powers must have the same range. I'm not entirely sure how you could model this, I'll have to phone it in.

Saves, your toughness save is actually currently +13. 5 protection, 5 Defensive roll and 3 Constitution.

Woops! I'll fix that in a jiff.

I don't know what you mean by this, care to clarify?

Ever seen Iceman slide around on a length of ice he has created with his powers? something like that. I have a youtube video I can link you too if you need more.

Now onto the array.

Many of your issues here involve the range being goofy. I was told that if you buy a power feat on one part of a linked power it automatically applies itself to the other linked power since they are effectively one power. (I think it was AA that told me this)

See if that solves that issue. I'll fix the other things I have mentioned above, then we can dig into the large issues.

• 3 weeks later...

Still didn't fix your toughness save.

I'm getting 30pp on feats.

I still have no idea what this means.

Cryomancer powers. Why does he only have immunity to cold based effects in only one of his array slots? Seems like something an arctic ninja would have at all times.

Fixed the toughness save line.

Still getting 31pp on feats.

Remember when I linked you to youtube videos of sub zero fights? Thats what the sliding is. Or This. Or This. Etc...

I think of his immunity to cold as something he needs to concentrate on to maintain. If he is in the middle of a fight he might get distracted as he tries to pull off more complex moves and he might "forget" about maintaining the immunity. If that's not a good enough description, I can try to think of something else, or maybe move it out of the array.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...