Captain Knievel vs. Malice: Extreme Chess Challenge! (IC)

They had been dancing around it for quite some time now. They were over 20 turns into the game and there were few casualties. Sooner or later, the slaughter had to commence. Eric hoped that his ability to plan would let him come out on top, but it was just hard to predict the Captain's impulsive nature. So what was first on his list was the Knights. Their erratic movements could be a real pain in the hands of the Captain, and in fact had already caused Eric a bit of annoyance. "And let slip the dogs of war." said Eric softly as he took Captain's Knight with his Bishop.

chessgame25

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"And so it begins..." Captain Knievel sighed, as he saw the piece move. "You sure you want to do this then?"

Malice just looked at him. "Yea, why did I even ask." Captain Knievel shrugged, and then Castled his King with King's Rook without missing a beat. Almost like he had been planning that for a while.

chessgame26

"Just buying some time." Captain Knievel remarked nonchalantly

For the first time, a frown crossed Eric's face. I want to take his queen soo bad right now, but the price... it's just a little too high right now. Lemme see if I can weasel around in the background for a bit and cause a bit of chaos that way. Eric took the Captain's bishop with his own, putting his bishop deep in enemy territory. "It's my turn to take a gamble I guess."

Wow... He actually did what I wanted him to!...I can't believe it! The Captain was astonished.

"Let's ... uh ... Hope that pays off for you," Captain Knievel said sarcastically as he picked up his knight and took that pesky bishop. Must not reveal plans for world...I mean chess domination! Captain Knievel was shaking with excitement, or was that his liver shutting down from all the alcohol he had been drinking...Who cared?! He was going to win this!

chessgame28

This is becoming quite bothersome. "You're rapidly improving. Knock that off." Eric said with a smirk. He looked over the board for a moment, taking a swig from the bottle every now and then, though it looked like he had drained it already. Let's see if I can catch him in a flank. Eric then dramatically moved his rook across the board, snagging a mere pawn for his troubles. "Your move." said Eric as he got up from the table, probably to get another drink.

"Hey now, I am not going to just lay down and let you win this." Captain Knievel said as he filled his whiskey glass again. "That wouldn't be any fun. And furthermore, I am pretty sure you would resent that. I know how much you do so love a challenge."

Captain Knievel considered the danger that Malice's rook put him in. He was running out of power pieces, and while he still had his queen and she was in a great position to keep most of Malice's board locked down, she couldn't really do much. He had to start preserving his pieces if he wanted to win this game. He selected his knight and jumped the rook, placing his knight and most of his other pieces out of danger.

chessgame30

"Why else would you be friends with me?" The Captain asked with a wry smile.

Eric had to laugh at that last bit. Too true. Being friends with you is far from easy." Eric opened the bottle on his way back to the table, this time it was just soda. I might need all my wits for this one. He had already taken 7 of the Captain's pieces, if the Captain wanted to continue this game he would need to start playing more cautiously. Which on the other hand meant that Eric could start to take bigger risks. Eric broke his formation a little and moved his queen 1 space forward. "Here's your next challenge."

"Well that just kind of screws me over." Captain Knievel frowned. It was a good move. "That's not a challenge, that's a death sentence. No matter what I do here I am losing a piece I think." The Captain Sighed and finished off his last glass of whiskey.

"Oh well, lets see if we can't minimize the casualties..." He said, moving his knight

chessgame32

"I am getting some water, I'll be right back." He rose from his seat and crossed the room. "Don't move any of those pieces while I am not looking, now!"

"An unexpected move. But then again, so is this." With a quick stroke, Eric takes the Captain's queen with his own. With his queen down, he's lost pretty much all of his offensive force. Furthermore, he has little chance of getting it back because all of his pawns are on my heavily defended side of the board. I still have most of my pawns, so while I back him into a corner, I can get some reinforcements. That's the plan anyway.

"Which one did you take? The queen or the Knight?" Captain Knievel called from across the room. Returning to the board he saw that his question was answered for him.

"I wouldn't really say that was unexpected. Unless of course you have something else entirely up your sleeve. In that position it would be extremely difficult for me to believe that you would do anything but either of those two pieces."

While standing, Captain Knievel quickly took Malice's queen with his pawn.

chessgame34

"Not like I could really do anything else." he shrugged as he sat in the chair. A glass of water was in his hand, "Your move."

"Yeah, I've pretty much killed all your options at this point. I should have taken your knight to keep the pattern though." Malice points to all the pieces he's taken at the side of the board, reciting them in order of capture "Pawn, bishop, pawn, bishop, pawn, knight, pawn, queen." Eric gives a half shrug "But what will you do? Some sacrifices have to be made."

Now I just have to stall a few turns so I can get a pawn to the end of the board, but first, I have to get that knight to go where I want it. Eric moves his rook a few places over. "Your move."

"Dude. Only you would think of that." Captain Knievel said, exasperated. There really was not much he could do at this point. "That's an interesting move." he scratched his head a little bit. I would have expected you to keep taking pieces...Oh well."

Captain Knievel lifted the Rook that was guarding his king. "Time to finally bring this bad boy out."

chessgame36

"I am quite glad you did NOT take my Knight. I might need him later." Captain Knievel smirked.

"Heh. 'Might'? You might need him later. "Dude"... I've wiped half your pieces off the board, you need all of them."

Hrmm. Need to sure up my defenses in the back real quick. That second rook may very well be a problem. Good thing I can kill two birds with one stone. Eric then castles his King. Because I've got so many more pieces than he does, I can start trying to lock him down. I've gone a good job with his Knight already. If I can cut off those rooks, I'll have this in the bag.

"Your move."

"Castling at this point in the game is a pretty obvious tactic." Captain Knievel gave Malice a sour look. "You can do better than that."

Well that doesn't leave me any worse off. But it could make things more difficult. At the same time, if I play my cards right, that might have just lost him this match...

"I'll make the obvious move as well." Captain Knievel moved his knight to take Malice's bishop.

chessgame38

"This is quickly becoming a battle of pawns." Remarked Eric. "I didn't think you would take my bishop, not when you would lose your knight in the process." Relates Eric as he takes Captain's knight with his own. I thought you would adopt more of a guerilla attitude, striking at any target and then quickly retreating to fight another day. Guess that is not so. So will you hand me the rest of your offense now, or will you wait a few turns?"

"Pawns? What pawns? I don't see any pawns..." Captain Knievel's eyes gazed around the room as if looking for life sized pawns somewhere. The whiskey must have been getting to him. "Unless you are referring to you and I." Captain Knievel slid one of his Rooks across the board.

chessgame40

Despite the alcohol, his moves seemed to be becoming much more decisive. Almost like now that the clutter was off the board his tactical senses could really shine...Or that could just be the alcohol that Malice had consumed setting in...

"You're not thinking long term. You chase me to my end of the board, and for what purpose?" Eric moves his knight back to it's former position. "In case you weren't paying attention, you'll now note that everyone of my pieces on the board is protected by another in this position. By the same token 3 of your pieces are not protected. I have a superior number of pieces on the board, AND a superior defense. How do you intend to overcome this, by leaving your own pieces unprotected? This is why I've been able to take so many of your pieces; you don't think about defense."

chessgame41

"The best defense is a kick ass offense!" Captain Knievel gazed down at the board with a frown. This is about to get really ugly.

"The truth is, Malice, I don't need to overcome any of that to win this game. You're pieces may be able to defend each other well, but for me that does not apply." Captain Knievel sat back in his chair and crossed his arms. "This late in the game, I have two pieces to work with, excluding my king and those stupid pawns you seem to love so much. At this point I might as well just put my foot down, use what I have, and go for broke. If I don't do that now, I have no hope of winning. My positioning certainly can't get any worse. That's for sure." The Captain leaned forward once more. "The other thing you seem to neglect is this - Hubris. Your getting cocky and it will ruin you. Every defense, however fortified has holes. And I intend to find the holes in yours." The Captain moved a rook one single space.

chessgame42

Eric could barely contain himself. "You're saying that I have hubris. Refresh my memory, how many billboards of yourself did you have plastered all over town? It's the pot calling the kettle black is what that is right there. You're so obsessed with living for the now that you never stop and think about the future. Instead of adopting a guerilla fighting style to combat a larger force, you're just bum rushing. So go ahead, go for broke. Me, I'm going for the win; see you in a few turns." With that Eric moved his Knight up, moving in for the final push.

chessgame43

Thank god he didn't move it that other piece... that would have been disastrous...

*ahem* Captain Knievel coughed. "You mean to tell me you are not in fact black, my cast iron kettle friend? Now that I don't believe for a second. In truth, this is the perfect match-up. We are both just as cocky as the other. It makes for a solid game of chess."

Captain Knievel sighed... The final push, here goes nothing. I need to play this very delicately...

chessgame44

"Oh heck no. I'm arrogant as all get out. But... look around..." Eric waves his arms in he general direction of his fully furnished under ground fortress, filled to the brim with death machine. "I get **** done man. I'm used to taking things one step at a time. I go procedurally and methodically, always building on my past successes. A bum rush might work every now and then, but only when you take things slow and steady to you ensure stability. When you rush, you leave yourself undefended." Says Eric as he takes on of Captain Knievel's pawns.

chessgame45

"Maybe so, but I am still going to get all up in your grill in about five seconds. Captain Knievel rushed his other rook up to the top of the table. His king would have to take care of himself for a while.

chessgame46

"If you refuse to acknowlege that we are both in a dangerous situation here, you are not just being cocky or confident. You are just being stupid. I'm tell you I have a decent shot at winning this game, and you are ignoring that. It's not a decision I would make lightly.

Captain Knievel did pause to admire the weapons that were hanging around the room. "I do like the gun racks by the way."

"Yeah they do look quite nice don't they? The chrome trimming really accents well off the mahogany desk, and it adds a much needed pop of color, don't you think? But yeah back to the matter at hand. Yeah, the situation's dangerous, but that's no reason not to be confident. In case you haven't noticed, I work with some really dangerous stuff everyday. Base case scenario is something blowing up. I know what you're trying to do, and I know how to stop it. If your attack fails, then you'll probably lose one if not both of your rooks, and then I can take my sweet time finishing you off. You're down to your last hurrah, and I have something left in the tank. I'm sorry, but you're not winning this one." With that proclamation, Eric moved one of his pawns two spaces forward.

chessgame47

"That may be so..." Captain Knievel considered his options for a moment. "But at the very least I will do some damage." Captain Knievel slid his rook across the file to take Malice's placing his rook adjacent to the king. "Check."

chessgame48

"And while I may be bleeding pieces, one of two things is going to happen. Either I am eventually going to catch you, or you are going to take my last rook. Once all I have is my king and pawns, you only have seven turns to catch me before the game is declared a stalemate. Might it be possible that neither of us will win this?"

"Seven turns is plenty of time to get a pawn to the end of the board, get myself a new queen, and bring this game to an end. All you are doing is giving up any chance of winning the game." Eric takes the Captain's rook with his King. "If you just forfiet, you can save the both of us a bit of time. You fought valiantly, but victory is beyond your reach now."

chessgame49