Trade-Offs: +2 Atk/-2 Dmg

Unspent PP: 1

Characters Name: Midnight

Alternate Identity: Remington Carlisle

Height: 6'0"

Weight: 185 lbs.

Hair: Blonde

Eyes: Green

Description: A fit and well-groomed young man of exceptional breeding, Remington Carlisle keeps his blonde hair short and sports a stylish goatee. He only wears hand-tailored suits with designer shoes and belts when he's playing the part of the playboy heir to the Carlisle family fortune. As Midnight, he wears the trademark costume of his predecessor: a black suit and trench coat, a featureless black gas mask with red lenses, and a black fedora.

History: Born into old money, Remington Carlisle was very much an arrogant little snob during his formative years, an attitude his family supported as they felt it was proper behavior befitting a young Carlisle. His arrogance decreased as he grew older and more wise while he learned more about the real world, not the phony self-serving melodrama that came part and parcel with the silver spoon. Showing no great interest in pursuing financial or political endeavors, he spent much of his early adult life as a fixture in the Freedom City nightlife scene, reportedly spending upwards of $50,000 an evening when the mood struck him on extravegent soirees at the poshest clubs in Freedom City.

Late one night while driving intoxicated down an isolated stretch of road, he lost control of his Audi. When he woke up, he found himslef in a large field, his car was smashed and his left leg had a serious laceration. He tried calling 911 from his cellphone, but the area had no service. Crawling out of the wreckage, Remington decided he had to find a house or something before he bled out. He limped around in the darkness for what seemed like an eternity, his body becoming weak with blood loss, when he fell through a concealed wooden hatch that had rotted over the decades. His free-fall ended when he smacked into the ground below and knocked the wind out of him. When he came to he realized he was in a dimly lit underground lair of sorts, with antique computer and communication equipment and a slick Horch 853 Roadster that looked like it had been sitting there for half a century. Finding an ancient first-aid kit Remington was able to staunch the bleeding and rested for a moment, pondering the nature of this subterranean complex. Curiosity getting the better of him, he explored his surroundings. Having heard tales of the Liberty League like any true Feedomite, he soon came to realize that he must have stumbled into the fabled Midnight Manor. Poring over fifty-year old newspaper archives and the personal memoirs of Travis Hunter, the original Midnight, Remington delved deeply into the lore of Midnight, each page drawing him closer and closer to a calling that he was aware was forming in the back of his mind.

Disappearing for days at a time wasn't anything out of the ordinary for him, and finding a cache of preserved foodstuffs Remington invited himself to stay for a bit while he studied the life and adventures of the original Midnight. After a few days of research, a voice came from the darkness and startled Remington out of his studies. It was the entity known as Dr. Metropolis, and "he" spoke to Remington at length about the Midnight legacy. Seeing the heart of a hero beneath Remington's rich-boy facade, "he" proposed a deal for the young man. After taking Remington to a hospital to treat his injury, Metropolis would use his powers to update the Midnight Manor, if Remington swore to train himself to carry on the mantle of Midnight. Jumping at the opportunity, Remington Carlisle spent months studying martial arts and investigation skills under the tutelage of Raven, another hero who carried on the legacy of a Freedom City luminary.

When he was deemed ready to don the guise of Midnight, Remington made his presence known to the seedy underbelly of Freedom City. After reports of a matte black roadster blasting through the Fens and low-level Mob enforcers being found beaten to a pulp and their operations sabotaged, there was no question in the minds of criminals citywide: Midnight has returned!

Powers & Tactics: Remington has inherited the mantle of Midnight, and as such has access to the Midnight Manor and all the tools and weapons Travis Hunter had created or acquired during his career.

Complications: Enemy (organized crime), Fame (sole heir to the Carlisle fortune), Secret (Identity)

Stats: (4+6+4+6+6+4=30pp)

Str: 14 (+2)

Dex: 16 (+3)

Con: 14 (+2)

Int: 16 (+3)

Wis: 16 (+3)

Cha: 14 (+2)

Combat: (16+16=32pp)

Attack: +8 (+12 unarmed)

Grapple: +12

Defense: +8/+10 (+2 Dodge Focus, +4 flat-footed)

Knockback: -5 (-1 flat-footed)

Initiative: +3

Saves: (4+4+4=12pp)

Toughness: +10 (+2 Con, +5 Defensive Roll, +3 undercover vest)

Fortitude: +6 (+2 Con, +4)

Reflex: +7 (+3 Dex, +4)

Will: +7 (+3 Wis, +4)

Skills: (76r = 19pp)

Acrobatics 4 (+7)

Bluff 4 (+6)

Craft (chemical) 8 (+11)

Diplomacy 4 (+6)

Drive 4 (+7)

Gather Information 8 (+10)

Intimidate 8 (+10)

Investigate 6 (+9)

Knowledge (streetwise) 4 (+7)

Notice 8 (+11)

Search 6 (+9)

Sense Motive 6 (+9)

Stealth 6 (+9/+14 in dark/night environment))

Feats: (32pp)

Attack Specialization 2 (unarmed)

Benefit 2 (Wealth 2)

Connected

Defensive Roll 5

Dodge Focus 2

Equipment 6 (30ep)

Fearsome Presence 5 (25 feet, Will save DC 15)

Quickdraw 1 (draw)

Sneak Attack 5

Takedown Attack 2

Startle

Powers: (4+21=25pp)

Device 1 (Midnight Mask, 5 points, hard to lose)

Device 7 (Night Gun, 35 points, easy to lose)

Devices

Midnight Mask

Immune 2 (gases, midnight mist)

Sensory Shield 2 (vision)

Super-Senses 1 (infravision)

Night Gun

Obscure 5 (Extras: Continuous, Linked [stun])

Stun 5 (Extras: Area [burst], Continuous, Ranged, Sustained, Linked: [Obscure]; Drawbacks: Full Power)

Equipment: (1+4+17+8=30ep)

Camo Clothing (+5 Stealth in dark/night environment), Cost: 1 equipment points.

Midnight Manor

Size: Huge; Toughness: 15; Features: Communications, Computer, Concealed, Defense System, Garage, Holding Cells, Isolated, Laboratory, Library, Living Space, Power System, Security System. Cost: 17 equipment points.

Night Cruiser

Str: 35, Speed: 5, Defense: 8, Toughness 9, Size: Huge, Cost: 8 equipment points.

Undercover Vest (Protection 3; Power Feats: Subtle), Cost: 4 equipment points.

Drawbacks: (0pp)

none

DC Block:

ATTACKS:-----------------SAVE DC:-----------DAMAGE TYPE:

Fearsome Presence------15/Will-----------------Shaken/Flees/Panics

Sneak Attack-------------23/Toughness----------Bruise

Stun-----------------------15/Fortitude-----------Dazed/Stunned/Unconscious

Unarmed------------------17/Toughness-----------Bruise

Costs: Abilities (30) + Combat (32) + Saves (12) + Skills (19) + Feats (32) + Powers (25) - Drawbacks (00) = 150 / 151 PP

Stats: (4+6+4+6+5+5=30pp)

Str: 14 (+2)

Dex: 16 (+3)

Con: 14 (+2)

Int: 16 (+3)

Wis: 15 (+2)

Cha: 15 (+2)

Good. Not sure why you have odd ability scores, but to each his own.

Combat: (20+20=40pp)

Attack: +10

Grapple: +13

Defense: +10 (+4 flat-footed)

Knockback: -?

Initiative: +6

Firstly, his defense should be +5 flat footed. Secondly, his knockback modifier would be -3 (-1 flat footed) which is 1/2 his toughness save, I'll get back to that in a moment. Thirdly, as far as I can tell, his Initiative should be +3, all from Dex.

Saves: (5+5+5=15pp)

Toughness: +6 (+2 Con, +4 Defensive Roll)

Fortitude: +7 (+2 Con, +5)

Reflex: +8 (+3 Dex, +5)

Will: +7 (+2 Wis, +5)

Adds up, but there is a small "problem". With a Defense of +10 and a Toughness save of +6, you are only PL 8 Defensively, and you're not at your full offensive caps for any of your attacks either. This means you'll have a bit of trouble dealing with foes that are "on your level". I just want you to be aware of this issue, if you're fine with it then so am I.

Skills: (80r = 20pp)

Acrobatics 6 (+9)

Bluff 6 (+8)

Craft (chemical) 4 (+7)

Diplomacy 4 (+6)

Drive 4 (+7)

Gather Information 8 (+10)

Intimidate 8 (+10)

Investigate 6 (+9)

Knowledge (streetwise) 6 (+9)

Notice 8 (+10)

Search 8 (+11)

Sense Motive 6 (+8)

Stealth 6 (+9)

Looks good.

Feats: (29pp)

Benefit 2 (Wealth 2)

Chokehold

Connected

Defensive Roll 4

Equipment 5 (25 EP)

Fearsome Presence 4 (20 feet, Will save DC 14)

Grappling Finesse

Improved Grab

Improved Grapple

Jack-of-All-Trades

Master Plan

Power Attack

Quickdraw 1 (draw)

Sneak Attack 2

Takedown Attack 2

Startle

Adds up.

Powers: (4+12=16pp)

Device 1 (midnight mask, hard to lose)

Device 4 (night gun, easy to lose)

Obscure 3 (visual; Extras: Continuous; Flaws: Fades; Drawbacks: cannot reposition, countered by air and wind Powers)

Stun 5 (Extras: Area [Cloud])

The formatting needs a tweak.

Try this instead:

Powers: (4+12=16pp)

Device 1 (Midnight Mask, 5 points, Hard to Lose) [4pp]

Device 4 (Night Gun, 15 points, Easy to Lose) [12pp]

Devices

Midnight Mask

Night Gun

Obscure 3 (Visual; Extras: Continuous; Flaws: Fades; Drawbacks: cannot reposition, countered by air and wind Powers)

Stun 5 (Extras: Area [Cloud])

In addition, as it is currently, it looks like the Night Gun is over budget. Is the Stun an AP of the Obscure?

Equipment: (17+8=25ep)

Midnight Manor

Size: Huge; Toughness: 15; Features: Communications, Computer, Concealed, Defense System, Garage, Holding Cells, Isolated, Laboratory, Library, Living Space, Power System, Security System. Cost: 17 equipment points.

Night Cruiser

Str: 35, Speed: 5, Defense: 8, Toughness 9, Size: Huge, Cost: 8 equipment points

Looks good.

Good. Not sure why you have odd ability scores, but to each his own.

Fixed.

Firstly, his defense should be +5 flat footed. Secondly, his knockback modifier would be -3 (-1 flat footed) which is 1/2 his toughness save, I'll get back to that in a moment. Thirdly, as far as I can tell, his Initiative should be +3, all from Dex.

Fixed. Thanks for the Knockback formula, I couldn't find it in the Core Rules.

Adds up, but there is a small "problem". With a Defense of +10 and a Toughness save of +6, you are only PL 8 Defensively, and you're not at your full offensive caps for any of your attacks either. This means you'll have a bit of trouble dealing with foes that are "on your level". I just want you to be aware of this issue, if you're fine with it then so am I.

Fixed, and I'm cool where it is now. If I catch some baddies in the Midnight Mist, I can use Power Attack to Sneak Attack them for +10. Also, if I'm against a group of nobodies, I can use Takedown Attack 2 and Improved Grab on all of them.... the poor souls.

Looks good.

Fixed, plus I took 2 ranks from Search and added it to Craft (chemical).

Adds up.

Added 1 to Defensive Roll and Fearsome Presence each.

The formatting needs a tweak.

Try this instead:

In addition, as it is currently, it looks like the Night Gun is over budget. Is the Stun an AP of the Obscure?

I can't make heads or tails about the way his Night Gun works, so I rebuilt it with out Stun.

Looks good.

Thanks again for the advice. I don't know how any of you learned the Power Creation stuff on your own =]

Some things to think about:

You can meet your defensive caps with just one more PP spent on Equipment. (Undercover Vest [Protection 3, Subtle])

You're currently doing +5 unarmed damage with your Sneak Attack, right? With an Attack of +10? That's points you could spend elsewhere better. ;) Consider this approach:

Base Attack of +8 [16 points]

Attack Specialization: Unarmed 2 [2 points]

3 more ranks of Sneak Attack [3 points]

This gives you an unarmed Attack of +12 and unarmed damage of +8 for only one point more. That way you don't have to feel like you're too good of a fighter (since you're reliant on Sneak Attacks still) but you can actually meet your caps in combat (particularly if you buy the vest), and that really is a very good idea.

Here are the errata stats of Midnight's gas gun, if you want to use them:

Powers (21)

device 7 "gas gun" (21)

- Obscure +5 (linked: stun)

- Stun +5 (extras: area-burst +1, range +1, duration-sustained +2, linked: obscure +5, drawback: full power -1)

• 2 months later...