Trade-Offs: +1 Attack, -1 DC, +3 Defense, -3 Toughness

Unspent PP: 13

Characters Name: Dalkaresh, Lord of the Elusive Dream

Alternate Identity: Damien Silver

Height: 6’

Weight: 140 lb.

Hair: Ashen Gray

Eyes: Grass Green

Description: In their primal form, Dalkaresh’s body is both slim and elegant, and they stands as tall as an average human being, but their skin is excessively pale, most of their features are indiscernible because their flesh is in constant flux, moving around like smoke in a changing breeze, swirling this way and that. The only thing that is easily discerned in this undulating mass is their eyes, green as sprouting grass. Their hair is the color of ash and is so long that it runs all the way down to their buttocks. Seemingly the container of their ephemeral form is a ruby red tattoo; starting at the forehead, slithering and swirling all the way down to the feet, then back up again, without beginning or end.

But even that form is but a reflection of Dalkaresh’s friendly demeanor, when angered, the color of their body shifts, white becomes black, what was previously fair and elusive, becomes writhing and horrible, and the previously fluid tattoo becomes jagged and crude.

In their right hand is a thin blade of translucent crystal, forged from thoughts of malevolence and anger, Vehemence is its name and violence is its purpose, because it is not truly real, there are few things that can stand in its way. On their left arm, running from the elbow to the fingertips is a gauntlet, the glove part is made from solid crystal, but from the wrist to the elbow, it is an amalgamation of chains spun around the arm, only the most perceptive will recognize the reason for its namesake: Phobia. Every link in the chain is a nightmare. When Dalkaresh is attacked, Phobia reacts to their thoughts and the chain unravels from around their arm to swipe at the attacker, or to absorb the impact.

To avoid the unnecessary issues that come with being as alien as they, Dalkaresh assumes the form of the human Damien Silver, a fictional identity created by them: Damien is an elderly silver haired gentleman, the proprietor of Silver's Rare Books and Antiquities, a dusty old store in Lantern Hills.

History: Birth, such concept was foreign to Dalkaresh for eons; from the time of the first dream, they was there, ever present and ever watching, as elusive as the dreams that shaped them. In the beginning, they were but phantasms, snippets of ideas and imagination, incohesive and scattered in every corner of the realm of the fey, yet, they were one, and they knew it. For millennia they did nothing but wallow in the unconsciousness of the mortals, weaving through the tapestry of imagination, but as dreams became stronger and more numerous, the fragments began to unite, finally becoming the cohesive entity known as Dalkaresh, which took their rightful place as the lord of dreams in the council of the fey as the first civilization of man rose to its pinnacle.

But such prestige was nothing to Dalkaresh; once again they felt the absence of something within themselves, this time not in their being, but in their heart. For millennia’s they stalked the dreams of man, searching for the missing piece, and they did find it, in the dreams of a woman named Aderyn. They came to her in her dreams, at first as snippets and hollow phantasms with promises of otherworldly pleasures in return for her cooperation, but soon enough they did take a form more closely resembling that of the humans and although the High Court of the Fey warned them about mingling with a human at the cost of their duty, Dalkaresh continued their illustrious game with Aderyn. As time went by, they learnt what it meant to be human, their emotions and their ways; it came to care for Aderyn in a way unexplainable beyond one simple word: “love.†Dalkaresh fashioned a body to walk the earth, much to the surprise and joy of Aderyn and the horror of the High Court. With Aderyn, the first children of the line of Silver were born, and thus began Dalkaresh's deadly struggle with the High Court.

Although they spent a lifetime together, to Dalkaresh Aderyn’s life was little more than a raindrop in the ocean, and it pained them greatly, after her demise they mourned her for centuries. The cycle continued, Dalkaresh fell in love, and as time passed them by, their lover demised, leaving but more of their kin. All of this continued until the 1800’s where Vashtath, Lord of the Western Wind had had enough, they assaulted Dalkaresh and their lover, although Dalkaresh defeated and banished Vashtath back to the realm of the fey, they had been gravely wounded, and their lover Elisabeth lay dying with their newborn child cradled in her arms, fearing another attack, Dalkaresh took the child and crafted an elaborate illusion that convinced a man named Bernheart Silberman (the individual which Dalkaresh deemed most susceptible to persuasion) that the child was his, before leaving it in his care and vanishing.

They began a shop by the name of Silver's Rare Books and Antiquities as an elderly man by the name of Damien Silver, on what later became known as Latern Hill in Freedom City, there they've spent the better part of the last 200 years recovering from their injuries and hiding, biding their time until their powers return.

Three years ago, a young boy by the name of John Campbell entered Dalkaresh’s shop, fleeing from his school bullies, Dalkaresh, missing both company and the feeling of fatherhood, took the boy under their wing, and has since then been teaching him many things, though they have still been unwilling to reveal their true nature, fearing that the boy might either flee, or worse yet, want to help them.

Personality & Motivation: An ancient being in both heart and mind, Dalkaresh tends to be very aloof to the point of seemingly arrogance, unfazed by most things as they are. Paradoxically, they have learned to enjoy the small pleasures in life, and therefore often spend time in nature, but they have a tendency to forget about the mortality of those around them, and instead assume that others feel like they. Even so, Dalkaresh is a strong believer in the principles of the live and let live policy, they are unwilling to rob any living being of life, and they abhor others doing so.

Powers & Tactics: Because of their nature, Dalkaresh is capable of bypassing some of the essential rules that govern those of the real world: distance and obstacles holds little meaning to them, instead of moving, they simply overcomes the distance between themselves and their intended destination with a simple though, traversing such lengths in the fraction of the time a human would. Similarly, Vehemence, a blade forged from pure thought ignores all but the toughest barriers, because it is not truly real, it can stretch and twist on a mere thought from Dalkaresh. As Vehemence is nothing but a solidification of thought, Dalkaresh can use it to dislodge a part of a persons dream self, letting Dalkaresh devour it for sustenance.

Dalkaresh has two forms, both of which are dependant on their mood, when not angry; they use the Embodiment of the Elusive Dreamer, which apart from making unexplainably fair to any onlooker, also lends towards a fluid combat technique, their form seems to dissolve, becoming even more hazy than normal, every blow against them never seems certain to hit. Embodiment of the Harrowing Nightmare, Dalkaresh’s second form, only reveals itself when they are angered, the previously fluid and elusive movements solidify and become cruder.

The primary tactics of Dalkaresh is very focused around hit and run, using their rapid movement to hurt their enemy and disappear before anyone knows any better.

Complications:

Stats: [-4+10+4+4+2+12 = 28pp]

Str: 6 (-2)

Dex: 20 (+5)

Con: 14 (+2)

Int: 14 (+2)

Wis: 12 (+1)

Cha: 22 (+6)

Combat: [6+12 = 18pp]

Attack: +3; +7 Melee; +11 w/ Vehemence

Grapple: +5 (+12 in Embodiment of the Elusive Dream)

Defense: +6; +13 w/ Phobia (+3 flat-footed) (+6 Base Defense)

Knockback: -5; -7 w/ Phobia

Initiative: +9

Saves: [5+3+9 = 17pp]

Toughness: +7 (4 Impervious; 7 w/ Phobia), (+2 Con, +5 Protection)

Fortitude: +7 (+2 Con, +5 Base)

Reflex: +8 (+5 Dex, +3 Base)

Will: +10 (+1 Wis, +9 Base)

Skills: [76r = 19pp]

Acrobatics 5 (+10)

Concentration 14 (+15)

Craft (Artistic) 7 (+9)

Diplomacy 6 (+12)

Escape Artist 5 (+10)

Gather Information 4 (+10)

Knowledge (Arcane Lore) 8 (+10)

Knowledge (Art) 2 (+4)

Knowledge (History) 4 (+6)

Notice 5 (+6)

Perform (Poetry) 6 (+12)

Sense Motive 6 (+7)

Survival 4 (+5)

Feats: 13pp

Accurate Attack

Attack Focus (Melee) 4

Attack Specialization 2 (Vehemence)

Evasion

Fearless

Improved Initiative

Jack of All Trades

Quick Draw

Power Attack

Powers: 65pp

Alternate Form 2 (Dream Sculptor/Dream; APs: 3) [13 pp]

Embodiment of the Elusive Dream

Enhanced Feats 6 (Attractive 2, Evasion, Fascinate (Perform), Grappling Finesse, Instant Up) (6 fp)

Mirror Image 1 (4 fp)

AP:Alternate Form 2 (10 fp)

Embodiment of the Harrowing Nightmare

Emotion Control 10 (Extras: Area (General, Perception), Flaws: Fear Only, Range (Personal)) (5 fp)

Enhanced Feats 2 (Blindfight, Startle) (2 fp)

Enhanced Skills 3 (Intimidate +12) (3 fp)

AP: Illusion (All) 10 (Flaws: Action, Check Required (Craft (Artistic), Phantasm)

AP: Morph 5 (Extras: Duration [Continuous]) Can only turn into his alter ego, Damien Silver

Comprehend 2 Languages ("Tongue of the Dreamer") [4 pp]

Device 2 Hard to Lose (Phobia/Thought; PFs: Restricted) (10 dp) [9 pp]

Shield 7 (7 dp)

Impervious Toughness 3 (3 dp)

Device 6 Easy to Lose (Vehemence/Thought; PFs: Restricted) (30 dp) [19 pp]

Strike 9 (Extras: Penetrating, Autofire; PFs: Split Attack; APs: 2) [30 pp]

AP: Strike 9 (Extras: Area (General, Shaped), Penetrating (6); PFs: Progression 4 [225 shapeable squares])

AP:Strike 9 (Extras: Alternate Save (Will), Vampiric; PFs: Affect Insubstantial)

Immunity 5 (Age, Diseases, Poison, Eat, Sleep) [5 pp]

Protection 5 (Extras: Impervious (4)) [9 pp]

Teleport 3 (Fey Step/Thought; Extras: Accurate; Flaws: Short, Limited (Cannot have passengers); PFs: Change Velocity, Moving Feint, Turnabout) [6 pp]

Drawbacks: 10pp

Weakness (Iron): -1 Con every 6 seconds of exposure (7 pp)

Vulnerability (Iron): +100% DC (3 pp)

DC Block:

ATTACKS:--------------SAVE DC:-----------DAMAGE TYPE:

Emotion Control 10----20/Will-------------Shaken/Frightened/Panicked.

Illusion 10---------------20/Will--------------Other

Strike 9 (Pen, Auto)---24/Toughness-----Bruise/Injury

Strike 9 (Area, Pen)---19/Ref, 24/Toug-Bruise/Injury

Strike 9 (Alt, Vamp)----24/Will------------Bruise/Injury

Costs: Abilities (28) + Combat (18) + Saves (17) + Skills (19) + Feats (13) + Powers (65) - Drawbacks (10) = 150 / 163 Total Cost

Welcome to the boards.

Nice history and description. You'll need to flush out the personality and motivations, even if for redundancy's sake before you can be approved, but I don't think that will be a difficult task based on your apparent writing skills. Essentially, spell out why they're a hero.

Stats: [-2+10+4+4+12 = 28pp]

Str: 8 (-1)

Dex: 20 (+5)

Con: 10 (+0)

Int: 14 (+2)

Wis: 14 (+2)

Cha: 22 (+6)

Adds up, but see my notes at the end.

Combat: [6+12 = 18pp]

Attack: +3; +7 Melee; +11 w/ Vehemence

Grapple: +2

Defense: +6; +13 w/ Phobia (+6 flat-footed)

Knockback: -5; -7 w/ Phobia

Initiative: +9

A few errors here. Your grapple modifier is +6 as Attack Focus Melee adds to grapple checks, and it is +12 when in the Ebodiment of the Elusive Dream, please make a note of that. Secondly, your flat-footed defense is +3, only 1/2 of Defense adds when flat-footed and Shield does not add at all. Also, might want to consider a few more ranks in Attack rather than the knockoffs as it makes you a bit more vulnerable to different tactics your foes can employ. One last thing can you please add "(Base Defense +6)" at the end of the Defense line? It'll make any future edits to Defense easier on the refs.

Saves: [7+3+9 = 19pp]

Toughness: +7 (4 Impervious; 7 w/ Phobia), (+0 Con, +7 Protection)

Fortitude: +7 (+0 Con, +7 Base)

Reflex: +8 (+5 Dex, +3 Base)

Will: +11 (+2 Wis, +9 Base)

Adds up, but see my notes at the end.

Skills: 76r = 19pp

Acrobatics 5 (+10)

Concentration 14 (+16)

Craft (Artistic) 7 (+9)

Diplomacy 6 (+12)

Escape Artist 5 (+10)

Gather Information 4 (+10)

Knowledge (Arcane Lore) 8 (+10)

Knowledge (Art) 2 (+4)

Knowledge (History) 7 (+9)

Language 1 (English, Native: Old Celtic)

Notice 5 (+7)

Perform (Dance) 6 (+11)

Sense Motive 6 (+8)

Survival 4 (+6)

I'm counting 80 ranks. Double check.

Feats: 15pp

Accurate Attack

Attack Specialization 2 (Vehemence)

Elusive Target

Evasion

Fearless

Improved Initiative

Jack of All Trades

Melee Focus 4

Quick Draw

Power Attack

Skill Mastery (Perform (Dance), Craft (Artistic), Acrobatics, Gather Information)

Adds up. I am however leery of using attack specialization twice on an array. Let me run it by the other refs, but you might have to change it.

Powers: 59pp

Alternate Form (Dream Sculptor/Dream; Flaws: Distracting; APs: 3) [11 pp]

AP:Alternate Form 2 (10 fp)

AP: Illusion (All) 10 (Flaws: Action, Check Required (Craft (Artistic), Distracting, Phantasm, PFs: Progression 3)

AP: Morph 4 (Extras: Duration) Can only turn into his alter ego, Damien Silver

Quite a few errors here.

Firstly on the Elusive Dream Alternate form, there is no indication of what rank you have in that power, please denote its rank. Secondly, having the Distracting flaw on it doesn't exactly fit the thematic connotations of Elusive. People have a 50-50 shot of either missing you entirely, or crushing you in the face. Finally, with its flaw, it costs 8 points. As this is the first power in the array, it is the base power and sets the allowable point totals for every other power in the array. As such, no power in the array can have more than 8 points, two of them do. You can easily rectify this by changing which power is the base power of the array.

Next is the Nightmare form. Firstly, denote as to whether or not the area is General or Targeted, and likewise denote that the action is Full Round. Then there is Range flaw. You see, by having the Perception Area, which requires no attack rolls, and the Range Range, which requires an attack roll, you have in fact, divided by zero as near as I can tell. Rest of the form looks good though.

Then Illusion. I'm a bit worried that it's too Flaw heavy, unofficially. Sustaining this power will chew up your standard actions every round, and your Defense will plummet while using it, and it won't work against machines either. Also denote that it has a 50ft radius.

Morph, just denote that it is Continuous Duration.

Devices and the rest of the powers are done correctly.

You've got 9 points of Drawbacks, not 8.

Now for my notes at the end. What I suggest is taking a few points out of fortitude and protection and instead buying Constitution. Same overall mechanical effect, only now you recover from injury faster, and are less vulnerable to those nasty Constitution Drains, like from Iron.

Everything else is being noted, taken into consideration and fixed where ever applicable.

Then there is Range flaw. You see, by having the Perception Area, which requires no attack rolls, and the Range Range, which requires an attack roll, you have in fact, divided by zero as near as I can tell. Rest of the form looks good though.

Any area of effect ability have two things that are going to be taken into consideration when trying to affect anyone, area and point of origin, range denotes point of origin, a fireball for example would have Range: Ranged and could be an Explosive area, which means I can deposit the explosion somewhere within the range of ranged.

Now, the Perception Area denotes the area of this ability, not the range, it allows me to affect anyone capable of perceiving the point of origin with a single sense of my choice (this particular instance sight), and the point of origin should be me, if it has a range anything above touch I would be able to deposit the nightmarish visage anywhere within the restricted area and from there anyone capable of perceiving the point of origin would be affected.

Similarly it was Range: Perception I would be able to deposit the area of whatever within the range of my perception.

What you want is Range: Ranged to place it at any point or range: touch to keep it centered on you.

The Area of effect is based on the Area extra so you would want Area: Perception for the Area extra and then either touch or Ranged for the range.

The Perception Area however already includes the Sense dependant flaw so if you have that on the power its a +2 rather than +1 extra.

With perception range they still get the reflex save and suffer no effect if they succeed (looking away at the last second or what not) then if they fail they save VS effect if neccisary.

Are you sure you want to play a melee fighter with such shockingly low Strength? You are basically a readied Disarm away from having terrible things happen, just terrible. ;) (I don't have a problem with it; all characters should have a good, solid weakness.)

Are you sure you want an Iron weakness that severe? (Note that by comparison it's only slightly worse than a vampire's allergy to sunlight.)

Are you sure you want to play a melee fighter with such shockingly low Strength? You are basically a readied Disarm away from having terrible things happen, just terrible. ;) (I don't have a problem with it; all characters should have a good, solid weakness.)
I'll take my chances

Are you sure you want an Iron weakness that severe? (Note that by comparison it's only slightly worse than a vampire's allergy to sunlight.)
That's how things ended up in during character creation, and yes, I'm sure I want that sever weakness to iron.
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...